PDA

View Full Version : MOE and PWS Compatable?

nc12215
6 March 2009, 00:01
Has anyone tried the new MOE forearm and any piston systems? Specifically the PWS? Is there enough room under the handguards?

Stickman
6 March 2009, 10:48
This might be a better call for PWS, I do not have a PWS system, so I can't check.

nc12215
6 March 2009, 11:05
Stickman,
I have already sent a e mail to PWS. I was curious which piston conversions, if any, might be compatible with the MOE.
Thanx.
Dave

Stickman
6 March 2009, 11:11
Sounds good, it would be nice to find out. That is info that most companies should be up to speed on as the MOE is getting pretty popular pretty quickly.

If you get word back from PWS, please update this and let us know. If you don't get word back, we can give them a call or email and followup from this end.

nc12215
6 March 2009, 11:26
Stickman,
PWS just replied to my email. Fastest reply on record. I will try and figure out how to add the attached pic.
Pretty neat looking.
Dave

PWS Replied:

Hi David,

Magpul has told us that the MOE handguard is designed to work with our system and some others. We test fit a sample that they sent us and it was close but not quite. However, it took a whopping 15 seconds with a dremel to widen the notch in the front top half of the guard to make room for our piston tube. They look great and they are very simple, here is a picture of the one that Mag Pul sent to us. The model that is shipping may not need any modification, but we have not been able to verify this.

Stacey Nagy

Primary Weapons Systems

stacey@primaryweapons.com

(208) 344-5217

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Daveinidaho/SafeRedirect.jpg?t=1236630164

RainierEugene
7 March 2009, 23:03
We actually did a build at Rainier Arms with a moe handguard w/ a PWS piston system. Like it says it just needs some dremmel work, but once you get that done you're all set. Looks great.

federalist22
23 March 2009, 18:15
I ordered a Magpul MOE handguard set to see if it would work with the Bushmaster piston retrofit kit I recently installed on my S&W M&P15ORC-----------needless to say I had to significantly modify the upper handguard with the Dremel, but I think I have it where I want it. I will try to post a pic soon after I test fire it to make sure of no blockages or impediments. Put it this way, the handguard would not fit without touching the piston housing, so I used the Dremel to tastefully cut into the front two slots on top, merging them together and widening them, making a new slot about the width of my index finger and almost as long. I also used the sanding head to grind out the top front and rear areas where the piston and the op-rod reside to clear that track. I know what you are thinking--ruined, or at least it lost some structural integrity, right? Not really. These handguards are surprisingly strong and I smoothed out the cuts I made with Dremel's cloth polishing head. When I test fire it I will know if I made enough clearance for the piston operation, but I think I measured right. For the price, you can't beat the Magpul handguards, tough, little to no play, functional, and sharp looking. This S&W is my project rifle, my nice one is a tricked out Rock River. I got an e-mail from Daniel Defense today on their Piston Omega 7 rail, which should be shipping this week, so if I decide I want more and can shell out the $250 or so for that one.