PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's project: Fitting a pistol barrel

alamo5000
14 September 2016, 20:51
I have a CZ75B that I finally decided to give a go as a secondary suppressor host. About a year ago I bought a threaded replacement barrel directly from CZ. Believe me... it was a pain in the ass because for whatever reason because those specific threaded barrels aren't in stock very often (or at least weren't)... I had to get on a waitlist for quite a while to pick one up.

Well this evening to my dismay I dropped the barrel in but the slide would not lock forward. After examining and looking and comparing with a known barrel I finally figured out that my barrel wasn't seating all the way in the slide itself.

Anyway after more hunting and examining and looking I finally figured out where and how it was binding. Anyway long story short I took to google and this is one of the things I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9HJMPF9v4

After about an hour worth of work with a file and a whet stone I can say for sure that my barrel now fits. The slide goes forward into full battery and the interference points are all gone. Everything seems perfect. Tomorrow I will do the final step which is to test fire it but all indications are good to go.

I will let you guys know if a CZ 75B is a decent suppressor host tomorrow. [:D]

Anyway that's a quick rundown on my first ever fitting of a pistol barrel. Every other time I just dropped it in and it ran like a champ... but this time I had to make it fit. I guess CZ has their reasons why their replacement barrels aren't truly 'drop in' but it's good information to know that it's all fixable.

SINNER
14 September 2016, 21:39
All CZ75 barrels require fitting. Some require much more work than others. I have two with the factory threaded barrels I installed. I have also had a 6" factory barrel cut and threaded. The thin .50 barrel diameter and lack of a shoulder caused issues with a AAC can that threaded down so far it pushed the slide out of battery. They make excellent supressor hosts but no where near as say as a Glock barrel swap.

alamo5000
15 September 2016, 07:07
I have always liked that gun but this is the first time I have ever had to fit a barrel on one. It was quite simple to do but it was still a project. If everyone else can make barrels that drop right in without having to go through all that, why can't CZ? I guess they are still using 1975 technology to produce them?

For back then it would have been considered 'excellent' but for right now it just is what it is I guess.

Are there any other models of handguns from CZ that require this or is it limited to the 75 line? What about other brands of guns?

SINNER
15 September 2016, 07:46
Um, any decent 1911...

UWone77
15 September 2016, 09:01
Um, any decent 1911...

Doesn't even have to be decent!

If you want a project build yourself a 1911. Rivals an AR as far as options available.

alamo5000
15 September 2016, 17:00
Range report:

The CZ functioned FLAWLESSLY. In a lot of ways it rivals my 226 for a suppressor host.

All I know is I enjoy shooting both and now I have two suppressor hosts that I really like both.

As for a 'project' to build a 1911... I think that would be absolutely awesome. Someday maybe... building a gun from scratch seems to me that it would be very rewarding.

Pyzik
24 October 2016, 09:06
Sounds fun... NOT.
I was just asking ATEi about fitting an APEX barrel for my fullsize M&P. After about 15 seconds of him explaining to me I just said "nevermind you can do it". I now my limits and somethings are better left for someone else to do. ha.

alamo5000
25 October 2016, 19:34
Sounds fun... NOT.
I was just asking ATEi about fitting an APEX barrel for my fullsize M&P. After about 15 seconds of him explaining to me I just said "nevermind you can do it". I now my limits and somethings are better left for someone else to do. ha.

For some reason I like gunsmithing to some degree. I am slowly learning a bit of practical stuff here and there. Mechanical things I can work with. Artistic stuff, different story. I am sure I could pull off a basic cerakote job or something like that but anything requiring 'artistic ability' probably is better left to an expert. LOL