PDA

View Full Version : 300 blk pistol build...

voodoo_man
24 September 2016, 16:35
I am going to put together a cheapy 300blk pistol build which I will have with me on a daily basis instead of my pws pdw sbr.

things I want:

8-9.5 " barrel
MI g3 lightweight keymod (or mlok?) - or this type
.30 flash hider
kak shockwave
law tactical folder (already have)
low pro gas block (prolly geiselle)

stuff I need:

complete bolt assembly (i have a carrier already)
charging handle
upper dust cover
forward assist

stuff I have:

complete pistol lower with pistol tube
triji MRO (or maybe some other rds...)

opinions? considerations?

fledge
24 September 2016, 19:20
For inexpensive quality: Faxon or BA barrel.

Do you plan to plan to use linear comp tucked under rail?

For a beater, I'd consider a little more beefy rail, like Geissele MK4/8.

I have a like new KAK shockwave if you're interested.

Have you considered an upper without dust cover? It's one less thing to fiddle with for a daily packer. I don't care for forward assist but I know it's a preference for some.

I like the MRO. I wouldn't go with something less durable for daily use. That means you also need to add a mount to your list if you don't have one.

BoilerUp
24 September 2016, 20:38
Check out the Ballistic Advantage barrels. They frequently have pistol length 300 BLK barrels on sale, such as this: http://ballisticadvantage.com/8-inch-300-blackout-pistol-cmv-performance-barrel.html

And then order the pinned low pro gas block w/ the barrel for $40 extra (includes gas block and pinning service). Note that the Geissele Super Gas Block can be too big for some of the very skinny handguards like the KMR

voodoo_man
25 September 2016, 02:48
For inexpensive quality: Faxon or BA barrel.

Do you plan to plan to use linear comp tucked under rail?

For a beater, I'd consider a little more beefy rail, like Geissele MK4/8.

I have a like new KAK shockwave if you're interested.

Have you considered an upper without dust cover? It's one less thing to fiddle with for a daily packer. I don't care for forward assist but I know it's a preference for some.

I like the MRO. I wouldn't go with something less durable for daily use. That means you also need to add a mount to your list if you don't have one.

Not so much as a beater, more of a defensive tool.

I have a buddy locally that is going to sell me his at a good discount.

AR's should have dust covers and forward assists, if they don't then its wrong.

I was considering a PRO or something along those lines.

voodoo_man
25 September 2016, 02:49
Check out the Ballistic Advantage barrels. They frequently have pistol length 300 BLK barrels on sale, such as this: http://ballisticadvantage.com/8-inch-300-blackout-pistol-cmv-performance-barrel.html

And then order the pinned low pro gas block w/ the barrel for $40 extra (includes gas block and pinning service). Note that the Geissele Super Gas Block can be too big for some of the very skinny handguards like the KMR

damn that's cheap....might have to do that but I gata find a tiny rail..hmmm

voodoo_man
25 September 2016, 09:34
that ballistic advantage 8" was too good to pass up, bought that with the gas block, hell of a deal.

got an MI g3 keymod lightweight rail in FDE, matching strike industries dust cover in fde to match.

this gun be good.

UWone77
25 September 2016, 09:44
Nevermind you already found a rail.... I was going to suggest the Kaw Valley Konza rails. Good choice for cheapy builds, especially pistol ones.

voodoo_man
3 January 2017, 12:16
OK...soooooo...

I finally got a muzzle device and it doesn't fit on the barrel. Figured I was derping and may have bought the wrong one.

Double checked online, nope advertised as right size. Went to a local gunsmith I trust and he said the Ballistic Advantage barrel threads are out of spec and/or whoever cut them did so in a hurry as they aren't the advertised thread.

I emailed BA but no response yet...anyone have a contact over there? I'm hoping they can swap it out.

SINNER
3 January 2017, 14:33
OK...soooooo...

I finally got a muzzle device and it doesn't fit on the barrel. Figured I was derping and may have bought the wrong one.

Double checked online, nope advertised as right size. Went to a local gunsmith I trust and he said the Ballistic Advantage barrel threads are out of spec and/or whoever cut them did so in a hurry as they aren't the advertised thread.

I emailed BA but no response yet...anyone have a contact over there? I'm hoping they can swap it out.

Could be worse. You could have been spinning on a direct thread can and have it lock up solid. Then you could send it to the suppressor manufacturer who clearly sends you photographs of the jacked up thread dimensions he's checking for you and have them still deny it's their fault.

FYI I've also had that same issue with 2 different Rainier Arms barrels... You can draw your own conclusions but everything I've said here is true. Coincidence or same machine shop I'm not 100% sure about. Not a big deal as I gauge out the threads and touch up if needed but it sure pisses you off when you don't expect it.

voodoo_man
3 January 2017, 15:47
Could be worse. You could have been spinning on a direct thread can and have it lock up solid. Then you could send it to the suppressor manufacturer who clearly sends you photographs of the jacked up thread dimensions he's checking for you and have them still deny it's their fault.

FYI I've also had that same issue with 2 different Rainier Arms barrels... You can draw your own conclusions but everything I've said here is true. Coincidence or same machine shop I'm not 100% sure about. Not a big deal as I gauge out the threads and touch up if needed but it sure pisses you off when you don't expect it.

I'm going to call them tomorrow. Hopefully they either fix replace or refund. If not I have to get it rethreaded and thats not 100%

SINNER
3 January 2017, 16:53
Try other brakes if you have some handy. Or a thread protector. I'm specifically speaking about direct thread suppressors in my cases. Even a Silencerco direct thread would not go on the two RA barrels where all their muzzle devices worked although very tight going on.

voodoo_man
3 January 2017, 21:30
Try other brakes if you have some handy. Or a thread protector. I'm specifically speaking about direct thread suppressors in my cases. Even a Silencerco direct thread would not go on the two RA barrels where all their muzzle devices worked although very tight going on.

The gunsmith tried several muzzle adapters to see if it worked and he had another barrel with the same thread there and that one accepted them all.

Joelski
4 January 2017, 03:55
I had a barrel like this. Used a Snap-on Die and chased the thread on it for several days a couple passes at a time. Went slow, used lots of cutting lube (used motor oil), and just took my time. Overall, the thread pitch didn't change, but the grooves deepened. The MD doesn't spin on like it's on bearings, nor should it. Got the new MD on, double checked alignment, and it works great.

That's the method for a barrel you're stuck with. I'd send yours back. BA is good people, don't be afraid to exchange.

voodoo_man
6 January 2017, 13:52
BA said they will take a look at it and I sent them all the info, waiting on an RMA.

Will update as things develop, hopefully they fix it or replace it.

voodoo_man
18 January 2017, 15:19
I just can't win with this build...

So BA sent me an RMA for the barrel, cool.

Except I can't get the MI barrel nut off the RA upper. All four of the grooves stripped. I called MI and the tech was like "just put a torch to it." Ok....did that, now they are completely stripped and after trying with a strap wrench for thirty minutes I'm done.

Will see if BA will do the work for me or if I have to send it to MI to fix and send back to me.

SINNER
18 January 2017, 15:23
Pipe wrench and a new barrel nut. Sucks.

Aragorn
18 January 2017, 17:33
I just can't win with this build...

So BA sent me an RMA for the barrel, cool.

Except I can't get the MI barrel nut off the RA upper. All four of the grooves stripped. I called MI and the tech was like "just put a torch to it." Ok....did that, now they are completely stripped and after trying with a strap wrench for thirty minutes I'm done.

Will see if BA will do the work for me or if I have to send it to MI to fix and send back to me.

The chi of this weapon is clearly out of center.

In all seriousness that totally sucks. Hope it all get squared away soon.

I've got a BA 8.3" .300 barrel showing up tomorrow, hope it's gtg.

voodoo_man
18 January 2017, 17:55
Pipe wrench and a new barrel nut. Sucks.

I've put together and taken apart dozens of ARs...Only time I've had this issue is when factory guns are all mangled with shit parts, or parts are defective which I think the case is here. It's pretty frustrating...

SINNER
18 January 2017, 18:30
Yup. Had a DPMS .308 i Cerakoted that had to be at 100ft lbs and covered with some ignorant white locktite. Broke the pins off two wrenches with breaker bars then put a 24" pipe wrench and a torch to it. It came loose but the barrel nut was trashed.

Using a reaction rod or a clamp around vise block? Maybe cut the slots deeper into the barrel nut to get the 3 point wrench further back into good material? I think most of the issue is from that damn wrench flexing and tearing up the slots.

voodoo_man
19 January 2017, 05:02
Yup. Had a DPMS .308 i Cerakoted that had to be at 100ft lbs and covered with some ignorant white locktite. Broke the pins off two wrenches with breaker bars then put a 24" pipe wrench and a torch to it. It came loose but the barrel nut was trashed.

Using a reaction rod or a clamp around vise block? Maybe cut the slots deeper into the barrel nut to get the 3 point wrench further back into good material? I think most of the issue is from that damn wrench flexing and tearing up the slots.

I don't want to mess with cutting as I have to return the barrel for service - they might be like "you fucked it up!" and send it right back without doing anything to it - which is what I am expecting them to do anyway.

voodoo_man
19 January 2017, 05:03
pix or lies:

http://i.imgur.com/32Tl5yE.jpg

SINNER
19 January 2017, 05:34
Damn. The barrel nut failed before the wrench. Still think heat and a pipe wrench is the best bet. Nut is trashed anyway.

GOST
19 January 2017, 05:48
You may be able to drill a hole in it and use a spanner wrench.

voodoo_man
19 January 2017, 05:56
You may be able to drill a hole in it and use a spanner wrench.

I thought about it...shit maybe I'll try it.

voodoo_man
19 January 2017, 06:25
Ok!

http://i.imgur.com/MpHGgno.png

FML...

I had to beat the fucking barrel out of the upper using a wooden stick.

Fuck that mess. Either the RA upper is out of spec of the BA barrel is.

Either way, no way these two are going back together.

GOST
19 January 2017, 06:30
Good to see you got it off. Last couple I've put together have been extremely tight also.

voodoo_man
19 January 2017, 13:55
Good to see you got it off. Last couple I've put together have been extremely tight also.

The barrel was super tight inside the upper, might have something to do with it? Who knows.

Anyway, had to get a little snippy with MI customer service in order for them to send me a new barrel nut. I could probably have used this one as the hole works really well but I am sure the integrity is compromised as I beat the piss out of it.

Joelski
19 January 2017, 14:15
Is that red loctite around the barrel nut threads? If so, somebody needs kicked dead flush in the nuggies. My Radical upper didn't have anything on the threads and came right apart.

SINNER
19 January 2017, 15:08
Is that red loctite around the barrel nut threads? If so, somebody needs kicked dead flush in the nuggies. My Radical upper didn't have anything on the threads and came right apart.

Grease.

And I would be more than a little concerned with ANY company who does not lubricate the threads when installing a barrel nut.

UWone77
19 January 2017, 15:51
I've put together and taken apart dozens of ARs...Only time I've had this issue is when factory guns are all mangled with shit parts, or parts are defective which I think the case is here. It's pretty frustrating...

Likely operator error... way to deflect. [:D]

Doesn't look like there is enough AeroShell in there.

SINNER
19 January 2017, 16:08
Doesn't look like Aeroshell at all. Looks like high pressure bearing grease.

voodoo_man
19 January 2017, 16:53
It is high pressure grease.

Used to use the industry common stuff and realized it does the same thing. After having a discussion with a few people more knowledge than I, this works fine.

I've put dozens of uppers together using it. First time I've had an issue.

UWone77
19 January 2017, 17:12
It is high pressure grease.

Used to use the industry common stuff and realized it does the same thing. After having a discussion with a few people more knowledge than I, this works fine.

I've put dozens of uppers together using it. First time I've had an issue.

By dozens you mean... one. [:D]

voodoo_man
20 January 2017, 10:39
By dozens you mean... one. [:D]

No, I'm actually serious...It works fine.

voodoo_man
3 February 2017, 16:53
Ok....

So BA came through and sent me a brand new 300 barrel with a gas block. Said the barrel I sent in was not properly cut on the machine.

I since ordered a dsg 300 barrel which I have.

MI sent me a new barrel nut. So I'm ready to install everything.

I'm gana sell the BA barrel and gas block.

BoilerUp
3 February 2017, 17:15
Ok....

So BA came through and sent me a brand new 300 barrel with a gas block. Said the barrel I sent in was not properly cut on the machine.

I since ordered a dsg 300 barrel which I have.

MI sent me a new barrel nut. So I'm ready to install everything.

I'm gana sell the BA barrel and gas block.

I like to hear it when companies just admit their mistake and fix it instead of making excuses or being opaque about the real issue. While I hope BA considers how to keep product like that from going out the door in the future, I'll mentally treat this as "positive" data point for BA overall.

voodoo_man
3 February 2017, 18:43
I like to hear it when companies just admit their mistake and fix it instead of making excuses or being opaque about the real issue. While I hope BA considers how to keep product like that from going out the door in the future, I'll mentally treat this as "positive" data point for BA overall.

Yeah I agree. I bought the other barrel because I assumed, wrongly, that based on their emails this wasn't going to work out in my favor.

SINNER
3 February 2017, 19:47
Good to hear it worked out. Just build another weapon. You already have the barrel.

;)

voodoo_man
3 February 2017, 20:21
Good to hear it worked out. Just build another weapon. You already have the barrel.

;)

I probably could but no.