PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on pistol suppressors

alamo5000
23 June 2016, 19:42
I picked up my GA revolution 9 today and naturally I sped home to try that sucker out [:D]

I will post up more later on but with subs that thing is QUIET AS HELL!

My question though is although it's not bad but every now and again I get a little 'dust' in the face. I've shot other pistol suppressors before (long time ago) and that one was WAAAAY worse about blasting you in the face with stuff.

I am just curious though as to the dynamics of it. What is it and what causes it?

Dstrbdmedic167
23 June 2016, 19:56
I mean this in the funniest way possible.. Shoot it and enjoy.... wipe the gunk of your face and keep going... [BD]

http://i.giphy.com/M2TV62ihjVTGM.gif

alamo5000
23 June 2016, 20:14
I mean this in the funniest way possible.. Shoot it and enjoy.... wipe the gunk of your face and keep going... [BD]

http://i.giphy.com/M2TV62ihjVTGM.gif

I am asking more in terms of eye protection. I don't always shoot with glasses on, but I might have to start...

Former11B
23 June 2016, 20:20
What ammo are you using?

And getting some blowback is totally normal. Depending on the ammo, it can be unnoticeable or it can be miserable. My handloads are very clean and Fiocchi 158gr FMJs are probably the best factory rounds I've tried. Speer Lawmans 147gr I've read makes for a bad time with a can.

I would also make a point to start shooting with ballistic glasses on. Even though they are small specks of whatever, they're moving fast. And if you ever have a catastrophic failure one day...save your eyes. It's too easy to wear some glasses to prevent something terrible from happening

DeviantLogic
23 June 2016, 20:22
I am asking more in terms of eye protection. I don't always shoot with glasses on, but I might have to start...

PSA - Wear eye pro.

alamo5000
23 June 2016, 20:30
I would also make a point to start shooting with ballistic glasses on. Even though they are small specks of whatever, they're moving fast. And if you ever have a catastrophic failure one day...save your eyes. It's too easy to wear some glasses to prevent something terrible from happening

PSA - Wear eye pro.

Country bumpkin alert! This has not always been my habit LOL! I will probably go invest in some decent shooting glasses.

alamo5000
23 June 2016, 21:51
What ammo are you using?

And getting some blowback is totally normal. Depending on the ammo, it can be unnoticeable or it can be miserable. My handloads are very clean and Fiocchi 158gr FMJs are probably the best factory rounds I've tried. Speer Lawmans 147gr I've read makes for a bad time with a can.

I tried two kinds of ammo. Some federal wal mart 9mm. I also had worked up a load for some hand loaded 147gr subs. Neither of them were horrible about getting blasted in the face but for sure I am going to get some comfortable eye glasses to wear. Whatever those little particles are I certainly wouldn't want one in the eye.

All it takes is just once...

Other than that I was just curious if that was 'back pressure' like in a rifle or what?

I did notice a couple of things... with my subs it cycles fine with no can. With the full configuration it works perfectly. With the K configuration that I tried it didn't lock the slide all the way back after the last round.

Just having a better understanding of the mechanics of things might help...but who knows. I am just glad my baby is out of jail.

Former11B
24 June 2016, 04:06
Was it not locking the slide back in the K mode while using handloads and factory ammo? Or just one of the two

alamo5000
24 June 2016, 04:56
Was it not locking the slide back in the K mode while using handloads and factory ammo? Or just one of the two

I can't remember. I will shoot some more and make sure it wasn't some kind of fluke.

Dstrbdmedic167
24 June 2016, 05:14

You know I'm just giving you a hard time man. Yes you need some type of eye pro when shooting, regardless of what you're shooting!

Try to use some factory 115gr and 147gr ammo on all configurations and then use you're loads to help rule you're ammo out as the problem. (which I doubt it is)

I don't have a K configurable can so I can't help but so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
24 June 2016, 05:33
You know I'm just giving you a hard time man. Yes you need some type of eye pro when shooting, regardless of what you're shooting!

Try to use some factory 115gr and 147gr ammo on all configurations and then use you're loads to help rule you're ammo out as the problem. (which I doubt it is)

I don't have a K configurable can so I can't help but so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure I just had a weak load and that it was a sub. I imagine it was just a one off. I was just all excited and stuff to shoot and I was just all giddy about it testing it out.

As far as eye protection goes I guess it's a good habit to get in. If I am shooting a rifle it's a pain.... they get in the way. If I am shooting skeet not as big a deal and I can see fast moving objects better. But if I am literally going to get splashed in the face all the time there is no way in hell I am going to risk it.

Speaking of that it reminded me of an episode of Two and Half Men... Charlie had the boy go get him a beer and just to be an asshole the kid shook the thing up the whole way back. So naturally when he popped the top it spewed all over his face. The maid then looked at him and said "It's all romantic until it happens to you now isn't it!"

Anyway I guess trading earplugs for eyewear is not a big deal. I just need to buy something comfortable to work with that won't break the bank.

EDIT: I do have some cheapy eyewear that I use if I ever go to a public range so I will use those in the mean time. (I went to a public range once in the past 18 months)

Joelski
24 June 2016, 08:37
I find this very analogous to the old saying "If you have a $10 head, it's fine to wear a $10 helmet." Your sight is priceless. Invest accordingly.

Former11B
24 June 2016, 10:13
I am pretty sure I just had a weak load and that it was a sub. I imagine it was just a one off. I was just all excited and stuff to shoot and I was just all giddy about it testing it out.

As far as eye protection goes I guess it's a good habit to get in. If I am shooting a rifle it's a pain.... they get in the way. If I am shooting skeet not as big a deal and I can see fast moving objects better. But if I am literally going to get splashed in the face all the time there is no way in hell I am going to risk it.

Speaking of that it reminded me of an episode of Two and Half Men... Charlie had the boy go get him a beer and just to be an asshole the kid shook the thing up the whole way back. So naturally when he popped the top it spewed all over his face. The maid then looked at him and said "It's all romantic until it happens to you now isn't it!"

Anyway I guess trading earplugs for eyewear is not a big deal. I just need to buy something comfortable to work with that won't break the bank.

EDIT: I do have some cheapy eyewear that I use if I ever go to a public range so I will use those in the mean time. (I went to a public range once in the past 18 months)

When you say "Cheap" eyewear, do they still have an ANSI Z.87 or Ballistic rating? If not, I would probably just avoid them. If something blows up in your face and shatters the lens, you're just adding to the crap flying into your eyes.

Back to the handloads/and suppressor:

I am not intricately familiar with the Griffin Revo and K configuration. When you adjust the suppressor into the smaller configuration, does it utilize the same booster spring? Just trying to make sure the spring rates are consistent to rule it out.

My money is on a load that is SLIGHTLY too weak. My Glock 19 would run fine with 3.3gr of Titegroup and 147s but would fail to lock back maybe 50% of the time with the can on, but when I bumped it up to 3.5gr suppressed, I never had the issue and it was just as quiet.

That, or you are unconsciously hitting the slide lock at random intervals. I had a friend get a new Springfield XD and he SWORE the gun was defective until I took a video of him doing it.

alamo5000
24 June 2016, 12:26
When you say "Cheap" eyewear, do they still have an ANSI Z.87 or Ballistic rating? If not, I would probably just avoid them. If something blows up in your face and shatters the lens, you're just adding to the crap flying into your eyes.

I bought em at a gun range and they are specifically designed for shooting so I would imagine so (but I am not 100% sure how to tell). That said that might be another good topic to bring up... what brands of eye wear are on the top of the list so I can pick something good. The ones I have I am sure will be fine to get me by, they just aren't built very good and are slightly uncomfortable because they pinch my head and ears a little bit.

Comfortable is a very good thing. It's high on my priority list [:D] Also they have glasses with clear lenses, yellow lenses, tinted lenses.... I mean all sorts of things. I can think of times when several types would be good to have but what to actually get I am not sure. It's like everything else... you can spend $500 bucks no problem I am sure. Yellow though? I don't get the deal with yellow? Why yellow lenses?

In all honesty I probably shouldn't be a dumbass about good eye wear. I am thinking a tinted pair would be good because they can be my sun glasses on bright days but a clear pair for indoors or going out at night, evening, or whatever.

Back to the handloads/and suppressor:

I am not intricately familiar with the Griffin Revo and K configuration. When you adjust the suppressor into the smaller configuration, does it utilize the same booster spring? Just trying to make sure the spring rates are consistent to rule it out.

My money is on a load that is SLIGHTLY too weak. My Glock 19 would run fine with 3.3gr of Titegroup and 147s but would fail to lock back maybe 50% of the time with the can on, but when I bumped it up to 3.5gr suppressed, I never had the issue and it was just as quiet.

That, or you are unconsciously hitting the slide lock at random intervals. I had a friend get a new Springfield XD and he SWORE the gun was defective until I took a video of him doing it.

The K configuration uses all the same parts. Everything is all the same. However with the Revolution series your main body tube can have a section about 1.5 inches long taken out of it by merely unscrewing it. Unscrew it, pop out a few baffles, insert a small spacer and put the piston back in and you're good to go.

The longer version is quieter because it has more volume and more baffles, but the shorter version has slightly better handling because you reduce the overall length of the can by about 1.5 inches.

I haven't owned it or shot it long enough to know which setup I prefer.

Honestly I am not overly concerned with it at all... in my opinion it was probably just a weak load.

Once I run out of this pistol powder I have now I might look into something a bit different. I have no idea if that would help or hurt or change anything. This is my very first time really getting and using a pistol suppressor so I don't know much.

Mine right now with the powder I use isn't bad at all. But if I can swap powders and get something that will help eliminate that splash in my face then why the hell not? At the end of the day it just boils down to knowing and understanding cause and effect and knowing what's going on etc etc... which was kind of the basis for the original question...

alamo5000
24 June 2016, 12:33
I find this very analogous to the old saying "If you have a $10 head, it's fine to wear a $10 helmet." Your sight is priceless. Invest accordingly.

Good point! LOL!!!

alamo5000
24 June 2016, 15:07
I let curiosity get the better of me so I stopped at the sporting goods store and tried on some shooting glasses. Man did I ever learn something.

Those yellow lenses are not bad at all!

Anyway just for safety's sake and for me not getting a frickin' headache from glasses squeezing my head I bought a couple pair that I know for sure are for shooting and meet the standards and all that.

They are a hell of a lot more comfortable than those cheap ones before and they don't hurt when I wear them. I will still be on the lookout for a better set that I can keep up with though.

Former11B
26 June 2016, 14:36
My protective eyewear is all made by Oakley. My day to day shades are from Oakley's US Standard Issue (for active/former .mil/ LEO) and have an ANSI spec rating but my good range glasses are Oakley Ballistic 2.0 M Frames. Can't recommend Oakley enough!