PDA

View Full Version : A variable 8x or 10x optic: USO SR-8C?

gatordev
16 October 2016, 13:22
I'm potentially in the market for a variable optic that does 8x or 10x. I have specific criteria, and what usually eliminates optics is the reticle (I want a mil reticle with, optimally, .5 mil sub-tensions), and to some extent, weight. For me First Focal Plane is also a plus. Part of the equation for what I'm trying to do is also have some source of a daylight capable red dot (be it in the optic or attached to the side by a third party manufacturer). Other than mag, the MK6 1-6 solves a lot of this, but the giant donut in the middle of the reticle can potentially obscure targets. For now, the MK6 is what I'll use (since I have one), but I'm on the prowl for another option.

As of now, I have two final contenders which include another NF 2.5-10x24 with an accompanying RMR, but that quickly exceeds my initial budget. The other contender is a USO 1-8 SR-8C. I'd prefer a different reticle in the SR-8, but it's still workable.

So now the question(s)... I've read Voodooman's review, along with others. It seems like the RDS is visible on the USO scope in daylight, although I think there may be an autocorrect issue with Voodooman's review, as it makes it sound like it's not visible in bright sunlight. This matters in FL, so trying to clarify. I've only managed to hold this scope once for about 10 seconds, so trying to confirm if it truly is day-light capable.

The USO weight is also about equal to a Vortex HD2 1-6 in weight, but with a better reticle, and I've played with a Vortex a bit, so I think the weight would be manageable. I offer this just to give some perspective on where my head is.

Price-wise, the USO could potentially be less than the NF w/ RDS...unless I have USO change the reticle. Because why not? Oh right, price...

Any input?

Slippers
16 October 2016, 13:35
I can't stand the uso sr8c because the glass (to my eyes) is sub par. Distortion and chromatic aberration are worse than a kit lens on a DSLR, for $2000 and a lot of weight.

King of the 1-8 hill right now is the Leopold cqbss, without question.

A cheaper 2.5-10 can be found in the 32mm objective version of the NF, which weighs the same as the 24mm (albeit a bit longer, but at least the eye box is more forgiving). And you can get it with the mil-r reticle for the subtensions you prefer.

gatordev
16 October 2016, 14:36
It's funny you say that. It seems like there are USO disciples and then everyone else. I've looked through a couple of USO optics and it's been okay, but nothing makes me understand what I hear people fawning all over. And I've been with others who have said the same thing. Then there are those that say it's top-tier (and maybe it is). Just funny to hear yet another example of how it might not be.

I didn't think the CQBSS had a red dot in it. Does it? If not, it's a no-go, as the price, even after .mil pricing puts it in the not worth it category.

As for the NF x32 optic.... I hear you, but I'm trying to make a compact system with this particular rifle system. Eye relief isn't as big a deal if I have the RDS to go with it.

Will, thanks for your thoughts. Your input lately has been valued.

Slippers
16 October 2016, 16:53
The cqbss has daylight bright illumination on the tmr and mildot reticles.

Keep in mind the size and weight of these:

Cqbss is 12 inches, 23 oz.
S8rc is 12 inches, 26 oz.
NF 2.5-10x32 is 12 inches, 19 oz.

The NF doesn't seem like a bad choice, then. Although you would be adding the additional offset red dot.

JGifford
16 October 2016, 17:20
Wait until shot is my .02

UWone77
16 October 2016, 18:48
By SHOT 2019, I bet you see a 1-10x Strike Eagle for $300 [:D]

gatordev
16 October 2016, 19:08
Wait until shot is my .02

I hear you. Since the SR-8 has vanished, and random postings by D4, it seems like something is afoot. The question is, will it actually exist or will it be vaporware?

Thanks, Slippers. I keep coming back to the NF...albeit the x24 for another 2-ish ounces and compactness....and additional cost.

JGifford
16 October 2016, 19:21
I hear you. Since the SR-8 has vanished, and random postings by D4, it seems like something is afoot. The question is, will it actually exist or will it be vaporware?

Thanks, Slippers. I keep coming back to the NF...albeit the x24 for another 2-ish ounces and compactness....and additional cost.
I rarely hear positive things about uso.

alamo5000
16 October 2016, 20:08
Any input?

Can I ask what you are going to be putting it on (IE the intended use) type of situation/rifle? I did a lot of reading on scopes a while back. I will have to dig up some notes if I can find them.

alamo5000
16 October 2016, 20:32
This one is out of my budget but I like it.

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/police-and-military-forces/1-8x24-pm-ii-shortdot-cc.html

Another one...

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/police-and-military-forces/1-5-8x26-pm-ii-shortdot.html

gatordev
17 October 2016, 03:34
The rifle will be essentially a mini-RECCE. And yeah, S&B is out of my budget as well.

I rarely hear positive things about uso.

Yeah, like I said, there seems to be binary reactions. So I take it if you're recommending waiting for SHOT, you're not saying wait for a USO offering? I'm not asking you to name names, just that it's not USO.

GOST
17 October 2016, 05:03
Gatordev I believe he's refering to the rumored Nightforce 1-8. Rumor floating around is that it's sub 20 oz.

Jerry R
17 October 2016, 07:07
I like the USO SR-8C. Will, I'm not seeing the aberrations you mention (does not mean they don't exist). I have several Leupold scopes (a fan boy here), but the USO (again - to me) is clearer and brighter; but I have not been able to fondle the CQBSS.

Mine in a BoBro waiting for the Sig 716 CQB stamp to clear ...
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5608/30305025025_2282e09793_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NaXb8t)USO in BoBro Stacked 1536 (https://flic.kr/p/NaXb8t) by Jerry R (https://www.flickr.com/photos/9663868@N05/), on Flickr

Slippers
17 October 2016, 07:13
Could be I've been unlucky and seen/used several poor samples, but I'm not the only person reporting this. Here's an m4c user with similar experiences, including some photos (and a particularly poor customer service experience, to boot): http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?156931-Anyone-with-a-USO-SR8C-near-Raleigh-NC&p=1974691#post1974691

Jerry R
17 October 2016, 08:35
Thanks for the link Will. Hope I got lucky with this one (last time I got lucky, I found my car where I parked it). I used a Sig 716 to mount and level it to be sure it cleared the rear BUIS. I ran it through the power range several times and at every level - very clear and bright with zero color variations or aberrations. We'll see how it holds up under bench use - hopefully the problems noted are not recoil induced. I did some research, obviously not enough, and missed this.

Tyrannosaur
17 October 2016, 11:59
Anyone have any experience with the Burris xtr ii 1.5-8? I know it isn't Nightforce durable but does anyone know if it's durable enough for some abuse?

gatordev
17 October 2016, 13:54
Gatordev I believe he's refering to the rumored Nightforce 1-8. Rumor floating around is that it's sub 20 oz.

Interesting. Guess I'll have to go do some reading/researching.

JGifford
17 October 2016, 15:17

There are lots of rumors, none of which I plan on confirming, but they are very appealing and sexy rumors.

GOST
17 October 2016, 15:27
Has anyone messed with the Minox ZP8?

gatordev
17 October 2016, 16:09
There are lots of rumors, none of which I plan on confirming, but they are very appealing and sexy rumors.

I hate you.

gatordev
17 October 2016, 16:14

I hate you.

GOST
17 October 2016, 17:09
If I was guessing a certain someone sold a Nightforce 1-4 in preparation for a certain rumor.

Slippers
17 October 2016, 17:43
This is one of those situations where it's like fight club. 1st rule: you do not talk about fight club.

UWone77
17 October 2016, 18:46
I hate you.

Just means it'll be ready for sale by SHOT 2018

gatordev
17 October 2016, 18:59
Exactly.

Tyrannosaur
17 October 2016, 19:09
Start saving for the Nightforce in a year... check

JGifford
17 October 2016, 19:30
If I was guessing a certain someone sold a Nightforce 1-4 in preparation for a certain rumor.

Honestly, no. Why? Because I have not heard a solid rumor on WHEN this new greatness will drop. I am pretty sure when it will be announced, and I know all sorts of things ABOUT it, but not the WHEN CAN I HAVE IT! Further, I am a fan of proven solutions. The company involved has done a ton of T&E and so forth on things, but I am still a fan of: "Has this thing gone to war?" The F-117's RAM paint washing off in a rain storm is a prime example of why this matters to me.

I sold my Nightforce 1-4, honestly planning on scooping up a Mark 6 1-6 TMR-D. I wanted another 2x out of the system.

GOST
17 October 2016, 19:36
I was just speculating since you have suggested to some to wait for the Nightforce 1-8.

JGifford
17 October 2016, 23:46
I was just speculating since you have suggested to some to wait for the Nightforce 1-8.

I don't believe I ever specifically said there would be a NF 1-8 (not that there will...or won't...or I'll ever say...). I simply said to wait for NF.

Slippers
18 October 2016, 06:54
Thanks for the link Will. Hope I got lucky with this one (last time I got lucky, I found my car where I parked it). I used a Sig 716 to mount and level it to be sure it cleared the rear BUIS. I ran it through the power range several times and at every level - very clear and bright with zero color variations or aberrations. We'll see how it holds up under bench use - hopefully the problems noted are not recoil induced. I did some research, obviously not enough, and missed this.

Sorry, missed this. The first time I looked at the sr8c and noticed issues was when they showed it at SHOT. This was quite awhile ago. That thread I linked is also a couple years old. It sounds like there may have simply been some teething issues to work through, and the current generation are top notch. I believe voodoo loves his, if I'm not mistaken?

JGifford
18 October 2016, 08:23
Sorry, missed this. The first time I looked at the sr8c and noticed issues was when they showed it at SHOT. This was quite awhile ago. That thread I linked is also a couple years old. It sounds like there may have simply been some teething issues to work through, and the current generation are top notch. I believe voodoo loves his, if I'm not mistaken?

Yeah, after he had to send it in for repair, right? Or was that someone else's that the dot went on a hike away from the center of the crosshairs on?