PDA

View Full Version : An animal I just don't understand...

alamo5000
5 September 2016, 13:14
A few months ago I joined another firearms forum. I lurked about 95% of the time and only made a grand total of 4 or 5 posts all together...yet I find myself today suspended...

I didn't even start the original thread...I just responded to someone else's thread which was something along the lines of "are you seeing signs or more panic buying" and "Which items are going to go first...ammo.... magazines..." and they had a whole list of stuff...

I merely responded with something like 'if Hillary wins it's still going to depend on the outlook of congress but one can't be too careful"... the whole thing was 2-3 sentences long...

But as it turns out the animal I don't understand is the gun owning Democrat. I just don't get it.

The mods on that other forum went through the roof and suspended and/or banned me and everyone who was even remotely questioning Hillary.

Another guy posted something like 'If Hillary gets elected she's going to try and put someone on the SCOTUS that will harm gun rights'.... he got nuked as well. As did a whole bunch of other people.

As for forums go... I can understand that they should principally be based around their subject matter... photography should be about photography... finger painting should be about finger painting... and guns should be about guns... I understand that forums don't want to see things digress into nonsense and fighting or whatever...

But in this case it's clear that they were taking action on their 'non political forum' against people who didn't agree with them politically.

I seriously don't understand though the hardcore Democrat gun owner. Maybe I am isolated here in Texas where that stuff doesn't even come up.

I get the idea that there may be other issues where someone might be attracted one way or another. One person might believe in legal weed and the other not... but when it comes to firearms and the constitution one would think it's pretty clear cut in the gun community that we need to make a stance. Even finding a pro gun Democrat... fine...alright... I get it...

But I really don't understand the dynamics of all that especially among those who are supposedly representing large populations of the gun community proactively targeting people who even indirectly question their woman for POTUS.

/Rant Off

Tyrannosaur
5 September 2016, 16:41
I wanna get banned... what forum was it, PM me. I'll stir the pot

UWone77
5 September 2016, 17:31
This is how most forums run. You piss off one person, you get banned. No warning, no discussion of positions, you're just done.

Liberal Gun owners, almost an oxymoron. I find that most liberals I know that are gun owners are just have a passing interest. They may have a pistol or a shotgun and claim they are staunch 2A supporters. Other liberals just seem to care that they have theirs before the ban.

alamo5000
5 September 2016, 17:58
This is how most forums run. You piss off one person, you get banned. No warning, no discussion of positions, you're just done.

Liberal Gun owners, almost an oxymoron. I find that most liberals I know that are gun owners are just have a passing interest. They may have a pistol or a shotgun and claim they are staunch 2A supporters. Other liberals just seem to care that they have theirs before the ban.

I had a total of 32 combined posts with about 2/3 of those on one thread (about suppressors)... I started three threads with one of those being an introduction.

Their forum is pretty damn boring though to be honest so I'm not missing much.

We are fortunate around here IMO. Every now an again we get a Gucci asshole that really does need to be banned but for the most part we stay on topic without being phobic if someone mentions something that isn't neatly within the handbook.

Like I said though, it baffles me that we have people who adamantly are so left they are almost right...

It makes me wonder that among the industry as a whole just how pervasive that kind of bullshit really is.

Joelski
5 September 2016, 18:42
A lot of forum moderators develop a "Hive Mind" when it comes to their beliefs and if you challenge those beliefs, you are an asshole, beyond a shadow of a doubt, no ifs ands or buts. What surprises me is that a liberal (gun owner or not) could be put in charge of riding herd over actual 2A supporters. Was it the place known lovingly as TOS? [;)]

UWone77
5 September 2016, 18:58
I still read M4c, but the hive mind there are generally dicks to new people IMHO. They all just tell them to use the search button and give no further direction. I guess it's tiresome to repeat the same topics over and over, but new people have to start somewhere.

I quit arfcom for the most part. It's just painful, but I do enjoy Mark LaRue trolling all the Geissele threads for entertainment.

Joelski
5 September 2016, 19:32
If a new guy tells me he looked all over and can't find the answer to his question, I will try to enthusiastically and energetically help him or her find what they're looking for, exchange some nice dialogue and that's how a believer is born! Nothing can achieve, or maintain a great rep once the members start eating their young.

alamo5000
5 September 2016, 19:51
All I can say is this is the only firearm forum that I belong to. I came here (credit where credit is due) because Stickman was just a really awesome guy to me on Facebook. I got to marginally get to know him (and Chris Tran I think is his name)... both of those guys I still give major props to. They tell it like it is but they don't have an attitude that turns people off. I think it takes a certain type that can shepherd people that are willing to learn.

I've tried to go to other forums a long time ago and pretty much ran across the Angry Old Man™ and the dude who knew everything about guns because he plays call of duty or because his uncle went to Vietnam.

Basically put there are plenty of dicks out there and they almost all show up on the internet.

fledge
5 September 2016, 21:50
I still read M4c, but the hive mind there are generally dicks to new people IMHO.

I generally have the same opinion. I go there for info and for the EE. The tone here on WEVO is much more inviting. That's why I hang around. Btw, where's the support link here?

Deadwing
13 September 2016, 01:47
Most of the liberals i know don't own any guns, not even toy guns for their kids. Of the liberals i know that do own guns, they own exactly one, and they keep locked away in a closet were it'll do them no good should they ever need to access it quickly. In most cases, they own pump action shotgun (with a 28" barrel that would make it pretty awkward to use in the home) because "just racking the action will scare off an intruder". Most have probably never fired the gun they own, and certainly have no intention of telling their children that they own a gun, let alone instruct them how to safely handle and use it. I think it's more of a "feel good" purchase for them, rather than an investment in the protection of themselves or their families. They get to say that they own a gun and support the Second Amendment, despite voting yes on every pro-gun control, anti-2A politician or piece of legislation that comes along. All of them think the Second Amendment applies to muskets and hunting, and they all believe that you're a "gun nut" if you have more than 2 firearms and more than a couple boxes of ammo for each one. I've even had a few unfriend me on facebook, etc. because they disagree with my stance on the Second Amendment, and they get their panties in a twist when guns are the subject of conversation in the workplace, which i find highly amusing.

DeviantLogic
13 September 2016, 03:37
I really don't like talking politics with anybody. It never seems to lead to a productive conversation.

The few liberal friends that I do have seem to have taken an interest in buying firearms lately, and talking about getting CC permits. Not sure why...maybe they're turning a new leaf. I just try to emphasize that they need to familiarize themselves with it, continue to shoot over time, and enjoy it. Heck, I'd be happy to have a new shooting buddy...I don't care what your political views are.

voodoo_man
13 September 2016, 05:51
Generally speaking I won't frequent forums who have been known to censor anyone in any way. I post photos on a few forums I don't post non-photo posts, that's about it. Forums I don't post anything other than photos - m4c, arfcom, defensivecarry and USN. They will censor your posts if they don't conform to the hive and I have no reason contribute otherwise. Places I dont post anything else other than a review - primaryandsecondary which is in it for the money not the content, so they get nothing from me, I might even stop posting reviews there.

Places I frequently post on here and pistol-forum. Because the admin are good and the general membership is fantastic.

Places I've quit - paragonpride, TPI, and a few others (which I can't remember right now...) simply because they have horribly polarized membership and the moment you go against the grain you get nuked instantly.

This is all in the last two years, there are of course many more forums out there that I've stopped participating in because of random things. For example snipers hide is a place I used to lurk but since they got bought by that Canadian company I stopped going. In fact any forum owned/bought by that company will be ignored by me.

Whatever forum it is please post the url, we shouldn't be afraid of causing some waves.

GOST
13 September 2016, 06:03
We all make mistakes, including all forums. Some make more than others, and some are more thin skinned than others. Hell, I had to ban myself for the last 2/3 of the year. The problem with forums is that we are not responsible for what we post in most part, it's like we get Hillary privileges.

Joelski
13 September 2016, 13:16
I really don't like talking politics with anybody. It never seems to lead to a productive conversation.

The few liberal friends that I do have seem to have taken an interest in buying firearms lately, and talking about getting CC permits. Not sure why...maybe they're turning a new leaf. I just try to emphasize that they need to familiarize themselves with it, continue to shoot over time, and enjoy it. Heck, I'd be happy to have a new shooting buddy...I don't care what your political views are.

I told Jeff Randall he didn't want religion or politics as topics of conversation on his forum and now he's just finishing switching to his second forum that he and Mike Perrin pay to operate after the first one was overrun with bullshit, passive-aggressive flame wars. Prior to those topics, the forum was a smaller group of knife enthusiasts that was like sitting around a campfire with friends; kind of like the way it is here. The politics and religion brought out a greater percentage of lurkers with increasingly snarky comments and once you invite polarizing topics, every single group of adults turn into babies, arguing their way is better. For clarity, look at the last democratic fillibuster on gun control; petulant brats who sat on the floor wiht their lower lip stuck out, refusing to do anything until everybody agreed once again to enact laws that have existed for years.

BTW: there is a political, bitching/moaning forum on the new forums, but now the whole site is moderated, which didn't need to be done before the snark moved in and stunk the old place up. Best way in the world to drive off knowledgeable posters who don't want to wade through the BS to get to good threads.

Former11B
14 September 2016, 05:03
. They may have a pistol or a shotgun and claim they are staunch 2A supporters. Other liberals just seem to care that they have theirs before the ban.

This is the "I support the 2nd Amendment, But........." crowd. Fudds are very close to this. They have had shotguns and hunting rifles for decades, but never learned the "Why" behind ownership, simply use them for hunting and nothing else.

alamo5000
14 September 2016, 07:29
A few points...

When it comes to forums I think 'self censorship' should be sort of encouraged. Everybody has run across them... those people who are just very unpleasant to deal with even when they are wrong. It might be attacking people, flame wars, know it alls, plain old assholes, or whatever. As a general rule keeping the topic on the topic isn't a bad thing. I've been on sites where they allowed religious debates and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. What ended up was a huge fight and people got offended and it spilled over across the board so after that only people with certain religious views that met up with 'the hive' were accepted...obviously I dislike that kind of thing. If the Baptists take over but a Methodist shows up that's no reason to ban the Methodist, or even make them feel unwelcome through snide or rude comments.

But for the gun community as a whole to say 'politics' is off limits entirely is ridiculous. I'm not saying get a day-to-day rundown on things but it's something that directly impacts us.

Take for example that recent thread here:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?9424-WTF-Ammo-prices-to-skyrocket

Well that is directly relevant to us as a community, but on Rimfire Central you run high odds of being banned for political speech if you posted that and/or anyone questions the Obama Administration, the ATF, or bitches about the NFA.

At the very least they will remove your post and if you question it (as I did) you get nuked. It's a best heavy handed but for the gun community to be forced to be unaware because of a stupid and rigid forum rule that impacts or could impact everyone. The minute anyone there says 'the Obama Administration' or whatever it's classified as political speech and subjected to heavy censorship and deletion.

As for the gun loving Democrat--- I get it--- people might be swayed all kinds of ways on social issues but there are some who don't believe that guns=crime and that criminals are the problem, not the hardware they select to terrorize the community. I see those types "Blue Dog" or whatever you want to call em more middle of the road. They are using more common sense when it comes to firearms, law enforcement, gun laws, or whatever. At the end of the day it really does boil down to weird views on crime, criminals, and law enforcement.

But there is a wacky crowd that says 'you don't need (insert model and make here)'... and then you have those who might have shot a gun twice in their life (Joe Biden) standing up proclaiming the virtues of shotguns or whatever. These people are talking out of both sides of both of their faces.

They spout off about guns being the cause of crime in Chicago, they want to pick people for the SCOTUS that will overturn gun law, they want expensive and useless registries, they ignore the dividing line between the criminal element and legit law abiding gun owners and they want to force everyone to live by a different set of rules because of their perverted views on criminals and gangs. IE Let's make Farmer Bob go through a 10 day wait to buy a shotgun, and get a background check to get a case of #8 bird shot all because some gang banging black kids in Chicago are shooting each other over drug dealing turf....

All in all... I just dislike all that bullshit.

GOST
14 September 2016, 09:05
Is that a post or short story?[:D]

alamo5000
14 September 2016, 11:02
More like a rant... LOL

Axlnut
3 November 2016, 10:29
It's nice to see others that have had the same experience as I also migrated away from Arfcom and M4C. This place has a much nicer tone. It's still a forum, it still seems to have an "in" crowd - the difference is they are welcoming here.

The other two.. I'm mostly a lurker, I prefer to read than to post - correction to that.

I prefer to read when I can learn, post when I can share knowledge

Unfortunately on too many forums post count = SME, each time I would try to give corrective information I ended up in an argument.

Tyrannosaur
3 November 2016, 12:58
After years of reading articles and filtering through the opinions instead of facts I joined arfcom... I did it solely for the EE. I comment here and there and it's not well received... I'll hang here and buy there

MoxyDave
3 November 2016, 13:39
My first post on ARFCOM got me banned [:)]

Joelski
3 November 2016, 13:42
SCREW RIMJOB CENTRAL!!! Where's my ban hammer, I'll show those neocon pussies!

Oh wait... I'm not a moderator. Or even a moderate drinker! [:D]

This is your average T/1, HSLD Operator (C.O.D.) from other forums:

http://images.memes.com/meme/944020

So, yeah... One or two other places are pretty square, but I'll take this place any day. Thanks for having my know-nothing, cellphone picture taking, no good self. [:)]

GOST
3 November 2016, 13:56

You beat me.

Deadwing
4 November 2016, 01:29

Nicely done!

MoxyDave
4 November 2016, 12:02
I wasn't even being dickish; I said something mildly controversial, correcting someone else ... and BAM! Those toolbags can't take any kind of criticism.

FortTom
4 November 2016, 15:09
I didn't get banned. More like shunned, and told to get my head out of my ass, NOOB! for simply stating I've never had a problem with a high quality NIB BCU. Verbally, I got the shit beat out of me for that one sentence that, as far as I can tell, is about as controversial and adversarial as a basket of puppies. On M4C, I think it was.

Turns out that the "Queen Bee" of the hive, works for a company that uses another proprietary coating for BCU's. The hive attacked like a thousand loyal bees, basically, for daring to even broach the subject. I also like it when some faggot pizza faced kid calls me a NOOB!, but doesn't have a clue or even consider that I might not be. P.S. I don't have an association with anyone who manufactures or coats BCU's with anyone, using anything, and I don't sell the shit either, so I definitely didn't have a dog in that fight.

Other places are like a battle field. There is no content, just verbal combat and the chaos of a battlefield. Continuous attacks on top of attacks on top of more attacks. Hundreds of threads of them.

My take on forums like that is I probably wouldn't like them in person, either, so FUKEM and feed 'em cheese. The internet is a big place, lots of other places to go.

As far as the "use the search button Noob!", I see it's pretty prevalent in the "whore house" forums. Hell, I know how to use the search button here, and I still have to ask questions, that have probably been asked before, and have NEVER been admonished, well maybe under someone's breath, but not publicly humiliated in the forum. I usually get an answer and/or a link.

FT[:D]

Axlnut
4 November 2016, 15:17
FortTom I'm with you on the search button - if every question was searched and answered via a 2009 thread, where would new findings and information go, and what content WOULD get posted to engage the members?

It's like the rescue dog thing - we're all supposed to buy dogs from rescues, spay and neuter them, and drive the breeders out of business..
Well with no breeders, in a generation or two their won't be any dogs to rescue.

With no one re-engaging new people on topics that may feel re-hashed, there will eventually be no new content, and no forum.

FortTom
4 November 2016, 15:25
I wasn't even being dickish; I said something mildly controversial, correcting someone else ... and BAM! Those toolbags can't take any kind of criticism.

MD,
That was your mistake. If you're going to be a dick, don't be "dickish", be a total dick. Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast and cheat if you have to (my motto) and what I want on the plaque below the bronze statue of myself to be erected next to Abe Lincoln, upon my demise....[:D]

FortTom
4 November 2016, 15:49
FortTom I'm with you on the search button - if every question was searched and answered via a 2009 thread, where would new findings and information go, and what content WOULD get posted to engage the members?

It's like the rescue dog thing - we're all supposed to buy dogs from rescues, spay and neuter them, and drive the breeders out of business..
Well with no breeders, in a generation or two their won't be any dogs to rescue.

With no one re-engaging new people on topics that may feel re-hashed, there will eventually be no new content, and no forum.

Congratulations, "POST OF THE DAY".

GOST
4 November 2016, 16:32
You guys just like this forum cause the moderators and administrators here are lazy.

Axlnut
4 November 2016, 16:38
You guys just like this forum cause the moderators and administrators here are lazy.

It's true :-)

I think it's more the mods and admins engage with the users WITHOUT a superiority complex

FortTom
4 November 2016, 16:47

Rumor has it someone has to occasionally poke you in the eye with a stick, just to see if you're still breathing....

FortTom
5 November 2016, 15:38
It's true :-)

I think it's more the mods and admins engage with the users WITHOUT a superiority complex
Nah, if GOST put down his cognac and cigar, he'd probably start bitching at us all[:D]

Thompson
6 November 2016, 20:43
Rumor has it someone has to occasionally poke you in the eye with a stick
Don't you mean pickle?