PDA

View Full Version : Powder Discussion

alamo5000
21 June 2016, 12:09
As soon as I start back to work again (IE steady income) the first thing I am going to do is stock up on reloading supplies.

Since I have been somewhat out of the loop for 6 months I am not sure of the availability of things, but I plan to spend a thousand to $1,500 bucks to keep me in the supplies for a while. Maybe more than that depending on what I find.

Of course I reload pistols and other things but I am looking for something more specific for a specific type of load.

What I am looking for is a ball powder that is cheap and good for my SBR loads. I plan to buy a few #8 jugs of whatever I buy as well as probably 8000 75 grain projectiles and primers. I have to figure out how much of each so that it will be pretty even amounts.

I am thinking 75 gr Hornaday bullets because #1 it's cheaper than 77 grain Nosler but still is good on the terminal front (it's on the approved list)... so if I get out shooting pigs with my SBR it could be better than just a 55gr plinker. I just have a thing for heavier rounds. I am up in the air on that still but the main thing is to have a single load that I like and then I can go into mass production. Part of the reason it has to be ball powder is because the machines I will use can churn out pretty consistent loads with it. Plus extreme accuracy is not the primary concern here.

Lately I have been using up an old bottle of BLC-2 that was given to me and that works out great but I am wondering about other options out there.

So far BLC-2 has been alright. But I am also considering H335 or anything else anyone can recommend. I have tried Winchester 748 but they don't have a load listed for 75 grain or 77 grain bullets with it.

And while we are at it, I am getting pretty damn sick of Varget. I still have a bunch of it (probably 5 pounds) but that stuff is NEVER in stock. I am considering buying a few kegs of RE15 if I can find those.... but both of those are extruded (stick) powder and they pretty much suck on a powder measure. If I can find a ball powder that can replace Varget I would be killing two birds with one stone.

Of course I am going to use up that varget that I have eventually but if I can find a good ball powder then I can get 2 or 3 times the amount of reloading done without losing much accuracy. For that rifle I am very particular... 24.3 grains of varget and a 69 grain SMK but I am willing and open to try other things.

If I can find one ball powder that can do it all I will just buy 4 or 5 #8 jugs and be done with it for a while.

Former11B
21 June 2016, 12:48
CFE 223. I don't use any other spherical powder. I've also shot 55gr Hornady FMJs, 64gr Winchester Power Points and 75gr Hornady BTHPs with it. I can look up my notes when I get home and re-post on here.

What kind of powder measure do you have? RE15 flows through my Chargemaster very well.

alamo5000
21 June 2016, 13:27
CFE 223. I don't use any other spherical powder. I've also shot 55gr Hornady FMJs, 64gr Winchester Power Points and 75gr Hornady BTHPs with it. I can look up my notes when I get home and re-post on here.

What kind of powder measure do you have? RE15 flows through my Chargemaster very well.

I am doing it old school (for now) so I use an RCBS Uniflow.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1458295370/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure

For my super accurate load stuff I basically tried a bunch of various stuff and really I just get back to doing it by hand when I am using varget.

I am open to trying other things but if I can get something that is quicker but still accurate I am good to go. Just manually doing it if I get at it I can do a couple hundred rounds in an evening (Once the brass is ready)...

On the other hand with that BLC-2 (or the Winchester) and that RCBS I can churn out rounds pretty good with that with not as much effort. The productivity goes way up... but then again I am not trying to make sub moa ammo either.

mustangfreek
22 June 2016, 02:30
My favorite powder for plinking loads and meters like water is AA 2230..about out and have not seen any for years..

Next on my usual list is H335 good stuff and meters great also

Have a few pounds of Tac to play with and after some test loads , again meters great and shows potential

Other powders I've used and have to try. Varget xbr8208,AA2520.Varget works great but meters for crap thru my hornady powder thrower..

DutchTerror
22 June 2016, 09:44
I use a lot of H335 for my "plinker" rounds, a 55gr Hornady SP. It meters very well and doesn't seem to be too temperature sensitive. I don't think I have a load developed for the 75gr Hornady BTHP and the H335 though. I mostly use H4895 with the 75gr for accuracy loads, but that's a stick powder so you know it meters poorly... I have heard that the new Lee Auto-Drum powder measure does pretty well with stick powders. I have one, but haven't tried it out yet.

alamo5000
22 June 2016, 09:56
I have heard that the new Lee Auto-Drum powder measure does pretty well with stick powders. I have one, but haven't tried it out yet.

Try it out and report back. Seriously. It could solve a whole lot of headaches. Then whatever powder it is it can be worked with a lot easier.

DutchTerror
22 June 2016, 10:35
Most of my reloading takes place in the colder months, so I don't have any immediate plans to put it to use. There are a couple of videos on Youtube where they are using extruded powders with good accuracy of powder throw. Here's one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHFonzr7rc

For $36 it's worth a shot anyway...

DeviantLogic
22 June 2016, 10:43
RE15 is going to be almost the same as Varget. The RCBS chargemasters are totally worth it ;)

Former11B
22 June 2016, 12:57
RE15 is going to be almost the same as Varget. The RCBS chargemasters are totally worth it ;)

Yyyyyyep! Very convenient and I primarily use stick powders (RE15, RE10x)

The only issues I ever have come from user error...like bumping the table while it's pouring or tapping the downspout with the powder dish or something.

Former11B
22 June 2016, 20:33
Finally had a minute to check my CFE 223 notes. Properly worked up, this powder is capable of some pretty good velocities. I will specify by each load what rifle(s) I have used it in.

55gr FMJ
26.5gr CFE 223
2.245" OAL
CCI #400 SRP
Used in 10.5", 16", and 18" ARs. Both of these charges shot well, and obviously the greater charge could be used by those chasing accuracy AND velocity. Max load is 27.8gr but work up to 27.3gr. 26.5gr was on par with 27.3gr accuracy wise, it was just softer shooting, uses less powder (when shooting 1000s of rounds it adds up) and still functioned flawlessly

64gr Winchester Power Point
26.0gr CFE 223
2.250" OAL
CCI #400 SRP
I used this load to kill a deer two seasons ago. Scored a headshot at 150 yards from a 16" suppressed AR (my Black and Tan build). Have also run this out of a 24" 1:9 bolt action, shooting right at 1" @ 100yds

75gr Hornady BTHP
24.6gr CFE 223
2.260" OAL
CCI #400 SRP
This is near max so watch for pressure signs. This was also shooting juuuuuust under 1" @ 100yds,and moving in the high 2600fps range (2660-80)

Haven't tried 77gr pills and probably won't, but I think I'd probably settle in the 24.0-24.2gr ballpark.

Let me know if you have any questions

alamo5000
25 June 2016, 21:01
75gr Hornady BTHP
24.6gr CFE 223
2.260" OAL
CCI #400 SRP
This is near max so watch for pressure signs. This was also shooting juuuuuust under 1" @ 100yds,and moving in the high 2600fps range (2660-80)

Let me know if you have any questions

I would be curious to know your velocities out of a 10.5 with that 75gr load.

Former11B
26 June 2016, 11:12
I would be curious to know your velocities out of a 10.5 with that 75gr load.

I read a thread on ARFCOM a while back, a guy tested his load of 25.5gr CFE223 and a 75gr Hornady BTHP from a 16" and 10.5" AR. NOTE: this wasn't loaded for accuracy. He achieved an average of 2750fps with the 16" barrel and 2470fps with the 10.5" barrel. With 24.6gr, you can probably expect high 2300fps, maybe 2400fps. With testing, you can go hotter but I'd take accuracy over 100fps in velocity. I think my hottest load I tested was 26.0gr and I saw no pressure signs. Could have probably gone a little higher but didn't need to. Could be another accuracy node waiting up there.... Just test safely and wear eye pro

For comparison, MK262 ammo meters on average about 2350fps from a 10.5" barrel.

alamo5000
26 June 2016, 14:06
I think I just need to pick something and go with it... on the AR powder I am thinking I will go with the CFE 223 and just get 2x #8 jugs. I plan to buy a case of 4000 of the Hornaday 75gr for my SBR load. That seems to be a pretty good overall performer for a SBR bullet. I can get em for about 16 cents delivered.

On that particular load I am not overly concerned with sub moa performance. Once I get it though I might try to do an accuracy load with my other rifle and the 69gr bullets. If I can get pretty good 'sub moa' overall performance I might just make that my go to powder even if it's not technically 'as good' as Varget.

What I want to do though is also pick a good powder for 9mm subs. The universal clays seems to work pretty good. It's not too fast and not too slow just kind of in the middle somewhere. Plus you can use just such a little bit of it it lasts forever. I am kind of up in the air if I want to swap pistol powder or not. The Universal Clays seems like it's very versatile. I can do everything from .380 to .45ACP, kind of like a jack of all trades thing.

I could make all my subs 147gr or I could try to tune the load and buy a crap load of 124gr to get subsonic performance out of that. I am not sure of the pros and cons of that theory.

I'm about to spend some bucks to have shooting supplies for a while so I am kind of agonizing over what to get.

Former11B
26 June 2016, 15:53
I use Titegroup for .380, 9mm (subsonic and supersonic), and .45. It meters well, shoots clean enough, and you can push a wide variety of bullets at a range of velocities.

alamo5000
26 June 2016, 16:50
OK I bit the bullet and put in an order. 2X 8# jugs of CFE223 2x 1#jugs of titegroup, 5000 small rifle primers and 5000 small pistol primers... (this will give me about 10,000 primers of each)

Next stop I will buy some bullets....I might have to wait on that though until I get more cash rolling in.

I figure if this election goes nutso I might be in stock for at least a while.

I will buy enough bullets when I do to keep me in stock for those as well...I will need to figure out which pistol and rifle bullets to get... odds are I will just buy a case of 75gr Hornadays.... and then figure out which pistol bullets I want to go with...

Former11B
26 June 2016, 19:24
Wanting to shoot suppressed subs mostly in 9mm?

I like Xtreme plated 147 RN ($43.75/500ct) and I also shoot some of their 124gr plated HPs ($46.48/500ct).

They do have some 135gr and 165gr bullets I want to try though. The 135s might be a good all around bullet and I wonder how quiet the 165s could get...

alamo5000
26 June 2016, 20:47
Wanting to shoot suppressed subs mostly in 9mm?

I like Xtreme plated 147 RN ($43.75/500ct) and I also shoot some of their 124gr plated HPs ($46.48/500ct).

They do have some 135gr and 165gr bullets I want to try though. The 135s might be a good all around bullet and I wonder how quiet the 165s could get...

So far the Xtreme bullets are all I have ever used for pistols. I am going to have to decide if I want to get ALL 147gr or get some 124s or 115s or what mix of what to get.

I still have quite a few 147gr bullets (about 800 of them) but I want to get a lot more, and in some other guns it doesn't work as well shooting 147's. I might buy a few boxes of 124gr so my plinkers are the same as my carry

Then I have to worry about 380 and .45...

Same thing for the SBR rounds... I think I will get 75gr Hornaday because they are cheap and effective. Then again I might buy some 55gr plinkers... I am just not sure. I will have enough powder to make 4400 rounds of the 75gr if I go entirely that route... hell I don't know... I might mix and match...

The whole thing is giving me a headache... I am kind of tapped out for now though so I have a little while to think it over.

Former11B
27 June 2016, 03:12
So far the Xtreme bullets are all I have ever used for pistols. I am going to have to decide if I want to get ALL 147gr or get some 124s or 115s or what mix of what to get.

I still have quite a few 147gr bullets (about 800 of them) but I want to get a lot more, and in some other guns it doesn't work as well shooting 147's. I might buy a few boxes of 124gr so my plinkers are the same as my carry

Then I have to worry about 380 and .45...

Same thing for the SBR rounds... I think I will get 75gr Hornaday because they are cheap and effective. Then again I might buy some 55gr plinkers... I am just not sure. I will have enough powder to make 4400 rounds of the 75gr if I go entirely that route... hell I don't know... I might mix and match...

The whole thing is giving me a headache... I am kind of tapped out for now though so I have a little while to think it over.

For 9mm, I'd get some 124s in addition to 147gr, but probably forget about 115s all together.

.380 is easy: 100gr RN.

.45 is up to you but shooting 1911s, I stick with 230gr RN

alamo5000
27 June 2016, 07:27
For 9mm, I'd get some 124s in addition to 147gr, but probably forget about 115s all together.

.380 is easy: 100gr RN.

.45 is up to you but shooting 1911s, I stick with 230gr RN

On the .380 I got to looking around and I have 1000 rounds already loaded and ready to go! I also have another 1000 bullets. Well that should keep me in the good for a while with that one since I don't shoot it a whole ton.

As for the 9mm and 45ACP...I think you are on the right track. I just need to sort out how much I can afford to get. I might get like 2 or 3 thousand of each. Not sure yet. But if I just go ahead and get em sooner rather than later I just won't have to worry about it later on.

Former11B
27 June 2016, 10:16
On the .380 I got to looking around and I have 1000 rounds already loaded and ready to go! I also have another 1000 bullets. Well that should keep me in the good for a while with that one since I don't shoot it a whole ton.

As for the 9mm and 45ACP...I think you are on the right track. I just need to sort out how much I can afford to get. I might get like 2 or 3 thousand of each. Not sure yet. But if I just go ahead and get em sooner rather than later I just won't have to worry about it later on.

MMMMMMM.... you say that.... I "stock up" but only find myself thinking it's still not enough.

alamo5000
27 June 2016, 10:54
MMMMMMM.... you say that.... I "stock up" but only find myself thinking it's still not enough.

That's true. No doubt. [BD]

I guess in a way I am just trying to come up with a method to the madness. Somebody could have 200 guns but if they have no ammo then what?

I am more tempted than anyone to buy all kinds of guns and a few more silencers and all that...but at the end of the day I want to have a good staple of the fundamentals and essentials for what I already have. After I get that somewhat satisfactory it's all topping up and maintenance from there.

I have so much stuff that I want and need to buy. I need a case prep station ,more brass, I would like to get a more advanced setup where I can do a few hundred rounds per hour (or more)... I also want to buy some spare barrels and a couple extra BCGs...

I am kind of focusing on that area right now. Man I would just love to have all those different calibers but keeping in stock with all that stuff is crazy.

Depending on how the money flows if I spend a couple hundred a month buying supplies then I can be GTG for a while at least.

Later on I still want to add a rifle caliber or two, but at the end of the day it's all about the $100 bills and how many I can get.

Former11B
27 June 2016, 11:29
That's true. No doubt. [BD]

I guess in a way I am just trying to come up with a method to the madness. Somebody could have 200 guns but if they have no ammo then what?

I am more tempted than anyone to buy all kinds of guns and a few more silencers and all that...but at the end of the day I want to have a good staple of the fundamentals and essentials for what I already have. After I get that somewhat satisfactory it's all topping up and maintenance from there.

I have so much stuff that I want and need to buy. I need a case prep station ,more brass, I would like to get a more advanced setup where I can do a few hundred rounds per hour (or more)... I also want to buy some spare barrels and a couple extra BCGs...

I am kind of focusing on that area right now. Man I would just love to have all those different calibers but keeping in stock with all that stuff is crazy.

Depending on how the money flows if I spend a couple hundred a month buying supplies then I can be GTG for a while at least.

Later on I still want to add a rifle caliber or two, but at the end of the day it's all about the $100 bills and how many I can get.

If I could do it all over again from scratch, I definitely have similar advice to my younger self. Quality vs quanity, laying in supplies instead of entire guns. I'd have probably a 1/3 of the amount of firearms I do now, but I'd have waaaaaay more supplies and probably a few extra suppressors. Problem is...a few of the guns I have that would not be in my safe right now I received as "gifts", and selling them would insult the gift-giver with whom I share a bed. So...tell me how that would work out.

alamo5000
30 June 2016, 17:44
Well even though it's gonna hurt the wallet at a sensitive time (financially) I went ahead and did it. I have enough stuff to reload at least 4000 rounds of 75gr Hornaday bullets for my SBR and at least enough for around 2000 or 2500 match rounds (or more) for my other AR.

That's not including what I have right now for plinker rounds.

For my pistols all I really have left is to buy some more bullets. I will stock up on 124 grain bullets and 147 grain bullets... but when and how much of each is TBD. I will probably get at least 2000 or 3000 of each.

I need to get me some 230gr .45 bullets as well.

I might get more brass as well.

Considering how much I actually shoot it should keep me busy for a while. I think it's kind of weird... I can go out in the back yard and shoot and one would think I would go out and shoot thousands and thousands of rounds.... but in all actuality I really don't do that.

Given if I was with a group of people and we were having fun that's different. But just wasting ammo to make noise... I tend to try and practice more effectively on a regular basis (when I can do so).

mustangfreek
2 July 2016, 01:25
You can't never have enough powder/primers/boolits..

Monmouth has a killer deal on hornady 55 gr right now , $398 for a case of 6k, lowest I've ever seen and Midsouh has lots of powders in stock..

11b have any chrono numbers on cfe using 55grs or the 75's? Curious what your getting out of a 16" barrel with cfe

Former11B
2 July 2016, 14:59
55gr FMJ at 27gr runs about 2850fps from a 16" barrel

75gr BTHP at 25.0gr (work your loads up!) will be right around 2600fps from a 16" barrel. Pretty confident you can run this a little hotter...25.5gr should put you close to if not at 2700fps

mustangfreek
4 July 2016, 01:52
Thanks for the info, I would try some but it's the most expensive powder around besides Rl-15 , that is for good 223 powders

alamo5000
4 July 2016, 06:41
Thanks for the info, I would try some but it's the most expensive powder around besides Rl-15 , that is for good 223 powders

Where are you shopping at? I shopped all over and it's not that bad (relatively speaking). It's more than $2 a pound cheaper than RE15 where I got my stuff.

Former11B
4 July 2016, 08:18
VV powders are the most expensive I've seen.

CFE is usually in the $25/lb range and RE15 is around $28/lb here (when bought by the pound...8lb jugs are less per pound)

alamo5000
4 July 2016, 08:50
VV powders are the most expensive I've seen.

CFE is usually in the $25/lb range and RE15 is around $28/lb here (when bought by the pound...8lb jugs are less per pound)

If you buy in bigger amounts buy from Powder Valley. With shipping and hazmat and everything mine worked out to be about $20 a pound or a little less to the door for CFE.

Former11B
4 July 2016, 17:14
I usually buy locally in cash, and my local reloading supply only has 1 pounders of RE15. Only seen 8lb jugs of XBR, 4064, and other powders I don't use.

Unrelated: midway has 77gr TMKs on sale for $28/100. The 100ct packs are cheaper than the 500ct boxes right now

DeviantLogic
4 July 2016, 20:26
Alliant makes 5lb jugs of RE15, but I've never seen them in stock anywhere.

Hazmat fees are a pain in the ass. For 1-2lbs of powder I usually buy locally. If I want to buy powder online I usually start calling up friends to see if they want anything so we can split the cost of shipping/hazmat.

Unrelated: midway has 77gr TMKs on sale for $28/100. The 100ct packs are cheaper than the 500ct boxes right now

Got 1,000 77gr TMK ready for loading. Not very comfortable with compressed loads, so I picked up some TAC to load 'em up with. Will post up load data after I've been able to test everything out.

alamo5000
4 July 2016, 20:55
I usually buy locally in cash, and my local reloading supply only has 1 pounders of RE15. Only seen 8lb jugs of XBR, 4064, and other powders I don't use.

Finding RE15 or Varget in 5 or 8 pound jugs is impossible.

On a side note... check here for bullets. I've found this guy to be extremely good on prices.

http://www.okweber.com/sierra-bullets/rifle-bullets/22-caliber?page=2

$26 for 100 bullets. $127 for 500 bullets. If you buy 5 boxes of the 500's you get the best bang for your buck. Shipping is flat $9.95 or $13.95 depending on how much stuff you buy. He uses those flat rate boxes and it works great.

alamo5000
4 July 2016, 21:04
Hazmat fees are a pain in the ass. For 1-2lbs of powder I usually buy locally.

This is absolutely true. If you buy enough powder at once to make it worth it then no problem. I ordered more than enough to offset the cost... 16 pounds of rifle powder 2 pounds of pistol powder and 10,000 primers....

With shipping and everything it wound up being like $1 per pound more on the powder....Figure up roughly $20 per pound in my hand for rifle powder.... but if I buy it local it's about $28 or $29 bucks a pound once you factor in tax. For an 8 or 9 dollar a pound discount it's worth it to buy in bulk.

Former11B
5 July 2016, 05:20
Alliant makes 5lb jugs of RE15, but I've never seen them in stock anywhere.

Hazmat fees are a pain in the ass. For 1-2lbs of powder I usually buy locally. If I want to buy powder online I usually start calling up friends to see if they want anything so we can split the cost of shipping/hazmat.

Got 1,000 77gr TMK ready for loading. Not very comfortable with compressed loads, so I picked up some TAC to load 'em up with. Will post up load data after I've been able to test everything out.

I never loaded a compressed load til I started playing with TMKs. In PMags, I can run them a little long (2.264") and I worked up to my load....23.6gr RE15 with BR4 primers. No signs of pressure whatsoever. And that's shooting when its 90+ degrees out.

Alamo: thanks for the link. I'll have to get them there in the future. I got a few boxes from Midway because I had another order there anyways so shipping evened out.