PDA

View Full Version : 5.7 Upper thread

Stickman
10 March 2009, 20:05
John was nice enough to let me borrow one of the 5.7 uppers that drops directly onto a standard AR15 lower. With the addition of a heavy buffer (included with the upper), all you need to ammo to get shooting this blow back weapon platform.

There are plenty of comments about the 5.7 ammunition, but I think if we look at it as a PDW caliber, and not a MBR, it makes more sense.

If anyone else has played around with one of these, I'm interested in their comments. If anyone has any questions, I'll answer what I can, but I make no claims of being an expert on this upper.

Here is the link to the review....
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7065&posted=1#post7065

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/0O2P1738-A-1028-Stick.jpg

lmmmmm
10 March 2009, 21:16
I shoot the FiveSeven pistol and I have no issues with 5.7 caliber.

There are optional high power loads produced by one company in the caliber that matches the original intent of the caliber capability. The loads produced by FN have been reduced in the 2 formats available commercially (ss195 and ss197).

How heavy is the front end with the ammo stored on top??

Stickman
10 March 2009, 21:26
With the shorty, it gives it a pretty central center of balance, so its not bad at all. I've done dry drills with a UBR, ACS, and CTR, and it feels good to me. The heavier backend carbines tend to always feel better to me anyway, so the UBR was a favorite, then the ACS.

Alaskapopo
11 March 2009, 00:37
With respect I don't get it. The round is anemic and about the same as a 22 mag. The ammo is expensive so its not really a good plinker unless you are rich. I just don't see the point unless you are a huge 5.7 fan. But then again I would have to question anyone who chooses this round for applications involving shooting anything much larger than a house cat.

TehLlama
12 March 2009, 10:17
For somebody who already owns a FiveseveN, or is looking to use one can on an SBR and a pistol, or arrangements like that.

PDW rounds being tied to their specific PDW weapon systems has been a limitation in the past (only buyers for those rounds are people with that particular weapon system, so ammo prices stay high).

That said, a stocked pistol arrangement (similar to the CX4) with the 5.7 round, CMMG extended magazines would get nearly the same job accomplished as a much smaller SBR.

This makes me wonder how easy an SPR AR15 conversion kit would be for the 6x35mm round...

Stickman
12 March 2009, 10:42
With respect I don't get it. The round is anemic and about the same as a 22 mag.

You've got to look at this as a PDW variant, not as a regular carbine platform. It obviously can't compare to a .308, but neither can a 5.56. This can't really compare to a 5.56 platform, though I know there are people who would argue that idea.

Ryo
12 March 2009, 11:14
Do you guys think this is worth getting? I don't really see ammo being a stopping issue since when I last looked up the prices, the 5.7 and 223 were both expensive. Besides I plan to reload my own rounds so that should push the price down.

Concept it look good, pretty creative to have the brass drop downwards to the mag well. I am still deciding if I like the look of it.

Only reason I'm looking at it is that I have few lowers, not enough uppers.. so looking at different setups.

SHIHAN
12 March 2009, 18:25
If I didnt have a PS90 to match my FiveSeveN pistol I would get one.

Army Chief
13 March 2009, 01:37
I very much like the 5.7 AR concept, even if I would probably prefer to own a PS90 if I was planning to invest heavily in this caliber. (If we're comparing the two in SBR trim, the diminutive FN is still rather hard to beat.)

Still, the 5.7 upper is obviously well-built and effectively integrated into the AR form factor, and while it may fall just a bit short on practicality (depending upon how one might choose to define that), it is unquestionably off-the-charts in the innovation and interest categories.

If I had even the slightest commitment to this PDW cartridge -- which I may, at some point -- I would definitely consider adding a 5.7 upper to my tool kit. For the price, it's an almost irresistable temptation for an unobligated lower. :)

AC

Ryo
13 March 2009, 09:13
Too bad the FN is pretty expensive. This AR-57 puts it in a price category that's pretty attractive.

Army Chief
13 March 2009, 09:32
I hadn't really factored-in economics, but you're entirely right: the 5.7 upper is available for a fraction of the PS90s street price, and you gain modularity in the sense that you aren't tied to just that platform if/when you want to go in another direction. Good point!

AC

John Hwang
13 March 2009, 21:33
Considering the AR57 upper comes complete with a monolithic rail system & BCG, it's pretty affordable.

Ryo
13 March 2009, 22:46
Hmm.. maybe I'll make a pistol lower with the AR57.. low kick, and I assume it's not needing a standard AR buffer & tube?

John Hwang
13 March 2009, 23:02
AR57 comes with it's own buffer. It works with carbine buffer tubes.

Ryo
13 March 2009, 23:08
So John, it's a must to have a regular cabine buffer tube, or can I put on a short tube?

John Hwang
14 March 2009, 13:46
I am not aware of it will work with a short tube or not. These were designed to work with carbine buffer tubes.

Talyn
1 August 2009, 12:46
With respect I don't get it. The round is anemic and about the same as a 22 mag. The ammo is expensive so its not really a good plinker unless you are rich. I just don't see the point unless you are a huge 5.7 fan. But then again I would have to question anyone who chooses this round for applications involving shooting anything much larger than a house cat.

It's abit more lethal than the 22 mag And cheaper than 5.56/223.

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57

ryanm
3 August 2009, 04:42
I'm running an ACE Socom stock on my AR57 build with the provided carbine buffer, no problems. I'm not sure how much shorter you can go?

markm
6 December 2009, 09:18
I shot a guys AR57 last weekend. I thought it was kinda cool. With the nylon tipped bullets he was firing, we could shoot on my pistol gongs. Ball AR ammo would go right through these gongs.

jestertoo
3 February 2010, 21:35
I love my 11" AR57. I recently got the FA bolt/buffer (heavy 2pc) and it runs great. Say 750-900rpm, doubles are easy.

Here's a picture of it on my SBR lower.

http://www.125gp.com/~jester/pics/gun/ar57-sbr.jpg

DMGunn
14 March 2010, 21:50
I am interested in doing an SBR 5.7 - was hoping for more pics to help persuade me to buy another something I have no legitimate use for.....

no one else out there has one of these? Nice pics so far, by the way. :P