PDA

View Full Version : Geissele Super 42 Spring/Buffer review

SwissyJim
17 June 2016, 22:34
So figured I better do this, even tho I'm not much of a reviewer. But, got a chance to play with the new spring and buffer combo from Geissele today and the results are favorable, at least to/for me. I've been on a quest to find a spring that would reduce the TWANG in my 5.56 SBR, altho a JP Silent Capture won't work as I want to keep the LAW Gen3M folder I have on it. So I have these:

Standard carbine spring - no idea on make/model. Results? TWANGTWANGTWANGTWANG!

a piano wire or silcone spring I got somewhere... Damage? KAK? Don't remember and too lazy to search old emails. Results? Twang Twang Twang

JP custom centerless ground polished spring. Results? twang twang

and the Geissele Super 42. Results? twang

And of course before I put the folder on, the JP Silent Capture. Result? (95% silence)

In all seriousness, the Super 42 has been the closest to a silent spring as I have found, so far. I'm done with spending $$$ chasing silence, and the best compliment I can give the Super 42 is it wins... it is staying in the rifle and the others are going away. I should also note that during the testing, the lower with the Super 42 installed was also used to fire 458Socom, both super and subs, and 300BLK subs with no issues. To anyone that has looked at the Super 42, you may have seen Geissele's disclaimer that the spring and buffer combo MAY not work with 300BLK subsonic rounds. Mine did, with my rifle setup, and work well it did. I did a few rounds testing, up to doing a full 30 round mag dump. (All my own subsonic loads, suppressed BTW). Not a single issue of any kind. But my 300BLK SBR does not have the folder and DOES have a Silent Capture setup.

Anyways... magical innovation? no, it's a spring and buffer. worth the cost? Maybe not. But, of the springs I have tried that supposedly reduce the twang, this is the one that ACTUALLY does other than the SCS from JP- and it costs far more still.

JGifford
18 June 2016, 03:06
I got mine, too. Dislike music wire. It looks like it's corroded. Meh. I will shoot it and see, but I have a feeling I'll put my sprinco back in.

Deadwing
22 June 2016, 01:44
Nice review, Jim. Thanks for sharing the results!

mustangfreek
22 June 2016, 02:39
Nice job Jim!!

Most of mine twang but the 14.5" I received not long ago seems to really be noisy, and jumpy compared to others..Looking at something to take it down and jp is too much for me, but maybe this is a good alternative..

DutchTerror
22 June 2016, 09:36
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and data points, Jim! I got mine in the other day. I'm planning on running it in a new build with a 17.7" BA barrel, mid-length gas. Still waiting on parts though...

cjd3
8 November 2016, 13:49
I just got mine for my rifle that never had an H buffer, and I forgot that it was there. Super happy about it. I'd say I'm super happy about 42 times.

Joelski
8 November 2016, 14:10
It's confined to the tube, who cares what ti looks like if it works?

Jim: Are you saying you replaced the JP spring in the silent captured dealie with the Super 42 spring? This sounds like the plan for my Blackout as well.