PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Builds

alamo5000
24 July 2016, 19:54
I have been thinking about it for a while now so I am dipping my toe into the 10/22 world. I have been reading and studying about it so I am going to be doing a custom 10/22 build. In fact two of them. One merely by luck!!

The first build I am doing is going to be primarily a 10/22 out of Kidd custom parts. Anyway after a bunch of reading (for a few weeks already) I went to a gun show and luckily there was a 10/22 booth. I got to hang out with 10/22 people and test out and see a lot of the good stuff on the market right now. That settled a lot the lingering debates I was having (caused by merely internet shopping). I got to test out and handle parts from the likes of Kidd, Volquartsen, etc etc.

I left there with a Kidd 10/22 reciever which will be the base of my custom job. I chose that one because I wanted it to match the trigger I was getting. The Volquartsen trigger was good, but the Kidd trigger was on a whole new level. It was like a total "WOW!" moment the minute I pulled that Kidd trigger. All it took was one trigger pull to settle the entire debate. I thought 'the trigger is in for sure, so I might as well have a matching reciever'... In that order. [:D]

I am going to be piecing this thing together as I get the money to do it.

Other than the reciever and trigger set I have not made up my mind for a barrel or anything else. At the end of the day it will probably be 90-100% Kidd components merely because, yes they are that much better.

----

On the second build though it is kind of interesting. A few days after I bought that 10/22 reciever a lady from nearby is moving so she came over to the house and handed me a 10/22. She can't take it with her and didn't want it so she gave it to me. It's in 'ok' condition but it needs a bit of work (it does however function just fine) but considering there are no sites on it at all I couldn't hit anything with it. It hasn't been cared for all that well but it still functions.

It's ideal for a project gun and for me to learn some basic gun smithing. I am thinking about making some sort of little .22LR blaster out of it. It was just a total surprise to be given a gun. It has some minor rust spots on it but it runs like a champ. The barrel needs replaced for one. Somebody "gently" tapped the muzzle of the gun with a hammer for some reason.

I will take it apart and clean it up, strip the paint off of the reciever, either paint or cerekote it (which I will need help with). Of course I will get a new stock for it as well. I will use the reciever, bolt, and trigger that came with it...other stuff not so much.

If you have any ideas do feel free to share. I am interested in the commentary and ideas about what I could do to make a cool little blaster out of the thing.

I also will probably call on some of you to help me learn how to do things like cerakote it or paint it, or know what I can and can't sand off of the thing, or if I even want to do that at all.

Anyway that's my two projects. I didn't really intend to get into it that soon, but now it looks like I am in there with both feet.

I am looking forward to completing them. When that happens I don't know, but 99% of it depends on how my money works out so they might be slow(ish) projects....

alamo5000
24 July 2016, 20:45
I could do one of these:

Or I could do a slide fire version of a 10/22...

Or I can go buck rodgers with it with a thumb hole stock...

alamo5000
24 July 2016, 20:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn_xEoIkmCU

Battle Cock
24 July 2016, 22:37
I've got a 10/22 in a rare Red Jacket ZK-22 stock, and it's cool, but ultimately pretty pointless. The bullpup trigger is just mediocre and the ergonomics aren't terribly conducive to accuracy or speed.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160725/5763685ddcec61b83480a32b542ac757.jpg

Stickman
24 July 2016, 23:51
You would think after all this time, someone could design a half decent looking 10/22 magazine.

alamo5000
25 July 2016, 18:17
I've got a 10/22 in a rare Red Jacket ZK-22 stock, and it's cool, but ultimately pretty pointless. The bullpup trigger is just mediocre and the ergonomics aren't terribly conducive to accuracy or speed.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160725/5763685ddcec61b83480a32b542ac757.jpg

Nothing Red Jacket goes on anything of mine :) LOL

You would think after all this time, someone could design a half decent looking 10/22 magazine.

You no likey the banana? ;)

Battle Cock
25 July 2016, 18:24
Nothing Red Jacket goes on anything of mine :) LOL

Heh, not without reason. But, I got a deal I couldn't pass up on that piece a couple years back. I'll probably sell it at a profit whenever I make my way across the country to that stash again.

alamo5000
25 July 2016, 18:34
First question for all you 'builders, fixers, and gun pimpers...

What are my options for doing a 'home based' paint/cerakote/ or other option?

Please note I can take guns apart and put them back together no problem but doing the cosmetic stuff is new to me so I will use this relatively simple job to try and learn from.

If I decide to paint it, what kind of paint? If I am going to cerakote it, what do I need to get that done? Obviously I can't sand off the serial numbers but I will take some kind of light sand paper and knock off those shallow rust spots.

Basically I am going to break the whole thing down to a bare reciever and start there but 1. I am not sure my options of what I can coat or paint it with (that will be gun appropriate). 2. I don't know what tools I might need to acquire to get said job done.

If it's too big of a pain in the ass I might take it to someone else and have them do the ______ whatever to it but I would like to try it myself if its not too expensive to get the stuff.

I also don't know what it is coated with now, but I am guessing plain old paint stripper will take whatever it is off.

Basically in my mind the steps are to:

1. Strip it (ie the paint or whatever that is on there)
2. Gently sand it to get the desired smooth texture

and then it will be a matter of dying, blue-ing, coating, painting, or whatever I wind up with.

Yes I could rattle can spray paint it but I am trying to use this project to learn something about that side of gun smithing.

cjd3
25 July 2016, 20:52
I recently "traded up" my 10/22 to the one with a factory threaded barrel and iron sights. I put on the Williams Fire sights with rear ghost ring. I wanted to keep this one scope free.
I am looking at possibly getting some work done on it at CT Precision (http://ct-precision.com) before I go Kidd crazy.

SwissyJim
25 July 2016, 20:58
I had the ZK22 stock, and while it was cool. oh my GOD was it a pain in the ass to open up to clean after a lot of shooting suppressed. I gave it to a friend for his kid, and put a Magpul Hunter stock on mine and am so much happier. Also got a Brimestone trigger job and the normal mag release, bolt release, and other parts added on. With the Green Mountain 20" bull barreland a Vortex 2-10x scope, I pop the heads off of ptarmigan super easy. Between that and my M&P 15-22, I'm happy happy happy with my .22's

alamo5000
25 July 2016, 21:36
I recently "traded up" my 10/22 to the one with a factory threaded barrel and iron sights. I put on the Williams Fire sights with rear ghost ring. I wanted to keep this one scope free.
I am looking at possibly getting some work done on it at CT Precision (http://ct-precision.com) before I go Kidd crazy.

I had the ZK22 stock, and while it was cool. oh my GOD was it a pain in the ass to open up to clean after a lot of shooting suppressed. I gave it to a friend for his kid, and put a Magpul Hunter stock on mine and am so much happier. Also got a Brimestone trigger job and the normal mag release, bolt release, and other parts added on. With the Green Mountain 20" bull barreland a Vortex 2-10x scope, I pop the heads off of ptarmigan super easy. Between that and my M&P 15-22, I'm happy happy happy with my .22's

On my one build that one is going to be Kidd all the way (for the most part), maybe 100%. Don't know yet. I am going to think through it and see what I can come up with. I already have the reciever and I am for DAMN SURE getting the Kidd 1.5lb single stage trigger for it... (OMG I pulled that and it was just awesome! I got trigger wood from that thing.)

On the second one I have a few ideas but I might keep it simple for now. I am trying to think about what I want to do with it. I am thinking about keeping it relatively simple. A smooth black bull barrel (threaded) and maybe an olive rubber hogue stock. I could then find a relatively inexpensive scope for it and call it a day.

I can thrash the holy living crap out of the second one. I am seriously considering putting that slide fire on it LOL! I think I can get the second one up and running and fairly cool for a few hundred bucks.

Having two builds going at the same time is kind of weird for me because I want them both to be unique. Plus I am pretty new to the 10/22 thing, at least customizing them. I am definitely open for ideas but for right now I am going to focus on getting the cheap one up and running.

I haven't spent a nickel on the second build yet. I can either make it full on project where I learn things like cerakote or whatever but considering that I would only be cerakoting one fricking part I don't know if it's worth it to go that route.

Choices choices... too many choices. Don't be shy about giving ideas now... LOL.

mustangfreek
26 July 2016, 02:46
First question for all you 'builders, fixers, and gun pimpers...

What are my options for doing a 'home based' paint/cerakote/ or other option?

Please note I can take guns apart and put them back together no problem but doing the cosmetic stuff is new to me so I will use this relatively simple job to try and learn from.

If I decide to paint it, what kind of paint? If I am going to cerakote it, what do I need to get that done? Obviously I can't sand off the serial numbers but I will take some kind of light sand paper and knock off those shallow rust spots.

Basically I am going to break the whole thing down to a bare reciever and start there but 1. I am not sure my options of what I can coat or paint it with (that will be gun appropriate). 2. I don't know what tools I might need to acquire to get said job done.

If it's too big of a pain in the ass I might take it to someone else and have them do the ______ whatever to it but I would like to try it myself if its not too expensive to get the stuff.

I also don't know what it is coated with now, but I am guessing plain old paint stripper will take whatever it is off.

Basically in my mind the steps are to:

1. Strip it (ie the paint or whatever that is on there)
2. Gently sand it to get the desired smooth texture

and then it will be a matter of dying, blue-ing, coating, painting, or whatever I wind up with.

Yes I could rattle can spray paint it but I am trying to use this project to learn something about that side of gun smithing.

I almost didn't quote as...damn that's a lot to answer..

I am a tinkerer, have been since I was a kid riding bikes-dirtbikes-rebuilding motors before I could drive, then on to painting them, making th go faster-break them and repeat..lol

Not only cause I didn't have lots of money but enjoyed learning how things worked-and making them better.

Every gun I get, I tear it totally down and just look at stuff for a while to see how/why and what to do to make better or worse then better...lol

I'll say refinishing firearms with anything other then paint takes time,patience, some OCD, and just a general knowledge of everything your doing a planning-pre planning

Since we all know how you are,taking it to someone to get coated would save you headache, plus all the tools you need, I have been koting some stuff and off the bare essentials, like sanding with sandpaper will not produce the correct texture for cerakoting, need a sandblaster and use alum oxide or such, also need tubs or something for degreasing before blasting, after and before baking, prep is always the key for a good finish, also need some kind of oven, air compressor , spray gun/air brush , water separator/trap on your lines, good respirator, and rags, etc...like other parts of this hobby it adds up but I had most of the stuff from spraying cars and such..

It's fun to see something go from ugly to new again but it will take some time to get it down, plus a good size area to do it in..

Any more questions ask away, I know I'm not the only one cerakoting and such on here. But then you go the rattle can way, which I have before it's much easier but it's just paint do will wear fast and not as precise , etc...it's the cheaper , easier way but you can get decent results...ok that got longer then I thought..lol..

mustangfreek
26 July 2016, 02:49
But to answer the 10/22 question...lol

I've always wanted to build up one , but haven't ..have an older (metal trigger guard 10/22) that my youngest really likes so might give that to him and that gives me an excuse to do my own setup, nothing crazy , maybe a magpul stock , heavier barrel -16" and trigger,mag release mods etc...but probably not anytime soon..

alamo5000
26 July 2016, 07:43
I'll say refinishing firearms with anything other then paint takes time,patience, some OCD, and just a general knowledge of everything your doing a planning-pre planning

Since we all know how you are,taking it to someone to get coated would save you headache, plus all the tools you need, I have been koting some stuff and off the bare essentials, like sanding with sandpaper will not produce the correct texture for cerakoting, need a sandblaster and use alum oxide or such, also need tubs or something for degreasing before blasting, after and before baking, prep is always the key for a good finish, also need some kind of oven, air compressor , spray gun/air brush , water separator/trap on your lines, good respirator, and rags, etc...like other parts of this hobby it adds up but I had most of the stuff from spraying cars and such..

It's fun to see something go from ugly to new again but it will take some time to get it down, plus a good size area to do it in..

Any more questions ask away, I know I'm not the only one cerakoting and such on here. But then you go the rattle can way, which I have before it's much easier but it's just paint do will wear fast and not as precise , etc...it's the cheaper , easier way but you can get decent results...ok that got longer then I thought..lol..

From the sounds of it, it sounds like something I still would like to do but I would not be very good at it. I would be the guy that does the paint job with runs in it with a big old thumb print on it. That said I am not sure it is worth it to try and figure out on my own even though it would be a valuable skill to have.

If I had someone show me (like let me work around them in the shop while they did it) I am sure I could be fairly proficient at it though.

I don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole. I would like to but it's a sidetrack that I might have to wait on.

alamo5000
26 July 2016, 08:26
I was more in the spirit of this guy...but even though its a good idea and in all honesty I have 90% of the tools (I don't have a spray gun but everything else is no problem)...I still might be getting too complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu_iuB5fqPU

Sak007
27 July 2016, 01:04
Sorry for the crappy cell pic
Specs
Tacsol X-ring receiver in matte brown
Thompson Machine Operative integrally suppressed barrel soon to get color matched to the anodized reciever
Magpul Hunter X-22 fde
Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 vplex rimfire

alamo5000
27 July 2016, 03:39
Sorry for the crappy cell pic
Specs
Tacsol X-ring receiver in matte brown
Thompson Machine Operative integrally suppressed barrel soon to get color matched to the anodized reciever
Magpul Hunter X-22 fde
Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 vplex rimfire

You had me at integrally suppressed [:D]

Oh Wow! I like it! Very nice!

Sak007
27 July 2016, 21:22
Sequim Shooter on this site was the inspiration for this rifle , He had the same barrel set up with a PWS T3 Summit with the biathlon action that was as quite as a flea fart and I had to get one . I built this one and we had a friendly shoot off and my semi action was actually more quite then his biathlon action so of course he sold the receiver and blatantly copied me [BD]

alamo5000
27 July 2016, 21:44
Sequim Shooter on this site was the inspiration for this rifle , He had the same barrel set up with a PWS T3 Summit with the biathlon action that was as quite as a flea fart and I had to get one . I built this one and we had a friendly shoot off and my semi action was actually more quite then his biathlon action so of course he sold the receiver and blatantly copied me [BD]

HAHAAAA!!!

The rifle I have in mind will look something like that only mine won't be integrally suppressed (yet).

So how do you like that stock? I am keeping that one near the top of my list to be honest.

Once it's all said and done my 'nice' rifle will be a Kidd setup...here's to hoping I can get my finances together so I can finish that and a few other things off.

Sak007
27 July 2016, 21:50
I really like the stock it fits great and the m-lok makes life easier for me . When I first started on it I was split between Kidd , Tacsol & Volquartsen & honestly I went with the Tacsol based on the color but couldn't be happier with the craftsmanship and performance .

Sequim Shooter
27 July 2016, 22:12
I wanted a quality 10/22 so i put together a not too budget build.
PWS T3 action
Nikon P22 scope
Thompson Operative Integrally suppressed barrel
Ruger BX trigger
Magpul stock

It was fun. Until I went shooting with Sak007. You would think that a closed bolt action would be quieter than a semi auto. It wasn't. It wasn't even close.

So yes, I blatantly copied him. It's out now.
Now I have the Tacsol Xring receiver.

alamo5000
27 July 2016, 22:17
I really like the stock it fits great and the m-lok makes life easier for me . When I first started on it I was split between Kidd , Tacsol & Volquartsen & honestly I went with the Tacsol based on the color but couldn't be happier with the craftsmanship and performance .

I decided on Kidd because I got to test out their triggers. After that I knew... [adore]

As for the stock you hit the nail on the head. I have a bunch of m-lok stuff so it will be nice to be able to use things interchangeably. That said I don't hardly run guns with anything 'extra' on them. I recently put an Arisaka light on my SBR and all I can say is 'just damn!'. I should have bought one of those a long, long time ago. But for the most part I don't make use of all the wigits out there. About the only thing I might use is my bipod, but who knows. I might discover something awesome like that light I got.

The other thing about that stock that I like is that it is modular. I can change up the LOP if I want or swap around that tray for a tapered barrel (probably never going to happen) but still nice to have, especially being able to adjust the LOP.

Right now the biggest thing I am thinking about is the barrel. That is still TBD. I have a basic idea but other than that...

alamo5000
27 July 2016, 22:21
I wanted a quality 10/22 so i put together a not too budget build.
PWS T3 action
Nikon P22 scope
Thompson Operative Integrally suppressed barrel
Ruger BX trigger
Magpul stock

It was fun. Until I went shooting with Sak007. You would think that a closed bolt action would be quieter than a semi auto. It wasn't. It wasn't even close.

So yes, I blatantly copied him. It's out now.
Now I have the Tacsol Xring receiver.

First off welcome to WEVO! Great bunch here.

Second your rifle looks sweet! I like it a lot. What scope are you running?

I find your comment about the PWS very interesting. I saw a few of them up for sale here or there and I was quite tempted to get one while I could. At the end of the day though I decided to stick to a basic semi auto 10/22 design.

Sequim Shooter
27 July 2016, 22:54
Thank you for the nice welcome!

I have an old cell phone with a not very good camera.

Sak007 and I were on a "guns and parts" buying adventure. He was dropping off a G19 for custom work and I sold the PWS receiver to the shop owner for $200. The shop owner was super happy.

Everyone that shot it was truly impressed. It just wasn't as quiet as the X-Ring.

I also saw a picture on the Internet of the biathlon toggle bolt broken. Had me worried.

This X-Ring receiver has been flawless and quiet so far.

My wife has a sweet 10/22.
Beyer 16" factory tapor barrel
Ruger purple laminated stock
Ruger BX trigger
PWS extended mag release
Swift 9x40 scope
AAC element 2 suppressor

alamo5000
27 July 2016, 23:05
I also saw a picture on the Internet of the biathlon toggle bolt broken. Had me worried.

That's the exact reason I didn't get it. Proprietary parts. A long time ago Stickman and I were having a conversation (online) (not even sure if he remembers it or not) but we had the same kind of talk about AR's with proprietary parts...

I can honestly say in hindsight that was probably some of the best advice I have ever been given as relating to AR's and firearm type stuff.

I applied the same principle to the 10/22. If I ever need parts I want something standard that won't go out of production or whatever.

Sequim Shooter
27 July 2016, 23:21
I dumped a Smith and Wesson m&p 10 because all the parts were proprietary. They wouldn't sell me any spare parts. I would have had to send it in.

Back to the 10/22 discussion.

I had a hogue over molded stock that was comfortable. I like the magpul stock better. I was able to add plates to get a correct length of pull.

I'm still waffling on painting it.....mad customs is a short drive from me.

Sak007
27 July 2016, 23:30
You could paint it to match mine and come to terms with your copying issues [wow]

Sequim Shooter
28 July 2016, 00:26
Hey. When something is really good, it's good.

now I have to dump all of my suppressors....

alamo5000
28 July 2016, 06:17
now I have to dump all of my suppressors....

Wait. What?

What all do you have? Why you want to dump them?

Sak007
28 July 2016, 11:05
Wait. What?

What all do you have? Why you want to dump them?
He likes the tone on mine more , were constantly involved in a one up battle

alamo5000
28 July 2016, 11:23
He likes the tone on mine more , were constantly involved in a one up battle

Omg. Seriously?

One question on the integrally suppressed barrel...

I'm not really sure of a 22 barrel life in general. 10,000? 20,000? 50,000 rounds?

Whatever that number is I would think the suppressor part would out last the barrel part.

I've looked marginally at AR barrel lives but I don't think I can make direct assumptions between the two.

SINNER
28 July 2016, 15:31
Non jacketed lead bullets at low velocity means it's almost impossible to shoot out a .22 barrel. I would guess 90% of ruined barrels on .22's would come from improper cleaning. I have a 10/22 I got 35 years ago on my 10th birthday that shoots like the day I was given the rifle. I would be lying if I said I knew the round count but it has to be well over 100k. as dirty as .22's are, I would think the can would be done long before the barrel.

alamo5000
28 July 2016, 15:48
Non jacketed lead bullets at low velocity means it's almost impossible to shoot out a .22 barrel. I would guess 90% of ruined barrels on .22's would come from improper cleaning. I have a 10/22 I got 35 years ago on my 10th birthday that shoots like the day I was given the rifle. I would be lying if I said I knew the round count but it has to be well over 100k. as dirty as .22's are, I would think the can would be done long before the barrel.

Duly noted. This is valuable information. Thanks.

I guess the type of barrel doesn't matter? Those 'sleeved' barrels? A stainless one? Anything?

alamo5000
31 July 2016, 14:26
I think I am coming down to some ideas for my 10/22 builds. Naturally I would like to get forum feedback though.

On my 'nice' build I am more than likely going full Kidd. Kidd reciever, Kidd threaded black bull barrel (bead blasted), 1.5lb Kidd single stage trigger. I will also go with the magpul polymer stock because of it's modularity and because it's M-lok compatible.

Now as for optics, I stopped in a sporting good store and saw some of their off the shelf stuff. Of everything I looked at Leupold was the clearest glass of them all. I don't know exactly how good those scopes really are. I don't want to spend some stupid amount of money though on an optic. They had one that went up to 12x that was pretty nice and it seemed reasonable. $200-$300 dollar ish.

That said I want to get forum input on 10/22 optics. 9x-12x is long end minimums. I can compare reticles from there. That Leupold I saw was fairly nice but I am unfamiliar with them as a brand. I've heard of them but I have never used them put it that way.

Sak007
31 July 2016, 15:13
My list of optics was the Vortex , Nikon & Leupold but couldn't justify the extra money on the Nikon or Leupold for my use .
The glass on my Vortex Crossfire II was nicer than I was expecting for the price point . I didn't feel the need to put to much money into an optic that would have no recoil or to much abuse , I'm more than happy with it .

Sak007
31 July 2016, 15:20
Sequim Shooter has the Nikon so maybe he could chime in on it .

DeviantLogic
31 July 2016, 15:26
Leupold is a solid manufacturer...been around forever. Used to be all American made, but I think some parts are manufactured in other countries now.

alamo5000
31 July 2016, 16:51
Thanks guys. The more options the better. I know I could spend a crapload of money on the optic for a rifle, but considering that it's for a .22 I definitely don't need alot of bells and whistles on the thing.

The more options I can look at and window shop for now, the better. I've kind of decided that for my 'nice' gun I am going to try and make it an accurate shooter so the form and format are starting to take place.

--

For the other gun (the cheap IE free 10/22) with rust spots on it and a hammered in barrel crown...I am not sure what I will make of that one. That one will probably see a lot more abuse but I am not yet sure what format to make it so that it's a different style of gun.

BoilerUp
31 July 2016, 16:52
I put a new stock on my 10/22 today, as I slowly work through an upgrade of the little carbine I've had since the 80's. Victor Company just (finally) released the Titan 10/22 stock in OD green, which I had been waiting for:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-khZrHND/0/X2/i-khZrHND-X2.jpg

The optic is a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 that I picked up on sale (under $170) some time ago. It's nice for rimfire as it has the parallax adjustment. The cantilever pic rail is from LaRue. The trigger is the cheap, but better than factor, Ruger BRX pack. Next up will be new barrel since the Titan will allow me more freedom of choice as far as profile goes. Am leaning towards the Kidd Ultralight right now, but may go with a Feddersen as I'm trying to keep the cost down on this little plinker.

alamo5000
31 July 2016, 18:40
I put a new stock on my 10/22 today, as I slowly work through an upgrade of the little carbine I've had since the 80's. Victor Company just (finally) released the Titan 10/22 stock in OD green, which I had been waiting for:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-khZrHND/0/X2/i-khZrHND-X2.jpg

The optic is a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 that I picked up on sale (under $170) some time ago. It's nice for rimfire as it has the parallax adjustment. The cantilever pic rail is from LaRue. The trigger is the cheap, but better than factor, Ruger BRX pack. Next up will be new barrel since the Titan will allow me more freedom of choice as far as profile goes. Am leaning towards the Kidd Ultralight right now, but may go with a Feddersen as I'm trying to keep the cost down on this little plinker.

NIIIICE!

So with that setup you have there is the rifle balanced? I mean take off the bipod and how is the handling? I know yours doesn't have a bull barrel on it yet, but that is one thing I am kind of concerned/thinking about is the end result balance I get if I slap on a heavy bull barrel. It would be kind of nice if I could handle different guns in different configurations to see how they feel to me. That would answer a lot of questions right there before I start forking out the dough.

On my cheapy build I might do an ultra light barrel on that one but I haven't made up my mind yet. It helps that I have no money right now. [:D]

I thought also that on my 'free' 10/22 that I might put a hogue soft stock on it. I am really not sure. I have a hard enough time thinking through one rifle at a time LOL!

BoilerUp
1 August 2016, 19:41
Thanks, Alamo. W/o the Harris, the center of gravity is at the mag well, so I think it balances well. Balance is part of the reason why I'm not really considering full bull barrels.

alamo5000
26 August 2016, 18:38
OK I need to get some input from the group here.

Even though cash is limited right now I managed to spare a couple hundred bucks to put together my 'zombie' 10/22. My full on Kidd rifle is on hold until I get more money. (That said this zombie rifle is going to help me make better choices for the Kidd once I get there).

I bought a 16" threaded bull barrel, an upgraded V block and a rubberized Hogue 10/22 stock for this one. What I am going to need is a little piece of rail to mount an optic on it, which I will find that later.

I want to get input on an inexpensive optic for a little 10/22 blaster. I am thinking a 1x or 2x or 4x or whatever...who the heck knows kind of optic... I was even thinking that 2.5x from primary arms might be interesting.... but then again this is going on a 10/22. I don't want to go overboard.

I want ideas.

I already have the Kidd receiver and I will trick that one out in a big way with a long optic or whatnot and set it up for precision shooting.

For my little halfway free zombie 10/22 though I want something fundamentally different. I am leaning towards some kind of options like I mentioned above but I want to get options and feedback and ideas that falls into that realm.