PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Armament barrels

Former11B
12 October 2016, 06:27
They make a variety of these in lengths and calibers, but I would love to give one of these a shot. Throw on a minimalist FH and my Recce 5 would be at home on it

https://www.griffinarmament.com/Griffin-16-416R-223-Wylde-HEDP-Barrel-p/he161223w.htm

UWone77
12 October 2016, 07:40
http://www.griffinarmament.com/Griffin-14-5-416R-223-Wylde-HEDP-Barrel-p/he145223w.htm

Description:

The Griffin HEDP™ Barrels (http://www.griffinarmament.com/Griffin-14-5-416R-223-Wylde-HEDP-Barrel-p/he145223w.htm) provide High Endurance Dual Purpose functionality- offering high durability and precision accuracy. Nitrided 416R stainless steel provides the highest possible hardness and longest throat life available with match grade bore dimensions and bore finish. HEDP barrel bores are hand lapped, ensuring batch to batch consistency and accuracy. TRUE-BORE™ concentric suppressor grade threads provide an optimized thread interface for your silencer regardless of brand or model. M4 feed ramps and chambers are polished prior to nitriding for smooth reliable feeding, chambering, and extraction. Gas ports were carefully engineered to provide reliable function suppressed or unsuppressed with 5.56 NATO ammunition. M4A1 contour diameter between the chamber and gas block for minimal POI shift with suppressors and maximum accuracy and durability while maintaining field weight. The included 416R Low profile Griffin Armament Primo gas Block™ offers unmatched value in the interest of increased customer satisfaction. Threads are slotted for pinning and welding your favorite Griffin Armament muzzle device.

The PRIMO Gas Block™ can be pinned by a trained gunsmith. Alternatively end users can quickly mount their block with the included set screws. Proficient builders should use a carbide tipped 1/8" drill bit to complete the pin hole prior to pressing the included splined pin. (splined pin installation is optional)

Features

416R SS barrel manufactured from stress relieved certified barrel steel
Black nitrided for extended service life
Magnetic particle inspected
Button rifled
223 Wylde chamber for optimal accuracy
Mid length gas for softer recoil characteristics
.750" gas block journal
M4A1 diameter for reduced POI shift / Increased Accuracy & Durability
Air gauged and hand lapped bore
Polished chamber and M4 feed ramps
TRU-BORE™ suppressor quality threads
Suppressor optimized gas ports
.625" , 1/2x28 industry standard threads
threads pre slotted for pin and weld applications
Included 416R Low Profile PRIMO Gas Block™

Aragorn
12 October 2016, 17:24
Oh. Man.

I don't even own a suppressor and I want one.

alamo5000
12 October 2016, 17:43
Yes. I would definitely like to try these out.

fledge
12 October 2016, 19:02
I like that the gas port is tuned for suppressor use. If they had an 18", I'd be all over it.

schambers
12 October 2016, 19:42
Definitely interested to see how these perform. I've been very happy with the suppressor I have from them, and their muzzle devices.

Joelski
12 October 2016, 19:53
I like that the gas port is tuned for suppressor use. If they had an 18", I'd be all over it.

Same here. I think there's an SPR on my horizon!

din
12 October 2016, 20:18
Damn it, why can't I just get a nice 12.5" that isn't gov profile? Argh.

alamo5000
12 October 2016, 22:09
Here's a question for you guys...'suppressor optimized gas ports'...

Everybody here knows I am a GA fanboy so I am not questioning them, but I am wondering what is a standard gas port size vs this one, which it says it is .625"

SBR's through my experience can become finicky on the gas to the point where the increased PSI will increase your carrier speed and basically make your gun not function 'in time'...throw in a heavier buffer and spring and you're back in business in many instances. It counteracts those forces to help prevent that violent carrier blow back. Same thing with an adjustable block...

Then throw in a suppressor to the mix and the psi pressures are extended in duration...

Basically my question is how much effect (positive or negative) does constricting the gas port have? Is it really a viable alternative to dropping in heavier buffers or using an adjustable block? If it lets say 10% less gas into the tube that would essentially mean a substantially less carrier speed...or so the theory goes...correct?

Anyone willing to share experiences with this? Trying to get my head around the concept is all.

Also would a constricted port make any significant difference on a longer barrel? Or non suppressed shooting? Shorter barrel I could see that...

fledge
12 October 2016, 23:55
Same here. I think there's an SPR on my horizon!

That's my plan over the next six months. Centurion, Rainier, VSeven... All barrels on my radar. I want rifle gas too. I wrote Griffin to see if an 18" is in the works.

DeviantLogic
13 October 2016, 00:00
Pretty sure the gas port size isn't .625"...maybe .0625".

Former11B
13 October 2016, 04:39
Pretty sure the gas port size isn't .625"...maybe .0625".

Alamo, The .625" refers to the length of the 1/2X28 threads. Gas port size would be something like .082" or so. Talk about over gassed!

The length of the threads is important so the threads are too long, running up inside a direct threat suppressor or preventing a muzzle device from properly indexing

FWIW, I have an 18" Griffin SPR/Match 223 Wylde barrel and I love it. Was just shy of $300, but for about the price of the GA barrel you could get a Rainier Ultramatch made from a Shilen blank. Food for thought

fledge
13 October 2016, 08:21
Griffin replied they have no plans for an 18".

UWone77
13 October 2016, 09:13
Griffin replied they have no plans for an 18".

Not surprised, just based on the numbers Rainier sells of 14.5 & 16 vs 18, it's a no brainer.

alamo5000
13 October 2016, 11:03
Doh! My dumbass misread U-Dubya's first post... I thought it was a typo...

But bigger picture has anyone done testing on porting? How does it stack up to adjustable gas blocks, heavier buffers, or even suppressor bcg's ...

I ask because there seems to be more than one way to approach the problem...and I would definitely be open minded about all possible solutions...

Anybody have a link to any articles or just personal experience?

alamo5000
13 October 2016, 11:39
Not surprised, just based on the numbers Rainier sells of 14.5 & 16 vs 18, it's a no brainer.

To each his own but for me I don't see the appeal for an 18" barrel on an AR. I mean seriously what does it add to the overall performance of the gun?

fledge
13 October 2016, 12:25
Alamo, lots of testing of port size available. Many want manufacturers to disclose the port size so they know what they are dealing with. Adj block works but adds complexity when it may not be needed. Even if you have one, it's more of a set it and forget it solution anyway. I've also read that regardless of buffer, an oversized port also erodes the port more quickly. Overgassing is a result of manufacturers not wanting John Doe know it all from eating up customer support resources cause he shoots the most underpowered cheap ammo he can find. A battle rifle, the philosophy goes, should be ported to the appropriate ammo. I prefer ports that at least work with quality ammo. I wish manufacturers would say which factory ammo has been tested so we work with it. Plenty on M4C have talked about this.

18" barrel increases velocity. For my purpose it would be a 600m rifle for training. I'd rather spend 60˘ a round in 223 match than $1.40 for 6.5C match. Plus I think 16" to be the awkward middle. For all-purpose, ideally 12.5-14.5. For longer precision, ideally The 18-20. The MK12 is a case in point.

Former11B
13 October 2016, 13:29
Alamo, lots of testing of port size available. Many want manufacturers to disclose the port size so they know what they are dealing with. Adj block works but adds complexity when it may not be needed. Even if you have one, it's more of a set it and forget it solution anyway. I've also read that regardless of buffer, an oversized port also erodes the port more quickly. Overgassing is a result of manufacturers not wanting John Doe know it all from eating up customer support resources cause he shoots the most underpowered cheap ammo he can find. A battle rifle, the philosophy goes, should be ported to the appropriate ammo. I prefer ports that at least work with quality ammo. I wish manufacturers would say which factory ammo has been tested so we work with it. Plenty on M4C have talked about this.

18" barrel increases velocity. For my purpose it would be a 600m rifle for training. I'd rather spend 60˘ a round in 223 match than $1.40 for 6.5C match. Plus I think 16" to be the awkward middle. For all-purpose, ideally 12.5-14.5. For longer precision, ideally The 18-20. The MK12 is a case in point.

The 16" Recce platform I think is a fantastic rifle, with a "Recce" set up being about my favorite there is. With a quality barrel and other components, you can reach 0-500m (I limit that because the optics are lower power) easily with marginal loss of velocity over an 18", and with a suppressor, I doubt there's much difference at all. I'm not arguing by any means, it's all personal preference. I have ARs in 10.5", 16", and 18", and shoot the longer ones much more, but my Recce gets the most trigger time. I do love my 18" SPR, but it is a good 2.5lbs heavier than my 16".

Alamo, the gas port thing has been beat to death online. My WAR uppers supposedly only work with larger gas ports (between .084-.092") but I believe my Rainier gas ports are .080"-.082" (I emailed to confirm but haven't heard back yet) so it's not a deal breaker in this case. But the ideal gas port size for various barrel and gas systems, suppressed/unsuppressed, etc has been asked eleventy-billion times out there.

BoilerUp
17 September 2023, 11:09
I bought a Griffin Armament HEDP back before the WA AWB went into effect and finally got around to installing and shooting it. After much debate, I decided to go ahead and use the HEDP for my URG-I build. It's the 14.8" non-fluted version and has a SureFire SOCOM 4-prong FH.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Shooting/n-ZgGN2/URG-I-145/i-6t5CFqc/2/ac7281fe/X2/IMG_2810-X2.jpg

While I haven't shot it for groups on paper, I can say this: after zeroing on paper with ball ammo at 200 yards using the Razor 1-6, I was able to consistently ring an 8" gong at 200 yards and *sometimes* at 300 using the BDC on a windy day using 77gr RazorCore from prone with a SF SOCOM RC2. So, off to a good start.

nancyfisher543
15 January 2024, 15:39
I bought a Griffin Armament HEDP back before the WA AWB went into effect and finally got around to installing and shooting it. After much debate, I decided to go ahead and use the HEDP for my URG-I build. It's the 14.8" non-fluted version and has a SureFire SOCOM 4-prong FH.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Shooting/n-ZgGN2/URG-I-145/i-6t5CFqc/2/ac7281fe/X2/IMG_2810-X2.jpg

While I haven't shot it for groups on paper, I can say this: after zeroing on paper with ball ammo at 200 yards using the Razor 1-6, I was able to consistently ring an 8" gong at 200 yards and *sometimes* at 300 using the BDC on a windy day using 77gr RazorCore from prone with a SF SOCOM RC2. So, off to a good start.Hmhm cool rifle

Joelski
17 January 2024, 15:27
Pardon the necropost:The whole mess is kind of FAFO. in the respect that you still have to find out what works for your rifle/suppressor/ammo setup. While all this nonsense has played out, I'm kind of surprised that nobody has offered a tapered port GB. With known "optimized" ports being around .076", a manufacturer could offer a gas port of around .088" at the journal end and taper it to the "state of the state" size at the gas tube. The restriction would be subject to the safety valve effect, the same as any other GB, fixed, or variable, but would give an optimized port to pass gas to the BCG. With all the other options, I'm really surprised this hasn't been marketed; it should be at least as good as a dedicated port, and could maybe be offered in a couple of sizes for the more popular gas journal sizes.BTW, that is a pretty sweet rifle, Boiler!