PDA

View Full Version : My first foray into the world of .308

old11bravo
28 June 2016, 00:50
I actually built this rifle about a year ago. My first AR10. It was very educational and I've been tweaking and making adjustments on it all the while. I think I'm finally done tinkering with it now that I have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 mounted on it. I've been plinking with it but now it's time to get the glass zeroed and see what she can really do. Here is what I have.

MEGA MATEN 18” AR10 Marksman Rifle

Mega MKM Maten Extended Rifle Length Keymod Set
Mega .308 Billet Upper Receiver
Mega .308 Billet Ambi Lower Receiver
Mega Lightweight Extruded Keymod Handguard

Lower
Rainier Arms Buffer Tube Tube/Buffer and spring Assembly
Magpul ACS Mil-Spec Stock W/Limbsaver Butt Pad
Mega Branded Hogue Rubber Finger Grooved Pistol Grip
JP Lower Parts Kit Mil-Spec Minus Trigger Assembly
Geissele Hi-Speed National Match DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Trigger
Battle Arms Development Combat Ambi Safety Selector Switch
Battle Arms Development Enhanced Magazine Release
Norgon Ambi Bolt Catch/Release

Upper
Mega Arms .308 Charging Handle
Mega Arms .308 18” Mid Length .750 Gas Block Journal Barrel 1:10
Rainier Arms Ultra Match .308 Bolt Carrier Group
Syrac Ordnance .750 Set Screw Low Pro Adjustable Gas Block
SLR Synergy Comp 30 Cal 5/8x24 Thread
Lewis Machine Tool .308 Flip Up BUIS Set Front/Rear
Gear Sector Rail Mount QD Socket/Swivel Set
B&T Atlas Bipod Lever With ADM 170 Lever

Optics
Bobro Precision Optic Mount Extended 30mm Rings
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 30mm Tube FFP Illuminated EBR-1 MRAD Reticle
Aadmount Objective/Occular Lens Cap Covers and Throw Lever

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ptv3ww.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/30tryhy.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2n1f2c7.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/iep7i1.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2cervis.jpg

Army203
28 June 2016, 03:22
Looks great man!

Joelski
28 June 2016, 04:30
Nice!

Jerry R
28 June 2016, 06:05
Awesome looking rifle !

Quick question - I see a single LaRue rail clip designed to hold a pressure switch cable. Why?

UWone77
28 June 2016, 08:56
How's the eye relief?

Nice parts!

alamo5000
28 June 2016, 08:58
Looks like a very good build! Let us know how it shoots.

old11bravo
28 June 2016, 11:39
Awesome looking rifle !

Quick question - I see a single LaRue rail clip designed to hold a pressure switch cable. Why?

The Larue clips (there are two, one aft and one forward) are used to marked the location where my last QD scope mount and scope was mounted so that I would be able to re-mount it in the same location each time. I will need to adjust these once I find the proper eye relief for this scope.

How's the eye relief?

Nice parts!

It looked good last night inside the house but I'm going to re-check it today outside and make any adjustments. Then I'll use the Larue index clips to mark the location on the rail where the mount gets locked in.

DutchTerror
28 June 2016, 11:43
Great looking build! What kind of distance do you have to play with?

old11bravo
28 June 2016, 11:52
Great looking build! What kind of distance do you have to play with?

Currently only 200 meters at the local outdoor range. They have gongs set up at 220 but that doesn't really help me other than they sound cool when I hit them.

Jerry R
28 June 2016, 12:16
The Larue clips (there are two, one aft and one forward) are used to marked the location where my last QD scope mount and scope was mounted so that I would be able to re-mount it in the same location each time. I will need to adjust these once I find the proper eye relief for this scope.

Neat idea - I missed the one in back. Thanks.

old11bravo
28 June 2016, 13:16
Okay so I had several people suggest that my eye relief might be wrong. Today I took out my levels and mounted to a level scope to a level rifle. I really need some gunsmith levels, these carpentry levels are a PIA to use for this purpose. Not sure how accurate I got it but it should be ballpark. Before I did all the leveling I played with it for awhile to find the proper eye relief for me. I generally shoot with my nose either very close to, or touching the charging handle. That's just the way the army taught this old grunt. Anyway, here is a picture of what I ended up with. The occular lens cap (closed) is 1 3/8" away from the end of the charging handle. It gives me just a "C" hair of play where I can pull my nose away from the charging handle and still attain good eye relief. Any thoughts, tips or tricks you've learned for attaining proper eye relief? What works best for you?

http://i68.tinypic.com/14uj5fq.jpg

Jerry R
28 June 2016, 13:42
What was the power setting on the scope when you set eye relief? I have found that "full circle" eye relief changes as you change the scope power setting. I usually set eye relief first at max power on the scope, then crank it down to minimum and see if the relief is still good. If both are okay, the settings in the middle will also be okay.

gatordev
28 June 2016, 13:55
Like Jerry said, set it at max, as that's the least forgiving setting for eye relief. It's also important to put the stock where you want for whatever shooting position matters to you. For me, with my anthro metrics, prone will be the position that I need the stock farthest extended (to whatever position that may be). So I set my eye relief there, and then know that if I shoot in any other position, all I have to do is adjust the stock in to maintain eye relief. If your preferred "worst" position is other than prone, obviously pick that one.

old11bravo
28 June 2016, 15:57
Thank you gentlemen! Incidentally, I did have it at full magnification when I adjusted the position of the scope for eye relief. Not because I'm smart, but because I'm lucky haha LOL.

BTW, love this freakin' scope. I was spotting buildings and objects from the second story window of my bedroom way the fuck out there! It sure does reel things in for you.

Former11B
28 June 2016, 18:17
Thank you gentlemen! Incidentally, I did have it at full magnification when I adjusted the position of the scope for eye relief. Not because I'm smart, but because I'm lucky haha LOL.

BTW, love this freakin' scope. I was spotting buildings and objects from the second story window of my bedroom way the fuck out there! It sure does reel things in for you.

Nice rifle, fellow 11

I live on a one acre lot and there's an old farmer that has a large crop field next to my house. I can glass the field for coyotes/hogs from the second floor windows on that side of the house 100-300 yards away. Can't wait to drop a 'dog from the easy chair :)

BoilerUp
28 June 2016, 18:27
11B,
I never know if I should reply to your posts here or on SGN. [:D]

Great looking build. I think I've determined that I prefer the Ergo grip over the Hogue. I mount my glass about the same as you showed. I don't shoot NTCH anymore, but I prefer a compact LOP. I also use the index clips for the same purpose on all my rifles but generally just use one clip as a reference for the rear slot. Here is my SPR/Precision Recce build and you can see it is set up about the same:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-CJtPJRc/0/X2/i-CJtPJRc-X2.jpg

mustangfreek
2 July 2016, 01:18
Damn , nice pile of parts there Ron

How does she shoot/group?

I need to get/build a damn 308 something sitting on 500 plus rds of 308 ammo and nothing to shoot it up with plus stuff to reload

Also nice stick there boiler