PDA

View Full Version : Best Adjustable Stock/Pistol Grip combo for 20 gauge

EO3
14 October 2016, 09:30
Hello great people of WEVO,

My shotgun knowledge base is quite limited compared to my AR knowledge. Long story short, my girlfriend would really like a 20 gauge with an adjustable stock and pistol grip, and she also really likes the fiber optic dot sights. It's mainly going to be a "fun gun" - so she isn't looking to spend a ton on it. Essentially, I'm asking any of you that have much knowledge of shotguns to chime in. Would it make more sense to buy an 870 or 500 plain Jane, and then add the other parts? Or would it be more cost effective to buy one complete how she would want it? Either way, I don't really know where to find a complete one and/or what parts are good.

All suggestions and questions are welcome!

SINNER
14 October 2016, 13:19
Most stock adapters are 12 ga specific as the receiver is larger. Mesa Tactical makes an adapter called the Lucy that will allow 12 ga stocks to be used on a 20 ga receiver for the 870's. Other than that you will likely be limited as to the choices. With the lighter loads available for 12's now I honestly have a hard time recommending a 20 to anyone. Ammo choices suck for the 20's along with no parts other than modded 12 parts that fit poorly.

The exception to that is going with a Saiga 20. All parts interchange with the 12's but bolt, barrel and mags.

UWone77
14 October 2016, 22:38
SINNER is right. There is virtually no adjustable stock/pistol grip combos for 20 gauge shotty's.

What makes your GF want to shoot a 20 gauge? Is this for target shooting then I take it since you labelled it a "fun gun?"

I'd just pick up an 870 Police Used, or a Mossberg 500/590. You can find them all over cheap. In fact if you go with a Mossberg 500, I think I still have my stock/pistol grip from a Tactical model you can have. I switch that particular one to a Magpul Stock as I prefer full stocks on Shotguns.