PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: My Franken 10/22

alamo5000
22 September 2016, 18:55
I finally got my first 10/22 all put together and this is the first actual shooting experience.

I bought a Vortex 2-7x Rimfire scope...and I am extremely glad that I got that scope. The reticle is simple but the subtensions are thin enough for very accurate shooting. I zeroed it at 50 yards with some left over blazer ammo that was given to me with the gun. I have to rave about that scope. The ease of operation and the positive clicks, clear glass... just everything is superb.

I was shooting at a steel plate that I have hanging and at one point I started aiming at that little mount square in the top center of the target (where you can mount it to a post or whatever) Basically at one point I put 3 out of 5 shots through that hole at 50 yards. I think with some better ammo selection it could be an extremely accurate shooter. It's not the most accurate shooting gun ever, but for about 1/2 to 1 inch at 50 yards that's not too bad especially considering this is just a 'blaster' anyway.

Just for kicks I tried shooting out to 100 yards and with no adjustments at all to the scope the bullet drops about 7 or 8 inches at 100 yards.

I shot everything suppressed of course. The suppressor still never fails to impress me. One thing that did happen though is after a lot of shooting the action and the chamber and even the mag got so fouled up that it wouldn't work. I had several failure to feeds and other similar issues. I cleaned the mag and cleaned all the guts of the gun with froglube (it was given to me with the gun--- man that stuff stinks! It's strong smelling) After a good cleaning the gun ran fine. I can see that shooting suppressed is going to require a lot more cleaning of the gun though. It's not like an AR... with the 10/22 when it got dirty it just stopped working.

I tried some 40 grain subsonic ammo and there is some major point of impact shift. About 7 or 8 inches down. That ammo is so slow you could see the bullets flying through the air. It was almost like shooting a tracer LOL! It appeared that the accuracy was substantially less with that ammo and on top of that you had to manually rack the slide after each shot. I definitely won't be using that ammo again. I will still test the 45 grain subs and make note of the POI shift so that I can more easily dial from supers to subs and vice versa. I will see if that stuff is very accurate as well.

A couple of things I noticed though... the inside of the reciever and the bolt are not precision tools by any means. Moving that slide back and forth with your hand and it feels very gritty. On the flip side of that--rack a Kidd build and it's like rubbing two pieces of ice together. The trigger is gritty on mine. On a Kidd it's crisp and very very nice. Basically it's night and day. I can't wait to get mine done.

Long story short I am pretty pleased with my build but I am even more excited to get my Kidd build done.

Sak007
22 September 2016, 19:33
There definitely is a learning curve when switching to subsonic past 50-75 yards . My rifle is very picky also and I'm still trying a wide range of ammo to see what it likes .
So far I've tried
Remington Thunderbolt
Remington Subsonic
Wolf Match
Lapua Subsonic HP
Lapua Pistol King
Eley Pistol Match
Winchester M22
Federal Target Grade
And a single round of Olymp-r
The thunderbolt & subsonic Remington & Wolf ran the best

alamo5000
22 September 2016, 20:03
There definitely is a learning curve when switching to subsonic past 50-75 yards . My rifle is very picky also and I'm still trying a wide range of ammo to see what it likes .
So far I've tried
Remington Thunderbolt
Remington Subsonic
Wolf Match
Lapua Subsonic HP
Lapua Pistol King
Eley Pistol Match
Winchester M22
Federal Target Grade
And a single round of Olymp-r
The thunderbolt & subsonic Remington & Wolf ran the best

I don't think I will do all that with this particular rifle. My main plan is to shoot the hell out of it :) I might eventually sell it and use the money for other stuff. That said I don't know how the .22 guys do it other than sheer trial and error. I've seen all kinds of stuff from people trying to shape the cone of the bullets to other things.

That said if I stumble across something the gun likes odds are I will hunt that stuff down. When I get my other rifle built up though you better believe that I'm going to test ammo in a more formal way.

All that said with a little bit of practice I think I could do alright with this one. Just with what I have now there's no doubt I could smoke a can of pork n' beans or a squirrel or whatever.

One thing's for sure though, this rifle has taught me a lot already. It's shown me that a factory 10/22 is a gritty gun, but the after market stuff is a whole different ball game.

Pyzik
28 September 2016, 11:13
You're making me want to bust out my 10/22 and get to tinkering.

Shoot the hell out of it as you said and enjoy it. Post the Kidd pics when done.

alamo5000
1 October 2016, 16:11
You're making me want to bust out my 10/22 and get to tinkering.

Shoot the hell out of it as you said and enjoy it. Post the Kidd pics when done.

I will do :) I have the Kidd reciever already so I just have to finish getting the rest of it. I am waiting on my job to go full time and for me to get a regular paycheck. I haven't gotten a full paycheck in like 9 months so I have a list of things that I both need and want. The barrel and trigger are going to be the most expensive parts but after seeing for myself how their stuff is built, especially their triggers, I think it will be worth it.

As for the one I put together already, it shoots pretty good. I've been trying several different kinds of ammo. It does still have some kinks in it though. I have had to do some stuff to it and it's waaay better now. One problem it was having was on the back stroke and on the forward stroke the bolt was hanging on something inside the reciever. If you racked it by hand slowly and just left it, it would hang all by itself in the mid stroke position.

I finally got frustrated with it and took the whole thing apart and inspected it. What I ended up doing was getting some strips of sandpaper and I smoothed out the interior of the reciever. I also polished down some of the sharp edges of inside parts of the charging handle. Both could still use a few strokes more but it's WAY better. I can still feel a small hitch in the stroke but it's not nearly what it was. The way that Ruger makes those recievers left the interior dimensions very rough and the walls were not uniform in thickness either.

So far the problem is 90% gone. I just ran 75 rounds and it was feeding way better. It's much smoother too. I will probably polish up the guide rod as well...