PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to SBR an AK....

gatordev
3 July 2016, 14:06
...what's the best, most reliable, and least expensive length to go with? Here's the background:

I have a SLR-104 (5.45) that I don't really need to SBR, however, it might be worth it to SBR it now while it's easy and if I decide to not go through with it, just ask for the tax refund later. However, I need to figure out what barrel length I would put on the F1. From my Google searching, it looks like getting the right barrel length and still ensuring you have a functional gun can potentially be an issue. If this was an AR, I know I could send it to Adco and they'd have a good gas port dimension, but it looks like they don't do AKs.

I'm not a big AK user, but it's fun to take one out every so often and see what 1940's technology has to offer, so figured I'd look at SBR'ing one in the process. So, thoughts?

Tyrannosaur
3 July 2016, 14:34
I would contact either Rifle Dynamics or Chris Butler. I have experience with Chris, he specializes in the AK platform and is a wealth of knowledge. He would be able to point you in the right direction and cut it down for you.

As far as Rifle Dynamics go their AKS are some of the nicest AKS you can get but last I knew there was quite a wait time. Both will serve you well and help you decide/ shorten your barrel. Hope that helps

SINNER
3 July 2016, 14:59
If you use a muzzle booster aka booster brake or a can you can go as short as 1/2" past the gas block. Lots of SLR 104-53's chopped as short as possible out there. If it's the 1-7.8 twist then accuracy can become an issue under 10".

Pyzik
20 October 2016, 10:22
I was excited about this post until you mentioned it's a 5.45. :p

My vote is to abandon this whole idea, keep the gun as is and get a 7.62 to chop and SBR. [:D]

gatordev
20 October 2016, 13:32
Good news...I abandoned the whole idea. But the 5.45 is staying. An AK is a range toy for me, and I'm swimming in 5.45 so no -47 for me.

Sak007
20 October 2016, 15:13
I was excited about this post until you mentioned it's a 5.45. :p

My vote is to abandon this whole idea, keep the gun as is and get a 7.62 to chop and SBR. [:D]

This [BD] I have 11.5 7.62 and love it especially now that I just dialed in a subsonic load & it's soft and not gassy .........just how I like my ladies :P

Pyzik
20 October 2016, 15:20
Good news...I abandoned the whole idea. But the 5.45 is staying. An AK is a range toy for me, and I'm swimming in 5.45 so no -47 for me.

I didn't realize how old this thread was when I posted.

Sak007
20 October 2016, 16:45
I didn't realize how old this thread was when I posted.

Maybe it's given him time to come around and get a 7.62 [:D]

gatordev
20 October 2016, 17:32
Niet.

Sak007
20 October 2016, 17:55
Niet.
Вы знаете, что вы хотите прийти на темную сторону Gatordev

Pyzik
20 October 2016, 18:31
Вы знаете, что вы хотите прийти на темную сторону Gatordev
Yeah.... that.... [BD]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

gatordev
20 October 2016, 18:32
You are correct... A less ergonomic rifle is definitely the dark side. And I just don't want it. А теперь я открыл банку с червями.