PDA

View Full Version : Building a H2 buffer from ashes

gatordev
24 May 2016, 15:25
I have a plethora of CAR and H1 buffers, but I'm trying to end the day with a H2 buffer. My GoogleFu is apparently not on point, as I can find ways to make a lighter buffer out of a H2, but so far haven't found the recipe for making a H2 out of lighter buffers. I blame my impatience.

So, anyone have the magic formula to make a 4.6 oz H2 buffer? If not, I'll just wait until the weekend when (hopefully) DSG has some sort of awesome sale going on and I can just add everything into one cart.

Aragorn
24 May 2016, 16:08
I believe an H2 is two tungsten and one steel weight. So two H1 buffers should have what you need.

Carbine / 3 steel
H1 / 1 Tungsten 2 Steel
H2 / 2 Tungsten 1 Steel

SINNER
24 May 2016, 16:12
You have to replace the steel weights with tungsten ones. That's why the cost of the heavier buffers skyrockets. It's hard to source the tungsten rod in small quantities also.

gatordev
24 May 2016, 18:07
I believe an H2 is two tungsten and one steel weight. So two H1 buffers should have what you need.

Carbine / 3 steel
H1 / 1 Tungsten 2 Steel
H2 / 2 Tungsten 1 Steel

Thanks. I'll play with it over the next day or so.

You have to replace the steel weights with tungsten ones. That's why the cost of the heavier buffers skyrockets. It's hard to source the tungsten rod in small quantities also.

Not a problem. If Aragorn's math is right, I should be good. I'm swimming in CAR and H1 buffers.

EO3
24 May 2016, 18:40
Any chance you want to get rid of one of those H1's?

gatordev
25 May 2016, 04:03

Okay, maybe swimming was an exaggeration. I believe I have 2, which is what I need for the conversion. But if you need a CAR buffer, let me know.

Uffdaphil
25 May 2016, 04:21
How about A5 buffers? Does the H0 have a tungsten weight? I would like to make a standard into an H4.

Aragorn
25 May 2016, 12:51
How about A5 buffers? Does the H0 have a tungsten weight? I would like to make a standard into an H4.

I'm not sure about the A5's. Never been in one. I've got a H0 and either a 2 or 3, whichever comes standard. I'll do some digging.

Aragorn
25 May 2016, 12:59
Ok, A5's

They use 4 weights

H0 / 4 steel
H1 / 3 steel 1 tungsten
H2 / 2 steel 2 tungsten
H3 / 1 steel 3 tungsten
H4 / 4 tungsten

UWone77
25 May 2016, 13:09
Allegedly Geissele is coming out with a new Buffer that you can build up to tune your rifle.

gatordev
25 May 2016, 15:22
Ok, A5's

They use 4 weights

H0 / 4 steel
H1 / 3 steel 1 tungsten
H2 / 2 steel 2 tungsten
H3 / 1 steel 3 tungsten
H4 / 4 tungsten

Your numbers are different than before. So is H2 2 steel or 1? 4.6 oz is the standard, right? Just making sure before I build one up.

Slippers
25 May 2016, 16:27
Your numbers are different than before. So is H2 2 steel or 1? 4.6 oz is the standard, right? Just making sure before I build one up.

Those are the A5 buffer internals, different from normal ones.

Aragorn
25 May 2016, 16:29

The second set of numbers are for the buffers in the Vltor A5 series, and they use 4 weights.

Standard buffers use just three. For a standard length (carbine length) H2 buffer you'll need 2 tungsten and one steel.

gatordev
25 May 2016, 17:16
Gotcha, gotcha, gotcha. Now that I reread it, it makes more sense. Thanks.

gatordev
26 May 2016, 14:30

So apparently it's a good thing I didn't offer up a H1. Turns out of the "two" I had, one was already in a rifle. I hate it when a plan doesn't come together.

tappedandtagged
27 May 2016, 03:25
Allegedly Geissele is coming out with a new Buffer that you can build up to tune your rifle.

Part of me says "Cool!" The other part says "Does it matter that much?"

mustangfreek
1 June 2016, 00:41
So many different configurations a one does all or adjust to work would be nice..

I'm in the same boat and need/want to try a H2 in this 14.5" I just picked up

Iraqgunz
5 June 2016, 14:21
If it is a MILSPEC barrel with a .063 gas port then an H2 will work fine with military ammo (M193, M855, MK262). That is the current buffer of U.S Army issued M4's.

So many different configurations a one does all or adjust to work would be nice..

I'm in the same boat and need/want to try a H2 in this 14.5" I just picked up

cjd3
6 June 2016, 19:58
I just saw this KAK Buffer (https://www.rainierarms.com/kak-ar15-configurable-buffer-kit) kit today. Pretty cool idea to dial in your buffer.

Former11B
7 June 2016, 12:08
While we are talking about buffers....

I have an 18" barrel from Rainier with rifle length gas and even with a WAR upper (adjustable gas system), I feel like it is really slinging the heck out of the brass and banging it up. My thought is the carrier speed since it's a lightweight AR15 carrier vs a "full auto" M16 style carrier. I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that a heavier buffer would benefit me here. I was looking at H1 buffers (3.8oz) & H2 buffers (4.6oz) and then saw a Spikes ST-T2 (4.3oz) but the difference in the Spike's buffer was Tungsten powder vs stacked weights, claiming to reduce reciprocation noise. Any validity to this? And is a heavier buffer even a solution to my "problem"? Otherwise the rifle functions flawlessly and shoots very very well.

Aragorn
7 June 2016, 12:21
I shoot spikes buffers pretty much exclusively when I'm not running an A5. Very smooth, no problems. Not with my T-1's or T-2's.

A heavier buffer would slow your carrier speed, but, if you can do it with your adjustable gas that would the place to start, assuming you're not already running on a very low setting.

ETA: The other thing you could do would be use a heavier buffer spring.

Slippers
7 June 2016, 14:50
Spikes buffers with the powder do not work as well as a normal buffer, and tend to cause more bolt bounce. They do not have the same dead blow effect. There are several videos showing this in slow motion.

Aragorn
7 June 2016, 17:26
I swear I learn something new everytime Slippers posts...

Former11B
8 June 2016, 11:00
Spikes buffers with the powder do not work as well as a normal buffer, and tend to cause more bolt bounce. They do not have the same dead blow effect. There are several videos showing this in slow motion.

Are they on youtube or somewhere else? If it's Youtube, I'll search when I get home...it's blocked at work