PDA

View Full Version : Feasibility

Aragorn
18 March 2016, 14:49
So I don't own a single class 3 item. No SBR's, no suppressors, nothing. I've been wanting to put together an SBR's for years now, but haven't because in the past seven or so years I've been moving on average once a year, including leaving Oklahoma and heading to Texas due to work. In other words, I haven't really found it feasible due to changing addresses and states. That, and an individual I'd want on the trust still resides in Oklahoma. I do intend to move back to OK at some point, but it looks like I'll still be in TX for another year at a minimum, though maybe or maybe not at this address. My lease is up in May and don't know if I'll renew.

At this rate it'll be years more before I actually get around to it.

So, if I decided to just say eff it and do it now, how feasible would that be?

alamo5000
18 March 2016, 15:16
I am in the same boat. I have no real address at all. That said I can leave or store things at my parents place. I did my SBR and a couple of suppressors. The suppressors aren't such a big deal because you can haul em state to state without getting more bullshit paperwork. An SBR on the other hand.... to take it across state lines you have to do the ATF thing.

As I said, I am probably THE most mobile person here (I am posting this fom Nairobi by the way) but my dad is on my trust... the guns and suppressors are safe and sound... and if for some crazy reason that I wind up not living in Texas then I can do the form once.

The downside is when you are out and about doing this or that you can't shoot that SBR'ed gun unless you file the paperwork. Now I am relegated to shooting for when I make trips back home or whatever... but once I go get settled in somewhere (which is not likely since I am a spaz like that) but even if I stay in Texas 2 or 3 years or anything at all I can get all the shooting I want and I can have an SBR right there with me. I just can't take it to Louisiana or any other state for that matter without their bullshit forms.

On the other hand around Texas I have enough relatives around that I can store things at their place (legally) and I wouldn't mind putting them on my trust. I have options for places where people that are in my circle that aren't going anywhere.

Aragorn
18 March 2016, 19:20
...basically I'm just asking if given the current circumstances it's a good idea.

...or possible to get everyone on the trust I want, since one of the individuals in in OK.

Joelski
18 March 2016, 20:15
There may not be such a thing as NFA in the future, for better, or worse...

Slippers
18 March 2016, 20:17
For interstate travel with an SBR you mail in a form 20. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to get it back. You specify an address and dates, which can be 365 days. I travel to PA multiple times per year, so my calendar reminds me to file a form 20 for each SBR, every single year, for 365 days. Then I don't have to think about which rifles I can take with me when I go. The form 20 also covers you for all the states you may travel through on your way, as long as you don't stop overnight. However, I'd avoid going through states like NJ or NY, for obvious reasons.

It's really not much of a hassle to do form 20s.

As far as having a member on your trust that is in another state, it's not a big deal at all right now. If you wait until July, then it becomes more troublesome since 41F goes into effect, and each person on the trust will have to submit fingerprints and a photo less than a year old each time you want to purchase a new suppressor or machinegun, or create an SBR.

Aragorn
18 March 2016, 20:51
For interstate travel with an SBR you mail in a form 20. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to get it back. You specify an address and dates, which can be 365 days. I travel to PA multiple times per year, so my calendar reminds me to file a form 20 for each SBR, every single year, for 365 days. Then I don't have to think about which rifles I can take with me when I go. The form 20 also covers you for all the states you may travel through on your way, as long as you don't stop overnight. However, I'd avoid going through states like NJ or NY, for obvious reasons.

It's really not much of a hassle to do form 20s.

As far as having a member on your trust that is in another state, it's not a big deal at all right now. If you wait until July, then it becomes more troublesome since 41F goes into effect, and each person on the trust will have to submit fingerprints and a photo less than a year old each time you want to purchase a new suppressor or machinegun, or create an SBR.

Damn, guess if I'm gonna do it, better do it quick. If nothing else I could just register an existing lower. Fortunately my driving range is a straight line up from Texas through Nebraska, so I'm clear of all blue states, especially the bad ones.

Farva
19 March 2016, 00:49
You could always just build it as a pistol until you settle down on one spot for good, then SBR it then.