PDA

View Full Version : The best gun review I have ever seen...

alamo5000
18 July 2016, 21:58
I don't know how many of you guys have seen this girl (yeah she's a hottie) and yes I do have a crush on her...

I have actually gotten to talk to her a couple times before... but I digress...

Anyway I am contemplating a .22LR build and in usual fashion I am trying to learn about everything before I fork out a bunch of money. In that process I ran across this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEUXDscjjg

I have to say that in my opinion this was one of the most thorough and thoughtful gun reviews I have ever seen in my life.

Forget the gun for a minute, and forget for a second that she's totally hot... the review itself is just awesome. There is a whole lot of really good content there.

Now back to guns. Anyone have any other input on high end 10/22s or similar type of builds? I am really not sure which direction I want to go with it but what she's holding there (or something similar) is definitely an option of something I would enjoy a lot.

Aragorn
19 July 2016, 01:25

DeviantLogic
19 July 2016, 02:05
Nice thing about the 10/22 is that you can go from inexpensive to high end on pretty much everything. My 10/22 isn't a high end build, and I haven't touched any parts on my 10/22 in about 25 years, but the gun is wildly accurate. Hogue stock, bushnell 3-9x scope, and a butler creek fluted bull barrel. Don't know how many thousands of rounds have gone through it. What I don't like about it: 1) it's got a stainless receiver/barrel/scope - would prefer black 2) Barrel isn't threaded for a suppressor 3) stock mag release sucks. The gun was given to me as a gift, and was a project for my dad and I back when I younger...really don't want to swap anything out at this point.

I've considered getting a new 10/22 host to put an integral suppressed barrel on. I'd probably just get the cheapest 10/22 available, then start swapping parts. I'm not really sold that the value added on the volquartsen or tactical solutions receivers are worth it compared to the Ruger. The main thing I'd want to swap out is the trigger group/mag release...which you'd still have to pay for with the volquartsen and tacsol's.

Still trying to figure out if I want to go that route, or get a bolt action 22lr. A CZ-455 is really calling my name.

Pyzik
19 July 2016, 09:27
I don't know how many of you guys have seen this girl (yeah she's a hottie) and yes I do have a crush on her...

I have actually gotten to talk to her a couple times before... but I digress...

Anyway I am contemplating a .22LR build and in usual fashion I am trying to learn about everything before I fork out a bunch of money. In that process I ran across this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEUXDscjjg

I have to say that in my opinion this was one of the most thorough and thoughtful gun reviews I have ever seen in my life.

Forget the gun for a minute, and forget for a second that she's totally hot... the review itself is just awesome. There is a whole lot of really good content there.

Now back to guns. Anyone have any other input on high end 10/22s or similar type of builds? I am really not sure which direction I want to go with it but what she's holding there (or something similar) is definitely an option of something I would enjoy a lot.

She is super hot. I enjoy her videos, go figure.

UWone77
19 July 2016, 10:22

A lot of gun bunnies seem to piggy back on the legit Pro Shooters... only they don't know how to shoot and bring nothing to the table except men clicking "like" on their photos.

MoxyDave
19 July 2016, 11:31
I have a bunch of .22s and my favorite by a wide margin is my Tactical Solutions X-Ring. I built it up similar to the video below. Super accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. If I were to build another I would try out the Magpul stock, maybe even the takedown version.

I also have a mostly stock Ruger 10/22 with a Volquartsen TG2000 trigger, and it's almost as accurate as the Tac Sol. Especially with .22lr, accuracy really comes down to the ammo. With Federal Gold Medal Match, both guns shoot about the same at 100 yards. The Tac Sol is lighter, more ergonomic, looks completely badass and works well with a suppressor (the stock Ruger barrel is not threaded).

Also look into the Sig 522. The stock trigger is fantastic and it's every bit as accurate as my 10/22s. You don't see much press on it, but it really is a great gun for the money.

https://youtu.be/VgC79Le0YIM

Pyzik
19 July 2016, 11:56
A lot of gun bunnies seem to piggy back on the legit Pro Shooters... only they don't know how to shoot and bring nothing to the table except men clicking "like" on their photos.
Yep, plenty of those.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Joelski
19 July 2016, 13:18
Crushin leads to gushin!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/535089311650041856/igEPLs-l.jpeg

alamo5000
19 July 2016, 15:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_Ur6kFpe0&feature=youtu.be&a

That's another extremely interesting gun right there. That barrel changeability thing is pretty neat and could come in handy.

alamo5000
19 July 2016, 17:00
Between the video of the first rifle (the Volkquartsen) and the second rifle video (the Kidd)... what do you guys say? What is your opinion on those two? Pro and con of each as you see it?

alamo5000
19 July 2016, 17:09
Nice thing about the 10/22 is that you can go from inexpensive to high end on pretty much everything. My 10/22 isn't a high end build, and I haven't touched any parts on my 10/22 in about 25 years, but the gun is wildly accurate. Hogue stock, bushnell 3-9x scope, and a butler creek fluted bull barrel. Don't know how many thousands of rounds have gone through it. What I don't like about it: 1) it's got a stainless receiver/barrel/scope - would prefer black 2) Barrel isn't threaded for a suppressor 3) stock mag release sucks. The gun was given to me as a gift, and was a project for my dad and I back when I younger...really don't want to swap anything out at this point.

I've considered getting a new 10/22 host to put an integral suppressed barrel on. I'd probably just get the cheapest 10/22 available, then start swapping parts. I'm not really sold that the value added on the volquartsen or tactical solutions receivers are worth it compared to the Ruger. The main thing I'd want to swap out is the trigger group/mag release...which you'd still have to pay for with the volquartsen and tacsol's.

Still trying to figure out if I want to go that route, or get a bolt action 22lr. A CZ-455 is really calling my name.

I am torn between different rifles. I don't know what I want to get yet. PWS used to make a flip action bolt gun that I really liked but I am not sure if that's what I really want.

In the back of my mind I think I should stick to the tried and true 10/22... but as to what 'level' of 10/22 is a whole different subject. If it's like any other gun I have ever bought the extra investment into something that I really like will pay off in the end.

Yeah, its been a while since I watched her videos but overall I really like her style. Aside from everything else I think she is a great ambassador for the shooting sports.

That's one thing I like about her. She's a former Olympian. She knows what she's doing. It's not just a matter of 'I like guns'. She's just a package.

I do agree though. I like bikini babes just as much as the next guy, but relying TOO MUCH on that to try and sell stuff...I kind of question it.

mustangfreek
20 July 2016, 02:50
That vid reminds me I want to try out one of them Magpul stocks for the 10/22..

I got a good excuse as last time out my youngest wanted to come with me and the oldest and he didn't put down my older 10/22 so thinking it's gonna be his and I need one with a different stock/barrel lol

Jerry R
20 July 2016, 12:24
Slightly off topic with an old picture

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Rem540-XRCroppedandEnhanced.jpg~original

A Remington 540-XR single shot. When I had an FFL, I bought it new for $100. My youngest Grandson is a competitive shooter. He has progressed from BB to Air Rifle. When he moves into 22LR, it is his. I have a never mounted set of Williams micrometer front and rear sights for him to use. It has probably less than 200 rounds through it, and has had several shooters say "I didn't think I could shoot that well." It has literally shot the staples off a target with four consecutive shots (done just to show off [BD]) at 100 yards.

I bought it in the early 70's after reading an American Rifleman article about someone cutting one down to 16" and carving the stock to make a squirrel rifle. Thankfully, I never got around to hacking it up. I have a 10-22 and 597 target versions, and a 40XB-KS (.243) that come close, but this is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

DeviantLogic
20 July 2016, 12:36
Between the video of the first rifle (the Volkquartsen) and the second rifle video (the Kidd)... what do you guys say? What is your opinion on those two? Pro and con of each as you see it?

I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

I am torn between different rifles. I don't know what I want to get yet. PWS used to make a flip action bolt gun that I really liked but I am not sure if that's what I really want.

In the back of my mind I think I should stick to the tried and true 10/22... but as to what 'level' of 10/22 is a whole different subject. If it's like any other gun I have ever bought the extra investment into something that I really like will pay off in the end.

Might be worth looking at the AWC Ultra 13 that uses the PWS receiver.

schambers
20 July 2016, 12:49
Pws stopped producing the summit series of rifles due to low demand. If you want one, call pws and ask for retailers that still may have them. I picked one up for about $700. Also did a tube video on it. Very well constructed piece of kit

alamo5000
20 July 2016, 19:29
Slightly off topic with an old picture

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Rem540-XRCroppedandEnhanced.jpg~original

A Remington 540-XR single shot. When I had an FFL, I bought it new for $100. My youngest Grandson is a competitive shooter. He has progressed from BB to Air Rifle. When he moves into 22LR, it is his. I have a never mounted set of Williams micrometer front and rear sights for him to use. It has probably less than 200 rounds through it, and has had several shooters say "I didn't think I could shoot that well." It has literally shot the staples off a target with four consecutive shots (done just to show off [BD]) at 100 yards.

I bought it in the early 70's after reading an American Rifleman article about someone cutting one down to 16" and carving the stock to make a squirrel rifle. Thankfully, I never got around to hacking it up. I have a 10-22 and 597 target versions, and a 40XB-KS (.243) that come close, but this is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

That looks nice as hell to be just flat out honest about it.

I am kind of torn if I want a bolt gun or to build a 10/22 or to just buy one. And if I just buy a 10/22 what level of 10/22 should it be? Decisions decisions.

I really like that PWS but I am disappointed that they are not being produced anymore. I have never seen one in person but I am hesitant to buy a gun that has proprietary parts (or might have them).

I do have to be realistic about ammo though. I am not quite sure what kind of ammo I can get since reloading is obviously off the table. I just looked it up and the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo costs just as much as some .223! All that said I imagine since I will be using off the shelf ammo whatever I wind up with I might just have to mix and match and try to find ammo that it likes and then get a bunch of it.

I like the magpul stock because I can use all my other MLok stuff including my bipod with it.

If I buy a cheapy 10/22 the first thing I will have to do is swap the barrel and maybe some other parts. That alone will start jacking the cost up. I might just say screw it and get the Kidd people to make one for me, and per the video if I ever want to mix it up some I can swap barrels in about 60 seconds.

$1200 bucks on a 10/22 though... I imagine it might be worth it.

Hell, I might get into the .22 thing and wind up with 2 or 3 guns (just like I did with ARs)...

alamo5000
20 July 2016, 19:35
I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

Might be worth looking at the AWC Ultra 13 that uses the PWS receiver.

It's integrally suppressed... could be interesting for sure. For now I will use my 9mm can on the rifle (whatever it winds up being). It will knock it down to about 115 DB but it has to have a threaded barrel.