PDA

View Full Version : Help with rail/muzzle decision for 14.5"

mustangfreek
7 April 2016, 19:09
Friend got me started on something..lol..so looking around for a different rail for a 14.5" barrel..along with ideas for what muzzle device to pin..no suppressor, don't want brain rattling comp either..the griffin m4sd, and Slr something , always been curious how they worked.. but more idea the better

I know there's lots so what's out there , looking for a 13" 'ish rail and kinda on the lighter side but all options I'll look at.

Few I have been looking at
bcm 13" alpha
Slr 13" -many versions but the ultra lite one is about the same as the bcm.

So..[:D]

Aragorn
7 April 2016, 19:18
I think you hit it with the BCM and the SLR. I've been trying to find a reason to build another upper using SLR's new Helix, and was super surprised when the 15" was only .2 oz heavier than the KMR, which is to date my favorite rail.

As for muzzle devices of the non-braking kind, I've always been fond of Micor. I've also pretty much been the sole occupant of that camp though as no one knows who they are, and ordering through them was a serious PITA.

UWone77
7 April 2016, 19:22
How about a BCM Comp. Not a true brake, so doesn't hurt your teeth or the guys next to you shooting as much.

schambers
7 April 2016, 20:06
I recently installed and SLR ION and am impressed with the build quality so far. I messed with a BCM rail when they first came out and it was impressive as well. One thing I noticed was at the time, the finish on the OG BCM magnesium-blend rail seemed like it was more "fragile" compared to the coatings on other rails. I don't know if this is still the case or if it's even applicable to the Alpha series, but that's my impression at the time.

Both BCM and SLR feel rock solid when installed.

I think the only main differences between the rails is the appearance. SLR offers a lot more styles and lengths. If you haven't been to their website, I would suggest checking it out.

For muzzle devices, I'm pretty sure most hybrids like the ones you listed perform similarly. They do a good job at keeping the muzzle down, compared to the standard A-2. I'm partial to 3-prong flash hiders myself. Really want to try the new Surefire mashup to see what it looks like in low-light.

UWone77
7 April 2016, 20:21
For muzzle devices, I'm pretty sure most hybrids like the ones you listed perform similarly. They do a good job at keeping the muzzle down, compared to the standard A-2. I'm partial to 3-prong flash hiders myself. Really want to try the new Surefire mashup to see what it looks like in low-light.

Are you talking about the Surefire WarComp? I finally got one installed, so I'm curious as well.

Aragorn
7 April 2016, 20:25
Are you talking about the Surefire WarComp? I finally got one installed, so I'm curious as well.

Hey, yeah I'd be interested in a review of that.

schambers
7 April 2016, 20:28

Yup! that's the one I'm talking about. Does it make the tuning for noise when your fire/ dry fire?

mustangfreek
7 April 2016, 22:23
Thanks fellas, so never handling one how are the finish/fit on the Slr rails?

Played with a kmr at RA a while back and it felt good

And as far as a bcm comp, I wouldn't oppose it I guess, thought about just a a2x..but open to all ideas at the moment..

fledge
7 April 2016, 23:09
SLR fit and finish is excellent. The details count.

JGifford
8 April 2016, 02:41
Mega/hodge rail with a Surefire closed tine warcomp would be the sexy option, imo

Joelski
8 April 2016, 03:43
I love my Synergy comp! It breaks up the rattle quite nicely. I've not shot it at night, or dark enough to notice any flame ball when I had one on my 14.5". Definitely less concussion than a birdcage. Plus it's dead sexy.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Pistols/RA-Recce/20160405_202939.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Joelski144/media/ARs%20and%20Pistols/RA-Recce/20160405_202939.jpg.html)

schambers
8 April 2016, 06:31
SLR fit and finish is excellent. The details count.

+1

EO3
8 April 2016, 10:36
Not to be all jumpy on the SMOS stuff, but the 13.75 rail with a 14.5 barrel is a perfect fit. I had that upper and loved it. Mine had a Surefire Procomp, so it was very blasty. I ended up selling the upper, but if I kept it, I was going to throw a Griffin M4SD on it to try to cut down the fireball and some concussion.

UWone77
8 April 2016, 10:58
Mega/hodge rail with a Surefire closed tine warcomp would be the sexy option, imo

Great idea. Now I'm thinking about having a barrel cut down especially for this.

tact
8 April 2016, 15:20
Parallax.

alamo5000
8 April 2016, 16:15
Thanks fellas, so never handling one how are the finish/fit on the Slr rails?

Both of my ARs have em and both are excellent. I am an SLR fanboy. That however does not rule others out... just sayin...

We've had several threads here about SLR rails and gas block combos... if you don't use their gas block as well you will probably have clearance issues if you are putting accessories up around that area (at least with m lok)... I've never used keymod...so I don't know about that.

That's about the only downside I've seen (if you can call that a downside)... fit and finish is great... the barrel nut and the new 'wedge' locking system is really good.

mustangfreek
9 April 2016, 01:46
I love my Synergy comp! It breaks up the rattle quite nicely. I've not shot it at night, or dark enough to notice any flame ball when I had one on my 14.5". Definitely less concussion than a birdcage. Plus it's dead sexy.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Pistols/RA-Recce/20160405_202939.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Joelski144/media/ARs%20and%20Pistols/RA-Recce/20160405_202939.jpg.html)

Nice, I've looked hard at that Slr synergy and the griffin m4 .

Not to be all jumpy on the SMOS stuff, but the 13.75 rail with a 14.5 barrel is a perfect fit. I had that upper and loved it. Mine had a Surefire Procomp, so it was very blasty. I ended up selling the upper, but if I kept it, I was going to throw a Griffin M4SD on it to try to cut down the fireball and some concussion.

That griffin looks good, are the bottoms open ?

Parallax.

I like them, had a few and just took off a ffssr for something different.. lol..

We've had several threads here about SLR rails and gas block combos... if you don't use their gas block as well you will probably have clearance issues if you are putting accessories up around that area (at least with m lok)... I've never used keymod...so I don't know about that.

That's about the only downside I've seen (if you can call that a downside)... fit and finish is great... the barrel nut and the new 'wedge' locking system is really good.

Thanks for the info Alamo..

So many choices out there....[BD]

SwissyJim
11 April 2016, 18:40
Any interest in a 12" Seekins MCSRv2? I'll make you a killer deal on a slightly used rail, cerakoted FDE with a black picatinny rail. Barrel nut and screws were never used but the rail was - I used this one as my installed rail but for reload testing I swapped to a shorter one as I could not install my magneto chrony when I took off the suppressor. Only marks are where a flashlight and vertical grip wre attached...

Not what you were looking for, I know, but before I toss in in the classified I thought I'd ask...

EDIT: tried to PM you but your box is full...

mustangfreek
15 April 2016, 00:43
Hey Jim, wasn't ignoring ya just been busy ..

Thanks for the offer, ended up finding something, so toss it up in the classifieds...[:D]

Farva
15 April 2016, 03:18
I have a 14.5" with a pinned Battlecomp. I used a 14" Fortis REV 2 rail.

n4p226r
15 April 2016, 03:47
I love the NSR 13.5. I'd try the surefire warcomp if I was allowed to here. :(. You can always get a warden if you still find it too blasty

SwissyJim
15 April 2016, 10:45
Hey Jim, wasn't ignoring ya just been busy ..

Thanks for the offer, ended up finding something, so toss it up in the classifieds...[:D]

Ok, no worries. Just thought I'd ask first!

mustangfreek
27 April 2016, 02:29
Forgot to update..

A deal came along and grabbed it , ended up with a complete upper will grab some pics soon

Ended up with a 14.5" rainier barrel and BC with my first Geissele rail..

mustangfreek
3 May 2016, 00:28
So...back to this got it together and went out and shot it today, was running a h buffer before with the 16" barrel and now with this 14.5 and the h buffer/std spring I noticed right away a difference certainly more recoil perceived and felt , never ran a 14.5 before..

Will a h2 make that much difference, ? Either way looks like I need to get one to experiment..which makes me think about trying a Sprinco or some extra power spring ..

Anyways quick pic, also first try with a micro, I like the setup and weight with this..want to tone down the gun as it will be my main shooter for a while

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z176/mustang91_2007/Mobile%20Uploads/0138E719-9D05-4E48-8CF0-BBE3A2C8E36B_zpsautrucyv.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/user/mustang91_2007/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0138E719-9D05-4E48-8CF0-BBE3A2C8E36B_zpsautrucyv.jpg.html)