PDA

View Full Version : Storage while temporary moving to a ban state

n4p226r
2 September 2016, 18:22
Let's assume for whatever reason you had silencers and SBRs and you were temporarily moving from a state where NFA items were legal to another state where NFA items were legal but while waiting to buy a house in state B you needed to live in a state where NFA items were illegal. Let's assume it's more than 6 months but less than a year.

Would you be legal if you moved the items to a safe in a fourth state, where NFA items are legal at a friends house in a safe where only you had access or even if you put a few silencers in a safe deposit box in a different state? Do you fill out a form 20 as a permanent move or temporary basis for a year?

alamo5000
2 September 2016, 18:34
Although I've got no plans on moving to a ban state I have thought through it. For me I have another person in a permanent secure location on my trust so I can just leave whatever there and the thing is, that person doesn't even really shoot all that much.

I would also think a storage unit would be good provided everything can be secured. Unless you're named Uwone you won't need like 200 square feet to store things [:D]

I've never thought about the safe deposit box thing though. That would work quite well I think.

fledge
4 September 2016, 17:43
I wouldn't answer this without talking to my NFA attorney.

You can also write ATF and get an official letter. Even though ATF contradicts itself, having the letter will protect you.

UWone77
4 September 2016, 18:59
The only way I can see this working legally is if your friend was on your trust. I'd then fill out the proper forms with the ATF for the temporary move.

I'd consult an NFA attorney as well though. I'm not losing my NFA items over some technicality.

n4p226r
7 September 2016, 11:46
thanks. ill relay the info. adding the friend to the trust seemed to be the best idea.

Former11B
7 September 2016, 12:12
thanks. ill relay the info. adding the friend to the trust seemed to be the best idea.

Is there a way they can be added to the trust so they can legally possess them for storage purposes, but not have the ability to sell them?