PDA

View Full Version : 308 receivers and build ideas

mustangfreek
22 July 2016, 03:33
Up late and thinking again..Had a aero 308 receiver set right after they came out but a few little problems and issues made me decide to drop it...

But back to thinking again I need a 308 setup,dropping the BO and need something different then 556 for the next build..

So not been paying to much attention to this side lately , what other receiver/sets are out there , from cheaper and up? Sure wish the aero sets were $220 when I bought it a year or so ago..

Anyways assuming that the dpms style is still the better option for more stuff, handguards,bcgs still?

Ideally I just want a decent 16-18" gun to go screw around with/bang steel and if need be take out hunting

gatordev
22 July 2016, 04:11
Anyways assuming that the dpms style is still the better option for more stuff, handguards,bcgs still?

Basically, yes, but there's also the SR-25-style which follows most of the DPMS standards where it counts, but has a slant cut. These will still work with PMAGs and all the DPMS action parts. Examples include: KAC, LMT, Larue, and Mega.

BoilerUp
22 July 2016, 06:05
For me, the main impediment to adoption of the 308 AR is weight. Accordingly, the most interesting receiver set on the market to me is the 2A Armament Xanthos

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0914/1556/products/IMG_5684opti_grande.JPG?v=1457385544 (http://2a-arms.com/collections/receivers/products/xanthos-lite-large-frame-receiver-set)

I've looked over a Xanthos set in a LGS pretty closely and was impressed and will likely pick one up eventually.

And I've said it before, but the 6.8 SPC has been my "solution" to the weight issue of the 308 AR and I've been very pleased with the rounds performance (I used it for white tail hunting).

Slippers
22 July 2016, 06:18
Sometimes weight isn't a bad thing, especially when it comes to 308 ARs. They're much harder to shoot accurately and the additional mass reduces the felt recoil and movement.

If you shoot a DD5v1 next to a LMT MWS the DD has a much harsher recoil, mainly because it weighs over a lb less.

Unfortunately piecing together a 308 AR is not as easy as an AR15 since there are different receiver heights, uppers and lowers, barrel extensions and bolts, and so forth. It's expensive, but if you want it to run well I recommend getting a factory rifle.

UWone77
25 July 2016, 09:43
Sometimes weight isn't a bad thing, especially when it comes to 308 ARs. They're much harder to shoot accurately and the additional mass reduces the felt recoil and movement.

If you shoot a DD5v1 next to a LMT MWS the DD has a much harsher recoil, mainly because it weighs over a lb less.

Unfortunately piecing together a 308 AR is not as easy as an AR15 since there are different receiver heights, uppers and lowers, barrel extensions and bolts, and so forth. It's expensive, but if you want it to run well I recommend getting a factory rifle.

This.

I'm going with a factory LMT MWS for my next .308. Virtually every other AR10 chassis I've built up needed some kind of tuning before the gun would run reliably.

DutchTerror
25 July 2016, 12:58
I stuck it out with my M5 receiver set. Used an Aero bolt and a Ballistic Advantage (Aero owned) 18" barrel. I had an issue in the beginning with a failure to pick up the next round and no bolt hold open on an empty magazine. I ditched the only adjustable gas block I've ever used (Syrac) and put a standard gas block back on. It's been 100% ever since. I hear that Aero is coming out with a revised set of M5 receivers and handguards, possibly as soon as a couple of weeks out. As other have said, the large frame AR is no walk in the park to build, but I do believe it is getting easier. It just takes some research.

Shots from mine after changing back to the fixed gas block. Shooting at 670 yards with 168gr handloads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOvcxHRF1TE

old11bravo
25 July 2016, 13:27
That is awesome!! Wish I had somewhere like that to shoot around here.

I stuck it out with my Mega AR10 build too. Had the exact opposite problem that you had. The standard Noveske low profile gas block was so violent it was ripping the primers out of the .308 casings. Traded the Noveske GB out for an adjustable Syrac Ordnance Low Pro and dialed the gas in classic text book fashion and now that thing runs like a demon!

MEGA MATEN 18” AR10 Marksman Rifle
Mega MKM Maten Extended Rifle Length Keymod Set
Mega .308 Billet Upper Receiver
Mega .308 Billet Ambi Lower Receiver
Mega Lightweight Extruded Keymod Handguard

Lower
Rainier Arms Buffer Tube Tube/Buffer and spring Assembly
Magpul ACS Mil-Spec Stock W/Limbsaver Butt Pad
Mega Branded Hogue Rubber Finger Grooved Pistol Grip
JP Lower Parts Kit Mil-Spec Minus Trigger Assembly
Geissele Hi-Speed National Match DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Trigger
Battle Arms Development Combat Ambi Safety Selector Switch
Battle Arms Development Enhanced Magazine Release
Norgon Ambi Bolt Catch/Release

Upper
Mega Arms .308 Charging Handle
Mega Arms .308 Barrel 18” Mid Length Gas .750 Block Journal 1:10 Twist
Rainier Arms Ultra Match .308 Bolt Carrier Group
Syrac Ordnance .750 Set Screw Low Pro Adjustable Gas Block
SLR Synergy Comp 30 Cal 5/8x24 Thread
Lewis Machine Tool .308 Flip Up BUIS Set Front/Rear
Gear Sector Rail Mount QD Socket/Swivel Set

Optics
Bobro Precision Optic Mount Extended 30mm Rings
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 30mm Tube FFP Illuminated EBR-1 MRAD Reticle
Aadmount Objective/Occular Lens Cap Covers and Throw Lever

Bipod
B&T Atlas Bipod Lever With ADM 170 Lever

http://i63.tinypic.com/30tryhy.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ptv3ww.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2n1f2c7.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/iep7i1.jpg

Joelski
25 July 2016, 13:35
I'm still planning to do one this winter (Hopefully). Honestly, I've looked at 6.5 Creed and other "better" calibers, but I don't really see a lot of factory backing, and I can't really see the compelling part at all for myself. I'm pretty sure I won't be shooting over 400 yards with any frequency and as much as I've considered it, I still can't bring myself to make that step into reloading. The pluses for .308 add-up to well more than its negatives, from what I can find.

gatordev
25 July 2016, 14:22
This.

I'm going with a factory LMT MWS for my next .308. Virtually every other AR10 chassis I've built up needed some kind of tuning before the gun would run reliably.

Maybe your industry connections can get me a second MWS .308 barrel to go along with your gun. Krieger wants ~$700 for what's basically their M110 barrel.

While it works now, I wish there was a more readily available alternative to the Rainier barrel I got as it's just so gassy. I didn't want to spend the cash on a LMT at the time, especially since I already owned a compatible lower, but going the LMT route seems like the easiest "total package" solution for not a stupid crazy amount of money.

DutchTerror
25 July 2016, 17:35
Beautiful rifle! Guess we should have traded gas blocks! Lol

That is awesome!! Wish I had somewhere like that to shoot around here.

I stuck it out with my Mega AR10 build too. Had the exact opposite problem that you had. The standard Noveske low profile gas block was so violent it was ripping the primers out of the .308 casings. Traded the Noveske GB out for an adjustable Syrac Ordnance Low Pro and dialed the gas in classic text book fashion and now that thing runs like a demon!

BoilerUp
25 July 2016, 17:42

Weight is a bad thing when you plan on actually taking your rifle into the mountains to look for ungulates. I'll probably go with a necked down cartridge to help mitigate the other factors you mention. Am leaning towards 7mm-08 due to availability of commercial hunting ammo, but am also considering .260 and 6.5 Creed. This is a ways out for me, though, as 6.8 SPC does what I need it to do for whitetail.

UWone77
25 July 2016, 18:33
Maybe your industry connections can get me a second MWS .308 barrel to go along with your gun. Krieger wants ~$700 for what's basically their M110 barrel.

While it works now, I wish there was a more readily available alternative to the Rainier barrel I got as it's just so gassy. I didn't want to spend the cash on a LMT at the time, especially since I already owned a compatible lower, but going the LMT route seems like the easiest "total package" solution for not a stupid crazy amount of money.

I'll definitely see what I can do when the time comes.

gatordev
25 July 2016, 18:40
That's above and beyond. If you do, I would appreciate it.

mustangfreek
26 July 2016, 03:09
Good info fellas...and some nice builds ...

I still haven't won the lotto, power ball or publishers clearing house yet as kinda pricing out some of these builds ideas...damn it adds up fast..then optics...

Might not happen I'm thinking, but damnit one got like 500+ rounds and reloading stuff for 308 just sitting here collecting dust..[crazy]

Slippers
26 July 2016, 03:53
Admittedly I'm an optics snob, but I always pick the optic before I plan the rifle. Then the price is known.

Plus, I firmly believe you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't spend as much on the glass as the rifle, unless it's a red dot, especially on something larger than 5.56 since you're investing much more money into ammo.

n4p226r
30 July 2016, 11:52
anyone know if the new Gen 3 N6 from noveske is still using all armalite pattern stuff?

SINNER
30 July 2016, 12:08
Yes. For 4K they can keep it.

mustangfreek
30 July 2016, 13:59
Yes. For 4K they can keep it.

Ya I'm with ya it's nice but 4K nice...I don't think so

Slippers
30 July 2016, 14:15
No clue why anyone would purchase the N4 at that price, especially when it can't take pmags.

$4k is just shy of SR25 money, and a Larue OBR or LMT MWS is $1000 less. And all of these are proven performers, and in use with militaries around the world.

Default.mp3
30 July 2016, 19:14
No clue why anyone would purchase the N4 at that price, especially when it can't take pmags.

$4k is just shy of SR25 money, and a Larue OBR or LMT MWS is $1000 less. And all of these are proven performers, and in use with militaries around the world.The Gen3 N6 can take .308 PMAGs. The non-Switchblock version retails for 3.6k USD, not sure what street prices are.

Default.mp3
30 July 2016, 19:16

$4k is just shy of SR25 money, and a Larue OBR or LMT MWS is $1000 less. And all of these are proven performers, and in use with militaries around the world.The Gen3 N6 can take .308 PMAGs. The non-Switchblock version retails for 3.6k USD, not sure what street prices are.

I'm still curious about the Mega SF-MATEN. However, I'm likely to simply have my own built from the Mega upper/lower receiver combo; it will be a long term project, as I've yet to finish my 5.56 projects, but I'm snagging the receivers before the election at least. Tentatively going with a Criterion chrome-lined barrel for now, not sure on the handguard.

SINNER
30 July 2016, 21:25
All in all I find the large pattern rifles to be very predictable when building. They are all over gassed IMO and just a fact of a cartridge that is pushing the standard buffer system to its limits. They run like crap with a carbine buffer system and I consider a rifle tube almost mandatory.

As far as interchangeability the upper, lower, and rail must be of like patterns. All 3 Armalite or all 3 DPMS.

Barrel and bolt must be from the same family also.

But you can run a Armalite barrel/bolt combo in a DPMS receiver set and vice versa.

Watch the hammer springs with some triggers, as some .308 have very hard primers and suffer from light strikes.

Also the Armalite bolt carrier's hammer slot is slightly more narrow than DPMS and some incompatibility with hammer width has been an issue.

Here are a few of mine I have pics of.

.338 Federal. This goes against my rifle tube rule but this is intended for a very specific use and will be hand loaded to accommodate its limits.

6.5 Creedmoor 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel

6.5 Creedmoor 26" Rainier Ultra Match. No pics but it's currently wearing Leupold MK4 8.5-25. Likely get a NF or Steiner soon.

.308 20" Rainier Ultra Match

SINNER
30 July 2016, 21:31
But if I had to pick just one .308...

alamo5000
30 July 2016, 22:17
Here are a few of mine I have pics of.

Holy Sweet Jesus.

Damn man. How many of those things do you have?

UWone77
30 July 2016, 22:43
Holy Sweet Jesus.

I know! He needs way more!

alamo5000
30 July 2016, 22:50

Don't we all! Don't WE ALL!!! [:D]

SINNER
30 July 2016, 23:31
Holy Sweet Jesus.

AR pattern another 9-10. Lol And a lot of stripped lowers. Got pretty crazy in Md so I figured I'd cover another decade before I split.

My torment.

Cheap DPMS. 1k slow month at LGS.