PDA

View Full Version : Anybody: Sig Legion p229 experience, thoughts?

schambers
31 March 2016, 11:34
Considering a new handgun purchase and its currently between a Legion P229 or a PMG Stryk B, whenever that comes out.

Was wondering if anybody has had and long-term experience with the Legion 229? Worth the extra cost? Performance head and shoulders above other 229 variations?

I've only handled the 226 SAO and it seemed like a well made gun. Unfortunately never had the opportunity to shoot it.

I'm not really interested in the Legion "club." Just looking for (hopefully) unbiased opinions on the firearm.

UWone77
1 April 2016, 20:25
I have 2 buddies with Legion P226's. They look nice, but when I ask them what the advantages are vs. a standard P226, they can't name anything. [BD]

GriffonSec
1 April 2016, 20:30
If I'm not mistaken, SRT kits and Gray Guns Triggers. A substantial improvement for sure (was in my 220). Dunno about the 229.

UWone77
1 April 2016, 20:32
I've always liked the few Sigs that I still have and shot, but I just don't see $1100 worth of pistol there. I guess I'm just a cheap ass for $400 Glocks and M&P's

Sak007
1 April 2016, 23:11
I was hoping to check one last time i was at Rainier but they said good luck finding one sitting around .
I wan't the 226 SAO if it runs anything like my 229 .

schambers
2 April 2016, 13:01
I ordered one yesterday....

Dealer said that there was around a 90 day wait, but that's mosty because I purchased through Sig's MIL program.

I'll post a video of my initial thoughts and then another after extended use.

Joelski
2 April 2016, 13:21
Perfectly fine if you like Sig, but over a grand is a down payment on a WC.

Like comparing a Benchmade Gold Series to a CRK Sebenza with inlays.

Sak007
2 April 2016, 15:08
I've always liked the few Sigs that I still have and shot, but I just don't see $1100 worth of pistol there. I guess I'm just a cheap ass for $400 Glocks and M&P'sHow much do you put into your $400 guns to make them feel like a Sig [BD]

UWone77
2 April 2016, 15:25
How much do you put into your $400 guns to make them feel like a Sig [BD]

Not a good comparison SA/DA vs Striker pistols.

I probably own 12 Glocks, and they are all stock, other than maybe sights. I have 2 ZEV's, but I don't consider them "Glocks"

I think a better comparison is how much do I spend "upgrading" M&P Pistols with Apex triggers to make them feel like a stock Glock.

schambers
2 April 2016, 16:20
I have 2 buddies with Legion P226's. They look nice, but when I ask them what the advantages are vs. a standard P226, they can't name anything. [BD]

This is pretty much where my expectations are at this point.

I don't think Sig does anything different with the barrel construction or fitment, so accuracy won't be any different. I'm more interested in the PVD coating, tweaked trigger and the slight changes in the controls and ergos.

I think that if I purchased a standard production 229, I would have eventually made similar changes and that would have probably cost me more money in the long run.

UWone77
20 April 2016, 13:58
I'm curious to see what your thoughts on the Legion will be when you get one schambers. I already decided to get a P229 next year to compliment my 228, but now I'm leaning towards a Legion. I'll admit the Legion looks good. It was between that or the Platinum Elite. I wish they made a 9mm Equinox.

schambers
20 April 2016, 16:06
I'M CURIOUS TOO!!

Still waiting for it. I generally do a pretty good job of forgetting that I ordered stuff like NFA items, etc. and seeing this thread made me think about it again. thanks. [BD]

Army203
20 April 2016, 16:43
I don't have any interest in the P229, but I do have some want for a the P220 legion in SAO. I just was into Sigs for a while and owned a lot of them. My P228 was the last of my Sigs so the Legion P220 better be a very damn good gun when it comes out.

Deadwing
30 May 2016, 06:48
I absolutely love my P229 Legion. There's a lot to like about that gun (beavertail/under cut trigger guard, G10 grips, SRT, solid steel guide rod, streamlined control levers, Gray Guns adjustable trigger, high-viz night sights, etc.) over a basic P229, and makes the extra cost worth it to me. But then, none of my Sigs are basic, bare-bones guns. So from that perspective, the P229 Legion was about on par with what i've paid for all the other Sigs i own and will be about as much as future Sigs i'd be likely to purchase. The beavertail is almost a must have on a Sig to me, and is generally only available on more expensive models. I have one Sig that doesn't have it, and it doesn't get shot nearly as much as the others. The short reset trigger is an absolute must have on my Sigs. Which leads to the Gray guns trigger, which is adjustable for over travel. Follow up shots are almost automatic. I can really shoot fast with this gun. I feel like Jerry Miculek shooting it lol. [BD]

I think you're going to like it a lot, schambers. In all honesty, i'd take it over anything else in the current P229 lineup. The Stainless Elite and Enhanced Elite are close, but i'd still prefer the Legion. I don't think they offer it anymore, but the Elite Dark would be another i'd consider next to the Legion.

Jerry R
30 May 2016, 12:31
Not to derail the thread, but ... saving my pennies for an SAO version of ---->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDjEmKeiKdk

Deadwing
31 May 2016, 17:55
Daddy like...

Sak007
31 May 2016, 23:49
Got to play with one Friday at Quantico and I put the cc down on the spot and was promptly told it was only available for Mil/Leo at the store [bash]

schambers
11 July 2016, 12:29
So I recently found out that the wait time for my order was extended to an additional 200 days.

Order canceled. Got a USP Compact instead.

UWone77
11 July 2016, 13:41
Got to play with one Friday at Quantico and I put the cc down on the spot and was promptly told it was only available for Mil/Leo at the store [bash]

LOL... sorry I couldn't help but laugh at this.

So I recently found out that the wait time for my order was extended to an additional 200 days.

Order canceled. Got a USP Compact instead.

200 days? Really? Wow... didn't know they were so popular.

Joelski
11 July 2016, 14:24
I can mix some gray 'Kote. Who wants it? Get yo money and come on!

Sak007
11 July 2016, 15:46
LOL... sorry I couldn't help but laugh at this.

Straw purchase ?[BD] Ill pick it up at NW Shooting Sports Expo

UWone77
11 July 2016, 15:47
Straw purchase ?[BD]

Sounds Legit.

I appreciate the guys at Quantico. They do take care of LE/MIL. I don't know anyone else that stocks so much LE/MIL program items.

Jerry R
11 July 2016, 15:49

So ... I guess I'm not going to get a Legion P220 SAO in my lifetime [BD]