PDA

View Full Version : Go Bag / Vest - First Aid Supplies....

zero7one
15 March 2009, 22:13
What do you carry? What should we carry? I would like an open and honest discussion of what you think that we should carry in our "Go Bag / Vest".

As for me, it is a constant work in progress. Currently I am running a "TAC-PACK" Emergency First Aid Kit (includes; latex-free gloves, roll bandage, gauze, abdominal pad, N-95 respirator mask, triangular bandage, tape, occlusive dressing, and CPR Microshield), a pair of emergency-type scissors, extra tape, extra gauze, extra gloves, and extra abdominal pads. Like I said, it is still a work in progress and I would like to add in some Quikclot.

As for the "TAC-PACK", Tactical Tailor introduced it to me and I think it is a great concept. You have everything that you would normally carry with you, vacuum sealed in a quite small package. I was carrying it around with me in my jumpsuit pocket without any problems. See the Tactical Medical Packs web page (http://www.tacticalmedicalpacks.com/) for more info. They do have some other products that include Quikclot and some other sometimes needed supplies. I believe that TT may start selling the "TAC-PACK" in the near future. I have already got the buzz going on at work and with one of our safety officers.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww265/zero7one/2009_03_15_IMG_8182.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww265/zero7one/2009_03_15_IMG_8183.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww265/zero7one/2009_03_15_IMG_8187.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww265/zero7one/2009_03_15_IMG_8189-1.jpg

rob_s
16 March 2009, 03:36
I like the concept of the pre-packaged kits, but the contents do not merit the cost. Basically what you're paying for is the packaging and for someone to vacuum seal it. If you have, or have access to, a vacuum sealer you can make your own kit(s) for much less and with the contents you want.

Stickman
16 March 2009, 13:03
Rob,

Agreed, the packaging is obviously a large part of it.

However, when you are looking at a unit or agency purchase, it makes sense. You aren't going to get anyone vacuum packing individual parts or packs.

For individuals, it makes sense to be as prepared as possible, and in many cases, people don't even have a basic first aid kit, never mind going out and grabbing additional items and setting them up.

The largest thing that I see missing is Quick Clot, or a similar item. In every shooting, stabbing, massive auto wreck, or similar event, I've sat back and watched. Medical teams are arriving, and are working on people as soon as I say the scene is secure. Yes, I've stood there and watched people die, life sucks. There is a context I'm speaking about here, but I think its important to note.

A med-kit like we are talking about here is something that I look at as using on myself, or on another Officer when we are pinned down and no help is coming. A kit that is carried in the car means little for me, though I do have all the mandated items. If I need to do first aid, it means that the option of returning to my car is gone, and if I can get out of the situation, I'm running away from the fight.

We've seen over and over that in an active shooter scene, the first officers on scene are forming a quick EAP, and are using it immediately. Once the threat is taken out, the scene still needs to be secured, and fire/ rescue teams aren't going to come in until its safe.

I've got a good friend who was on one of the larger AS scenes, and he held in place for hours. People who needed medical treatment were pulled out as good as could be expected, but it wasn't pretty, and it wasn't quick.

I guess my thought is that anything is better than nothing, and we need to assess what our needs are. If you are working in a remote area and are lacking support, I would hope you have a decent amount of medical equipment with you.

rob_s
16 March 2009, 13:46
I guess my thought is that anything is better than nothing,

Agree completely, and understand re: the agency issue concern with trying to individually pack 100, or 1000, kits.

Trauma care is a recent interest of mine, and I've been accumulating gear so that I can learn for myself about the relative benefits of various supplies. (I've even started putting together a section of my site for it) I know that not everyone will do this, and that there is a benefit at the admin level to having everyone on the same page and using the same gear, just like cars, radios, guns, etc. and that this feature in and of itself has value.

tac40
21 March 2009, 10:33
Am I cheap, but I usually bug the paramedics and grab a butch of stuff off their rigs and stash it in my bag. Just a thought.

Stickman
21 March 2009, 12:26
tac40,

My department decided that they needed to save money, and a few years back they made us sign out latex gloves. Thankfully the Fire guys were always good to me and would throw me a box whenever I needed one.

Nice thing about a busy district is that Fire calls for priority backup on a semi regular basis, and they always appreciate a judicious enforcement of their rights. ;)