PDA

View Full Version : Geissele Super Precision vs. NF Unimount...torque-less RTZ T&E, live fire

JGifford
24 August 2016, 09:02
Today I tested my Geissele and Nightforce "unimounts". I have two 1-4 NXS FC-2 reticle scopes, each mounted in the respective mounts.

I first tightened the Geissele mount to 65 inch-lb, and fired 6 shots---1 off target, and 5 in a group.
I then completely loosened the mount, and then tightened it with just my fingers, using my T-shirt to help me better grip the nut. I repeated the 6 shots as above.

I then did this for the Nightforce Unimount mounted Nightforce.

I used a front sand-bag, and sat at a bench. The weapon is a 16.1" CHF/CL barreled (factory) DDM4 with DD LITE rail, and Surefire 556-212 muzzle device. A Surefire 556-212 suppressor was installed for this test. Ammunition used was 5.56 "Browntip" as factory loaded for SOCOM (not a clone or handload. My rifle REALLY likes this stuff, along with 75gr Gold Dot, which I was out of.).

Below are the results of my testing. I aimed at the "bullseye" for each group, and did not compensate in any way for rounds impacting off-zero. I used 5-shot groups because if that is statistically insignificant to detect shift, then the shift was insignificant to anything you are going to shoot at within the effective range of the 5.56 caliber, in my OPINION.

http://i66.tinypic.com/nbt44o.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2my40wk.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/2nbgbk1.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2ajxlom.jpg

Joelski
24 August 2016, 14:08
So, use a T-shirt for increased accuracy? I like it.

The book for my sOOper mount said 1/4 turn past hand tight was g2g. Where did you see a torque rating?

DeviantLogic
24 August 2016, 14:19
After having played with the Geissele some now, what's you're overall opinion? Yay/Nay?

Right now the shift looks like it might be .5 MOA for both mounts? Would be nice to have more data points in the test though (ie 20-30 shots before, 20-30 shots after). It would increase the statistical confidence of the group centers before/after. Also would be able to see if overall group size is effected. It's hard to tell, but it appears that both of the after/"finger tight" groups may have opened up a hair.

Joelski
24 August 2016, 14:36
I don't have pics of my groups. I hate the glasses I was wearing and was sweating bacon grease, but I will freely admit my buddy shot better (because ot the aforementioned handicaps, of course :)). We zeroed at just over 50 yards, according to him. I had several 1" groups right off the bat, which I accept as a victory, being from a short range background and relatively new to magnified optics in general. By the 4th shot.. my so-called "friend" put a hote on each side of the crosshair in the ten ring. He's a good shot, but I will take credit for getting solid advice, or scorn for being cheap, and winding up with the gear I have on that rifle. I am 100% fully convinced the Geissele is as good as any other high dollar mount available, but I didn't have the ring issue with my mount like Mr. Gifford did. IMO, the finish is on par with the price tag; just as nice as the battle Kitty lower.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Pistols/RA-Recce/2016-08-222022.48.14.jpg~original

DeviantLogic
24 August 2016, 15:08
I'm going to be ordering a new mount in the next month. The Geissele is on the short list. Leaning towards the Badger UniMount...but I can be swayed. :)

Slippers
24 August 2016, 15:35
I'm going to be ordering a new mount in the next month. The Geissele is on the short list. Leaning towards the Badger UniMount...but I can be swayed. :)

I have three of the Badger Recon Unimounts on a Razor 1-6, NF 2.5-10x32, and Trijicon Accupower 1-4. Work great. I also have a NF Compact Magmount for my NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1.

The Recon Unimount reminds me of a Geissele, which is no coincidence. It was designed for the same contract. Very snug ring fit and the cantilever and height are similar.

NF mounts are usually lighter. I had one of the normal NF Ultralite Unimounts in the past and it was very nice, around 4 oz or so.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

JGifford
24 August 2016, 18:45
After having played with the Geissele some now, what's you're overall opinion? Yay/Nay?

Right now the shift looks like it might be .5 MOA for both mounts? Would be nice to have more data points in the test though (ie 20-30 shots before, 20-30 shots after). It would increase the statistical confidence of the group centers before/after. Also would be able to see if overall group size is effected. It's hard to tell, but it appears that both of the after/"finger tight" groups may have opened up a hair.

Over-all, I am very happy with the Geissele mount. I just think the machining on parts of it is very shoddy. My Bobro, for example, has ring-surfaces that are just as smooth as those of the body of my NF scope. There are no ridges, gouges, or un-finished edges ANYWHERE on my Bobro or Nightforce mounts. I get that the Geissele delivers, but at its price-point, I expect finish quality of a cheaper mount, at least, along with that.

Would I buy again? Maybe. But I still prefer the NF Mil-Spec Unimount, myself. I did not weigh my specific NF, but I believe my model is slated to weigh 5.4ish oz. The Geissele I weighed personally at 7.2. The Bobro, at 7.6. Don't miss out on the fact that I'm selling my Bobro in the member's classified's section...*shameless plug*

Joelski, during part of the mad pimping campaign Geissele kicked off for this mount, it was said that a group was fired with just the spotter holding the optic on the rifle, and no shift was seen. That is why I decided to try "Finger tight". If you read in your paperwork the sentence that follows the one you quoted me about torque, you will see that one is NOT to exceed 72 in-lb. 65 in-lb is almost industry standard (would be, except for NF being oddballs and spec'ing 68.)

BoilerUp
24 August 2016, 21:34
Why you dumping the Bobro? I love mine.

Given the narrative, I can't really see an shift in zero from those groups that I'd have any confidence in attributing to the hardware.

JGifford
24 August 2016, 22:42
Why you dumping the Bobro? I love mine.

Given the narrative, I can't really see an shift in zero from those groups that I'd have any confidence in attributing to the hardware.

I agree 100% with your assessment.
I feel that my Nightforce's chance of going TU is low enough that I'll save half an ounce. The reason I did not buy another Nightforce Unimount instead, is because I could not get ahold of another mil-spec version. I went with Geissele because I wanted slots on the hex nuts. Because why not?