PDA

View Full Version : More questions about optics...

Creeky73
14 March 2009, 15:23
hey guys, I am still quite up in the air about what optic to use, although I have narrowed it down to either the Aimpoint ML3 or the M4. Now obviously the M4 costs more, but by the time you add in a quality mount for the ML3, it gets in the neighborhood, at least close enough to not rule out the M4 based strictly on price. So my question is, what exactly are the differences between the two that would sway me to one side or the other? I know battery type is one of the main differences, but is there any serious difference in the overall quality, dependability or type of electronics used? In regard to the battery type, I know a lot of people prefer the more common type found in the M4, but don't the batteries used by the ML3 technically have longer shelf life? In case of the good ole hypothetical SHTF/Zombie Apocalypse situation, is it better to have a shitload of long lasting batteries in storage that are good for 10 years or be able to find batteries practically anywhere (AA's)? I'm thinking that, in the SHTF situation, batteries will be among the first things that people snatch and grab, so those AA's might not be as easy to come by as people think, especially since they power so many different things. The ones used by the ML3 are primarily digital camera batteries, right? I doubt if many people will be concerned about taking pictures when they think the Four Horsemen are riding into town. Aside from battery concerns, what else should I think about to decide between the two?

Stickman
14 March 2009, 15:29
I think batteries are the main point, and grabbing a couple lithium AAs would keep you covered for a mighty long time with the M4.

Cost is a big difference, and how much that plays into it is something that only you would know.

Its a win-win debate as far as I can see. You can't go wrong with either of them. Have you given any thought to the T-1? Smaller, lighter....

Creeky73
14 March 2009, 15:40
I have considered it, but I don't like the 4 moa option. I know that gets into seriously splitting hairs, but I really want the 2 moa dot. Now, being that the sight will be mounted all the way in front of the carry handle in a permanent 1/3 co-witness, I am not even sure how big the 4 moa dot would look to me, but I dunno....Yes, the base cost of the two (ML3 vs M4) is big on paper, but factor in at least $100 for a decent mount (and probably more like $150 as I am sure I would end up going for a Bobro 180) and the ML3 is only about $100 behind, so the price difference between the two isn't that serious. A T-1, again after the quality mount, will be every bit as expensive as the M4. The decrease in size might be enough to go over the top of my 4 moa argument, but the M4 also looks like a much tougher sight. Could be wrong there...

bigcoastie
15 March 2009, 04:27
As for price I don't think you can go wrong with any of them honestly when you factor in mounts they are all sitting at more or less the exact same price point. If you check out http://www.botachtactical.com/aimpoint.html they have the T-1 for 480.00 the M4 for 580.00 and the ML3 for 390. You already said you're going to spend about 150 for a decent mount which puts them at more or less the same price. Also if you don't like botach just go to swfa and request a price match they'll hook you up.

As for the optics themselves they all have ups and downs, that being said I'd go with the ML3 if your only options are M4 and ML3 I think getting the ML3 + a top quality qd mount is going to do you better in the long run, if you're open to the T-1 rock that out.