PDA

View Full Version : Best Factory Rifle for around $1500

rxer311
30 May 2016, 16:14
I have a bunch of custom builds that I have done, and I love them all in their own way. At this moment, however, I am in the market for a high quality factory built rifle. Its is a rifle that will be run hard and that I want to be a go to for SHTF duty as unlikely as that may be. My custom builds are great, but I want the piece of mind of a rifle manufactured from the ground up that has a factory warranty. I have always preferred 14.5" barrels with a pinned muzzle device and not going the NFA route. I don't need to hear that it makes swapping parts difficult in the future because I am buying a factory rifle as to not ever mess with it...I have my custom builds for that. I have been looking at a few different rifles and have thought of these.

1. DD V11 SLW
2. Spikes Crusader
3. BCM KMR 14.5

Of these 3 rifles I have only handled the DD V11 SLW and I really like it. I also have a home build that is similar to the BCM as it has a 14.5" barrel and 13" KMR. I have found some good deals on the Spikes on Gunbroker that would leave me with enough $ for a decent optic (Aimpoint PRO or Meprolight RDS) within my budget.

Just looking for opinions on what I have listed and possibly get some more ideas on rifles I have not thought about yet. I am not totally opposed to a 16" barrel, but do prefer 14.5".

Thanks.

Joelski
30 May 2016, 16:36
No "Gold Stsndard"? Also, when TEOTWAWKI hits, who exactly will you contact for warranty service?

rxer311
30 May 2016, 16:49
No "Gold Stsndard"? Also, when TEOTWAWKI hits, who exactly will you contact for warranty service?

What kind of incoherent rambling is this? LOL [:D]

I will have a warranty up until TEOTWAWKI hits. After that? I am just looking for a solid, durable rifle.

What is your "gold standard?"

UWone77
30 May 2016, 17:04
From your list, they are all good options. The BCM has improved with the KMR Alpha vs the original KMR. However, I don't like the fact BCM doesn't pin their gas blocks.

If I had $1500 to spend on a quality factory rifle, I'd consider the following:

Option #1

Buy a Colt OEM 2, around $750. Buy the furniture you prefer, Rail of your choice, an Aimpoint PRO, a sling, and have enough cash left over for Mags and an Arisaka Light.

Option #2

Buy a used KAC SR-15. It's a buyers market right now, I've seen lightly used KAC Mod 0 and 1's for $1500-$1700 used. I bought one of mine with a Triple Tap for $1600. As far as I know, KAC has never had a broken commercial E3 bolt. Perfect for the dirt shooter most of us are.

Option #3

You don't need a factory rifle. [:D]

Joelski
30 May 2016, 17:24
People yell "Buy a Colt!" like Biden yells "Buy a shotgun!"

Joelski
30 May 2016, 17:28
Concur with option #3.

If you don't have pinned gb's or staked castle nuts get it done. Otherwise split the remainder evenly between boolits and training.

UWone77
30 May 2016, 17:53
People yell "Buy a Colt!" like Biden yells "Buy a shotgun!"

Only that buying a Colt is sound advice. Biden's just an idiot.

Like it or not, Colt is still the gold standard. I've seen OEM1 and 2's for under $700. I'll take that over someone's bubba build or PSA special any day.

Joelski
30 May 2016, 18:04
Like I said...

I have one, and the t-shirt, so im not part of the "just as good as" crowd. I won't take it over my own stuff, either. I know what's in it and I had it nut & bolted by a pro. Good parts + do what the pictures say = G2G.

Naytwan
30 May 2016, 20:29
It's not on your list but I would take a look at an Aero Precision M4E1 rifle. I have several of there uppers and they run like a champ. Customer service has been on point.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-22316-complete-rifle.html

I have an M5E1 308 rifle from the factory that has been amazing. I also have 1 factory built upper. It's been very accurate and reliable. You could get one of the M4E1 rifles and optic for under $1500.

BoilerUp
30 May 2016, 22:11
However, I don't like the fact BCM doesn't pin their gas blocks.]

I believe BCM use Hi-temp Loctite or something like that on their gas blocks. The only problems I have ever heard regarding BCM factory installed gas blocks is that they are extremely difficult to remove.

BoilerUp
30 May 2016, 22:30
Personally, BCM is one of the few factory guns I'd buy when it comes to standard "DI". DD and LMT are also great factory rifles, I just don't care for the hand guards and furniture they come with. I don't have direct experience w/ Spikes, but my mental model doesn't put Spikes on the same list as BCM, DD, or LMT. I won't give Colt my business anymore. What I like about BCM is that you can tell the guns are built by guys who shoot and that drives them to innovate. Colt is a corporation trying to milk every penny out of their M4 relic.

I'd be inclined to follow UWone's advice and pick up a used KAC, though, if I really wanted another factory gun.

Army203
31 May 2016, 02:50
Get a Colt or a KAC. Have you seen military KAC and Colt M4s/M16s? Most have been rode hard like a prom queen at a gang bang.

n4p226r
31 May 2016, 03:09
I'd probably go with this

https://www.shopwideopenarmory.com/collections/noveske-rifleworks/products/noveske-n4-skinny-carbine-basic-moe-5-56nato-14-5

But I'm a fanboy.

If I didn't like that option I'd get a Colt oem-2, centurion rail, BCM grip and B5 sopmod stock. That's probably a better gun and you'd have money left over.

Former11B
31 May 2016, 05:32
Colt's usually don't come with the best finish (they are known to come a little dinged up due to getting tossed in a pile with other rifles) but if you buy a Pony rifle, you're getting a work horse. It's a tool and it looks like one. UWone has solid advice: a 6920 plus a red dot and other must-haves.

If you want something that is perfect and shiny...maybe look elsewhere.

SINNER
31 May 2016, 07:13
I agree 100% with the Colt direction if you must have a factory built rifle. I've lost count of how many AR's I have but my run for your life gear has two 6920's packed in it.

DD makes a nice rifle also but when I get to spending that kind of coin I rather build it myself. One of the only weapons I've ever sold was a Knight's a few years back and it was a fantastic rifle but again I rather just build one.

Joelski
31 May 2016, 08:23
If I could find a used KAC for $1,500 vs. a brand new Colt for $1,200, I'd be on that used SR like stink on a wet dog!

Stone
31 May 2016, 12:31
I have a bunch of custom builds that I have done, and I love them all in their own way. At this moment, however, I am in the market for a high quality factory built rifle. Its is a rifle that will be run hard and that I want to be a go to for SHTF duty as unlikely as that may be. My custom builds are great, but I want the piece of mind of a rifle manufactured from the ground up that has a factory warranty. I have always preferred 14.5" barrels with a pinned muzzle device and not going the NFA route. I don't need to hear that it makes swapping parts difficult in the future because I am buying a factory rifle as to not ever mess with it...I have my custom builds for that. I have been looking at a few different rifles and have thought of these.

1. DD V11 SLW
2. Spikes Crusader
3. BCM KMR 14.5

Of these 3 rifles I have only handled the DD V11 SLW and I really like it. I also have a home build that is similar to the BCM as it has a 14.5" barrel and 13" KMR. I have found some good deals on the Spikes on Gunbroker that would leave me with enough $ for a decent optic (Aimpoint PRO or Meprolight RDS) within my budget.

Just looking for opinions on what I have listed and possibly get some more ideas on rifles I have not thought about yet. I am not totally opposed to a 16" barrel, but do prefer 14.5".

Thanks.

So why cant your builds be run hard? Somebody else assembling a rifle in a factory is no guarantee that your getting a better rifle. Confidence comes from training, training and more training and accepting the fact that things break no matter who makes them. Knowing what to do in a bad situation when firearms go down will go a lot further than dropping more coin on another rifle.

rob_s
31 May 2016, 13:44
There are rumors that Colt was supposed to announce a new factory rifle with mid-length gas system and Centurion Free-float handguard at the NRA show. Anyone know if that came to pass?

I always find the "factory rifle" discussion interesting. I wish there was a perfect plug-n-play option as I think most "builds" go full-retard real quick.

of your list, I'd probably opt for the DD. Something like this might interest me
https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7tm-lw.html

Although I'm still a lover of Picatinny, so this is probably the way I'd go. I'm just sort of assuming street price would be ~$1500
https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v5-lw.html

I'm starting to feel old though. I hadn't a clue that a SR15 was a $2k+ rifle these days. It was my first thought when I read the thread title, only to discover they were way more expensive than I remembered.

Regardless, it seems a shame that one can't name a functional factory AR that's <$1500 with modern accessories. I think it should be

16" LW or medcon barrel
midlength gas
12" handguard with QD sockets at nut and muzzle end, both sides, pick your attachment system (probably MLOK to keep down cost and weight)
Magpul stock & grip (I'd personally like to see MOE-SL for stock and MOE for grip)

Barring that, I'd probably buy a Colt OEM and find a drop-on MLOK handguard and use the Magpul furniture. I'd do everything the snowflake guns will do with zero issue.

rob_s
31 May 2016, 14:15
On second thought, I'd probably just get this
http://galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=LE6920MPS-FDE&

EO3
31 May 2016, 22:44
FWIW, Primary Arms right now has all in stock Daniel Defense rifles for $300 off. Pretty good deal...

mustangfreek
1 June 2016, 01:07
Man this is such a loaded question, so many options out there and prices at about there best in years..for the moment..

Never had a colt but it seems like the std reply.. I like others enjoy building them more and then you can do it how you want..I say that and I've not quite built the "ONE" yet just usually came across a good deal and a few others and a rifle or upper appeared..

Again so many options..DD ,COLT, KAC are all solid and have great reps, spend it wisely

rxer311
1 June 2016, 05:57
FWIW, Primary Arms right now has all in stock Daniel Defense rifles for $300 off. Pretty good deal...

I just saw this...I thought my LGS had a good deal on it for $1369...PA has them for $1299...

Tyrannosaur
1 June 2016, 06:21
If I weren't in NY I would give the new LWRC DI platform a go. I think they come in at $1500-1600 MSRP

rob_s
1 June 2016, 06:51
If I weren't in NY I would give the new LWRC DI platform a go. I think they come in at $1500-1600 MSRP

Any particular reason or experience with them, or just something you're interested in trying out?

rxer311
1 June 2016, 07:20

Thanks for the info. I have something more to look in to now. I can pick one of these up at my LGS for around $1400.

Tyrannosaur
1 June 2016, 10:11
Any particular reason or experience with them, or just something you're interested in trying out?

I've ran their piston upper and never had an issue. 5000+ rounds, solid and we'll built. The Di came out and would love to try it out... as I said I live in NY so most likely will not ever get one. But as far as I know they're within the price range he's looking for.
Their ambi lower is forged I believe and in itself worth getting. The barrels are nitride and the BCG looks nice too

rob_s
1 June 2016, 11:14
I've ran their piston upper and never had an issue. 5000+ rounds, solid and we'll built. The Di came out and would love to try it out... as I said I live in NY so most likely will not ever get one. But as far as I know they're within the price range he's looking for.
Their ambi lower is forged I believe and in itself worth getting. The barrels are nitride and the BCG looks nice too

Looks... sort of interesting. Not sure if you know these answers or not but,
1) is the lower true-ambi (bolt catch & release and mag release on both sides) or partial ambi (like the KAC)?
2) dimensions of hte handguard? Subjectively, the diameter looks... large.

schambers
1 June 2016, 11:44
The hand guards are not as large as they look in pictures. Somewhat between the size of a KAC URX rail and a Troy rail. maybe 1.6" - 1.7" outer diameter if I had to guess.

The lowers on their piston guns I've tried from them are true ambi. I believe the DI guns are the same

1) is the lower true-ambi (bolt catch & release and mag release on both sides) or partial ambi (like the KAC)?

For the OP: I could swear that someone asked this exact question a few months ago... or maybe this is the same thread and it just popped up again... or maybe I'm just getting a weird sense of deja vu

Anyways, Hodge Defense makes a very good rifle for the general price range your looking at.

Tyrannosaur
1 June 2016, 11:58

Yes the lower is full ambi, both the mag catch and the bolt release are proprietary. But it is full ambi. I had the billet version (which was outfitted with the Norgon mag release) and the bolt catch is machined into the lower.

The handguard on their SPR upper (piston) was about the width of a Geissele MK3 handguard, but solid. The upper receiver is monoforged and has a proprietary barrel nut. As far as the dimensions of the DI handguard I'm not sure. Most likely wide like their other hand guard. I don't work for them and I have no real world experience I just know I ran the upper I had and wasn't nice to it and it always functioned and was machined beautifully. Damn you Cuomo

rxer311
2 June 2016, 02:17
So after all that...I went with option #3.

I don't need a factory rifle.

I had a 13.5" Noveske NSR rail hanging around from my "other" "Noveske" build and I decided to go all in. I called Noveske directly and ordered a Gen 3 matched upper and lower set. I then was able to get a 14.5" chrome lined Noveske barrel with a trifecta FH to pin on it. Though not listed on their website, they did have the standard phosphate BCGs which I added to my order. Since I got the barrel and BCG direct from the manufacturer they are going to make sure my bolt is properly headspaced to the barrel. I also picked up a gunfighter Noveske marked CH.

I then went to Primary arms and got the things I needed to complete my lower. I got an ALG lower parts kit with an ALG ACT trigger as well as an ALG mil spec buffer tube assembly with H buffer. I also picked up an H2 just because I don't have one. I finished it off with a Noveske QD enplate. I am going to take all this stuff to my local gunsmith, "Lanco Tactical" for final assembly.

UWone77
2 June 2016, 11:23
I'm starting to feel old though. I hadn't a clue that a SR15 was a $2k+ rifle these days. It was my first thought when I read the thread title, only to discover they were way more expensive than I remembered.

You know rob, I want to say that SR-15's used to be 1899-1999 MSRP back in the day. Right now I believe they are $2199-2299 depending on the dealer. This is really why I'm amazed that several newer players in the market are bringing their guns to market at $2700+ to even over 3k+ (Cobalt Kinetics comes to mind) Unless you are bringing a fully ambi gun to market, with a 2 stage match trigger, SOPMOD stock, and a proven platform like the SR-15, I'm not sure how you're going to be able to get much traction in an already crowded market at $2700+

UWone77
2 June 2016, 14:58
I know you've already made your decision OP, but I was just browsing through the Kentucky Gun Company Post Memorial Day sales ad:

Colt 6720 $769 with free shipping
Colt 6721 $729 also free shipping

If I was starting all over again, I'd get 2 6720's

rxer311
2 June 2016, 15:16
Those are some good deals but really not much better than my LGS has them...when they actually get them in.

Basically I sold my motorcycle so I had some cash to spend on a rifle. I weighed my options and for whatever reason I have always wanted a Gen 3 Noveske rifle, however, I could not find an afghan (14.5") CHF CL anywhere and it was a bit above my price range. I already had some of the parts needed with the NSR rail, and Magpul STR stock and some of the other smaller parts on hand. I called up Noveske and told them what I wanted and they pretty much took care of me by setting me up with everything I needed to complete my upper to their specs. They are also headspacing my bolt to my barrel. So this is about as close as I could get to a factory Noveske without being a factory Noveske. I also am finishing the lower with an ALG ACT FCG as per the specs on their Gen 3 rifles.

As others on here mentioned, buy quality parts and have quality gunsmiths turn the wrenches and I should be GTG.

Is Noveske stuff a bit overpriced? Probably. Are there other parts that are arguably better? Yep. But does Noveske make a top shelf product? Arguably yes. I just had the itch and the cash so I decided to just go for it. Those are just some of the things that led me down this path...that and you giving me "option 3" [BD]

I do, however, see one of those Colt 6920's in my safe in the near future...but I will probably go with the OEM 2 and use the furniture I like.

n4p226r
3 June 2016, 05:05
I know you've already made your decision OP, but I was just browsing through the Kentucky Gun Company Post Memorial Day sales ad:

ill end up getting a 6920 OEM for the same price because NJ hates me an the 6721 isn't allowed here :(

mustangfreek
3 June 2016, 13:41

I seen that also..So many good deals right now.I need to win the lottery...lol

celalsur
3 March 2022, 21:38
I've read through the forums and hoping there is some general consensus on a solid <$1500 rifle out there. I'm specifically looking for a bombproof mountain rifle in 7mm RM. The farthest I plan to ever hunt with it is about 600yds, so not quite the "long range hunting" that a lot of guys talk about. I've seen some higher end Remmys, Winchesters, plus some others like Sako, Kimber, and Christensen. I don't plan on tinkering with it and I don't reload. I just want a solid, bombproof, accurate, and relatively lightweight out of the box hunting rifle. I'm a snob when it comes to archery and optics, but a custom rifle would be overkill for what I need. I have a $400 Remington ADL that is ugly as sin, has a rough action, rusts easily, and is an absolute tack driver. It is being sold for a new rifle down payment. Thanks for answering my basic questions and patiently enduring my lack of knowledge.

Former11B
4 March 2022, 18:35
I've read through the forums and hoping there is some general consensus on a solid <$1500 rifle out there. I'm specifically looking for a bombproof mountain rifle in 7mm RM. The farthest I plan to ever hunt with it is about 600yds, so not quite the "long range hunting" that a lot of guys talk about. I've seen some higher end Remmys, Winchesters, plus some others like Sako, Kimber, and Christensen. I don't plan on tinkering with it and I don't reload. I just want a solid, bombproof, accurate, and relatively lightweight out of the box hunting rifle. I'm a snob when it comes to archery and optics, but a custom rifle would be overkill for what I need. I have a $400 Remington ADL that is ugly as sin, has a rough action, rusts easily, and is an absolute tack driver. It is being sold for a new rifle down payment. Thanks for answering my basic questions and patiently enduring my lack of knowledge.

This

https://www.gungenius.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action-rifles/bergara-b-14-brgrr-38oensqz/

tact
5 March 2022, 13:28
11B has a solid recommendation with the HMR. I would also throw Tikka in there as well. I would stay away from Kimber and Christensen……just my personal opinion of course.