PDA

View Full Version : Vickers G19 - Thoughts and Cautionary Tail

schambers
21 September 2016, 21:43
I very recently bought one of the new black Vicker's G19's and wanted to talk about it a bit, since I've been so surprised by it.

Before even handling the gun, my thoughts of how it would feel were based on the Gen 4 G17 and G19 that I have. Both are stippled, with trigger guard undercuts and Zev triggers. The G19 has milling on the slide and a Zev barrel. After all these modifications, I'm would say that I've only been moderately satisfied with both firearms. I thought the Vicker's would have a mushy, gritty trigger and I was mentally prepared to swap half the parts out with aftermarket pieces.

After messing with the Vickers for a while, I've come to the conclusion that aftermarket parts or modifications won't drastically improve the gun.

The new finish is just as aggressive as most stippling jobs I've felt. Even better in some cases.

Sights are good, the mag release is actually crisp and not mushy like my gen 4's.

The thing that surprised me the most is the trigger. I had expected a mushy mess but there is less take-up compared to my aftermarket zev triggers, and there is a CRISP, definite wall (like AR-trigger crisp). It probably takes about 6.5 lbs to break the trigger.

In all honesty, I don't think that anything special has been done to the trigger for the Vicker's series. I just think Glock has made rolling improvements over the years that I've never bothered to pay attention to.

The only thing I may do is put in a flat trigger shoe.

I'm actually upset at how much money I spent on my Gen 4's, and the results I got. Maybe I just have less time to keep up with new parts, or maybe I'm becoming old and stuck in my ways. The only modification I did to my recent LWRC purchase was to swap the muzzle device, and the only thing I added to a recent bolt-gun purchase has been a little velcro pad on the bottom of the stock.

I'm starting to come to the realization that in general, keeping a gun as close to stock as possible may be the best way to go.

*edit* I've been reading up on how Glock triggers work since I've been fairly ignorant of the mechanics. It seem that in the block world, you can have either a light-mushy trigger or a crisp-heavy trigger. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

UWone77
22 September 2016, 10:12
So basically a stock glock is pretty much where it's at? I'm not shocked.

Stickman
22 September 2016, 12:37
For the most part, my Glocks are stock. I do have one Agency is doing up, but I like them right out of the box.

din
23 September 2016, 17:55
I love tinkering, and I love aftermarket parts. That said, being honest with myself about what I need and what my actual capabilities are has been very satisfying. Economically advantageous, too; I really wanted to put an S3F in my gen 4 G17, but right now I can't shoot accurately enough to justify the expense. All I've changed on my Glock has been the sights and the trigger, which I replaced with one of the Robar NP3 coated DATs. I tried a few different mag releases, and I like the stock release the best out of the lot.