PDA

View Full Version : Affordable nitride BCG's

old11bravo
27 June 2016, 01:25
Beautifully nitrided finish, full auto profile, properly staked gas key and MPI bolt. With productucts like these bolt carrier groups, I wonder why this manufacturer, Arsenal Ordnance never "took off"?

http://i67.tinypic.com/9fwih1.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/2m6s4jp.jpg

BoilerUp
27 June 2016, 05:51
With productucts like these bolt carrier groups, I wonder why this manufacturer, Arsenal Ordnance never "took off"?

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with their marketing. I'm not sure they have any.

I've never heard of them and a Google search didn't seem to help.

UWone77
27 June 2016, 08:09
I'm guessing they're slapping their logos on someone else's carriers.... Which many others do. Coupled with a crappy logo and no marketing like Boiler mentioned. Case solved [:D]

mustangfreek
2 July 2016, 01:16
Never heard of them..

Myself am looking for a nitride bcg for a piece meal project I have been looking at for a while and gathering parts to finish

Joelski
2 July 2016, 04:38
I got my AXTS BCG from ROGTAC a while back for a hell of a good price. There's gotta be something pupping up somewhere for the weekend sale.

mustangfreek
4 July 2016, 02:25
Anyone seeing any deals on nitride/melonited bcgs on sale or good deal ?

JGifford
4 July 2016, 04:12
I got my AXTS BCG from ROGTAC a while back for a hell of a good price. There's gotta be something pupping up somewhere for the weekend sale.

As far as I know, AXTS=Fathom, minus a bit of extra QA/QC that Guy does, which I view as well worth it so I don't have to do it myself.

Joelski
4 July 2016, 05:18
He said he gets first crack from the supplier. I wouldn't imagine the AXTS is a lesser grade from what I've seen of it, but I'll be able to tell shortly when my Fathom BCG gets here.

JGifford
4 July 2016, 18:30
He said he gets first crack from the supplier. I wouldn't imagine the AXTS is a lesser grade from what I've seen of it, but I'll be able to tell shortly when my Fathom BCG gets here.

All of that supplier's BCG are made well. Honestly, I'd buy from who I liked. I don't know the fine people at axts. I know Guy. I'll buy from him. Ymmv, and there's no right or wrong. Give your money to the person of your choice, imo

Joelski
7 July 2016, 05:54
Got the AXTS bolt before Guy ran the spade gb. Now I have both I don't know Guy like you do, but he was great to do business with.

fledge
7 July 2016, 06:39
CMTs Nitride BCG is now available. Can't beat $109.

mustangfreek
9 July 2016, 03:46

Humm...that's a good looking bcg...

Must resist...

jbjh
10 July 2016, 20:34

Must resist...

I was unable to. I'll post pics when it shows up

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

alamo5000
10 July 2016, 21:49

Must resist...

Jimmy

I got one too. I just kept on thinking about it and wouldn't know when they would ever be in stock again so what the hell, I bought one.

I still want a Fathom but I will get one of those later on.

mustangfreek
11 July 2016, 03:43

Jimmy

Me either...screw it..the woman got a couple kittens and I grabbed a bcg....shhhhh...lol

voodoo_man
12 July 2016, 05:46
I'm guessing they're slapping their logos on someone else's carriers.... Which many others do. Coupled with a crappy logo and no marketing like Boiler mentioned. Case solved [:D]

Yep.

Marketing goes a loooonnnnggg way and most people just don't even understand that.

UWone77
13 July 2016, 13:57

I succumbed to you guys and peer pressure. Ordered a couple of CMT Nitride BCG's today. Might as well finish up some CMT uppers.

jbjh
13 July 2016, 14:15
Me either...screw it..the woman got a couple kittens and I grabbed a bcg....shhhhh...lol

Just do kitty litter duty for a few weeks - it'll even out!

Jimmy

mustangfreek
13 July 2016, 14:42
I succumbed to you guys and peer pressure. Ordered a couple of CMT Nitride BCG's today. Might as well finish up some CMT uppers.

We all knew you would...peer pressure works..lol

Just do kitty litter duty for a few weeks - it'll even out!
Jimmy

Lol...well ya that's already happening cause there shit stinks and I don't wanna smell it...lol...[crazy][BD]

fledge
13 July 2016, 15:16

It's a no-brainier. Even for the spares drawer.

alamo5000
13 July 2016, 15:55

I got mine today.

I got my Griffin one a few days back.

Both are pretty damn nice I have to admit.

I am trying to think of a reasonable way to test or compare the two....but I am glad I got both of them to be honest.

alamo5000
13 July 2016, 19:02
FWIW I did a quick glance at the three BCG's I have now.

1) RA Phosphate--- it has been extremely reliable so no complaints.
2) CMT Tactical---recieved today.
3) Griffin Armament---had it a few days already

Straight up on the RA you can feel and even see visible tool marks. If you run your finger down the side of the carrier you can feel a bit of texture.
CMT Tactical BCG is a lot smoother. There are almost no tool marks. It feels very slick.
Griffin Armament BCG is clearly the smoothest one of the bunch. That thing looks like it's been polished or something.

Just from the old scientific method of running my finger down the sides of the carriers I can tell a difference.

Whether or not that translates into anything else, I don't know.

What I would like to do though is put each one on a precise scale and see if there are any weight differences. Technically now that I think about it that could make a difference in how the gun runs if one is heavier or lighter than the other. I am curious so I might have to locate a good digital scale.

UWone77
14 July 2016, 16:26
If you guys are on the fence, or thinking about ordering more CMT Nitride BCG's, I just spoke to Jeff today. Intro Pricing ends on Sunday. $109 is hard to beat.

alamo5000
14 July 2016, 16:34
If you guys are on the fence, or thinking about ordering more CMT Nitride BCG's, I just spoke to Jeff today. Intro Pricing ends on Sunday. $109 is hard to beat.

I am extremely pleased with mine!

If it means anything I definitely can give it a thumbs up. If you're on the fence get one or two.

Joelski
14 July 2016, 21:39
Is anybody running the Fathom bolt carrier group in billet upper? If so, please pm me.

alamo5000
14 July 2016, 23:11
Is anybody running the Fathom bolt carrier group in billet upper? If so, please pm me.

When they get back in stock over at Fathom I will PM you then and let you know how they go. [:D]

Which Fathom by the way? Mil Spec or Enhanced?

Joelski
15 July 2016, 04:19
Enhanced. I want to compare notes.

UWone77
15 July 2016, 14:48
Awhile back, a few friends of mine who had Fathom Enhanced and/or other Enhanced carriers with similar profiles had some issues with the carrier binding in the receiver extension. This did not happen with milspec BCG's. I wish I paid attention to the details of the builds as they simply moved the carriers to other guns (which worked fine in them) I don't recall the configurations that made them not kosher though.

SINNER
15 July 2016, 18:46
CMT upper?

Joelski
15 July 2016, 21:20
CMT upper?

San Tan Billet

SINNER
15 July 2016, 23:10
Just curious. My CMT's were very tight at first to the point if you rode the charging handle in it would stop before the F/A would even catch. They broke in very quickly and feel perfect after 1st. use. I can try a Fathom enhanced in my San Tan tomorrow.

UWone77
16 July 2016, 00:43

SINNER
16 July 2016, 07:21
Just the photo or does that staking look different? Press points look narrow and crisp.

Should probably grab a few of these.

alamo5000
16 July 2016, 08:01
Just the photo or does that staking look different? Press points look narrow and crisp.

Should probably grab a few of these.

They are nice. Very nice. I am glad I jumped on it when I could.

alamo5000
16 July 2016, 08:51

Actually you got me to looking and I have questions about staking.

Does this look ok? The top left in particular.

JGifford
17 July 2016, 08:43
Actually you got me to looking and I have questions about staking.

Does this look ok? The top left in particular.

This staking is adequate to serve the purpose staking is intended to serve. Any other variation thereof, is simply aesthetic. What is NOT acceptable, is when staking is performed with an impact tool of any sort, whether or not this is in the TM, I am unsure, however, this is NOT how Colt stakes an M4 BCG.

This appears to have been properly done via compression, as best I can see. When an impact tool (hammer, chisel, whatever) is used, the shock and side-impact can snap the gas-key bolts, which are under tension as they are tightened to roughly 56 inch-pounds, which is honestly quite a good bit for a fastener the size of a gas-key screw, and is part of why the spec for them is so stringent. Regardless, side-impact/shock can and does break these, and you find out about it many rounds later, as the head of the bolt is held in place by the staking, sometimes.