PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of dumping 300 BO for 6.5

mustangfreek
12 June 2016, 01:35
As long a a road as its been getting into a blackout, reloading now and such, and with the idea of getting a can , just not gonna happen it looks like. Was gonna use the 300 to hunt etc as I use to and the oldest kid has shown some interest..

So always have wanted to get into the 6.5 game , most likely Grendel as no ar-10 sets here although I wish or I'd be looking at a creedmoor or 260 build..and no longer anyn30 cal rifles around so would be dumping all projectiles/dies/powder for it..

So Grendel guys what barrel,bolts , mags are people running and what ammo/loads/powder are you using/working for ya..Not after a bench fun do no long ass barrels but not sure if a 16" Grendel is worthy?

Still would be looking at using it hunting but also to get out and bang some steel at some distance etc...

BoilerUp
12 June 2016, 04:28
The 6.5 Grendel shines when you go with the longer barrels. If you don't want a long barrel, I'd suggest you consider the 6.8 SPCII. It performs very well out of 12.5-16" barrels. Plus, you can get military contract ammo, Federal 90 gr Gold Dot, which happens to be an excellent all around round, to include hunting.

Frankly, if I had gotten into 6.8 before 300 BLK, I doubt I ever would have bothered with the Blackout. I've avoided 6.5 in the AR15 platform simply because I also don't care for long barrels, but will seriously the Creedmore when I eventually get around to a large frame build.

I can make several recommendations regarding 6.8 if you decide to consider it, but will refrain for now since you came here to ask about the Grendel.

UWone77
12 June 2016, 11:24
If you're not going to SBR/Pistol your 300 or put a can on it, then yes, I would dump the platform.

I had one 6.5 Grendel Barrel, but gave it away, now I've stumbled into a 22" 6.5 UltraMatch SDM Creedmore Barrel, and plan to finish my Rainier Mod 3 set with that. Like Boilerup, I've generally shied away from longer barrels because I find that carbines generally fit my style and range of shooting.

Rodman24
12 June 2016, 11:54
I have a 20" Grendel (old Sabre Defense fluted stainless) that came with a matched bolt. I don't really shoot it much and once I shoot the ammo I have, I'm not likely to continue funding it. Unless you have a real need that you think it will fill, I wouldn't bother with it. It'll just suck up more of your shooting budget.

din
12 June 2016, 19:35
Just go over to http://65grendel.com and do a little research. Alexander Arms has a 16" bbl for a really good price right now, it's about the best deal going. Their bolts are good, so are the bolts from Mark at Precision Firearms. PF barrels are great too, but cost more and there's usually a significant wait time. Also Lilja and JP. Best luck with mags haa been the Elanders that Alexander sells, reports of mixed luck with C-products and ASG. I don't reload yet, but the Prvi 120 gr ammo can be found pretty cheap and has decent accuracy, and the factory Hornady stuff shoots great.

Stick to a barrel with a SAAMI chamber/avoid the various .264 whatever chambers. Alexander usually has decent prices on complete uppers if you don't feel like building.

16" bbl is fine, you don't need a really long barrel unless you're really stretching it out there, esp. if you're shooting at any kinf of elevation. High BC bullets just kind of keep going and going, you don't really have to push for high velocity.

Joelski
12 June 2016, 20:05
I'm still interested in an AR 10/SR-25 clone, but am becoming more and more interested in the 6.5 Creedmoor's reach. A friend is building one, has the necessary talent with custom loading and the linear ground to stretch it out. I can't wait to have a try with it.

mustangfreek
14 June 2016, 02:33
Good info and appreciated fellas..have thought about the 6.8 also but not sure what I want to do..
Not looking for a heavy , long barrel bench gun, that will someday come when I can get into a good bolt gun again...

Have lots of 308 anymo, projectiles and powder but still no platform to shoot it out of...[BD][bash]

Humm what to do,..

Joelski
14 June 2016, 05:04
Wait for contract 300. It'll come.

fledge
14 June 2016, 16:03
no ar-10 sets here although I wish.

Maybe you covered this elsewhere, but why not? Sounds like that's what you really would prefer. A mega or cmt set is cheaper than a Grendel upper to start out. And then slowly build it up.

I almost went the Grendel route and am jumping into the ar10 instead. I want common bolts and mags in both systems. And the ar10 offers a big game approach too beyond paper punching.

I don't reload but may some day.

mustangfreek
16 June 2016, 02:19
No funds for a big build right now..Too much going on..

But ya 6.5 creed or 260 is what I want.

din
16 June 2016, 17:43
Do what you want. As long as you have the receivers you can always experiment with different cartridges later. I went with 6.5 Creedmoor when I built my bolt gun, can't remember why I picked it over the 260 but I like it a lot. So here, have some more peer pressure.

Ordnance
18 June 2016, 09:38
If you do go large frame, I would do a 6.5 Creedmoor over a 260. The 260 just doesn't perform as reliably in an AR platform as the 6.5 CM because of pressure issues, and frankly you'll find the market will be more supportive of a 6.5 CM in parts and box ammo as it's progressing that direction. If you really want extreme performance, also look into the 6 CM, but it's more of barrel burner than the 6.5, and you may not need that much out of it. As far as barrel length, unless you're competing or planning on really doing a lot of LR, an 18-20" barrel will do just fine out to 1K.

mustangfreek
21 June 2016, 01:48
If you do go large frame, I would do a 6.5 Creedmoor over a 260. The 260 just doesn't perform as reliably in an AR platform as the 6.5 CM because of pressure issues, and frankly you'll find the market will be more supportive of a 6.5 CM in parts and box ammo as it's progressing that direction. If you really want extreme performance, also look into the 6 CM, but it's more of barrel burner than the 6.5, and you may not need that much out of it. As far as barrel length, unless you're competing or planning on really doing a lot of LR, an 18-20" barrel will do just fine out to 1K.

Thanks for the info, I know the 6.5creed is better, the 260 idea always came from the 6.5 bullets still being used, decent BC compared to the creed and being able to form 260 from 308 brass , which I have a good pile of..

I'm just sitting back waiting for my lotto ticket to magically become a winner so I can just buy one of everything and solve this problem..lol..[BD]

Btw are you playing with a 6.5 creed? If so details..pics...