PDA

View Full Version : Geissele Automatics Super 42 Spring and Buffer

UWone77
6 June 2016, 08:51
Now that Johnny Danger Photography let the cat out of the bag, we can finally post this.

Soft Launched today, so checkout the Geissele (https://geissele.com/super-42-braided-wire-buffer-spring-and-buffer-combo.html)Page for more information.

https://geissele.com/super-42-braided-wire-buffer-spring-and-buffer-combo.html

For folks that haven't seen it, @geissele did a soft launch of the new Super 42 braided wire buffer spring and buffer combo. It uses 3 independent strands of wire like the MG42 machine gun which acts as a harmonic damper and energy absorber. The wires flex separately from each other and helps displace excess energy which decreases the chance of spring failure.

Description:

The Geissele Super 42 (https://geissele.com/super-42-braided-wire-buffer-spring-and-buffer-combo.html) Spring was designed to improve the function and reliability of your AR-15 pattern rifle. Its unique spring design uses three independent strands of wire, just like the German MG42 Machine Gun. This concept acts as a harmonic damper and energy absorber by allowing the springs to flex separately from each other. This flex helps displace excess energy which decreases the chance of spring failure and assists with making your AR-15 more reliable.

Compared to the stock spring, The Geissele Super 42 Spring has a decreased tendency to lose length and force over a given round count. As an added bonus, it removes the annoying spring reverberations (twang) heard and felt by the shooter through the buttstock. The Super 42 Spring has a 15% stronger average return force than the standard buffer spring. This will assist in stripping rounds out of the magazine when operating with a dirty weapon or when using steel-case ammo.

SINNER
6 June 2016, 09:38
Some real potential advances lately in the buffer/spring area of AR's. A neglected area IMO. Nice to see that happening.

UWone77
6 June 2016, 09:47
Some real potential advances lately in the buffer/spring area of AR's. A neglected area IMO. Nice to see that happening.

Absolutely. I think with a lot more people running suppressed SBR's it was definitely an area that needed to be addressed.

SwissyJim
6 June 2016, 10:19
hmmm.... might need to check this out. Trying to reduce the TWANG with my 5.56 SBR with the LAW folder (negates the JP silent capture...)
Now to find one...
Never mind - in stock direct and shipping now. ordered!

fledge
6 June 2016, 10:22
Between this and Lantac's announcement, I'm hopeful to never need adjustable gas blocks in the future and port holes won't need to cater to the worst ammo.

Slippers
6 June 2016, 10:24
Darn, the buffer is also proprietary.

Eric
6 June 2016, 12:30
Darn, the buffer is also proprietary.
I'm wondering if the braided spring ends up with a thicker diameter, requiring a slightly thinner buffer OD.

Aragorn
6 June 2016, 12:33
I'm interested to see some long term reviews when time enough has gone by. In my mind Springco owns the world of buffer springs.

Duffy
6 June 2016, 14:47
I like this better than any system that increases parts count. I'm glad Bill didn't do something fancy, and stayed with simple and elegant solutions. I think we'll carry those in our store :)

UWone77
6 June 2016, 15:47
I like this better than any system that increases parts count. I'm glad Bill didn't do something fancy, and stayed with simple and elegant solutions. I think we'll carry those in our store :)

Roger, I translate this statement to... I think I'll get some at dealer cost for myself. [:D]

SINNER
6 June 2016, 18:09
I need to be a dealer.

Joelski
6 June 2016, 18:56
So this pops up supposedly today and its on sale already, yet the ch that's been bandied about for 6 months or more is still yet to make an appearance.. :confused:

Joelski
6 June 2016, 19:00
I need to be a dealer.

Curiously, Geissele doesn't have a lot fo demands on becoming a dealer or a reseller...

fledge
6 June 2016, 19:02
I wrote them asking about the add on tungsten weights they show on their purchase page and buffer choices. I'll report if they reply.

Duffy
6 June 2016, 19:50
I just bought JP's captured spring and buffer [BD] I don't have problems with buffers and springs generally, except when I got adventurous and got an extra heavy POF carrier which caused cycling and ejection problems. Bolt bounce happened to me, but I was using 9mm buffers that were popular for a while in mid to late 2000s (I haven't used them in a long time).

I like simple solutions that don't solve a problem by adding another of its own (such as doubling or tripling parts count). I like studying old weapon systems because often they have valuable lessons that are long lost when the weapons became obsolete and discarded, their technology still has merits.

Roger, I translate this statement to... I think I'll get some at dealer cost for myself. [:D]

DeviantLogic
7 June 2016, 04:29
I wrote them asking about the add on tungsten weights they show on their purchase page and buffer choices. I'll report if they reply.

One weight will bring it up to an H2 buffer, and a second will bring it to an H3 buffer. Price seems kind of high for the added weights.

Slippers
7 June 2016, 05:05
Should see if the weights are the same size and mass as normal buffers. Could potentially take an h buffer apart that you already own for an extra tungsten weight then.

voodoo_man
7 June 2016, 06:38
Yay something else I don't need but want

fledge
7 June 2016, 07:41
Geissele responded with the instructions on how to add and remove the buffer weights.

https://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.net/media/files/Tungsten_Buffer_Weight_Instructions.pdf

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/Geissele/67D4C347-08D4-418F-8665-A47C63170ACA_zpshzcuzzrl.jpeg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/Geissele/67D4C347-08D4-418F-8665-A47C63170ACA_zpshzcuzzrl.jpeg.html)

fledge
7 June 2016, 08:18
I asked if a milspec carbine buffer can work with the spring. The reply:

The reason the spring and buffer are sold together is that the ID (internal diameter) of the spring is somewhat smaller than a standard spring. While it will still fit over your standard buffer with a little effort, the spring would bulge out and create interference with the buffer tube which would cause it to drag. The Super 42 buffer is turned down on the diameter that the spring rests on to alleviate this problem. If installed (Super 42 Spring) with a standard buffer damage to the rifle or receiver extension will occur.

I also asked if the tungsten weights would work in a milspec carbine buffer. The reply:

The weights should not be an issue with mil-spec buffers.

Liberal_Strong
7 June 2016, 18:12
wow a braided buffer spring. that ive never seen or heard.

i also cant wait on the official announcement of the lantac ABS. i saw that and geissele's system yesterday on IG!

mustangfreek
8 June 2016, 01:08
Interesting ...curious on some feedback I need to play with /tune a rifle or 2 and buying multiple buffers adds up to about the same price...

Humm...

JGifford
13 June 2016, 20:26
I ordered this, and am curious how it compares to a Sprinco Blue and H buffer. I also ordered the second tungsten weight to play with, as well. I am a fan of lighter buffers and heavier springs, personally, although some others would disagree.

Aragorn
13 June 2016, 20:32
I am a fan of lighter buffers and heavier springs, personally, although some others would disagree.

For the sake of reducing reciprocating mass? Or some other reason?

JGifford
13 June 2016, 20:45
For the sake of reducing reciprocating mass? Or some other reason?

I have found that even with a 5+oz buffer, when using mil-spec springs, the top round in a mag won't always strip fully and chamber. This is with a Noveske and a Daniel Defense complete rifle, using both rifle (A5) and carbine (H buffer,) springs, Colt mil-spec, new springs used.

Replacing with more spring tension fixed the problem in BOTH cases. The buffer's mass does not have the speed/momentum when released from lock-back to accomplish what the stouter spring does. I found improved reliability as such across the board with a lighter buffer and heavier spring.

The second reason is that when I increase buffer weights, the mass of the buffer flying back actually increases felt recoil, both to me, and random 3'rd party "Hey bro, shoot this rifle on both lowers..." people. I also notice more "muzzle dip" on return to battery. The worst offender was the carbine RE with H3 buffer. The Vltor A5 wasn't so bad with any weights about dip, but recoil did increase.

These are my reasons, as tested by me over about 5,000 rounds through various weapons. YMMV, and certainly opinions will differ.

SINNER
14 June 2016, 05:07
I have found that even with a 5+oz buffer, when using mil-spec springs, the top round in a mag won't always strip fully and chamber. This is with a Noveske and a Daniel Defense complete rifle, using both rifle (A5) and carbine (H buffer,) springs, Colt mil-spec, new springs used.

Replacing with more spring tension fixed the problem in BOTH cases. The buffer's mass does not have the speed/momentum when released from lock-back to accomplish what the stouter spring does. I found improved reliability as such across the board with a lighter buffer and heavier spring.

The second reason is that when I increase buffer weights, the mass of the buffer flying back actually increases felt recoil, both to me, and random 3'rd party "Hey bro, shoot this rifle on both lowers..." people. I also notice more "muzzle dip" on return to battery. The worst offender was the carbine RE with H3 buffer. The Vltor A5 wasn't so bad with any weights about dip, but recoil did increase.

These are my reasons, as tested by me over about 5,000 rounds through various weapons. YMMV, and certainly opinions will differ.

I agree 100%. The "cure" of throwing a heavier buffer in every rifle with so called issues usually results in causing more problems than it cures. One of these days I'm going to try the ultralight plastic buffer set up. I think it has potential if the spring rate can be increased enough.

DutchTerror
14 June 2016, 10:37
I just ordered one as well, so I'll give it a test. Probably not a necessity, but I needed to order a H2 buffer and spring for an upcoming build anyway.

Joelski
14 June 2016, 14:51
I think a progressive spring rate would do worlds for all this fiddle-farting some rifles need d/t overgassing issues and such. Not sure why it hasn't been tried, but this is a good step in that direction.

SwissyJim
14 June 2016, 17:43
Just got back from the range and playing with it. It does take a lot (not all) of the TWANG out, and is stiffer than standard carbine spring. I needed one extra setting opened on my gas block once it was installed. But, it ran good, stripped next rounds reliably, locked back when empty and all that jazz. Worth the price of admission? Your call... for me, it'll stay in as it did reduce the twang, and with my LAW folder I cannot use a silent capture spring so this may be the next best thing.

DutchTerror
14 June 2016, 18:10
Thanks for the update, Jim! What rifle setup are you testing this on? Standard H buffer weight?

JGifford
14 June 2016, 18:36
I agree 100%. The "cure" of throwing a heavier buffer in every rifle with so called issues usually results in causing more problems than it cures. One of these days I'm going to try the ultralight plastic buffer set up. I think it has potential if the spring rate can be increased enough.

Just be careful. The other end of the spectrum is out running the magazine's ability to present a round properly before the bcg returns. More spring and less buffer increases cyclic rate especially on the return to battery.

SwissyJim
14 June 2016, 21:28
Thanks for the update, Jim! What rifle setup are you testing this on? Standard H buffer weight?

Sorry, yes I only got the base, standard H buffer. Had no issues, feeding problems nor the like. Running on my Umbrella 5.56 SBR with a Umberlla BCG, LAW folder and generic PMC ammo

DutchTerror
15 June 2016, 04:14
Sorry, yes I only got the base, standard H buffer. Had no issues, feeding problems nor the like. Running on my Umbrella 5.56 SBR with a Umberlla BCG, LAW folder and generic PMC ammo

Thanks for the details! I know we're kinda cross-posting between here and mail call, but I'm looking forward to more results! Can't wait to get mine and try it out, though it will be going in a mid-length gas system.

Duffy
21 June 2016, 09:13
We have them in stock, with extra tungsten weight options. Please email me for a WEVO discount code, these things are not cheap (especially the extra tungsten weights) [BD]

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/AR-Lower-Parts_c_17.html

fledge
21 June 2016, 09:31
I installed mine last night. I don't like how the weight rattles inside the H1 buffer assembly. Anyone else have that issue?

Maybe all H1 buffers are that way. I've only used H2s in milspec carbine and A5 and have never had the rattle.

BoilerUp
21 June 2016, 17:16
I installed mine last night. I don't like how the weight rattles inside the H1 buffer assembly. Anyone else have that issue?

Maybe all H1 buffers are that way. I've only used H2s in milspec carbine and A5 and have never had the rattle.

I think this is why the Spikes T2 is popular. It uses a powder for the weight so it is quiet and also, I think, serves to dampen the vibration. I just bought one recently to play around with, especially for my 6.8, but haven't been to the range with it yet.

fledge
21 June 2016, 19:29
None of my other buffers do this which is why I'm not sure why spikes would be a solution to this issue.

I haven't test fired it yet but gently shaking the buffer makes it rattle like a marble in a tube.

I'm going to take it apart and see if there's an easy fix.

mustangfreek
22 June 2016, 02:53
Humm was seriously considering trying this out in a certain rifle but this makes me rethink..I'm OCD and hate little shit like this..lol

fledge
22 June 2016, 06:32
I don't know if other H1 buffers are the same but I compared this to my H2 buffers last night and they have a slight rattle when shaken side to side (which I hadn't noticed before). I just know that if I had this H1 buffer in a pack or in an HD scenario, it would be like having a keychain dangling on my hip. Around a lot of environmental noise, it is no concern. For a range gun, no big deal. For my purposes, I can't have it. I even avoid noisy sling mounts.

I'll be ordering an extra weight to install in this one.

Aberration79
22 June 2016, 07:10
Now we need a UHMWPE sleeve between the tube and the spring to get rid of the scraping sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk