PDA

View Full Version : Gemtech Suppressors

UWone77
29 July 2016, 20:04
Anyone own some Gemtechs? What's the consensus on them now? Haven't heard many opinions about their newer stuff. I also haven't shot one since the original Halo, which at the time seemed pretty decent.

I blindly ordered the integral 10/22 barrel and thought about another Gemtech suppressor, possibly for my MP5 Clone.

alamo5000
29 July 2016, 20:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8L237fhao8

alamo5000
29 July 2016, 20:31
I've actually been shopping for 22 suppressors... so if you want to compare notes.... [BD]

alamo5000
29 July 2016, 21:20
For the integrally suppressed barrel... I've obviously been reading on 10/22 stuff a lot and personally I would make a couple statements and/or opinions.

I have read a ton about the tolerances of the barrel extensions on 10/22s in general and the tolerances of 10/22 uppers. They are all over the place. Obviously some are worse than others but it depends on the pairing. For about a $20-$25 part I would purchase an after market V-block no matter what.

Here is why:

As for the integrally suppressed barrel... meh... I personally don't care for the design of it. Just any of them don't really float my boat. (That said if I had one I would shoot the hell out of it)

The advantages of an integrally suppressed barrel is that it's 3-4DB quieter than anything else out there in way of .22 cans. Also you get an OAL that is still the same as a 16" gun. SBR's as you already know are naturally louder the shorter the barrel...but in this case they found that mystical middle ground where they gained some DB reduction.

Basically it's a .22 SBR with a build in baffle system. I am just guessing the barrel is about 9" and the suppressor part is about 7". That said you don't have to have any kind of weird stock to accomodate the SBR part of it. As long as it fits a bull barrel it's good to go. It's also just a one stamp gun.

That said is your gun going to cycle subsonic loads? From what I gather a lot of 10/22s are kind of picky and need to be tuned for subsonic shooting. The question is, are you going to buy a whole bunch of subsonic ammo and tune your rifle shoot subs to take advantage of that few extra DB's?

It also looks like a big pain in the ass to clean if you ask me. From my minimal experience I have learned that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to dirty suppressors.

Another downside is personally I don't like aluminum.

Now compare that with the new Griffin .22 QD. #1 it's QD. #2. It's got a stainless steel monocore baffle so you can shoot it on .17HMR or whatever else you can find. It's much easier to maintain. I could throw that baffle in my brand new rotary tumbler and not worry about it. And it's not stuck on just one host.

alamo5000
29 July 2016, 21:30
That said I don't know if standard .22LR is going to be subsonic or not out of a shorter barrel like that. I think it still might come down to ammo choice.

DeviantLogic
29 July 2016, 23:38
I think UW was looking for opinions on the non-integral Gemtechs...seeing if anyone had first hand experience with them.

UWone77
29 July 2016, 23:52
I think UW was looking for opinions on the non-integral Gemtechs...seeing if anyone had first hand experience with them.

Exactly.

LOL... I do like how you went off there alamo. The purchase for the integral has already been made. It's a range toy, and I got more than a smoking deal on it, so I pulled the trigger.

I'm looking for more opinions on their other suppressors. Never owned a Gemtech and like I posted earlier, I've only shot the original Halo. Just seeing if people are satisfied with their purchases.

Slippers
30 July 2016, 03:37
Where's voodoo? He has a bunch of gemtech cans.

I will say that I like the suppressed bolt carrier, although it's probably made by bootleg/pws.

alamo5000
30 July 2016, 05:38

My bad. Sorry.

voodoo_man
30 July 2016, 08:37
Gemtech is good to go.

MoxyDave
30 July 2016, 22:04
My first can was a Gemtech M402 "Pirhana", a simple 5.56mm thread-on steel suppressor. It must have 10k through it by now and it still works great. Used it for a lot of .22lr too before I got a dedicated can for that. Been a great can and I would buy another. I'm sure you'll enjoy that integral.

DeviantLogic
31 July 2016, 12:45
I might be wrong...but it seems pretty hard to find a bad .22LR can made by a major manufacturer. Most seem to get the job done equally well, quieting the noise to +/-115db. Main decisions to be made are baffle material and design.

Former11B
1 August 2016, 05:46
I might be wrong...but it seems pretty hard to find a bad .22LR can made by a major manufacturer. Most seem to get the job done equally well, quieting the noise to +/-115db. Main decisions to be made are baffle material and design.

Pretty much. The only differences are the tone/intensity of the FRP.

Otherwise, it's personal preference on baffle type and material.

As far as Gemtech in general, they stand behind their products and have been an industry go-to for decades. I just haven't bought any personally due to lack of local availability and similarly available substitutes.