PDA

View Full Version : B.A.D. Lantac build

Skypainter
15 March 2016, 09:35
I've been a lurker here for some years and finally decided to build out a few AR's and I'm hoping to get some guidance. From what I can tell this seems like the best forum to take advice from. So here we go. For this particular build I'm really trying to create a good looking rifle that still functions. This will basically be used for target shooting. Here is a list so far of what I have or plan to get. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

B.A.D. PDW lower
Lantac UAR upper
Lantac e-bcg
Lantac dragon brake
AXTS Raptor nib or just the regular, still undecided
Lantac spada s 15" still unsure if BMD will fit with the 15" rail (plan to buy)
Lantac BMD when available (plan to buy)

Barrel and trigger I could definitely use some advice on.

I'll try to get some photos up as it moves along.

Skypainter
15 March 2016, 09:55

Quick shot of the upper and lower.

Dstrbdmedic167
15 March 2016, 10:08
Welcome to Wevo! Great start to an awesome build. What is your budget on the remaining items?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
15 March 2016, 10:26
I've been a lurker here for some years and finally decided to build out a few AR's and I'm hoping to get some guidance. From what I can tell this seems like the best forum to take advice from. So here we go. For this particular build I'm really trying to create a good looking rifle that still functions. This will basically be used for target shooting. Here is a list so far of what I have or plan to get. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

B.A.D. PDW lower
Lantac UAR upper
Lantac e-bcg
Lantac dragon brake
AXTS Raptor nib or just the regular, still undecided
Lantac spada s 15" still unsure if BMD will fit with the 15" rail (plan to buy)
Lantac BMD when available (plan to buy)

Barrel and trigger I could definitely use some advice on.

I'll try to get some photos up as it moves along.

On the barrel and trigger I will thrown my 2cents in there. #1. I am a big fan of the CMC single stage flat triggers. Drop it in a fuggheta bout it. I doubt you will find many here that will argue.

Unless you have some specific preference as to style of trigger that's a great option. I am certain there are a ton of other fantastic triggers out there though.

As for the barrel I will say the same thing I have said to others. "Target shooting" is not very specific. For me that could mean me trying to make 1/2" groups at 100 yards, or it could mean lobbing rounds down range to 600 yards or beyond, or it could mean shooting tin cans at 50 yards with Wal Mart ammo.

It also will depend on how heavy of a shooter you are. Another factor is what kind of investment are you wanting to make in ammo?

If you want to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards that will require one tier of barrel and one tier of ammo. If you just want to shoot steel plates at 100 yards you can go with something totally different and save yourself a whole lot of money and pick up other benefits as well (all while spending a lot less money).

Stainless barrels can be better but that depends on where you get them from. That said they won't stand up to extremely heavy shooting routines nearly as much as other options. Other barrels however might not provide 1/2 moa performance, but then again if you're not shooting match ammo all the time it won't matter. In the end you will wind up with a fine shooter that is probably twice if not more than twice as durable.

It's not that one is 'good' and the other is 'bad' it's just that one is designed for one thing and the other for another. Both could be extremely good quality. You just have to pick based on your intended use.

Jerry R
15 March 2016, 10:52
Agree with Alamo on the barrel options, but have a question on "target shooting" ... A PDW lower/stock may be less than ideal off the bench - a great stock - but not sure if it is best suited for benchrest. If you are square-box target shooting - action environment from various positions, then terrific. Like stated above, target shooting has many connotations; and the build-out should either specifically fit the need, or be generic enough to suit multiple use-types.

You said you want to build out a few, awesome idea. If this is your first, think long and hard about the future builds. A sub-MOA rifle may (or may not) be your next choice. Build this one exactly how you want it, but consider what you are going to do next. If you plan to have multiple builds, none have to be "one size fits all" for your shooting wants.

SINNER
15 March 2016, 11:05
For your intentions with this rifle, I think you chose a poor lower. Those PDW stocks are a compromise for the sake of a very compact rifle. Suffering with a stock like that on a rifle with a 16" barrel is an exercise in futility.

Don't take this as I don't like those lowers, as I have one of the very first CMT ones they released. Great design for its intended purpose, a PDW.

EO3
15 March 2016, 12:34
+1 on the lower choice. I'm sure the BAD PDW is amazing, but it's not really your best option unless you're going to SBR with it if you ask me.

Aragorn
15 March 2016, 13:04
Raptor CH is awesome, but don't bother with NiB. I bought one, it feels identical to the standard when charging. It's not polished or smoothed up and it's nothing at all like going from a phosphate to a NiB BCG.

Unless you just want it for the color.

alamo5000
15 March 2016, 13:08
I wonder how a PDW would feet mated on a 14.5 with a pinned/welded muzzle device? That would be the only way around SBRing the lower.
On a 10.5-12.5 the PDW seems like it would be great.

Others have all made excellent points. The PDW styles seem awesome and probably are but their intended use isn't going to be benchrest shooting.

EO3
15 March 2016, 13:18
I wonder how a PDW would feet mated on a 14.5 with a pinned/welded muzzle device? That would be the only way around SBRing the lower.
On a 10.5-12.5 the PDW seems like it would be great.

Others have all made excellent points. The PDW styles seem awesome and probably are but their intended use isn't going to be benchrest shooting.

He could even go 13.7 with a pinned/welded BE 249F or 249S without SBRing. Like you said, though, I think a PDW would be less than ideal for shooting from a bench.

Joelski
15 March 2016, 14:29
SBR that receiver! Only way its meant to be enjoyed. My advice is shift your plans to SBR first, since you have an ideal receiver group, then build a monster precision rifle, if that's what you want. You might just find that the shorty setup will give you all the reach you desire, plus the kick in the pants of owning an NFA item.

alamo5000
15 March 2016, 14:36
SBR that receiver! Only way its meant to be enjoyed. My advice is shift your plans to SBR first, since you have an ideal receiver group, then build a monster precision rifle, if that's what you want. You might just find that the shorty setup will give you all the reach you desire, plus the kick in the pants of owning an NFA item.

Just an extra $200 bucks. But then of course you will need a suppressor as well.... and down that rabbit hole we go :)

Skypainter
15 March 2016, 18:14
Thanks for all the helpful feedback. A lot of good points to consider going forward. I'll try and address some of the replies the best I can.

For this build the budget is sort of open. I just want to be wise about what I'm paying for a particular part. The bad pdw was I'll admit an impulse buy. It looked so good I just hit buy before thinking it out. Now I find myself going against the grain a little bit with trying to make this lower work and not be an
Sbr.

The CMC trigger I will definitely go check out. Thank you for that.

I shoulda clarified I wanted to use this more for movement target shooting. No bench shooting.

I have thought about the sbr route but there are some things that concern me especially with the political climate and the amount of time an approval takes. Also correct, adequate, proper storage is another big concern. May be worth my time to do a little more research on it.

Think I'm still gonna try and build out the shortest barrel with pinned/welded brake and if it doesn't feel right with the pdw then I will switch to a different lower.

Thanks for the heads up on the raptor. I think I will take your advice and just grab the regular version.

EO3
15 March 2016, 18:55
Thanks for all the helpful feedback. A lot of good points to consider going forward. I'll try and address some of the replies the best I can.

For this build the budget is sort of open. I just want to be wise about what I'm paying for a particular part. The bad pdw was I'll admit an impulse buy. It looked so good I just hit buy before thinking it out. Now I find myself going against the grain a little bit with trying to make this lower work and not be an
Sbr.

The CMC trigger I will definitely go check out. Thank you for that.

I shoulda clarified I wanted to use this more for movement target shooting. No bench shooting.

I have thought about the sbr route but there are some things that concern me especially with the political climate and the amount of time an approval takes. Also correct, adequate, proper storage is another big concern. May be worth my time to do a little more research on it.

Think I'm still gonna try and build out the shortest barrel with pinned/welded brake and if it doesn't feel right with the pdw then I will switch to a different lower.

Thanks for the heads up on the raptor. I think I will take your advice and just grab the regular version.

Check out weaponoutfitters.com! They have a nice 13.7" barrel and will pin and weld a BE Meyers 249F to the barrel to get out to 16" overall. The CMC Single Flat is also a great bang for your buck.

Naytwan
15 March 2016, 19:51
Check out weaponoutfitters.com! They have a nice 13.7" barrel and will pin and weld a BE Meyers 249F to the barrel to get out to 16" overall. The CMC Single Flat is also a great bang for your buck.

I'm running the 13.7" track barrel (Weapon Outfitters branded Micro MOA barrel). The thing is very nice. I havent done any accuracy testing cause ive been to lazy to put a scope on the thing but I was tagging a plate at 150 yards without issue after a 50 yard zero. Micro MOA guarantees 1 moa at 100 yards. I hope I can get it to the range and test it this weekend. I'm running the 249 Saker. You will need the spacer with it to make 16" OAL. My rifle with Magpul SL is almost 31". I'm running an SSA in it.

EO3
15 March 2016, 20:44
I'm running the 13.7" track barrel (Weapon Outfitters branded Micro MOA barrel). The thing is very nice. I havent done any accuracy testing cause ive been to lazy to put a scope on the thing but I was tagging a plate at 150 yards without issue after a 50 yard zero. Micro MOA guarantees 1 moa at 100 yards. I hope I can get it to the range and test it this weekend. I'm running the 249 Saker. You will need the spacer with it to make 16" OAL. My rifle with Magpul SL is almost 31". I'm running an SSA in it.

Sounds very similar to what I'm going to build! I think I'm going to go with the Ballistic Advantage 13.7" instead, but I'm going to go with the 249 Saker as well. Glad to hear you like it!

Skypainter
15 March 2016, 21:35

I went over and checked out the barrels and hiders. I think I might need to have the kx5. From a visual standpoint that's exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish. I may check out some reviews on it. Some interesting barrel choices.

Skypainter
15 March 2016, 21:37

Thanks for sharing your experience with this barrel and the 249. Much appreciated.

Naytwan
15 March 2016, 22:15
Sounds very similar to what I'm going to build! I think I'm going to go with the Ballistic Advantage 13.7" instead, but I'm going to go with the 249 Saker as well. Glad to hear you like it!

Its a good barrel so far and price is right. Between my friends and I the weekend after I built it we put 300 rounds threw it. Ran flawlessly. Ran nothing but wolf gold and american eagle. Many sodas died that day :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with this barrel and the 249. Much appreciated.

Only "issue" I have is the 249 pings like a tuning fork. I ended up wrapping wire around the channel at the end of the hider. No more ping. I have another rifle with a KX3 on a 13.7" barrel. That is also a fun gun to shoot. I like the barrel length. The WO barrel seems like a good option to me. Like I mentioned above, 300 rounds in a saturday morning and its been good so far. I plan to run it threw a class in May. I can highly recommend it and Weapon Outfitters. Good people over there.

Tyrannosaur
16 March 2016, 04:18
Weapon outfitters has separated lots of my money from my wallet, highly recommended

Skypainter
22 May 2016, 13:12
After reading all the responses and doing some more thinking and reading I've decided to still build out the upper without going sbr for now. If it ends up just not feeling right or is unenjoyable to shoot I'll switch the upper to one of the gfy lowers I grabbed and set the pdw aside to sbr at a later time as what probably should be done anyways. It may work out that I love it without going sbr but If it doesn't at least I can throw the upper on a different lower. I did add some things to the list.

I grabbed the erathr3 non ti freedom bone and the smos raptor and will see if there is any benefits of one over the other in non sbr form.
V7 port door and rod
Gonna go with the cmc single stage flat 3.5
Forward controls ldfa ti dlc
Noveske kx5
Decided on the noveske 13.7 infidel
Still sticking with the spade s 13.5
Executive ordnance trax L ( think it will go well with the spada)if it ends up not feeling right I'll probably end up with something from Magpul.

Shouldn't be too much longer before I acquire everything and get some photos and thoughts on how it shoots up. Thanks again for all the helpful info, it is greatly appreciated.

Stickman
22 May 2016, 16:18
After reading all the responses and doing some more thinking and reading I've decided to still build out the upper without going sbr for now. If it ends up just not feeling right or is unenjoyable to shoot I'll switch the upper to one of the gfy lowers I grabbed and set the pdw aside to sbr at a later time as what probably should be done anyways. It may work out that I love it without going sbr but If it doesn't at least I can throw the upper on a different lower. I did add some things to the list.

I grabbed the erathr3 non ti freedom bone and the smos raptor and will see if there is any benefits of one over the other in non sbr form.
V7 port door and rod
Gonna go with the cmc single stage flat 3.5
Forward controls ldfa ti dlc
Noveske kx5
Decided on the noveske 13.7 infidel
Still sticking with the spade s 13.5
Executive ordnance trax L ( think it will go well with the spada)if it ends up not feeling right I'll probably end up with something from Magpul.

Shouldn't be too much longer before I acquire everything and get some photos and thoughts on how it shoots up. Thanks again for all the helpful info, it is greatly appreciated.

I like the parts list.

Any reason you're going with the 13.7? Because of the Pig?

Skypainter
22 May 2016, 17:08
I like the parts list.

Any reason you're going with the 13.7? Because of the Pig?

Well that's great news, atleast I'm heading in a good direction.

I decided on the 13.7 because its as close as I can get to a sbr and I honestly really like the way it will look With the pig and the rail. Originally had planned to do a 14.5 with the dragon and lantacs BMD but scratched that after reading there was a shorter option.

UWone77
23 May 2016, 17:02
Well that's great news, atleast I'm heading in a good direction.

I decided on the 13.7 because its as close as I can get to a sbr and I honestly really like the way it will look With the pig and the rail. Originally had planned to do a 14.5 with the dragon and lantacs BMD but scratched that after reading there was a shorter option.

But it's still going to be a 16.1" gun that's front heavy.

If you want a short barrel without the SBR have you considered using a KAK shockwave blade?

Skypainter
23 May 2016, 20:54
But it's still going to be a 16.1" gun that's front heavy.

If you want a short barrel without the SBR have you considered using a KAK shockwave blade?

Hmm from a visual standpoint I thought the shorter looking rail with the pig sticking out more may look better but I did not give much thought to it being front heavy. Thanks for bringing that up.

As far as the Kak goes that wouldn't work as I have the monolithic pdw.

UWone77
23 May 2016, 21:16
Hmm from a visual standpoint I thought the shorter looking rail with the pig sticking out more may look better but I did not give much thought to it being front heavy. Thanks for bringing that up.

After trying out a bunch of uppers on the PDW stock, I will conclude a 7.5" works the best as far as a "PDW" or a 8" 300 BLK. Aesthetically, longer barrels just look goofy with the short stock.

Aragorn
23 May 2016, 21:26
After trying out a bunch of uppers on the PDW stock, I will conclude a 7.5" works the best as far as a "PDW" or a 8" 300 BLK. Aesthetically, longer barrels just look goofy with the short stock.

Not to hijack, but I know both you and Voodoo run 7.5" uppers. I'd always thought velocity from a barrel that short was insufficient for bullet performance. I guess my question is are they actually viable weapons?, or just for punching paper? In 5.56 I mean.

EO3
23 May 2016, 22:39

I agree that it seems a bit odd to want to use a PDW lower with a 16" OAL barrel. However, if it's what your heart desires, I would also suggest either the BE Meyers 249F or 249S as they will weigh a decent amount less than a KX3/5.

fledge
23 May 2016, 23:12
I agree with others on keeping it short. The PDW stock is good for what it is. But not nearly as comfortable nor practical as a typical stock.

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider selling the PDW lower. You can probably do so with minimal loss. Get a normal BAD billet lower (since you like them) and a normal buffer tube and make it a pistol with a short barrel, if you don't want to Form 1 it. After you make it a pistol, get another full length upper and normal stock. That way you can switch back and forth. If it stays as a pistol you can make into a normal rifle and back to a pistol again. If you want to SBR later, you can always add the BAD PDW stock as add-on which leaves you with the same overall dimension on the lower as the integrated PDW format.

Just my 2¢ but I think this will pay off far more for you in the long run.

Skypainter
25 May 2016, 14:23

Alright so I'm going to stop being stubborn and sbr the pdw and instead use one of the gfy lowers in its place( no BADS to be had). I put a few photos up in case anyone was curious about how they match up together.

Keeping the same trigger. I will go with the abc/r and the emr from forward controls. Same hand guard as well. Stock still unsure of. I was wondering, would it be wise to go with the heavy buffer tube from v7 to help even the weight out with the pig?

NATOgaspiston
20 March 2017, 19:35
Any further updates?

I'm doing almost an identical build but was thinking of going 12.5 rail and kx3 instead of 13.5 and kx5 to give more of the short look. I already have a go to rifle, this is just a fun build I wanted to do as a range shooter so I'm leaning slightly more on the cosmetics side than practical. But I'd be curious to see what your build would look like once assembled.

Skypainter
27 March 2017, 10:43
Any further updates?

I'm doing almost an identical build but was thinking of going 12.5 rail and kx3 instead of 13.5 and kx5 to give more of the short look. I already have a go to rifle, this is just a fun build I wanted to do as a range shooter so I'm leaning slightly more on the cosmetics side than practical. But I'd be curious to see what your build would look like once assembled.

Unfortunately the build came to a halt as I decided I needed a firing system for my Pyro hobby more than finishing this thing. I do however really want to get this build finished. I decided I will just buy a complete rifle as a go to and this will be more for eye candy. Hopefully it turns out to be a great functional build as well. I definitely would love to see how yours looks when you get it complete. Are you going pdw or smos lower?