PDA

View Full Version : Another moose hunt down in the books.

cjd3
13 September 2016, 23:43
We had another great moose hunt up here in Alaska. We lucked out with great beginning weather to get the moose moving. Then a few days later I found a nice 53" bull and took him with one shot at 200 yards. Not bad with a .30-06. The Omega performed great, and my hunting buddy liked it a lot (no ringing ears).
We think he was probably around 1200 pounds in weight, and 1000 pounds of meet on bone flown out (he was one of two this season for our group).
Rifle is a Savage 111 Lefty chambered in .30-06.
Cabala's Instinct Euro Scope (Meopta MeoPro) 3-9x40 (Very clear glass and great at low light.)
Hand-loads were 58 grains of RL22 behind 180 gr Nosler Partitions generating about 2715-2750 FPS.
SilencerCo Omega kept the volume down. Flash hider ASR mount was used for transportation and piece of mind for keeping it tight. Removed the brake arnd put on a flat endcap to keep the length down.

http://i.imgur.com/e7zwwBd.jpg (http://imgur.com/e7zwwBd)

Joelski
14 September 2016, 03:42
Nice animal!

UWone77
14 September 2016, 10:58
Wow.... that's a big beast.

Joelski
14 September 2016, 12:40
Good eats too, though pretty much all wild game summer sausage makes me shit like a thoroughbred! [:D]

cjd3
14 September 2016, 13:13
A lot of burger, sausage, and steaks coming in the next few weeks. Our processor makes some great summer sausage that keeps you from high tailing to the restroom. This will easily help feed the families of the 6 hunters, alongside the other smaller bull we harvested a few days later.

fledge
14 September 2016, 15:09
Congrats! Is moose similar to elk in flavor/tenderness?

cjd3
14 September 2016, 15:34
Congrats! Is moose similar to elk in flavor/tenderness?
It's been a while since I've had elk, but I'd say it's leaner that beef, and milder than elk. This moose seemed to be in great shape judging by its liver.

alamo5000
14 September 2016, 15:44
That looks great!

Man, I'm hungry as hell right now too! [:D]

SwissyJim
15 September 2016, 15:43
Nice! Better luck than I had... only bull I saw was a nice, 40 inch (I had an any bull tag) that was 100 yards from me, broadside, and pissed as hell with me calling him in and teasing him. Only he was on the wrong side of the water I could not get across and not matter how hard i tried, I could not call him over. So no shot. Was pretty cool to see the results of my calling tho... had him all in a tizzy.

cjd3
15 September 2016, 20:33
We call wrong side of the water "out of season". Some of our group found a serious big ole burger moose, at least 60" if one wasn't already broken. They called and he tried to get to them, but then he winded a cow, and wasn't interested anymore. It would have taken a chopper to get him back to camp.

Former11B
16 September 2016, 07:25
We call wrong side of the water "out of season". Some of our group found a serious big ole burger moose, at least 60" if one wasn't already broken. They called and he tried to get to them, but then he winded a cow, and wasn't interested anymore. It would have taken a chopper to get him back to camp.

I was googling some handload threads the other day and saw a guy who shot an Elk from 300yds with a 75gr Hornady BTHP from a suppressed AR....with an aimpoint. It was on the other side of a lake. I wouldn't have taken the shot at that distance across a lake with that rifle OR bullet.

I've had elk, caribou, bison, but never moose.

I'm hoping to get into the woods this weekend....but only whitetail and coyotes. No Moose here!

SINNER
16 September 2016, 07:44
Nice kill. Lots of eating on that monster.

Heading out to Idaho in a few weeks for an elk hunt. Meat trip so I'm hoping for a nice fat cow. High mountain hunt so the Bulls will be rutted up and unless a 375" monster shows up I'm looking for good eats.

Silencer Shop
16 September 2016, 09:58
Great job. I was going to try for a moose this year but it wasn't in the cards. I had other trips come up that I couldn't pass.