PDA

View Full Version : ? for Stick re. sighting sytems

Gray
23 September 2007, 12:59
Stickman,

I have used the AR platform with sighting systems for a while. Back in the 70's I used the Armson OEGI, then went to an ACOG, then started using the Aimpoint 5000 on an A3 in late 95, and then changed to the Comp when that came out, yadayadayada. I have a small amount of experience with a much earlier iteration of the Eotech (on a friends system).

I am now looking to purchase some new stuff. Based upon your experience (many of your photos look like you run the Eo), is there a credible reliability problem with the newer versions of the Eo's versus the Aimpoint? (I understand the battery life and switching ergo issues; my main concern is reliability.)

With reliability as top consideration, what has been your experience?

Thanks

Stickman
24 September 2007, 17:13
Stickman,

With reliability as top consideration, what has been your experience?

Thanks

Gray,

I carry a 552 on my duty weapon, and previously carried a early generation 512. I am a large fan of the reticle with the Eotechs, but I feel that the Aimpoint offers a slightly better optic in the durability department.

I've seen Aimpoint/ M68 CCOs go down, and I've seen Eotechs go down. I've also had my Eotech die on me while deploying it against an armed suspect. Anything electronic will fail at some point, and its why we all do drills using BUIS. In defense of the one that died on me, it was a new model that I had only zeroed (it lived long enough for that). Eotech took quick care of it, and I had a replacement before I had even mailed out my defective unit.

I don't mention the above to scare you away from Eotech, I am simply relaying my own experiences. Based on those same experiences, I've also seen large cardboard boxes filled with Aimpoints that were unusable from the military. Most of the special teams, and patrol guys I interact with use Eotechs, and most of the MIL guys I know were switched to Eotechs awhile back. Both are good very optics.

While I think the edge goes to Aimpoint for overall reliability, I still feel that Eotech is a very reliable optic, which is why I still use my 552. For me, the Eotech is a better all around optic, but I wouldn't feel outgunned using an Aimpoint by any stretch.

Gray
24 September 2007, 19:00
Thank you sir.

Eric
25 September 2007, 05:02
About the only thing that I'll add is the Rev F 512 or 552 is the way to go with the EOTech. The earlier versions, especially those that use the N battery, eat batteries at an alarming rate. They never came close to the advertised battery life and would often fail to power up after sitting for an extended period.

JTrusty
25 September 2007, 05:21
I won't hide the fact that I prefer the Aimpoint.

However, one more thing to consider is the condition of your own eyes. Before you make any determinations regarding reliability make
darn sure you take the time to look through any and all optics you are considering. I am near sighted with a slight astigmatism and for
me the Eotech is simply a no go. Looking through it all I see is one big red glob. There is no definition in the reticule whatsoever.

Others have complained about similar issues with the Aimpoint dot, but I have not experienced any blooming whatsoever either with or
without the 3x magnifier.

Here is the setup I am currently running...

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/dd2.jpg

Mike91A
27 September 2007, 16:43
I currently am using thr Aimpoint M3 with 3 power on Sampson flip mount. I like this set up .However to get away from batteries I am thinking of an ACOG . The model refered to in magazine articles as the RICO. FDE in color. Thoughts anyone?

Stickman
27 September 2007, 22:31
I currently am using thr Aimpoint M3 with 3 power on Sampson flip mount. I like this set up .However to get away from batteries I am thinking of an ACOG . The model refered to in magazine articles as the RICO. FDE in color. Thoughts anyone?

It heavily depends on what you are looking to do with it. I work up close and personal with a carbine, so the ACOG wouldn't be my choice, but if I were doing lots of distance work, it might be different.

The M3 has some pretty decent battery life, and having the non-magnified option might be nice at times depending on what you do with your weapon.