PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds before a new Glock is good to go?

BIC
30 April 2016, 21:12
How many uneventful rounds should go through a new Glock before considering it good to go as a self-defense weapon? Thanks.

Stickman
30 April 2016, 23:11
I put a minimum of 500 rounds through any handgun I plan to carry.

DeviantLogic
1 May 2016, 00:47

This. 500 live rounds is the norm for me as well, plus a few hundred dry fire, spread out over at least a few weeks. It's building confidence in the gun and familiarizing yourself with it's feel, the trigger, recoil impulse...and also making things run a little smoother. Also consider working on your draws with a holster assuming you got a new one to go with it. I've bought a couple holsters that looked good, but either required significant break-in or just didn't function as expected when drawing from.

Just remember, if it comes down to it, it's your life and the lives of your loved ones that could be on the line. Ultimately, it comes down to if you are comfortable with what you are carrying. If that takes 200 rounds or 2000 rounds...it's worth it to put in the time and effort to be as proficient with your carry weapon as possible.

Sak007
1 May 2016, 00:59
How many uneventful rounds should go through a new Glock before considering it good to go as a self-defense weapon? Thanks.

I'm somewhere in the 10k + range and still waiting [BD]
I'm with Stickman on a minimum a 500 unless it's a Hi-Point then it's good to go out of the box [:D] I kid I kid

din
1 May 2016, 01:16
...unless it's a Hi-Point then it's good to go out of the box.

Good point. You don't need to run any ammo through it to know you can effectively throw it at someone and run away.

Jerry R
1 May 2016, 08:11

Agree completely. Also, as mentioned, that 500+ is not just square-box offhand target practice. You should work with your carry techniques (and platform specific hardware) on presentation, shots, and reloads. Simple drills just to build confidence in the platform; and to gain muscle memory.

BIC
1 May 2016, 08:37
My question was geared towards hardware reliability, but I also appreciate the thoughts on training. Let me add one more, how many times would you refill/shoot empty a new magazine before calling it reliable? Again, strictly a hardware question. Thanks.

Jerry R
1 May 2016, 11:11
I tend to over-spend on magazines - just a quirk of mine; and they all get range time before carry rotation. But if you go with what some call a minimum - "one in, two in a pouch" and those three are 100% reliable during the initial 500 round set with the pistol, they should be good to go. After that, new magazines get several cycles at the range before carrying. If I run ball, defensive, and my reloads through a magazine (two or three iterations each) and they have no magazine related issues, I put them into rotation. I also mark a magazine if it has one magazine related issue, and put in the range use set. If it does not fail again, back into carry mode. If it fails more than once, and I can positively determine it is the magazine, it is marked differently. I use those for MALF training.

MoxyDave
1 May 2016, 12:47
Of the 20 or so Glocks I've owned over the years, I've never had one that needed "breaking in". Still a good idea to run several hundred through it just to be sure (using your carry load), but I would be 99% confident with an out of the box stock Glock. Several times I've ran just one mag through and started carrying immediately. I have not had the same experience with other brands.

Eric
1 May 2016, 16:18
Still a good idea to run several hundred through it just to be sure (using your carry load). This part is important. I know good duty quality ammo is expensive, but it's important to run some through any carry gun to confirm function. Too often people run a bunch of ball ammo though it, but then load up on HP that they have never fired.

ffhounddog
1 May 2016, 16:27
I put 500 rounds of ball and 150-200 rounds of what I will use for carry for pistol.

When I have a rifle its uselly 500 rounds of ball if I assembled it and 300 rounds of ball for a factory built.