PDA

View Full Version : Oregon?

alamo5000
1 June 2016, 07:53
Does anyone know the basic status of the gun laws in Oregon? Specifically around Portland area.

I may or may not have an opportunity there so I am asking questions here and elsewhere about it.

Any other information would be helpful as well... IE social life... what's the scene like... what to expect etc etc.

Thanks!

Former11B
1 June 2016, 08:07
I went through there once and it felt like a lot of Californians had floated north. Hippies, weirdos, people asking you to help save this, help save that. Do you like rain?

velocity2006
1 June 2016, 17:11
Oregon allows open carry in most places, but reciprocity is not something I am up to date on as far as what other states are valid here. Portland specifically is bad when it comes to regulations, many places try to prohibit carry including public transit. I carry everywhere if I can so I try to avoid places where I can't, that said, I carry in Portland regularly. Be aware pretty much every major event in Portland will put you through some kind of security screen/metal detector, so those are usually no go's. For non-CHL holders there are restrictions on traveling with a loaded weapon (mag in the trunk, gun in the front and visible type of shit).

If you can get your fishing/hunting license you can keep a rod in your rig and state you are on your way fishing, which is a bit of a work around for the loaded weapon rule. (Transport of loaded weapon is allowed if on your way to/or from hunting/fishing.) Easier to get your CHL though if you are a resident.

I have never been harassed in Portland by police about anything so I cannot vouch for their demeanor. Portland itself has anything you could want as far as night life stuff, restaurants, bars, etc. As previously stated a lot of Liberals in the larger Oregonian cities, and you will have to deal with that.

The FNG
21 June 2016, 20:40
There are a few cities in Oregon you can absolutely not open carry without a CHL. Portland is one, but just the city. Multnomah county cops can be real dicks, too. Visit the Oregon Firearms Federation website. They produce a booklet for like $10 that I would call essential to read if you plan to carry in Oregon. It breaks down each and every law and justification or ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk