PDA

View Full Version : Battle Arms Developement ARCHITEK Front Sight

GOST
13 September 2016, 15:28

Brownells proudly offers a new AR-15 front sight, the Battle Arms Development ARCHITEK™, #100-019-664. Available exclusively from Brownells, the sight retails for $89.99.

Designed for shooters who prefer using iron sights, the ARCHITEK™ simply clamps onto a standard AR-15 barrel between .735" and .750" in diameter, and extends the sight radius to the maximum length possible. It works on rifles without the traditional front sight tower gas block.

It also compensates for any variances in free-float handguard design or installation, or flexing due to firing or sling pressure that could cause imperfect sight alignment. Precision machined from billet aluminum, the ARCHITEK™ is strong but weighs only 1.3 oz. to help keep the rifle balanced and fast-handling.

"We are very pleased to offer our latest product, the ARCHITECK, exclusively through Brownells," said George Huang, President/CEO of Battle Arms Development. "There is a long working history with Brownells since the early days of Battle Arms Development, and we are honored to be involved in this project."

The front sight post is thinner than the typical A2-style post and won't obstruct targets at long ranges. Modeled after the AK-47 front post, the ARCHITEK™ front post allows adjustments with a set of standard pliers, or an AK-47 front sight tool.

Merchandise Manager Paul Levy demonstrated the ARCHITEK™ in a video filmed at the Big Springs range complex.

http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/New-Products-Week-in-Review-9-1-16/detail.htm?lid=17361

Customers can order an ARCHITEK™ front sight from Brownells.com, or call 800-741-0015.

Aragorn
13 September 2016, 21:51
Aluminum? Seems like a bad idea...

UWone77
13 September 2016, 22:15
I think most people would prefer a FSB if they wanted to shoot irons.

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
13 September 2016, 22:21
Eiffel Tower, very cool thats what I've been missing.

GOST
14 September 2016, 04:55
I think most people would prefer a FSB if they wanted to shoot irons.

You're probably right, probably aimed at a very limited market. May be the reason it's a Brownells exclusive.

Joelski
14 September 2016, 07:16
Ultra light doesn't always mean pleasing to the eye. It seems an odd combination for something you spend time looking at/through.

Eric
14 September 2016, 07:44
Exposed clamp on sight would be a no-go for me in a duty/defensive carbine.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Slippers
14 September 2016, 08:26
A properly designed clamp can generate enough force to not be a liability. The main question with something like this is just how durable the protective ears are around the sight post. I've seen the DD front sights take an impact and bend or even break, for instance.

Joelski
14 September 2016, 12:39
A properly designed clamp can generate enough force to not be a liability. The main question with something like this is just how durable the protective ears are around the sight post. I've seen the DD front sights take an impact and bend or even break, for instance.

Although not a frequent thing, there's been enough account of breakage that I wouldn't want a non-folding sight unless it was steel.

Duffy
14 September 2016, 13:36
Vltor had demonstrated a properly designed and installed clamp on gas block/front sight can withstand a lot of torque before rotating, actually I think they never did manage to rotate it, the barrel extension came out before their clamp on gas block/sight rotated, so I'm sure BAD can do likewise.

fledge
14 September 2016, 15:06
This looks perfect for a tricked out BAD space gun that needs a Death Star accessory. If only it had a laser out the front of it.

Sodbuster
14 September 2016, 15:11
I like the idea but it's kind of homely. It should be made of steel. And maybe have the same profile as a front sight base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWone77
14 September 2016, 21:57
https://youtu.be/gl6JOkmPXRU

Duffy
15 September 2016, 11:47
It doesn't look as bad as the sight standing by itself, I think it looks pretty good once it's installed on an AR. I don't shoot irons much, only in training now and then to make sure the sights are dialed in, otherwise, like many, I install the backup sights and promptly forget about them.

Does the extra 3 to 4 inches make that much difference?

fledge
15 September 2016, 13:23
If they did, we'd all suck with pistols.

I think the only practical argument for it is in the video: if your handguard bends. The front sight on the barrel keeps the sight plane. Same argument for FSB.

The only other reason I see for it is if you forgot to install a handguard on your rifle and you gotta go operate right now.

GOST
15 September 2016, 13:38
Could be used as a lighter option for those wanting a Kino style upper.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12%20kd.htm

Txfilmmaker
15 September 2016, 15:44
I'm still new to the AR, but I found moving my front sight closer (not further out) made it easier and faster to line it up with the aperture. I think mine is about 14.25" from the rear sight. It gives me a better sense of where center is located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlnut
15 September 2016, 17:36
If they did, we'd all suck with pistols.

I think the only practical argument for it is in the video: if your handguard bends. The front sight on the barrel keeps the sight plane. Same argument for FSB.

The only other reason I see for it is if you forgot to install a handguard on your rifle and you gotta go operate right now.

I disagree wholeheartedly, as generally speaking, we DO all suck with pistols. Sight radius is a very big deal when shooting irons out to the ranges that our rifles are capable.

Niche product, but like any good niche product, it truly does solve a few specific needs.

fledge
15 September 2016, 21:25
I disagree wholeheartedly, as generally speaking, we DO all suck with pistols. Sight radius is a very big deal when shooting irons out to the ranges that our rifles are capable.

Niche product, but like any good niche product, it truly does solve a few specific needs.

It's been debated as infinitum that sight radius on standard sized pistols is negligible for pistol distances. Even SBRs already have a sufficient sight radius. The limiting factor is eyesight: seeing the target. Make a 15" or 36" long sight radius with irons, I'm still only comfortable out to 200yds though my rifles go way beyond that with optics.

That said, I like innovation and risk taking for new products. The market decides if it succeeds.

Duffy
16 September 2016, 07:35
I would have put a bayonet lug underneath it [BD]

Calico Jack
24 September 2016, 04:31
How would you center it?

Slippers
24 September 2016, 05:01
How would you center it?

Center the sight over the barrel? Same as you do it for a national match rifle, which normally has an adjustable front sight base.

You center your rear sight windage, then zero the rifle by adjusting the front sight side-to-side. Takes a little guesswork but not too difficult.