PDA

View Full Version : A thread to sell and buy.

airborneski
10 March 2009, 10:21
I'm pretty new, so if there is one let me know. A place to find things a little cheaper.

PROSOUTH
1 April 2009, 13:54
I'm brand new this is my first reply, I too would like to see a section to buy and sell parts. Far as that goes of late I need a place to find out where it is even available. I really want to see an all sponsor sales section and a seperate non commercial section where new & used parts and pieces can be traded/sold. It would also probably generate a little revenue from the commercial sales section.

zero7one
1 April 2009, 16:17
The suggestion has been brought up a few times. Read the below threads to see the responses. And welcome to the forum.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040

PROSOUTH
1 April 2009, 18:18
The suggestion has been brought up a few times. Read the below threads to see the responses. And welcome to the forum.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040
GOOD LOGIC, Think I'm gonna like it here, drop by sometime and we'll sip a little iced tea and talk about what all we have going on the next Black Rifle we're gonna build.............thanx jim

Ryo
7 April 2009, 21:34
Too many boards with sales. Don't need another one. Besides this board has a lot of useful info and doesn't need to get clutter when admins are more busy chasing down names of thieves.

Eric
7 April 2009, 23:18
A sales board is a great way to increase traffic just about anywhere. However, with it comes a lot of potential hassle and quite frankly, there are other locations that have a higher volume of shoppers and your stuff will disappear quicker there. For the time being, I don't think we're going to be making the addition.

Cold Zero
6 March 2010, 04:27
Another vote for a For Sale Forum. As said above, it does bring more traffic to the site.[pop]

Quib
6 March 2010, 09:14
I have to agree with Army Chief, by quoting from his response in the first link provided above......

I guess the real issue here is what sort of resource the Admins envision running over the long haul.

To date, I believe WEVO has emerged as a welcome high-grade reference repository with some collateral discussion capacity.

...the idea here is to keep the post count somewhat lower, but the quality of information extremely high...

"For Sale" boards and "Off Topic" discussion areas often take a site in a very different direction than that which was intended...

….we've all belonged to forums that attract new members who know nothing about the subject matter at hand, and who frequent the boards simply for social interaction. There isn't anything wrong with social interaction, but I much prefer it to take place among a group of more like-minded professionals……

WEVO is different -- very different -- and I happen to appreciate that a great deal.

Sometimes less is more, and while the post count here is modest, I can't think of a finer destination when facts, rather than a myriad of semi-qualified opinions, are desired.

To add to these key points quoted from Army Chief's post, I personally do not wish to see the addition of a “For Sale” forum here at Weapon Evolution.

Weapon Evolution is set apart from other web sites for many, many reasons. One main reason is because we stay focused on the topic. I’ve personally witnessed the degradation over the years, of a popular web site that I was very, very actively involved in and devoted countless hours of my personal time on.

One of many reasons I believe which led to the aforementioned sites degradation, was the sites loss of focus.

This web site over the course of a few years, became more and more commercialized. And in an attempt to increase its viewers, opened up countless sub forums of varying topics.

From a profit making standpoint, this opening of sub forums can be a good idea. It increases overall forum traffic, which increases the exposure and subsequent sales of the sponsors and advertisers who support the site. But increasing the traffic to the site, by increasing the number of “off topic” forums, also opens up a web site to the need for increased moderation due to the flood over of posters from one forum to another.

Members who visit the forum often times for the sole purpose of “social interaction” as was mentioned, often times find themselves posting in “technical forums” where they really should not be. This can be very frustrating for those visiting the site who are serious about finding correct information to their questions, correct information to their questions which comes from respectable sources. And, it can be very frustrating for those who volunteer their time Moderating the site.

I could go on to other reasons why I feel the addition of a “For Sale” forum would not be in the best interests of Weapon Evolution, but I’ll leave it at this:

I am very honored to be a member of the Staff here at Weapon Evolution, and given the opportunity to share my tech resources and material with a like minded community of professionals. If I log on to Weapon Evolution and see Currently Active Users: 3 (2 members and 1 guest) at least I know I’m among a community of 2 like minded professionals most likely here visiting with the same focus.

Logging onto a site with 2746 Currently Online: (875 Team Members, 900 Members, and 971 Guests) only leaves me to wonder who is there visiting with the same focus as I.

Quib
6 March 2010, 09:15
A sales board is a great way to increase traffic just about anywhere. However, with it comes a lot of potential hassle and quite frankly, there are other locations that have a higher volume of shoppers and your stuff will disappear quicker there. For the time being, I don't think we're going to be making the addition.

I agree wholeheartedly.

federalist22
6 March 2010, 12:28
I sell my crap on eBay or Gunbroker........or via e-mail if someone PMs me and asks for something I am not using anymore. I like to idea of a sales board, but not at the expense of diluting the forum.

Aragorn
6 March 2010, 14:01
If I need to buy or sell something, I've already got an entire host of places to do so. When I need information, I always come straight here. I'd vote to keep things how they are.

Cold Zero
11 March 2010, 04:08
I can only think of one gun web site that is not commercialized. Basically, they all are.

Quib
11 March 2010, 04:25
I can only think of one gun web site that is not commercialized. Basically, they all are.

I agree. To some point, yes they all are commercialized. A web site needs to get its funding from somewhere, and this usually comes in the form of advertising and site sponsorships.

But when does a web site draw the line and rethink its priorities?

I believe it should draw the line before it becomes so large that it looses focus and is no longer a valuable asset to the firearms community and its membership.

AR-10
21 July 2010, 09:23
Please, don't add a marketplace or equipment exchange.

This forum is packed with tons of great info on products that I would actually buy.

Flying below the radar will help keep it that way.

Rated21R
22 July 2010, 06:23
Please, don't add a marketplace or equipment exchange.

This forum is packed with tons of great info on products that I would actually buy.

Flying below the radar will help keep it that way.

I agree. There are plenty of places for folks to buy/sell stuff in other forums. Keep this the way it is.