PDA

View Full Version : Election Season 2016

Stickman
19 April 2016, 20:47
With the upcoming election, and slimming chances of a Republican win (as of now), what preparations are you making?

cjd3
19 April 2016, 21:05
It's tough, I've been getting a pound of powder here and there, primers and the occasional bulk buy of bullets. While I've got the rifles I want for the most part, im just concerned about keeping them fed for four years. I've also got some other plans to help others weather the foreseeable drought, but that will need some capital, and my kids still come first. Next year the oldest starts going to the range with Dad.

While presidential race seems to get worse and worse, I'll focus on keeping Republicans in Congress. I'm lucky to be in a very pro 2A state, but you can't get too comfortable. We blame our recent 1 term D in the senate for being vote 60 for Obamacare.

UWone77
19 April 2016, 21:07
I've been buying at least a few boxes of ammo and magazines every paycheck.

We've had almost 4 years since the last panic. If you don't have what you need by now, don't complain about $350 BCG's. [:D]

DeviantLogic
19 April 2016, 22:13
Might start focusing a little more on reloading supplies, and get some decent .22 while it's available. I generally restock what I've shot every few months, then add a little to the rainy day fund with every purchase...been doing that for a while now. The market has been so unpredictable recently, that if there's a deal on something I go ahead and try to snag it if the funds are available. Probably going to get a couple more lowers just in case.

UW - Good call on the magazines. Think I'll add that to my shopping list.

Tyrannosaur
20 April 2016, 04:29
Living in NY makes it tough to be "prepared". I'm hoping to get some more .22 as stated above, but not being able to order online and the shops knowing this makes for rediculous ammo pricing. I was in the midst of starting to get into bolt guns and my wife decided we needed a new house so money is strapped. Like I said I live in NY so I know never to get my hopes up.

The FNG
20 April 2016, 05:18
I've been working on collecting reloading supplies here and there, but mostly powder. Bullets and primers were about all you could find in our last panic in our area, but I guess you never really know until you know.

I'm also trying to submit for 4-5 form 1 cans before the July deadline for NFA changes and the election.

Of course this is all dependent on expendable income...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thompson
20 April 2016, 08:27
Sucks cause I came into this game a few years too young.

I'll probably pick up a couple Andy's to throw in the safe "just in case" when I turn 21 ... possible get paperwork going on some sort of 5.56 can.

But other than that, probably start grabbing more reloading components.

I really want to pick up a couple Garands this summer ... but after reading this thread IDK, we'll see I guess.

Aragorn
20 April 2016, 11:54
I'm planning to build an interstellar rocket ship and prep it with terraforming equipment, guns and ammo I have on hand, as well as food and medical supplies. Planned launch date is a tentative Nov. 5th, pending election results. If we suffer a D victory then I will consider the last free nation on this planet lost and launch with the intention of locating and colonizing a whole new world.

MoxyDave
20 April 2016, 12:13
I've got a few M4geries ready for sale when the big panic hits again. Probably build a couple more before the deluge. I still remember when the AR15 rack at my rather large LGS was completely barren and people were willing to spend $4000 on a $700 M4. Going to cash out this goddamn time!

UWone77
20 April 2016, 12:18
I've got a few M4geries ready for sale when the big panic hits again. Probably build a couple more before the deluge. I still remember when the AR15 rack at my rather large LGS was completely barren and people were willing to spend $4000 on a $700 M4. Going to cash out this goddamn time!

Reminds me of going to Rainier and they were sold out of every gun on the rack. Even sold the demo's they had.

I should have sold everything, but only ended up selling a few rifles. Sold off a bunch of carriers though.

Poor saps got taken at a few LGS's for 5k on a Colt 6920. Then they were stuck with them after the panic was over. That's gotta suck.

EO3
20 April 2016, 12:33

I never even thought about doing this. Maybe I'll fork out some money at PSA, throw a few budget rifles together, then sell when the time is right. Worst case scenario, I'll find out how to contact DUX - I'm sure he'd buy some non-gucci, PSA rifles.

On a related note - personally, I'm just trying to stock up on PMAGs and ammo. Mostly just cheap, bulk 5.56. I don't currently reload, although I wish I was setup to. I'd rather drop my money on ammo and mags instead of reloading at this point, though.

Josh S.
20 April 2016, 12:52
If you don't have what you need by now, don't complain about $350 BCG's. [:D]

That never even crossed my mind. I was thinking along the lines of lowers, ammo, mags, etc, not BCG's. Probably gonna go ahead and pick up a Lantac for the SMOS. Other than that, I'm probably just gonna stock up on bulk ammo, PMAGS, and maybe some cheap lowers. Also debating whether to file for an SBR in a couple weeks when I turn 21 or use that money for ammo and mags. Probably going to go with the former but we shall see....

UWone77
20 April 2016, 13:01
That never even crossed my mind. I was thinking along the lines of lowers, ammo, mags, etc, not BCG's. Probably gonna go ahead and pick up a Lantac for the SMOS. Other than that, I'm probably just gonna stock up on bulk ammo, PMAGS, and maybe some cheap lowers. Also debating whether to file for an SBR in a couple weeks when I turn 21 or use that money for ammo and mags. Probably going to go with the former but we shall see....

Anyone around during the last panic will tell you, people were going ape shit over BCG's and BCG hoarding. I saw people selling them regularly for $250-$350 all day long. $500 for Colt ones. The problem is, all those stripped lowers people have stocked away, will eventually need parts, especially BCG's.

Jerry R
20 April 2016, 13:32
Well, I looked at "inventory" and then went in a slightly different direction. Bought a couple of 90-day cases of freeze dried foods and two 100 gallon Water Bobs for the bathtubs. Also picking up a few extra cans of meat/veggies and dry goods such as rice/beans when grocery shopping. I have extra propane tanks (large and small) for the grill and camp stoves. I'm thinking more in terms of hurricane or power outage. While there is "never enough" I could ride through a slightly extended season of political upheaval on the firearm/ammunition side. And at my age, TEOTWAWKI happening in my lifetime is pretty slim.

The 308 SBR stamp should clear before the election, and the only other firearm I'm looking at is the Sig P220 Legion when released later this year.

Thompson
20 April 2016, 16:08

Reminds me of going to Rainier and they were sold out of every gun on the rack. Even sold the demo's they had.

I should have sold everything, but only ended up selling a few rifles. Sold off a bunch of carriers though.

Poor saps got taken at a few LGS's for 5k on a Colt 6920. Then they were stuck with them after the panic was over. That's gotta suck.
You see, I don't know about this. I feel that a lot of people, especially after Sandy Hook, learned their lesson and have since they stocked up. Granted, of course that's not the majority. But I think a decent chunk more people, this go around, will be sufficiently stocked ... and there goes 22 LR again (damn neckbeards).

Anyone around during the last panic will tell you, people were going ape shit over BCG's and BCG hoarding. I saw people selling them regularly for $250-$350 all day long. $500 for Colt ones. The problem is, all those stripped lowers people have stocked away, will eventually need parts, especially BCG's.
So then, are you saying BCGs would be a better investment than a lower?

Aragorn
20 April 2016, 17:16
You see, I don't know about this. I feel that a lot of people, especially after Sandy Hook, learned their lesson and have since they stocked up. Granted, of course that's not the majority. But I think a decent chunk more people, this go around, will be sufficiently stocked ... and there goes 22 LR again (damn neckbeards).

So then, are you saying BCGs would be a better investment than a lower?

That's what we thought in 2012, you know, after 2008. And all the crap in the middle.

Get both.

gatordev
20 April 2016, 17:41
I don't know. I've been keeping an eye on stuff and doing some "simulation" speculating the last few months in anticipation of the inevitable Hillariapocolypse, and I'm just not seeing the same supply/demand issues in this post-Sandy Hook world. Even stuff that has been out-right decreed as no longer available aren't really increasing in price yet. 7n6 spiked two years ago because it would never be seen again, but today, it's held steady for quite some time and still available at certain vendors. Saiga AKs went up slightly after the embargo, but looking on GB, they've been holding their value at the same basic price point, with almost no buyers, for at least 18 months. It leaves me confused.

Will people panic after November? Do doubt, but I have to wonder if the people panicking are either a) not really panicking, but trying to drive prices up, or b) people consumed by internet fervor. I guess time will tell.

Former11B
21 April 2016, 06:18
That's what we thought in 2012, you know, after 2008. And all the crap in the middle.

Get both.

I have heard who I thought were like minded individuals complaining about "hoarders" and people buying stuff like .22 they themselves couldn't afford to buy or bad timing, but blaming the other person for their inability to acquire due to "stockpiling". This was a few weeks ago and I shut that stuff down quick. It's out there if you want it and care to look. I've bypassed a lot because I like paying cash in person vs credit online but it is out there so the hoarding comments don't fly with me. There WILL be people caught with nothing

mustangfreek
21 April 2016, 07:28
Oh man unfortunately i am not where I would like to be , but it is what it is.

Last panic I made out pretty good a few times sold pieces meal spikes hold for 2k, lowers and bcgs at $300 easy, also selling 22 Ammo and single m&p 22 mags and Pmags at 75-100 bux

But I'm thinking it won't be that bad so many people have been buying like crazy, but there will be some needing stuff/or panicking so they will buy

And man I remember them guys buying tons of mags and such and only trying to get out from bulls a year later at a 1/4 what they originally paid..

That said, I want/need more powder/ projectiles another shorty build for a SBR and I need a 308sinething since I got a pile of Ammo already and nothing to shoot it with

Aragorn
21 April 2016, 13:49
I have heard who I thought were like minded individuals complaining about "hoarders" and people buying stuff like .22 they themselves couldn't afford to buy or bad timing, but blaming the other person for their inability to acquire due to "stockpiling". This was a few weeks ago and I shut that stuff down quick. It's out there if you want it and care to look. I've bypassed a lot because I like paying cash in person vs credit online but it is out there so the hoarding comments don't fly with me. There WILL be people caught with nothing

Yeah, RIGHT NOW stuff isn't radically difficult to come by, but I'm saying if a person is concerned then they should just get whatever they want now. Safer bet as the existence of this thread proves people are already getting antsy.

My personal prep is pretty low key. Building a basic rifle I'll be able to hopefully flip for Xmas dough, and getting ammo. Specifically 5.56 along with some 9mm. I've got .22 and it just sits there because I pretty much NEVER shoot .22.

Former11B
21 April 2016, 17:05
Yeah, RIGHT NOW stuff isn't radically difficult to come by, but I'm saying if a person is concerned then they should just get whatever they want now. Safer bet as the existence of this thread proves people are already getting antsy.

I'm with you on this. Right now is great, but the point I was making, is that despite how things are at the moment, people are still blaming "hoarders" and selfish people, etc. if they think it's bad now....

I feel "comfortable" with what I have but I could ALWAYS use more [BD]

din
21 April 2016, 19:18
I'm talking the Mrs. into letting me buy a bunch of components to sell later, with no actual plans to sell them later. [:D]

cjd3
21 April 2016, 19:43
I'm talking the Mrs. into letting me buy a bunch of components to sell later, with no actual plans to sell them later. [:D]
Good luck din. I hope to enjoy your company through November before your untimely disappearance.

The FNG
22 April 2016, 20:36
Oh and I started making my own diesel fuel a few years ago, so I've been pondering making a backup gen set. Although it's not gun related and more on the prepped side, it's still something to consider.

UWone77
23 April 2016, 11:59
This is what scares me in 2016.

Gun Control is coming with the Dems. No way around it.

https://youtu.be/zCJJxJ1LlEM

Aragorn
23 April 2016, 12:10
It's that the next president will probably be picking a couple Supreme Court justices that bothers me the most. Especially since Hillary has endorsed, of all freakin people, OBAMA as a good candidate for that position.

Hope we have a good turn out at the polls this year.

EO3
25 April 2016, 14:46
In the spirit of this thread, is anyone willing to tell where they find good deals on plain ole plinking 55gr, brass 5.56 in bulk? Maybe something around 30-31 cents per round?

gatordev
25 April 2016, 15:03
sgammo.com
aimsurplus.com
and occasionally laxammunition.com (they have a sale going on right now, though I don't know their stock).

sgammo is usually my go-to first stop, unless PSA has some sort of shipping or sale happening. PSA used to be great, but they've upped their shipping the last couple of years and I find them be over-priced at the end of most days.

Thompson
25 April 2016, 18:23
In the spirit of this thread, is anyone willing to tell where they find good deals on plain ole plinking 55gr, brass 5.56 in bulk? Maybe something around 30-31 cents per round?
Honestly I'm not sure. I've been digging around for ammo prices the past couple days, and the cheapest I've found 193, was about .32, .33 per round shipped.

I remember last year when I was able to get federal xm193 for .30 shipped from PSA on a deal of some sort.

The best deal I found, was AIM selling ZQI SS109 for about .32 shipped (379 for 1200 rds), but that was this past weekend's deal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cjd3
25 April 2016, 18:56
I got some brass from Bullseye Processed Brass (http://bullseyeprocessedbrass.com) to check them out. So far so good, their mixed brass came mixed with 95% military brass, so I liked that. Better though, is that I am sending them all my brass for processing. The time saved is more than worth the cost of the processing.

EO3
25 April 2016, 19:24
Thanks for the info, gatordev and Thompson! This weekend I picked up 400 rounds from PSA for about $134 shipped. Not too bad. Seems to me like a lot of places have similar ammo prices, it's just finding a place with a cheaper shipping option. Some are $10, some are $26.

cjd3, I'll have to check this out. Seems interesting. Thanks!

gatordev
26 April 2016, 04:06
Personally, I'm not a Wolf Gold fan, so given that bias, I'm finding the IMI M193 to be the best bang for the buck. Not quite as much as Federal M193, and only 2-3 cents more than Wolf Gold. I've been very impressed with all of IMI's ammo I've shot so far.

Thompson
26 April 2016, 07:22
Personally, I'm not a Wolf Gold fan, so given that bias, I'm finding the IMI M193 to be the best bang for the buck. Not quite as much as Federal M193, and only 2-3 cents more than Wolf Gold. I've been very impressed with all of IMI's ammo I've shot so far.
I've yet to try bulk IMI. I've only heard good things about it. Can't remember where I read this, but isn't IMI ammo known for its consistency?

DeviantLogic
26 April 2016, 11:24

You can always look at gunbot.net to find some good (or decent) deals. As you guys have mentioned, the problem I've found with most places is shipping costs...so it's best to fill up the cart on a few sites and compare total cost with shipping before buying.

EO3
26 April 2016, 12:27
You can always look at gunbot.net to find some good (or decent) deals. As you guys have mentioned, the problem I've found with most places is shipping costs...so it's best to fill up the cart on a few sites and compare total cost with shipping before buying.
I use gunbot, and I usually have about 4 tabs open to compare the total cost between sites to find the best deal. I mostly just wanted to cover all of my bases here to see if I was missing anything.

Thompson
26 April 2016, 14:35
... the best part is when you get that one website that requires you to create an account to view your "estimated shipping" costs ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gatordev
26 April 2016, 14:52
I've yet to try bulk IMI. I've only heard good things about it. Can't remember where I read this, but isn't IMI ammo known for its consistency?

I've found it to be very consistent. Their MK262 clone stuff might have some temperature sensitivity compared to the real stuff, but I can't definitively say that. I've also found that at 600 out of my MK12, it starts to get a little flighty, but still reasonably consistent. That might just be that barrel with that ammo.

Their M193 seems to be pretty solid for me so far, but I haven't shot as much of it compared to the Mk262 stuff.

SwissyJim
26 April 2016, 22:16
reloading reloading reloading. Brass is well stocked, and powder is mostly so. Now to concentrate on some projectiles- mostly 223 and 308 stuff, but gotta have my 458 and 9mm stuff too!

For reselling, which I hate to do but I will if I must, pmags. I had *JUST* got a box of 10 308 pmags and I could have sold them on gunbroker for $100 per mag in 2013. idiots. Or maybe I'm the idiot... I kept them all since I wanted them!

mustangfreek
27 April 2016, 01:16
Seen somewhere Target sports has good ol federal 223 in 1k bulk for 317 shipped if your still looking
EDIT: found it
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-ae-223-remington-ammo-55-grain-fmj-bulk-ae223bk-p-1478.aspx

In with Jim ..reloading is another part of this hobby but not all can, I have some factory Ammo but in the last year mainly shooting reloads..

But don't nearly have enough powder and boolits on hand at the moment to last nearly 4 years if I shoot like I have lately...which means less shooting or stock up and stack em deep..lol..but hard to do with almost empty pockets...lol

Thompson
27 April 2016, 04:41
I've found it to be very consistent. Their MK262 clone stuff might have some temperature sensitivity compared to the real stuff, but I can't definitively say that. I've also found that at 600 out of my MK12, it starts to get a little flighty, but still reasonably consistent. That might just be that barrel with that ammo.

Their M193 seems to be pretty solid for me so far, but I haven't shot as much of it compared to the Mk262 stuff.
I've always been curious about their 77gr. Will have to give it a go at some point.

For reselling, which I hate to do but I will if I must, pmags. I had *JUST* got a box of 10 308 pmags and I could have sold them on gunbroker for $100 per mag in 2013. idiots. Or maybe I'm the idiot... I kept them all since I wanted them!
... oh I got a stash of mags just for that day if/when it comes. I mean, is it really price gouging, if the bidders set the price? [BD]

UWone77
27 April 2016, 09:20
reloading reloading reloading. Brass is well stocked, and powder is mostly so. Now to concentrate on some projectiles- mostly 223 and 308 stuff, but gotta have my 458 and 9mm stuff too!

I didn't have any AR10s in 2012, so I sold 30 LR20 mags for $80 per. Like Thompson said, I didn't even set the price, I took what was offered. They were going for over $100 each at some point. $80 was a bargain [BD]

KW900A
27 April 2016, 09:33
When the ammo hoarding was going in in 2012, reality hit these people hard who spent every dime they had on bullets when the dust settled. I hit the jackpot and me and a friend went in together on literally thousands of rounds. Mainly .223 and .308, but there was quite an assortment. Anyway we got it all for a fraction of what this guy spent. I don't feel too bad, because the look on his face when I said 'how much for all of it?' Told me I was doing him a favor.

Like a few have said, I don't like selling anything. But I have a few lowers, mags and BCGs I will let go of the pseudo-panic sets in again.

The FNG
27 April 2016, 10:20
I'm not sure how many this affects or how many of you have read about it, but in typical California fashion, they have attempted to make some laws that would ban detachable mags all together. That means no grandfather mags allowed, all would be illegal. Bullet buttons are no more, and all "assault rifles" would have to be registered as such. Also, all ghost guns would have to be serialized and registered, or else.

So I not sure how far it would go to actually get passed, but what do you do when they make stuff you own illegal to use? Do the confiscate it, or do you just put it away to collect dust? With Hillary talking about an Australian style gun ban, how do you deal if they come knocking at your door? I'm not sure it would come to this, but how can they just take your property without fair compensation?

mustangfreek
28 April 2016, 00:53
I didn't have any AR10s in 2012, so I sold 30 LR20 mags for $80 per. Like Thompson said, I didn't even set the price, I took what was offered. They were going for over $100 each at some point. $80 was a bargain [BD]

Lol...I'll admit I played that game to survive and whatever...selling M&P 22 ar mags for 80-100 a pop....spikes bcgs for 3-400....no shit....lol...

I got no selling stash this go around , need to stock up myself

n4p226r
10 May 2016, 06:46
I plan to buy 10-20 metal 30rd magazines. I just have to figure out where I plan to keep them since they are not legal in NJ.

Unfortunately I assume once we get a new governor, most of what I own will be banned anyways. Then I have the choice to keep them and be a felon or transfer them to my uncle in Georgia. It's scary because rumor has it the state police require in state FFLs to keep the records of evil black rifles and receivers in a separate book. At least that's the rumor. It'll be a while before I decide how to go about it. Until then I'm living my life and buying and building as much as I can afford. I hope to finish 2 more ARs by then. At least they won't ban the spork I won in the stickman giveaway

UWone77
14 June 2016, 14:49
So anyone seen or partake in any panic buying?

alamo5000
14 June 2016, 14:56

Have not seen nor heard of anything crazy going on yet.

Aragorn
14 June 2016, 15:18
No, actually.

Which is making me second guess my wisdom in putting together a "To sell" AR.

...that I've already got recievers, a bcg, and a rail for.

gatordev
14 June 2016, 15:33

I tried a few months ago, but your boys wouldn't ever answer my emails. Whatev's. Looks like they sold their last one in the last week or two, so other than ammo, I'm pretty much set.

KW900A
14 June 2016, 16:24
Not yet. But a few hours ago I did a quick price and stock check on a few things I want that will get hit first. I told myself I wasn't buying anything else since we are looking at buying some more land. But then dumb shit happens and forces me to rethink things.

alamo5000
14 June 2016, 16:40

I am thinking a lot of people know better than to poke that bear this close to an election.... but depending on what happens in November.... THEN we might have a problem.

Ordnance
14 June 2016, 17:29
Lol... People are still making payments on their HELOCs from the last time...

UWone77
14 June 2016, 17:30
I tried a few months ago, but your boys wouldn't ever answer my emails. Whatev's. Looks like they sold their last one in the last week or two, so other than ammo, I'm pretty much set.

I don't disagree. I've tried to tell the right people that CS has dropped off. It's been falling on deaf ears.

SINNER
14 June 2016, 17:37
I bought 5 .308 Aero lowers a LGS had today. LOL Not a panic at all but they are more often then not out of stock.

KW900A
14 June 2016, 17:42
^^^ that's what I've been needing to get

gatordev
14 June 2016, 18:39
I don't disagree. I've tried to tell the right people that CS has dropped off. It's been falling on deaf ears.

That's a shame for what has always been one of my "first" stops when needing something. Appreciate you trying to address it, though.

Sak007
15 June 2016, 02:14
Making memes for my buddy to share with his anti gun friends , any input ?
can anyone merge 2 pics ? I wanted to make a side by side of an m4 next to a clone asking if you can point out which one is legal to own

Ordnance
15 June 2016, 11:18

Insert my comment here "______________________"

Joelski
15 June 2016, 13:11
can anyone merge 2 pics ? I wanted to make a side by side of an m4 next to a clone asking if you can point out which one is legal to own

It's been a long day, but is that a trick question?

Sak007
15 June 2016, 15:10
It's been a long day, but is that a trick question?
No , I have zero photoshop or image editing skill .

Jerry R
15 June 2016, 16:02

I was not there and cannot confirm, but ...

Gun show last weekend - Sarasota area in Florida. Attendee posted that by 2PM on Sunday there were no AR platform items on any table - I would assume that means other than NFA items.

fledge
15 June 2016, 18:36
No , I have zero photoshop or image editing skill .

If you have iPhone, the grid lens app will let you do this. Then save and add your text.

On topic:

I ordered at RA over the weekend. Received shipping Monday. It still hasn't been shipped. Either the panic slammed them or someone's fallen asleep at the switch.

UWone77
15 June 2016, 19:09
If you have iPhone, the grid lens app will let you do this. Then save and add your text.

On topic:

I ordered at RA over the weekend. Received shipping Monday. It still hasn't been shipped. Either the panic slammed them or someone's fallen asleep at the switch.

Fortunately, or Unfortunately, their sales volume went up 5x over norms. I dropped by on Monday and didn't even bother getting what I needed because it was standing room only. Everyone was seemingly buying multiple lowers and/or complete rifles. I wouldn't say it was full panic mode, but there were definitely guys in there abusing their plastic.

I'm sure they are at least 1-2 days behind in processing as the phones were also ringing off the hook.

fledge
15 June 2016, 19:36
Wow. I believe it. Thanks for the heads up.

UWone77
15 June 2016, 19:51
Speaking of bad CS... I ordered a LMT MRP 10.5 upper... and the upper came with.... no barrel. [BD]

Dstrbdmedic167
15 June 2016, 19:53
Speaking of bad CS... I ordered a LMT MRP 10.5 upper... and the upper came with.... no barrel. [BD]

Wow... Just wow...

Ordnance
15 June 2016, 20:43

Quality control? Never heard of her...

The FNG
21 June 2016, 20:35
I'm not really panic buying, but definitely stocking up. I bought 2k bullets, 1k primers, and 2# powder this week. I just want to make sure I can keep shooting when I want to.

KW900A
22 June 2016, 13:52
I just discovered the slickguns app the other day. Bad news for my wallet