PDA

View Full Version : Triggers

bigcoastie
10 March 2009, 11:22
So I've been going back and forth with my ARs as of late I currently have two Noveske N4 light models one is the SWS handguard the other is a VTAC. I'm going to set one up for cqb and the other as more of a dmr or midrange with an acog and was wondering what would you suggest for a trigger, it currently has a RRA 2-stage and it's fairly good. Has anyone shot the RRA and other brands such as Geissele, JP, Timney, etc. are they worth the 150.00-180.00$ over the RRA?

My only other comment is that I really wish Noveske would put out a chrome lined 18" or 20" barrel because their 16" is shooting beyond my abilities so I can't see the reason to go stainless on a spr build.

Stickman
10 March 2009, 11:43
The RRA is not known for longevity/ durability, and that is the single most important function a trigger (or any other weapon component) can give IMO.

The Geiselle trigger is currently considered the beast to beat. With the SSA running under $200, the hardest thing is to find a place that can keep them in stock. The more expensive adjustable one is nice, but I admit to preferring the cheaper SSA for my own builds (I own both).

I've never heard of one of these wearing out.

Paulo_Santos
10 March 2009, 16:19
The WOA Tuned RRA trigger is a much better version of the stock RRA 2-stage. I believe Bill Springfield can fix some of the issues with the RRA 2-Stage or you can contact WOA Directly and they should be able to fix the issues. I have an honest 10K+ through my WOA Tuned RRA and it has never gave me problems. I'm actually waiting for it to crap out on me so I can get the Geiselle SSA.

If you have the cash ($170), the Geiselle SSA is the best non-adjustable 2-stage trigger.

Eric
10 March 2009, 18:05
The SSA is the way to go if cost isn't an issue and you can find one (can't have mine!). Actually, while they do cost a bit more, it's not really that much more and it's cheaper to buy once and be done with it. It seems that the standard RRA triggers are a decent choice, but some folks experience issues as the round count gets up there.

Ryo
10 March 2009, 18:28
Geissele triggers are awesome. I have a RRA, CMMG, and Geissele DMR 2 stage triggers. Geissele wins without a doubt, night and day difference. There wasn't much difference between the CMMG and the RRA.. though I thought the CMMG was slightly better. Note that I don't have a tuned RRA 2 stage.

Any case it's worth to get the Geissele. They are a quality trigger.

Stickman
10 March 2009, 20:32
.... some folks experience issues as the round count gets up there.

I think my round count was around 10 or 12 when my RRA decided to die... I was less than impressed.

Ryo
10 March 2009, 22:03
I think my round count was around 10 or 12 when my RRA decided to die... I was less than impressed.

10 to 12 shots or 10 to 12 thousand shots?

Stickman
10 March 2009, 22:16
10 to 12 shots or 10 to 12 thousand shots?

No, not thousands. If it were in the thousands I would not have any hard feelings.

Ryo
10 March 2009, 22:56
Wow.. that sucks.. What failed? Spring?

Stickman
10 March 2009, 23:10
Wow.. that sucks.. What failed? Spring?

No, the trigger and hammer failed. The angle of one or the other (or both) gave way, and I was left with a very long and ugly single stage trigger. If it was a spring, I would not have cared.

Alaskapopo
11 March 2009, 00:39
Geiselle triggers are great. I have them in all my AR's except for the .22 LR build I am doing right now. Very good triggers the best I have tried even better than KAC.
Pat

Ryo
11 March 2009, 01:10
No, the trigger and hammer failed. The angle of one or the other (or both) gave way, and I was left with a very long and ugly single stage trigger. If it was a spring, I would not have cared.

Wow.. [wow]
I haven't fired my RRA enough to see if there's any issues.

Paulo_Santos
11 March 2009, 12:07
Wow.. [wow]
I haven't fired my RRA enough to see if there's any issues.

It was probably the pin that came loose. That's the weakness of the Standard RRA 2-stage triggers.

SHIHAN
12 March 2009, 00:03
I would like to get a couple os the G SSA's to to try but I have had good results with the Timney's and I was impressed when the owner gave me the full tour. http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348

On my Timneys I had them give me a higher pull weight at about 5lbs and I use the AR10 spring as opposed to the standard AR15 spring to avoid light primer strikes on 5.56 ammo. The standard 3 and 4lb triggers are way to light for a carry weapon.

John Hwang
12 March 2009, 21:44
The WOA Tuned RRA trigger is a much better version of the stock RRA 2-stage. I believe Bill Springfield can fix some of the issues with the RRA 2-Stage or you can contact WOA Directly and they should be able to fix the issues. I have an honest 10K+ through my WOA Tuned RRA and it has never gave me problems. I'm actually waiting for it to crap out on me so I can get the Geiselle SSA.

If you have the cash ($170), the Geiselle SSA is the best non-adjustable 2-stage trigger.

The WOA tuned trigger will feel much nicer than the RRA factory 2-stage but when someone is grinding down the hardened areas, you are talking about even faster wear & tear.

PS. I've had many RRA factory triggers come back broken. It's a nice trigger for most folks but it wouldn't be my first choice. All the failures were the same where the 2-stage became a single stage trigger. They all still worked (meaning you pull the trigger, and the hammer falls but the 2nd stage was lost.)

Ryo
12 March 2009, 21:52
John, What's the common failure of the RRA that you had returned to you?

Hmm.. I haven't seen issue with my RRA yet since I haven't really fired it yet. Just mainly dry firing for testing. Hmm.. maybe it's time to sell. Don't want to deal with issues like that.