PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing School

zero7one
12 March 2009, 06:25
I am considering taking a gunsmithing course. Since I have a full-time job, going to a in-house school is not really practical. I was looking that the Sonoran Desert Institute for their School of Gunsmithing.

http://www.sdi.edu/gunsmithing.html

They accept the Montgomery GI Bill, so the course would be paid for.

Here is an excerpt from their web page:

School of Gunsmithing

The Sonoran Desert Institute’s 36 semester-credit* course in Gunsmithing is the most complete training program of its kind. No other school gives you the quantity and quality of professional Gunsmithing tools.

You can learn Gunsmithing at home, and at your own pace, without interrupting your current work schedule. Everything you need is included from step-by-step lesson instruction to top-quality Gunsmithing tools. In a surprisingly short time, you can actually start collecting cash for your services...even while you’re still completing the program! Hobbyists and competitive shooters alike will spend top dollar for a professional gunsmith’s know-how.

Successful completion of the program results in the award of the Sonoran Desert Institute diploma, identifying you as a highly-qualified professional gunsmith, trained by today’s best, most complete Gunsmithing School.

In addition to lessons, training manuals, and other learning aids, your course includes a fully-stocked gun cleaning kit, screwdriver set, brass Gunsmithing hammer, drift punches, rifle stock blank, pull and drop gauge, checkering tools and template, trigger pull gauge, needle files and honing stone, sling swivel installation jig, bore sighter, electric Moto-Tool®, wholesale Gunsmithing catalogs, and the educator-acclaimed Sonoran Desert Institute Achievement Kit containing all the special items you need to get your training off to a smooth, fast start.

Tuition and Fees:

The total program cost is $1,198, plus a shipping and handling fee. Tuition covers all course materials, lab kits and tools listed. There is a simple “no interest” payment plan available as well. Simply register on line, or download and print the enrollment agreement and mail or fax it to our admissions office.

Veterans’ Benefit Forms:

Eligible veterans may obtain the appropriate forms here. If you have questions, please contact the SDI admissions Office, or download the SDI Veterans’ Bulletin.

*As determined by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.

Does anyone have any experience with this school or something similar?

Thanks.

SHIHAN
12 March 2009, 18:31
Kniowledge is power just make sure you want to use your GI BIll money for it. If so I have heard decent things about them.

zero7one
12 March 2009, 19:49
Thanks.

John Hwang
12 March 2009, 21:28
Sounds very affordable. I should get one of my staff to take the course.

Army Chief
13 March 2009, 00:15
I'm spending more than that for one (1) graduate school class these days, so I would definitely consider this money well spent if the program is reputable.

AC

zero7one
13 March 2009, 11:10
I'm going to go through with it. Worst case scenario is that I go away from the course with new gunsmithing tools. Thanks for everyone's imput.