PDA

View Full Version : Suppressing a 300BLK

The FNG
16 April 2016, 08:28
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and somewhat new to the AR world. I bought my first last January and now I have 4. My latest is a 16" 300BLK with pistol gas. It's pretty plane Jane, but very fun to shoot. I went with 16" to avoid NFA...

Anyway, I just got my form1 suppressor approved and am in the process of finishing up building my can. My concern is over-gassing my rifle with the can on since I only have a standard gas block. I know it's recommended to use an adjustable block when suppressed, but will it hurt anything to not use one?

Currently, I'm shooting supers through it. 125gr Nosler BT's with 17.2gr Lil' Gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwissyJim
16 April 2016, 08:59
Oh, you're screwed [:D]
LOL... meaning, you'll never stop at just one can! And no, it will not hurt to run suppressed without the adj gas block - on a 300blk, it's designed to run without one. They are more of a user convenience. There are other ways to make it work, if it even needs anything - it may not be an issue at all. Quickest and easiest would be the next weight up buffer. You could try a heavier spring. And, it sounds like you're reloading? Tailor your reloads to your gun - that's one thing I did. once I got my suppressor, I reduced my load slightly so that I had the brass going in a nice 4 o'clock ejection and still maintained BHO on the last round. Just make sure the loads are stable and good before putting them thru the suppressor - it would suck to have a baffle strike on your new can! That's more true with subsonic loads, which I assume you are going to get into? If nto, you should! a suppressed 300BLK with subsonic loads is stupid quiet, and stupid fun!

Oh, and welcome to the club!

The FNG
16 April 2016, 09:27
Oh, you're screwed [:D]
LOL... meaning, you'll never stop at just one can! And no, it will not hurt to run suppressed without the adj gas block - on a 300blk, it's designed to run without one. They are more of a user convenience. There are other ways to make it work, if it even needs anything - it may not be an issue at all. Quickest and easiest would be the next weight up buffer. You could try a heavier spring. And, it sounds like you're reloading? Tailor your reloads to your gun - that's one thing I did. once I got my suppressor, I reduced my load slightly so that I had the brass going in a nice 4 o'clock ejection and still maintained BHO on the last round. Just make sure the loads are stable and good before putting them thru the suppressor - it would suck to have a baffle strike on your new can! That's more true with subsonic loads, which I assume you are going to get into? If nto, you should! a suppressed 300BLK with subsonic loads is stupid quiet, and stupid fun!

Oh, and welcome to the club!

Good to hear! Ya I'm totally screwed... I've got 3 more cans in draft phase. I'm trying to at least submit for a stamp before July.

I do reload, although I've only just started. I'm still learning the ropes but I've had pretty good success this far. Originally, I didn't plan to do subs, in fact I didn't plan on a can either. My original intent for this rifle was to have a 30cal AR for short range deer hunting that wasn't full of proprietary parts and used my existing receivers and bolt. It just seems like my firearms plan keeps morphing into something I never intended (in a good way). Here's my bench:http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160416/a2c2e983b29be259a6edbd69685d2bbd.jpg

Back to the gun though. I'm glad to hear that I shouldn't need an adjustable block. As of now, it is completely reliable and so fun to shoot.

Jerry R
16 April 2016, 10:45
Welcome aboard - nice bench setup !

The FNG
16 April 2016, 13:50
Welcome aboard - nice bench setup !

Thanks! I kinda went all-out on buying equipment for a year or so before I even got to set it up. I'm sure glad I did. It's a lot of fun.

The FNG
16 April 2016, 13:56
Here's the rifle:http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160416/f3f7d799abc92cfcdb55c99e50b3c0fb.jpg

Ordnance
17 April 2016, 09:25
I went with 16" to avoid NFA...

I just got my form1 suppressor approved and am in the process of finishing up building my can.

I've got 3 more cans in draft phase.

[crazy]

The FNG
17 April 2016, 09:27
[crazy]

Ya... Originally I had said "I will never...NFA", now I'm on the "everything NFA" warpath. I just can't make up my mind :/

The FNG
7 May 2016, 13:54
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160507/262d85b97e16f34aec0dcc91c3081a04.jpg

Just got done painting the gun. What do you think? Just waiting on my new rail from Jim.

UWone77
8 May 2016, 10:21
Ya... Originally I had said "I will never...NFA", now I'm on the "everything NFA" warpath. I just can't make up my mind :/

NFA stuff tends to get to be a collection in itself.

Just ask 90% of the members here. :o

Jerry R
8 May 2016, 11:48
NFA stuff tends to get to be a collection in itself.

Just ask 90% of the members here. :o

I resemble that remark !!

The FNG
8 May 2016, 12:36
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160508/10aaa72d6ba00ad762f3f5c81d3aee91.jpg

And here it is done!

As for NFA stuff, I've got suppressor mounts on all my rifles now and 4 suppressor a on the way. From 0-100 in no time!

Joelski
8 May 2016, 16:01
Your OCD impresses me. I wish I could afford a NFA shopping spree of my own.

mustangfreek
9 May 2016, 14:12
Looks fun I built a 16" BO, but question myself why as its a heavy mofo and would be so much funner with shorter barrel+ can

I don't own any NFA stuff so I'm grumpy about it lol and WA still can't file form 1's which if I could of , would of done it different..

BoilerUp
9 May 2016, 19:50
Looks fun I built a 16" BO, but question myself why as its a heavy mofo and would be so much funner with shorter barrel+ can

I don't own any NFA stuff so I'm grumpy about it lol and WA still can't file form 1's which if I could of , would of done it different..

You know you'll be able to file Form 1s next month, right?

The FNG
20 July 2016, 11:59
You know you'll be able to file Form 1s next month, right?

Just saw this... A little more info is needed! wA can do form 1 SBR's now???

BoilerUp
20 July 2016, 17:40
Just saw this... A little more info is needed! wA can do form 1 SBR's now???

Yes, since early June I believe.

The FNG
22 July 2016, 08:26
Dang! Wish I would have known that or I would have waited and just got this gun as an SBR.

UWone77
22 July 2016, 17:44
Dang! Wish I would have known that or I would have waited and just got this gun as an SBR.

Sorry you missed out on this before 41F.

At least you can do them now though. I went in with 12 fingerprint cards.