PDA

View Full Version : Double Barrel Shotgun Issue

Sak007
31 August 2016, 00:24
Iv'e got a buddy who has a very old double barrel shotgun model unknown and he says that it will fire when closing the break without pulling the trigger [wow]
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to old shotguns but I'm assuming it needs a good cleaning and possibly new firing pin springs but thought I'd come ask for some opinions and see if anyone had any insight or has had this problem .

UWone77
31 August 2016, 08:49
I'm no shotgun expert, but any firearm that shoots without pulling the trigger needs a professional gunsmith IMHO.

Eric
31 August 2016, 12:32
Definitely a gunsmith job. Especially given the age, an inspection for shootability would be in order. If it's an old Damascus barrel, it might just be a wall-hanger.

Joelski
31 August 2016, 13:20
Agree with Eric, except I think it already failed the test. Hang it over the fireplace and give it cool name like "Old Thunder Bum", cook up some glorious tale of dear old Great x3 Grandpappy settling the frontier and be done with it.

alamo5000
31 August 2016, 15:50
I come from a shotgun/skeet/clays whatever background but I am with everyone else. Take it to a gunsmith and have him look at it.

Odds are the problem could be something like the firing pin(s) are jammed and when you close the break it's kind of like a slam fire.

Without seeing it, looking at it, taking it apart or whatever there is no way to know... but said taking apart should be done by an actual gun smith in this case.