PDA

View Full Version : K16i vs. NF NXS 1-4

JGifford
19 March 2016, 01:59
This video compares the eyebox and FOV of the K16i and Nightforce NXS 1-4 at 4 yards on 1 power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDCbAnaRZ3M

UWone77
19 March 2016, 11:03
So what's the verdict on the K16i?

JGifford
19 March 2016, 22:57
So what's the verdict on the K16i?

"Meh" is about how I feel, honestly.

K16i Pros:

-Bright illumination
-Very near 1x
-Great FOV

K16i Cons:

-Mushy turrets
-Illumination was glitchy until I worked the dial several dozen times. Had "dead spots" in it where the reticle illumination flicked off for a bit, in the lower 1/3 range of the rheostat.
-Just feels like a cheap scope. I know that's subjective, but if you told me that it was a $2K optic, I'd vomit, if I didn't know how hard it is to cram a true 1x into a LPV.

NF Pros:

-Very solid
-Worked fine right out of the box
-Solid feeling turrets
-Very forgiving eyebox

NF Cons:

-Dim illumination
-Smaller FOV
-"Only" 4x
-A bit more fish-eye than newer scopes in the 1x LPV arena

fledge
20 March 2016, 07:03
This is disappointing to hear. Seems there is no clear winner out there in the 1-6 category. K16i was on top of my list.

JGifford
20 March 2016, 07:17
This is disappointing to hear. Seems there is no clear winner out there in the 1-6 category. K16i was on top of my list.

Yeah, I'm rather disappointed.

UWone77
20 March 2016, 07:45
Have you guys used to the Razor Gen II? Any thoughts on that?

JGifford
20 March 2016, 07:46

I've held one. Seemed like a nice scope, but it's very heavy. Friend had one. Broke it. Lost faith in it and sold it. That's about the extent of my knowledge on it.

Slippers
20 March 2016, 08:59
If you don't mind the weight and reticle choices, it's hard to touch the razor. The illumination is aimpoint bright, and the field of view and eye box are very comfortable. 1x is really good on it.

I'm surprised your friend gave up on the razor so quickly. I've had to send optics back to NF, Trijicon, and Aimpoint over the years, and I still own and use them.

gatordev
20 March 2016, 10:12

I know I sound like a broken record, but besides weight (if that matters to you), a decision one needs to make is whether you want a BDC or an actual measured reticle. Personally, I loathe BDCs on anything more than 4x because unless I'm fooling around playing the "can I hit it game," I'm not really going to go past 400y/m on a B/C and/or 18" target. Generally the BDC is still going to work at 400, but when you start going out past that, thinks can fall apart fast.

Personally I prefer a mil reticle, and that way I know I can hold at exactly (well, +/- .25 mils) what I need for the hold, regardless of altitude or bullet weight since I already have my DOPE for those conditions.

But regardless, whichever one suits you I'd argue directs you to the particular line of scope that meets that.

Slippers
20 March 2016, 10:34
The razor is available with a mil reticle.

gatordev
20 March 2016, 10:47
The razor is available with a mil reticle.

So it is, and appears slightly more usable than I remembered when I looked at it before. I'd argue it's easier to use a reticle with more than just integer holds (and with actual numbers, at least for me), but obviously that's up to personal preference and practice, as well.

fledge
20 March 2016, 12:16
If the razor wasn't a half pound heavier than it ought to be, I'd be all over it. Leopold's VX6 1-6 multigun now has a daylight bright (so they say) firedot reticle. 14oz. Decisions, decisions.

JGifford
20 March 2016, 15:40
If you don't mind the weight and reticle choices, it's hard to touch the razor. The illumination is aimpoint bright, and the field of view and eye box are very comfortable. 1x is really good on it.

I'm surprised your friend gave up on the razor so quickly. I've had to send optics back to NF, Trijicon, and Aimpoint over the years, and I still own and use them.

Once something randomly has deadline issues and no failure mode can be described, people who use their gear in life/death situations (My friend takes down meth labs for a living) tend to dump it.

JGifford
21 March 2016, 08:29
As an update, my issues with the K16i being not up to snuff was the illumination having "dead' spots when I got it (positions on the rheostat that would cause the reticle to black out), and the illumination increasing jerkily in the low range. After speaking to Mr. Huber, I was informed that this is NOT normal, and NOT what I can expect from a Kahles product. They are taking the optic back, have the capability to (if need be) replace the illumination module here in the US, and should have it back to me before the end of next week, all on their dime. This was the main cause of my discontent with the optic, and if that fixes it, I will be quite pleased and have peace of mind.

As an aside, they are letting me leave the painstakingly mounted Bobro in place. This is exceptional. I am OCD about my scope mounts (I install them and they stay for life. De-grease rings and scope tube with acetone, Mic the ring-gaps to a tolerance of 0.002" variance on either side from each other, Badger dead-level and plumb the reticle, torque to the spec on the ring caps using purple loctite, etc. etc. Installing a scope is a rigid exercise for me.)

Stone
21 March 2016, 11:19
I thought something didnt sound right and was going to mention giving them a call. Every other review I have read on the 16i has been incredibly positive. Glad you got it straightened out.

Joelski
21 March 2016, 17:48
Once something randomly has deadline issues and no failure mode can be described, people who use their gear in life/death situations (My friend takes down meth labs for a living) tend to dump it.

I'd consider a Scott pack more important than a variable optic . The idea that the number of dead cops is much higher from chemical exposures than shootouts with meth heads has merit; it just hasn't had enough time to proves itself yet.

Slippers
21 March 2016, 19:07

He better stick to iron sights, then.

JGifford
21 March 2016, 22:22
He better stick to iron sights, then.

Not sure what he's running now. But when your optic goes TU and is absolutely un-usable while zeroing on the square range (image fuzzy beyond use all of a sudden), it doesn't make you confident. He isn't the only one who's had issues. Problems have cropped up in the .mil community, they just aren't with the type who post reviews. One unit loved em, another killed 'em and dumped em. YMMV, basically. That is why I am reserved on the Vortex's weight actually being a true +. Is it really? Is my question. The VCOG's weight didn't help it. They are still breaking at an alarming rate.

JGifford
21 March 2016, 22:23
I thought something didnt sound right and was going to mention giving them a call. Every other review I have read on the 16i has been incredibly positive. Glad you got it straightened out.

Yeah, I was rather bummed.

2nd day air, their dime, it went out yesterday. I cannot complain about how I was treated in the least!