PDA

View Full Version : SMOS Customer Service

rxer311
11 August 2016, 15:55
Hi all. I wanted to share an issue I have been having and get your take on it. A few weeks ago I ordered a GFY receiver set from SMOS. There were some issues with the order as far as shipping goes because of having to get my FFL info over to them and what not. It took a couple of phone calls to SMOS but everything got straightened out and I had my receiver set within 10 business days. The thing is, though, that I was never given an order number or a tracking number (I ordered over the phone with Eric). Eventually I did get a tracking number out of them after my item had already been delivered at my FFL.

The receiver looked great and I decided that I wanted to add one of their GFY rails to my build since Eric offered me a great price on one. I took him up on the offer and last Monday (August 1) I ordered the rail. Again, I got no order number and there was no tracking info sent to my email. I gave it until Tuesday of this week to try and email Eric to see if my rail had shipped. I didn't get a response so I emailed him again yesterday just in case it got lost or accidentally deleted. I still hadn't heard from him so today so I gave SMOS a call and talked to a friendly woman who took my info and said she would look into my order and get back to me shortly. Its been a few hours and I am getting a bit perturbed. My credit card was billed 10 days ago, I never got an order confirmation (never did with the other order either) and no tracking was given to me. I am just trying to figure out if my order was ever shipped and get a tracking number. Is 10 days too short a time to get annoyed that I can't get an answer out of them?

I love their products and their machining is awesome...but their customer service seems to be seriously lacking.

At this point I am thinking about cancelling my order because I can't get a simple answer to my question.

rxer311
11 August 2016, 16:40
I finally got to talk to Eric tonight. He told me it just shipped out today. Still no tracking though. I really like their stuff and they are very friendly people to talk to. It just seems like they need to get their retail sales CS a bit better organized. I don't really like the fact that it took 10 days to process my order, but it is what it is. As long as everything makes it here like my receivers did, I will be a happy man.

Mecha_Arms
11 August 2016, 16:44
I think you should give it a bit more time. If I'm reading your post right, you emailed Tuesday, didn't get a response so emailed again the next day, didn't get a response so you called and they said they'd look into it. That seems pretty normal, especially for gun companies. Lots of guys complain that their emails don't get enough attention, and the response is always "we're busy making stuff here."

Joelski
11 August 2016, 18:41
It may just be me, but when I participate in a group buy, or get some kind of unusual discount, I don't worry about time as much. The source is doing me a favor via price or special item, so I grant a little leeway, cause a guy's gotta eat. To that point, I never ask for professional courtesy as I treat a friend like any businessman whose time is money. If that person chooses to grant me a special discount, I guess I don't expect "retail" CS. This is meant to sound off-putting to the OP, just my method for going about taking advantage of special prices. I've been through it with the "buddy discount" and people expecting everything you can give without granting some patience.

Example: I picked up a new Aimpoint last year for $399. Did I cancel the order because it was going on 3 weeks in getting delivered? Fk no! I'm pretty sure that price doesn't come around very often! I didn't like that it took so long, and I didn't have to like it, but I have one more Aimpoint micro than I would have otherwise.

rxer311
11 August 2016, 18:52
I don't wan't to complain too much and I understand your point.

Its just a bit of a surprise to me that it was difficult to get info on the status of an order. I don't want to sound ungrateful for the awesome deals that we were granted, but there is a charge on my credit card and I had and still do not have any sort of invoice or bill of sale or anything. I didn't really expect immediate shipping, but I kind of expected to have some sort of idea about order status after over a week of waiting. My post was simply and observation and I wanted to get others ideas about the experience. I am sure there would be some that would give a lot more leeway and some that might give a tighter rope to the situation.

As I said, all of my conversations with Eric and the rest of the staff have been pleasant and professional. I understand they are a machine shop and are just now expanding into a retail business and that may be some of the issue I encountered. They crank out some top shelf parts, but in this day and age, customer service can make or break you. I want to see them succeed...more quality parts for all of us.

UWone77
11 August 2016, 19:29
SMOS is not really geared up for direct sales to the end user. They've had bumps in the road. The crew down there though will take care of you, it'll just take a little longer than other outfits, but you can rest assure that your product will arrive.

Pyzik
12 August 2016, 05:00
I'm sure everything will work out great. Most manufacturers aren't the greatest at direct sales. That's not their wheel house.
Also, most manufacturers right now are simply trying to keep supply up to demand. And it's only going to get worse for the most part.

I've learned to expect weeks for a lot of parts nowadays. I really try my best to "forget" I've ordered something so I'm not checking the mail box everyday.

And I've got an AK that's down at Definitive Arms right now. It's been months. Communication is spotty. But I know they're more than reputable and in the end I expect that I'll be more than happy I waited.

fledge
12 August 2016, 14:39
Yeah SMOS is hard to get ahold of (so has CMT and Rainier and V7!). But they have been good to me on every order and have done the unexpected. My perception is that once the GFY was available, demand rocketed far higher than expected. Their new pricing reflects that too.

I want more SM uppers but now those are out of stock for the first time. :(

Joelski
12 August 2016, 14:59
Any chance of a group buy 2.0 happening at some point?

fledge
12 August 2016, 16:38
Their quad rail and branded BCG are on my radar but not available. A group buy for those would be nice. Maybe an upper receiver along with it...

EO3
24 August 2016, 11:55
I'd like to bring this thread back to life - all of you SMOS fans and lovers, do you mind chiming in with some of the frustrations and bad (or good, too) experiences you've had with them? Specifically anything customer service and/or website related. Thanks!

Pyzik
24 August 2016, 12:12
Here are my experiences: Nothing but good. But I've only been in contact with them twice. Once to send initial FFL info and once to say "thank you".

fledge
24 August 2016, 13:13
I'm a fanboy.

They are great on the phone.

Suggestions related to customer question:

Offer online what they are showing on their social media pages. (Eg BCG). Don't tease. Even if supply is limited, state it and offer it.

Ship within two business days and send tracking when items ship. I always have to follow up. Tracking is important where I live.

I was disappointed to see the big price hike recently. Would have been a nice touch to see a notice sent to their previous customers before that happened. That's what keeps customers loyal.

Don't discontinue items without warning. Some of us build with plans of reliable supplies in the future. Losing the SM upper... Just no. That was the most original thing in the SMOS brand and *poof*.

An SMOS newsletter with deals would be good to see. I think I've signed up for their list a half dozen times because I've never received anything.

UWone77
24 August 2016, 14:05
I'm a fanboy.

Offer online what they are showing on their social media pages. (Eg BCG). Don't tease. Even if supply is limited, state it and offer it.

Ship within two business days and send tracking when items ship. I always have to follow up. Tracking is important where I live.

I was disappointed to see the big price hike recently. Would have been a nice touch to see a notice sent to their previous customers before that happened. That's what keeps customers loyal.

Don't discontinue items without warning. Some of us build with plans of reliable supplies in the future. Losing the SM upper... Just no. That was the most original thing in the SMOS brand and *poof*.

An SMOS newsletter with deals would be good to see. I think I've signed up for their list a half dozen times because I've never received anything.

What was the price hike from and to?

fledge
24 August 2016, 14:11
For example, the SM upper went from $150 to $195. Almost 25%.

But look across the site. All their items did such a jump.

UWone77
24 August 2016, 14:25

IF you call Eric, they still offer a WEVO industry discount.

Probably doesn't help you, since you're looking for items they aren't producing right now.

EO3
24 August 2016, 14:53

Their prices did indeed go up on nearly all of their products. My understanding is that they realized their prices were a bit lower than products of comparable quality, so they brought them up to par, essentially.

fledge
24 August 2016, 15:07
I know there's explanations for all of it. I get it. I'm not doggin' in them because I really want them to succeed.

I'm giving suggestions to improve customer relations which is the point of EO3's post, I thought.

UW, I talked to Eric yesterday and got better than WEVO discount. :) Keep an eye on mail call.

alamo5000
24 August 2016, 16:45
I'm a fanboy.

I don't know anything about the company but based on your ideas and tone that sounds like some of the best constructive criticism I've heard in quite some time.

While I have zero experience with this company in any way... as a general rule for any company the hallmarks of goodness is accuracy, consistency, and appropriate communication.

rxer311
24 August 2016, 17:19
I finally got my rail today. I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of their parts.

They are friendly to speak with on the phone, however, I had to follow up with them 3 times to get a tracking number on my rail. I will definitely purchase parts from them in the future.

They do need to be more responsive with their shipping, tracking, and communication. It took 3 weeks plus 3 days to get my rail, which in this day and age is an eternity. I am not sure what happened but it took over 2 weeks just to get my rail shipped.

When I got it, however, it was well packaged and in pristine condition. Very nice rail and works very nice with the receiver set. I think the fit and finish is better than my Noveske Gen 3 only because those receivers are cerakoted and the rail was anodized.

EO3
24 August 2016, 18:53
Thanks for all of the constructive feedback so far!

UWone77
24 August 2016, 19:14
I know there's explanations for all of it. I get it. I'm not doggin' in them because I really want them to succeed.

I'm giving suggestions to improve customer relations which is the point of EO3's post, I thought.

UW, I talked to Eric yesterday and got better than WEVO discount. :) Keep an eye on mail call.

LOL... the salesman... I'll get you a better than WEVO discount... and then gives you the standard discount. [:D]

SINNER
24 August 2016, 19:38
Is that like when you raise the prices before a sale. Lol

fledge
24 August 2016, 23:01
Yeah yeah. Try not to be jealous.

It better ship soon regardless.

fledge
25 August 2016, 16:25
Got a shipping notification from SMOS through UPS, complete with tracking. So it looks like that part may be ironing out.

UWone77
26 August 2016, 16:22
I finally got my rail today. I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of their parts.

They are friendly to speak with on the phone, however, I had to follow up with them 3 times to get a tracking number on my rail. I will definitely purchase parts from them in the future.

They do need to be more responsive with their shipping, tracking, and communication. It took 3 weeks plus 3 days to get my rail, which in this day and age is an eternity. I am not sure what happened but it took over 2 weeks just to get my rail shipped.

When I got it, however, it was well packaged and in pristine condition. Very nice rail and works very nice with the receiver set. I think the fit and finish is better than my Noveske Gen 3 only because those receivers are cerakoted and the rail was anodized.

It's not perfect, but one thing you can do is register your address with UPS. That way when anyone sends anything to your address via UPS, you get a tracking notification from UPS.

SMOS didnt send me a tracking number from my last purchase, but UPS sent me the tracking number, so it worked out in the end.