PDA

View Full Version : what is your preferred handgun of choice?

n4p226r
25 August 2016, 04:06
glock 17/19 for me. the 19s require a trigger guard undercut or i can't comfortably grip it due to some hand surgeries but other than that they seem to work best for me. what works best for you?

DeviantLogic
25 August 2016, 04:33
You know it's like asking a fat kid what his favorite ice cream is, right? [BD]

n4p226r
25 August 2016, 06:43
yes. but deep down, he definitely has an answer

UWone77
25 August 2016, 06:52
I'm boring. I like 9mm Glocks. M&Ps too and HK VP9's

DeviantLogic
25 August 2016, 07:02
Not my EDC or nightstand gun...but my favorite shooter is an old Kimber 1911. It's like angels crafted the trigger just for my finger.

Txfilmmaker
25 August 2016, 09:24
M&P 9mm Glock 9mm. K.I.S.S. Love my Colt 1911 for a range gun. Trigger is super light. Don't sneeze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

din
25 August 2016, 18:36

That said, I pretty much only carry a G17 anymore. Pragmatism won out over the 1911's more esoteric qualities.

mustangfreek
26 August 2016, 14:27
Hi point....[BD]

Uffdaphil
26 August 2016, 16:14
Preferred for what use?

For carry: G19 because it conceals well and I can pack higher cap spares.
For defense at home with the lights on: VP9 because I shoot it better and have several spares at hand.
For HD when sleeping: G19 w/light, can and hi-cap mag.
For pure joy of shooting: 1911 TRP

Army203
27 August 2016, 13:49
Preferred- 1911 Dan Wesson V-bob. I have always been a 1911 guy and shoot it the best typically.

What I typically carry now. Sig 229 DAK .40 and Glock 26 9mm not my choice.

UWone77
28 August 2016, 07:53
Preferred- 1911 Dan Wesson V-bob. I have always been a 1911 guy and shoot it the best typically.

What I typically carry now. Sig 229 DAK .40 and Glock 26 9mm not my choice.

Dude.... a DAK in .40? That must be killing you. Issued?

Army203
28 August 2016, 08:26

Yup, the good thing is it sits most of day in a gun locker because I ride a desk 90% of the time [BD]. The only one I had control over was the Glock 26.

docsherm
28 August 2016, 13:32
If I could only one pistol it would have to be a Glock 23...... I like to mix it up and bring 40 Smith to the table, voluntarily..... ;)

fairlanericky
28 August 2016, 17:24
Sig 226 SAO for concealed/open carry.

Ric

Eric
28 August 2016, 17:38
Reminiscent of the Beretta 96D that was issued. I don't really miss carrying that.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Jerry R
29 August 2016, 12:47
Milk run ... Shield 9mm
Night on the town ... Les Baer Premier II 45

MoxyDave
1 September 2016, 13:29
Glock 9mm. 43 EDC w/TLR-6, 19 w/TLR-3 otherwise. Used to run the S&W Shield but I'm really liking the G43.

UWone77
2 September 2016, 09:51
Glock 9mm. 43 EDC w/TLR-6, 19 w/TLR-3 otherwise. Used to run the S&W Shield but I'm really liking the G43.

Finally ordered myself a Blue Label 43. Decided I finally had to replace the Kahr CW9. Good gun, shitty trigger.

DeviantLogic
2 September 2016, 11:33
Finally ordered myself a Blue Label 43. Decided I finally had to replace the Kahr CW9. Good gun, shitty trigger.

Of all people, can't believe you would carry a Kahr.

Joelski
3 September 2016, 06:19
I thought it was a drunk post. [emoji2]

Dstrbdmedic167
3 September 2016, 06:40
Glock 43 for when going concealed and 19 when I'm just carrying on the hip and not trying to conceal

cjd3
3 September 2016, 11:45
Springfield Armory XDm series. Of all the pistols I've tried in the years past, this worked the best for me me, especially since I shoot left handed. Now that RA has the MARS, I may look into a Glock 21. Too bad I just bought a new threaded XDm for my Rev can.

UWone77
3 September 2016, 11:50

What's wrong with a Kahr? Have you ever put a few thousand down the pipe?

Always been reliable and conceals very well.

Trigger never my favorite, but carrying it for a decade off-duty, never had to draw it.

alamo5000
3 September 2016, 12:11
I am a Sig fanboy. However lately I've started to also like some of Springfield's offerings. I recently shot an M&P (not sure which model) and that was not bad either.

I used to own a Kahr but I sold it for the sole reason that I hated the trigger.

Army203
3 September 2016, 12:55

Trigger never my favorite, but carrying it for a decade off-duty, never had to draw it.

I still enjoy my MK9, and in the 8+ years I have had it never had an issue. Kahr was doing small 9mm long before anyone else really. That trigger takes a lot of getting use too, but its a great DAO IMHO.

I need more trigger time on the G43 to make an opinion on them.

DeviantLogic
3 September 2016, 22:24

I've only known a couple people that have owned Kahr's, but both wound up having issues with them. I shot a few boxes of ammo though one several years ago, spread across a couple days at the range. Just remember it had several FTF's. Maybe I'm jaded.

alamo5000
3 September 2016, 22:40
I've only known a couple people that have owned Kahr's, but both wound up having issues with them. I shot a few boxes of ammo though one several years ago, spread across a couple days at the range. Just remember it had several FTF's. Maybe I'm jaded.

I owned one for quite a while chambered in .40. My impressions... well it's not even impressions because it just "was what it was".... I reloaded ammo that would work in 4 or 5 guns but when you put it in the Kahr it was a no go. Not a single round would work. I had to go back and adjust my dies slightly and after that no more failure to feed. I could run 200 rounds through it and not a problem.

In the particular gun I had the chamber tolerances were TIGHT. If you ran most factory ammo it was fine (note I said most) but for my reloads if you were off just a little... then it would not feed. I jacked around with that gun for a while then spent a week recrimping all my ammo...but after that no problem.

I learned to hate that damn trigger though. I changed out the trigger spring and that made it somewhat better but it never grew on me.

DeviantLogic
3 September 2016, 22:59

...also, considering the bling you normally bring to the table. The Kahr made me do a double take :)

MoxyDave
4 September 2016, 09:21

I think you're gonna like it man. I ran a PM9 for some years and I agree about the trigger. It was consistent, but I just couldn't shoot it well and I had some trouble with the top round falling out of my extra mag in my pocket. Even had the base plate come off one mag and all the rounds dumped out. Ended up spot-welding the base plate on ... decent gun but the Glock is definitely an improvement.

UWone77
4 September 2016, 15:24
...also, considering the bling you normally bring to the table. The Kahr made me do a double take :)

Ha... fair enough. I'm actually pretty vanilla when it comes to carry guns. Less is more for the most part. I think a lot of people have soured on Kahr's because their recent guns don't seem to run well. That's why I always ask people if they've ever shot one or just something they've heard. To be fair, I think the older guns (mine are 12-14 years old) ran much better than the recent production guns. Not sure where they went wrong.

I think you're gonna like it man. I ran a PM9 for some years and I agree about the trigger. It was consistent, but I just couldn't shoot it well and I had some trouble with the top round falling out of my extra mag in my pocket. Even had the base plate come off one mag and all the rounds dumped out. Ended up spot-welding the base plate on ... decent gun but the Glock is definitely an improvement.

I agree... 10 yards in, even with the shit trigger, I was money, when you got back to the 25 yard line, that's where everything went sketchy. I think I will enjoy the Glock 43 a lot more.

Aberration79
27 September 2016, 10:46
I really like my FNX-Tac. They should have made one in a 9mm too. I have never owned a Glock. I really like my modified XD-S, but I will probably trade it in on a Glock in the not too distant future. Mainly because of holster options. But I am buying into the 9mm/45 debate. Birthday coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTShooter
27 September 2016, 17:08
I favor a couple of different pistols. Originally I carried a S&W 559 (yeah, I'm that old), but it's big and heavy and hard to settle in concealed carry. I like my Taurus PT140 for casual carry, but it's not an ideal choice for a bunch of reasons.

I'm getting a very nice vibe from S&W's Compact M&P in .40. It's about the same size as the PT140, but there seems to be a lot better selection of holsters and such for it. And of course there aren't any safety issues with the S&W...[BD]

I've never managed to find a comfortable way to conceal my 1911 in a way that lets me sit down...which makes me sad. And I'm not a small guy.

I'm looking for a non-concealed rig for my G23, but I'm also saving my pennies for a G43.

My best friend has a couple of Kahrs. Never a lick of trouble (except the start up cost of course).

So my preferred handgun of choice is "it depends," but I have a pretty big selection to choose from. [:D]

Pyzik
10 October 2016, 05:20
S&W M&P.

I want to like Glock. I just don't. Not a stock grip anyway.
I did get to play with a G19 with a Boresite reduction and modified grip angle and loved it. I am not going to spend that much money on several carry guns though. I'm too invested with M&Ps at this point.

GOST
10 October 2016, 05:36
I don't own one yet but I got to play with a Canik tp9 and really liked it. The grip feels smaller than a Glocks, and the construction quality is excellent. The trigger is great, and the reset is almost as short as my Legion. I would upgrade the sights. The Canik is a great gun not even considering it's price, and at about $350 it's a steal.

FortTom
10 October 2016, 09:58
The gun I like is the best, and everyone else's suck, unless, of course it's the same as I like! Actually, if this were any other forum besides WEVO, the insults, elbows, spit and blood would already be flying. Want to really start a shit storm, go to a Harley forum and ask "what's the best brand of oil"?. But this is a much more civil forum and you can ask these kinds of questions.[:D]

For years, at least since 1975, my favorite "everything" gun was the 1911 and IMO nothing else mattered. When I saw the first Glock, outside of a magazine, it was at a private gun club in CA. A guy was generous enough to let me shoot a mag of ammo through his G17. My thoughts were "WTF", and it was quite a few years before I tried one again. Other than that, new guns started to flood the markets. The 1911 struggled to keep it's head above water, and today I know very few people that actually want or carry one.

I've got a couple of very nice custom house 1911's, and today still want to thumb that safety down when I draw a pistol, the result of thousands of practice draws, and actual rounds down the pipe.

Fast forward, I got tired of carrying a 2K 1911 in a $300 holster through a creek, fishing for trout, etc., and stepping in a 2 foot hole that turned out to be a six foot hole. Or sliding down a muddy bank, out in the woods, into said creek.

I flushed out my head and started re-evaluating my handgun needs. Glocks, too big for my hands and I don't like the compacts, but I've got a 19 and a 23, which a friend did some beautiful under cuts on the trigger guards, have custom stippled palm grips, which I use (small), and some other handy mods. Like them very well, and if they get scratched to hell, then who cares.

I've also sort of gotten back into the thumb safety days, especially with my M&P's. I have the FS 9mm, FS 40mm, and FS .45, all with Apex FSS triggers, which are a bit lighter than I like, slightly under 3lbs. The 9mm has a thumb safety, and having the .45 converted back to thumb.

A retired Marine firearms instructor, who now travels and trains corporate types in small arm self-defense told me that in his opinion, less than 30 percent of folks who have no external safety's, such as Glock, will ever reach the proficiency level to have a self-defense weapon with just a trigger safety and most have no business carrying them. Including LEO's and other "trained" shooters. Don't drop the flames here, that was him talking not me, but I do believe there is a bit of truth in there somewhere.

So my choice of handguns are not necessarily the best of the bunch, but what I'm comfortable with, and mostly what fits me well. I tried to buy a NIB Sig SAO Legion NIB for an unreal deal, but couldn't get to the seller before someone else did. I'd like have a SIG, if everyone of them didn't feel like they were built to fit guy's with baseball glove sized hands.

Bottom line, high dollar guns, for the sake of having one, doesn't mean much to me anymore. I have several in a safe, collecting dust. My M&P's, and Glock 19 and 23 serve me well. I live in an open carry state, so I don't have to drive all day with a gun poking me in the side, or opting for a compact. I'm pretty free to choose holster types, and carry modes, I think those are important to many of the members here who live in more restrictive states. Especially LEO's and such who carry all day long, all hours of the day.

Lastly, if 20 or 30 year ago, if you would asked if I'd even consider carrying a "plastic" gun, much LESS ONE in 9MM, I would have looked at you like you had a third eye in your forehead. But times, guns, equipment and especially ammo has changed, and so have I. And if I live long enough, if things evolve, I may stay where I am or change with the times.

FT[:D]

GOST
10 October 2016, 10:15
FT if you get a chance try the Canik, I think you will like it. The grip feels thinner like a 1911, and the trigger reach is also comparable.

FortTom
10 October 2016, 10:28
FT if you get a chance try the Canik, I think you will like it. The grip feels thinner like a 1911, and the trigger reach is also comparable. I'll have to settle with a website "test" of one. I haven't seen one. We have 3 gun stores here, and they pretty much stick with the "meat and potato" guns. Glocks to M&P's to SIG's, Kahrs, etc.

FT.

Pyzik
10 October 2016, 10:57
A friend bought a Canik early on. Other than the top decocker, it's a nice shooting gun. Decent trigger too.

UWone77
10 October 2016, 11:30
Glock needs an all metal frame Glock 17...just because [:D]

I enjoy a finely tuned 1911, but those usually cost a lot of coin. Golden age of 1911's though. Plenty of great 1911 smiths out there. I just like Glocks for their simplicity and the fact they run right out of the box for $400.

FortTom
10 October 2016, 11:37
Glock needs an all metal frame Glock 17...just because [:D]

I enjoy a finely tuned 1911, but those usually cost a lot of coin. Golden age of 1911's though. Plenty of great 1911 smiths out there. I just like Glocks for their simplicity and the fact they run right out of the box for $400.

That all metal Glock 17 should have an ambi thumb and a grip safety also, and of course a SA Trigger and custom gunsmith trigger job. But other than that, it should just be a Glock.[:D]

All kidding aside, If you really want a Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat custom house, or what ever, they are all over the place at half or less than their original cost. I have a Colt Delta Elite, that I sent to WC for an "everything" treatment, that I couldn't sell for half what it cost me, even though it's difficult to find any signs of use. Kimbers are a dime a dozen, and just the odd one off customs by one of the custom or expert gunsmiths are going for next to nothing, at least in our market.

FT[crazy]

Joelski
10 October 2016, 13:10
Les Baer Jackoff 9,000 FTW!!!

UW: other than having something else to work on and fine tune, boat anchors make a better sidearm in salty climes.

[:D]

din
10 October 2016, 17:48
So my choice of handguns are not necessarily the best of the bunch, but what I'm comfortable with, and mostly what fits me well. I tried to buy a NIB Sig SAO Legion NIB for an unreal deal, but couldn't get to the seller before someone else did. I'd like have a SIG, if everyone of them didn't feel like they were built to fit guy's with baseball glove sized hands.

FT[:D]

FT, have you considered growing larger hands?

FortTom
11 October 2016, 06:29
FT, have you considered growing larger hands?

Yeah, I started to once, but then I figured I'd have to buy all new gloves, so I said to hell with it.....

MoxyDave
11 October 2016, 10:34
Hey he needs those small hands to manipulate small ... objects!

FortTom
11 October 2016, 10:46
Hey he needs those small hands to manipulate small ... objects!
ha..ha... you're a funny guy, I'm going to kill you last![:D]

GOST
11 October 2016, 11:29
Small hands make your gun look bigger when holding it.

Corpsie
27 October 2016, 15:44
The Steyr M9A1 & I make a good team. Same with the L9A1

JMJ
30 August 2017, 08:30
Preferred: G20 cause it gives me more smiles per trigger pull, especially pop'n hogs. Tends to just be a woods gun for me.

Most carried for ccw: G22 grip chopped to G27 grip specs with full size mag and grip extension as a spare.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I really enjoyed reading this one and love this topic.

Stone
30 August 2017, 10:48
ha..ha... you're a funny guy, I'm going to kill you last![:D]

Now that's funny!!![:D]

XDM 4.5 9mm or my G17 gen4. I have beaten the shit out of both and they have both come back for more...

OneGearhead
7 January 2018, 07:50
You know it's like asking a fat kid what his favorite ice cream is, right? [BD]

Breyer's Cookies n Cream please! Lol

I own: Kahr CW9. Gen 3 G19. Ruger GP100, 4.25", .357 Mag in matte stainless. RIA 1911 Tactical in .45ACP.

Carry: Kahr or G19. I like the thinness of the Kahr, but 8+1 isn't exactly the optimal capacity. So, depends on my mood.
Pure pleasure: GP100 and 1911
Bedside: 1911

PJD642
7 January 2018, 12:46
G19 gen 4 at work with a G42 backup. 99% of the time a G43 when I'm off, or the G42 if I really want something smaller. Had a Kahr PM9, sold it simply because the trigger was so different than the Glocks. Wanted consistency across the board for muscle memory.