PDA

View Full Version : What is your source for AR small parts?

n4p226r
16 May 2016, 06:55
on my first three builds all my small parts were Colt either purchased from brownells or specialized. I recently decided I wanted an m4 style upper so I found a great deal on 14.5" Colt socom barrels. I decided to get a delta ring setup, bolt, firing pin, firing pin retainer and cam pin from BCM (of course I forgot to buy a gas tube and now I'll have to pay extra for shipping.).

For parts like that, or even dust covers and forward assists, where do you shop? I'll probably stick with BCM or Colt for most of those parts because those are easy places to buy. I just wish shipping was cheaper.

BC98
16 May 2016, 07:20
I usually use BCM and Brownells for small parts. They are both reasonably priced and ship quickly. Shipping is what it is.

BoilerUp
16 May 2016, 07:33
PA and Midway have both revised their shipping policies over the past few years to charge smaller fees for shipping small orders, but I really prefer WOA (White Oak Armament) for LPKs and other small parts. For one, I can piece together an LPK with just the parts I need and save a few bucks, plus they only charge actual shipping costs (rounded up, I suspect). The downside is that you don't know how much they are going to charge you until after you order. I ordered about $40 worth of small parts from them last year and they charged me $4 for shipping to WA. Unfortunately, WOA's parts selection is pretty limited to mil-spec stuff.

SINNER
16 May 2016, 08:06
I find myself using KNS Precision more and more lately. I don't buy lower parts kits because I wind up only using the springs and detents. They seem to consistently have their items in stock.

Duffy
16 May 2016, 08:10
We don't make most of the small parts yet, only mag release buttons, bolt catches, and forward assists, in addition to products we like and are in line with the direction we're going, such ambi charging handles, Redi-Catch, etc.
If you guys need anything we offer on our site, please email me for LE, MIL, EMT, and firemen discount and free shipping codes. When placing an order, please remember to mention WEVO, swag is always included for WEVO members [:D]

UWone77
16 May 2016, 08:18
I usually get Battle Arms Selectors, and EPS Pins. Coupled with Geissele or ALG triggers, and now FCD Bolt Catches, the only thing I buy separately are:

Buffer Detents
Buffer Detent Springs
Magazine Release
Magazine Release Spring

I used to order a bunch when DSG Arms would have free shipping, but I usually just get them from Rainier since they are local.

n4p226r
16 May 2016, 08:51
I usually get Battle Arms Selectors, and EPS Pins. Coupled with Geissele or ALG triggers, and now FCD Bolt Catches, the only thing I buy separately are:

Buffer Detents
Buffer Detent Springs
Magazine Release
Magazine Release Spring

I used to order a bunch when DSG Arms would have free shipping, but I usually just get them from Rainier since they are local.

That's the problem. I need to move local to a store like rainier. It just sucks needing a gas tube and spending $10 plus $10 shipping

UWone77
16 May 2016, 09:20
That's the problem. I need to move local to a store like rainier. It just sucks needing a gas tube and spending $10 plus $10 shipping

I know it doesn't work for most people, but I usually try to keep a lot of parts on hand in case I need them. Thus, I order enough to justify shipping when I have to pay for it. It definitely costs a lot in the long run if you have to nickel and dime parts purchases. Like you said, the shipping is prohibitive.

n4p226r
16 May 2016, 09:52
I know it doesn't work for most people, but I usually try to keep a lot of parts on hand in case I need them. Thus, I order enough to justify shipping when I have to pay for it. It definitely costs a lot in the long run if you have to nickel and dime parts purchases. Like you said, the shipping is prohibitive.

That's the thing I did. My lowers are generally BAD-CASS safety, geissele SSA, and Colt parts. So I ordered enough Colt parts that when I see a chance to get the trigger or safety I can usually pick up an extra when there is a good sale or something. I've never needed a delta ring assembly before or don't usually get stripped uppers where forward assist and dust covers are needed so I never ordered spares. Once I build out my next two lowers I'll inventory and stock up on lower parts kits again.

Joelski
16 May 2016, 12:09
DSG has a great selection of small parts and ships quickly and reasonably as well. Even though they are based in Texas, an order placed Saturday usually hits my doorstep Tuesday morning.

fledge
16 May 2016, 12:56
Ranier must hate me cause I order small parts from them, like gas tubes, and get the free apex shipping all the time and no sales tax.

I get most from Rainier: BAD, FC, V7, etc.

I second SINNER on the KNS and Ergo spring sets. I've also had luck on small stainless parts from various well-reviewed Amazon venders.

I get pins from Brownells in packs so they are on hand. Order them when I buy other stuff.

Tyrannosaur
16 May 2016, 13:02
I usually wait until LWRC has a 20% off deal and go through and order what I need... Rainier'so Apex makes that an easy decision

MoxyDave
16 May 2016, 14:02
Primary Arms and Palmetto State Armory (PSA) have been excellent for me. PA in particular has wicked fast shipping most of the time. I doubt Colt makes those small parts anyway, most vendors source from the same 2 or 3 manufacturers from what I've seen ...

Farva
16 May 2016, 14:05
Rainier and PSA are my go to as well. Brownells has everything under the sun but rapes on shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatordev
16 May 2016, 14:56
I usually get Battle Arms Selectors, and EPS Pins. Coupled with Geissele or ALG triggers, and now FCD Bolt Catches...

When I need to go to the grocery store, I usually take my Maserati, but sometimes I have to take my Aston Martin.

cjd3
16 May 2016, 20:35
I've been looking at KAK for lower parts, but don't know about shipping. They have great bulk rates if you are going to build 100 lowers. You know, one for every upper...

UWone77
16 May 2016, 21:45
I've been looking at KAK for lower parts, but don't know about shipping. They have great bulk rates if you are going to build 100 lowers. You know, one for every upper...

Already got that covered [:D]

WHSmithIV
16 May 2016, 23:07
I was buying the little stuff from Rock River since I was filling out LPK's myself as I got parts from some box lots of miscellaneous parts. That worked fine since the detents, takedown pins etc. were quite cheap and they just put them in a padded envelope and didn't charge for shipping. Their order processing was really slow though - but, the cost was low and the shipping free so I didn't mind being patient. This last order of just a few small bits and pieces though they put in a damn flat rate box and charged the 6.80 for shipping. So... won't be getting more little bits there anymore. Think I'll try Numrich next time if I need any little parts - or just not bother and buy another LPK.

The FNG
17 May 2016, 06:04
Has anyone suggested Red Barn Armory? They have an LPK where you get to pick all your parts and they have a decent selection and good prices.

n4p226r
17 May 2016, 06:48
Primary Arms and Palmetto State Armory (PSA) have been excellent for me. PA in particular has wicked fast shipping most of the time. I doubt Colt makes those small parts anyway, most vendors source from the same 2 or 3 manufacturers from what I've seen ...

It's not that Colt or palmetto make their own parts but with Colt you know what you are getting. With palmetto you done. I've read that there are only 2-3 manufacturers for parts like bolts, carriers, and small parts but in I'm experience it I gave you a front pivot pin from a PSA lower parts kit and another from a Colt lower parts kit and asked which came from the $30 kit and which came from the $60 kit it would be easy to figure out. I'd be fine not buying the "Colt" part and getting the same part or quality from somewhere else. That's at l hope I'm getting when I order from BCM.

WHSmithIV
18 May 2016, 20:19
Has anyone suggested Red Barn Armory? They have an LPK where you get to pick all your parts and they have a decent selection and good prices.

I bought one of those kits once. Didn't need the trigger, safety or grip. It's about 25 for the rest. I bought it when they had a free shipping deal - if you have to pay shipping it isn't really worth it.