PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Gas Ports

gatordev
3 October 2016, 12:49
I've been doing a lot of Googling trying to determine where Noveske stands with their barrels and if they're over-gassed or not. I see conflicting reports where some people say they're fine and others point out that they're not. What's not clear is if the people saying they aren't over-gassed have old ones or new ones. It's also hard to tell if the people that are saying they're not are actually running spec ammo or not.

I have a "pre-death" 16" that is no over-gassed and runs fantastic suppressed or unsuppressed. However I'm looking for a stainless barrel now, and it seems it's down to BCM or Noveske for the length I'm looking for.

So, what say you all? For new barrels, are they more gassy? (An adjustable gas block is not an option due to the rail choice)

fledge
3 October 2016, 13:32
I cannot answer this question. But VSeven may be the next evolution of the Noveske stainless. Worth at least looking at. I have run two barrels so far and do not find them gassy. In fact, the adjustable gas blocks I use take little adjustment. Give Joel a call at VSeven and see if he's any help. They have every length I think but the 13.7".

gatordev
3 October 2016, 14:27
Huh. I thought I had looked them up, but now that I'm on their site, apparently not. Geez. "Thanks..." Now on to more Googling!

UWone77
3 October 2016, 20:16
gator, I've never measured my gas ports on my Noveske rifles, but my pre-Johnny death barrels are definitely less gassy IMHO.

I have two 10.5's post-Johnny barrels still in the box. I should measure those. One Stainless, the other N4.

gatordev
4 October 2016, 05:22
From what I've been able to interpolate, it seems like they changed them at some point. That V-Seven looks interesting though. I just need to do some more research.

velocity2006
4 October 2016, 21:15
Honestly everything post John has been kind of meh, the N6 doesn't do it for me, and neither does their new short bolt gun 6.5. Being local I also don't like all the drama between the AR companies out of the area now. I probably like the SMOS receivers the most out of all the local companies, but I am not too fond of their decision to raise their pricing (though I fully understand it and why).

With the increased price it is just hard to justify the coin on any of the rollmarks/designs coming out of GP/Merlin when you consider CMT, Rainier, Mega, BAD, 2A, Northtech, etc. Plus I am fucking SICK of the NSR style barrel nut, I honestly cannot believe people still buy rails they have to shim. I just think for the money I would look elsewhere.

Sorry to get off topic lol.

alamo5000
4 October 2016, 22:05
I've been doing a lot of Googling trying to determine where Noveske stands with their barrels and if they're over-gassed or not. I see conflicting reports where some people say they're fine and others point out that they're not. What's not clear is if the people saying they aren't over-gassed have old ones or new ones. It's also hard to tell if the people that are saying they're not are actually running spec ammo or not.

I have a "pre-death" 16" that is no over-gassed and runs fantastic suppressed or unsuppressed. However I'm looking for a stainless barrel now, and it seems it's down to BCM or Noveske for the length I'm looking for.

So, what say you all? For new barrels, are they more gassy? (An adjustable gas block is not an option due to the rail choice)

What length barrel are you looking for?

EvanHo
5 October 2016, 02:42
Yes, I was wanting to know the port size for proper buffer weight utilization. I have already purchased the upper with Noveske barrel, but I bought it off the EE from M4C and do not / did not know all the specs. All I know is that the upper originated from MSTN.

Yes, I trust Noveske to assemble top quality products, but I also trust my inexperience in knowing how to address troubleshooting. My list of reliable people to ask questions like this is short. I've only been shooting AR's for two years and this is my first SBR. I thought the experienced members on this forum would be good people to learn from.

Rob_S, I don't know what you aimed to prove, but I would like to think you would be more helpful to the less experienced looking to gain knowledge. Had I asked, "which buffer to use on an 11.5" SBR?", you would have said H or H2. I would have responded, WHY? The ultimate answer lies within the gas port size.

Kartoffel, thanks for jumping in. You nailed it and clearly saw the point of the question.

I don't know that I'm "trying to prove" anything, other than these kinds of discussions about inconsequential minutiae are having exactly the effect I'm talking about: distracting people from what matters.

This obsession with minutiae, tweaking, "tuning", building, etc. all from positions of total ignorance is what I'm lobbying against. Go shoot the gun. If you do not know enough out of the gate to know how to answer your own questions and solve your own problems, you need to be buying a factory gun, or contacting the manufacturer when you buy a used gun (or half a gun) and ask them the question that you really want to ask. Honestly, if someone had replied to this thread and said "the gas port size on your barrel is 0.x inches" would you know enough to then figure out on your own what buffer to use? Then why not just call Noveske and say "hey guys, I just bought one of your uppers and I was wondering if you could tell me the optimum buffer to use".

FWIW, this buffer/spring obsession has gotten equally ludicrous.

gatordev
5 October 2016, 03:00
Um, okay. Was this meant to be posted on the M4C or P&S browser tab you had opened?

What length barrel are you looking for?

12.5"

rxer311
5 October 2016, 17:21
Here is the insight I can provide. I have 2 14.5" new production Noveske CHF CL barrels. Using an H1 buffer in each rifle I have them on, it seems a bit over gassed using mil spec ammo. My ammo ejects at about 2 o'clock using an H buffer. There have been no malfunctions with either barrel. I think using and H-2 buffer would "fix" the non problem. But yes, I believe that the new manufacture barrels are just a bit over gassed.

JGifford
6 October 2016, 06:35

I have had multiple Noveske rifles from the time period where John Noveske still signed the certs on the SBR's. They were over-gassed.

One was a 14.5" middy, CHF, Switchblock. It was gassy enough with the port set to "suppressed" that it would eject XM193 without a can on the gun. It wouldn't feet, but it would eject and re-set the trigger.
One was a 10.5" CHF, no SB, carbine length. It was downright violent suppressed with any buffer known to man that fits a carbine RE and a Sprinco Blue. I tried an H3, and it was still violent as hell.

Every Noveske barrel I have seen measurements for is significantly larger than I'd prefer.

gatordev
6 October 2016, 07:57
Interesting to hear.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a V7, just waiting for a reply to an email. We'll see how it works out.

mtdawg169
6 October 2016, 08:35
I just measured a brand new 12.5 Noveske N4 gas port at 0.071". It honestly surprised me, as I expected it to be larger based on the reports of overgassing. That seems like a perfectly reasonable port size for a 12.5 barrel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gator
7 October 2016, 05:53
I just measured a brand new 12.5 Noveske N4 gas port at 0.071". It honestly surprised me, as I expected it to be larger based on the reports of overgassing. That seems like a perfectly reasonable port size for a 12.5 barrel.

Interesting. I think you can go smaller on a 12.5--Centurion ports theirs at .065. My current go to is a 12.5N4. It took an A5 H3 to tame it some, although, I've always felt I could easily go up to an A5H4.

mtdawg169
7 October 2016, 06:24
Interesting. I think you can go smaller on a 12.5--Centurion ports theirs at .065. My current go to is a 12.5N4. It took an A5 H3 to tame it some, although, I've always felt I could easily go up to an A5H4.
Well, I can easily run an A5H3 on my Sionics reduced gas port 11.5 barrel. So, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Sionics is around 0.070, so you could definitely go smaller on a 12.5 if you wanted to. But 0.065 is on the small side. Sounds like it would make a good suppressed barrel too.

fledge
7 October 2016, 10:35
I don't know VSeven port size on the 12.5. I do know this:

It shoots well unsuppressed with the VSeven titanium BCG, Geissele H1 buffer/spring. No adj block.

A handy lightweight rifle.

I've not experimented with an added tungsten weight to the buffer.

ETA: this is with Wolf Gold 223 55gr and MEN 556 56gr.

n4p226r
14 October 2016, 05:18
gator, I've never measured my gas ports on my Noveske rifles, but my pre-Johnny death barrels are definitely less gassy IMHO.

I have two 10.5's post-Johnny barrels still in the box. I should measure those. One Stainless, the other N4.

id love to know those numbers

gatordev
29 October 2016, 16:52
Ended up going with a V Seven with their "mil specified" gas port. And so it begins...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5801/30350052000_d24f6fbb5d_b.jpg

fledge
29 October 2016, 19:26
Congrats. Did you figure out port size for that one?

UWone77
29 October 2016, 19:29
Makes up for the URX II gayness

gatordev
30 October 2016, 06:02
Congrats. Did you figure out port size for that one?

Yes. .0625"

Makes up for the URX II gayness

Why the hate?

If only I had had a GL/SSC.

UWone77
30 October 2016, 09:33
Yes. .0625"

Why the hate?

If only I had had a GL/SSC.

I'm just shooting a salvo over the bow for the MK18 hate [:D]

The FNG
30 October 2016, 22:33
I was on the fence between Noveske and V7 for an 18" stainless middy (I know you're looking for shorter). It impressed me that when I called V7 and left a message, the owner called me back. I was amazed. He answered every question I had and more. I wouldn't hesitate to go with them.

However, I ended up choosing Noveske because I found a discount code and got a switchblock barrel for 10% off ;) discount code no longer works...

Anyway, there is no way my barrel is overgassed. That thing is buttery smooth suppressed or not. Then again, it is with an A5 system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatordev
11 November 2016, 16:35
This thread has kind of turned into a V-Seven thread, and I'm very thankful. Wow, does my barrel shoot.

First up, last week I zeroed the gun, first unsuppressed and then finally suppressed. Unsuppressed, with a H2 buffer, I got numerous FTFeed issues. The empty brass would eject, but the next round wouldn't strip and load. I don't fault the barrel for this, as it's a smaller gas port and this is easily fixed. I didn't have a spare H-buffer on hand to "fix" the issue, so I just dealt with it until I threw on my SF Mini can (and eventually my full-size RC). Once the suppressor(s) were on, it ran like a sewing machine. Groups were very consistent, even with my less than precise reticle (MK6).

Today it was time to see how it did at distance. Just, wow. I wasn't expecting to get out past 500y with a 12.5" barrel with any consistency. At 400y, I was able to stack hits on top of each other. At 600y, the hits kept coming. We had a little bit of wind today, but nothing crazy, so I'm sure with something up towards 10 MPH, it would have been much harder with the round going as slow as it was, but still, this thing was consistent today.

Fledge, thank you so much for the recommendation. This was exactly the barrel I was looking for. And thanks to V-Seven for making a fantastic barrel.

mtdawg169
11 November 2016, 17:04
This thread has kind of turned into a V-Seven thread, and I'm very thankful. Wow, does my barrel shoot.

First up, last week I zeroed the gun, first unsuppressed and then finally suppressed. Unsuppressed, with a H2 buffer, I got numerous FTFeed issues. The empty brass would eject, but the next round wouldn't strip and load. I don't fault the barrel for this, as it's a smaller gas port and this is easily fixed. I didn't have a spare H-buffer on hand to "fix" the issue, so I just dealt with it until I threw on my SF Mini can (and eventually my full-size RC). Once the suppressor(s) were on, it ran like a sewing machine. Groups were very consistent, even with my less than precise reticle (MK6).

Today it was time to see how it did at distance. Just, wow. I wasn't expecting to get out past 500y with a 12.5" barrel with any consistency. At 400y, I was able to stack hits on top of each other. At 600y, the hits kept coming. We had a little bit of wind today, but nothing crazy, so I'm sure with something up towards 10 MPH, it would have been much harder with the round going as slow as it was, but still, this thing was consistent today.

Fledge, thank you so much for the recommendation. This was exactly the barrel I was looking for. And thanks to V-Seven for making a fantastic barrel.
Any idea what port size they're using?

gatordev
12 November 2016, 08:57
Post #21:

Yes. .0625"

JGifford
11 July 2018, 23:33

I'm curious about an update? This was a 12.5" barrel, correct? How did it run once you threw the H buffer in? What ammo were you running in the above post?
Thanks!

gatordev
12 July 2018, 04:37
Yes, 12.5" barrel. Looks like VSeven doesn't do the adjusted gas port anymore. I asked when I bought my 14.5" and he said they were doing it in the past for an LE agency.

The 12.5" has continued to impress. I took out at distance again after that post, but the conditions had a little more of a swirling wind down the cut in the trees. 500y was consistent, 600y was tough, especially with no spotter. The extra 4x on the NF helped, though.

It groups better than I can shoot. It can stack rounds on top of one another when the shooter isn't an idiot and doesn't jerk the trigger. I've primarily run IMI 77gr (the older stuff that was hotter) for precision and some Federal M193 when needed. I do have data on some some Southwest Ammo 77gr and CBC 77gr. Both shot well.

Once I went to the H-buffer, the gun has run flawlessly both suppressed or unsuppressed. I typically will run it with a SOCOM Mini 99% of the time, but when I've shot it prone without the can, it's like shooting a .22LR.

Since this has been in a Mini RECCE config for a while, I'm probably going to change the config for a bit and throw the ATACR 1-8 on it and pull off the bipod. That way I'll have two nearly identical 12.5 carbines, one with a T2 and one with a LPV setup.

I posted this pic elsewhere, but for completeness (minus the dumb NF caps).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4380/37095824126_9e284e9476_b.jpg

tact
12 July 2018, 10:42
Thanks.....I appreciate all the contributions in this thread. Good info!

JGifford
12 July 2018, 21:50
Yes, 12.5" barrel. Looks like VSeven doesn't do the adjusted gas port anymore. I asked when I bought my 14.5" and he said they were doing it in the past for an LE agency.

The 12.5" has continued to impress. I took out at distance again after that post, but the conditions had a little more of a swirling wind down the cut in the trees. 500y was consistent, 600y was tough, especially with no spotter. The extra 4x on the NF helped, though.

It groups better than I can shoot. It can stack rounds on top of one another when the shooter isn't an idiot and doesn't jerk the trigger. I've primarily run IMI 77gr (the older stuff that was hotter) for precision and some Federal M193 when needed. I do have data on some some Southwest Ammo 77gr and CBC 77gr. Both shot well.

Once I went to the H-buffer, the gun has run flawlessly both suppressed or unsuppressed. I typically will run it with a SOCOM Mini 99% of the time, but when I've shot it prone without the can, it's like shooting a .22LR.

Since this has been in a Mini RECCE config for a while, I'm probably going to change the config for a bit and throw the ATACR 1-8 on it and pull off the bipod. That way I'll have two nearly identical 12.5 carbines, one with a T2 and one with a LPV setup.

I posted this pic elsewhere, but for completeness (minus the dumb NF caps).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4380/37095824126_9e284e9476_b.jpg

Nice! Thankyou! What ammo was run when it failed with H2/ later when it worked with H? Have you tried any .223 ammo, is what I'm getting at?

gatordev
13 July 2018, 05:14
Same ammo both instances. Federal M193 and IMI 77gr. The ammo pressure wasn't the issue, per se, it was the closed down gas port. I thought I may have run some BH Blue Box (which is .223), but I looked through my shot log and it shows I never shot any .223 with it. I had shot some Wolf Gold through it. I'm really not sure what that ammo is supposed to be, so do with that info what you will.

JGifford
13 July 2018, 07:08
Same ammo both instances. Federal M193 and IMI 77gr. The ammo pressure wasn't the issue, per se, it was the closed down gas port. I thought I may have run some BH Blue Box (which is .223), but I looked through my shot log and it shows I never shot any .223 with it. I had shot some Wolf Gold through it. I'm really not sure what that ammo is supposed to be, so do with that info what you will.

Roger that. You'd trust it to be 100% with m193 and no can, though?

gatordev
13 July 2018, 14:05
Absolutely. And that's with running a SOCOM brake.