PDA

View Full Version : DD M4 carbine thread

Stickman
16 March 2009, 19:33
I just posted a quick review of the Daniel Defense M4 carbine. The initial plan was to hold off on the review until we had a chance to put rounds through it, and could give real world feeedback.

We had dinner with Daniel Defense at SHOT, and it seemed like everything was all set. Every plan seems great, but there is usually a glitch at some point, and as of now, we still don't have a weapon in hand to actually use. The weapon that was photographed matches the configuration of the 5 or 6 that I handled at SHOT, but it was loaned to me for this review by RA. This not one I will be pulling apart or beating on.

For people who care, fit and finish on this particular carbine is flawless. The parts are high quality, and the balance and feel of the weapon is good to my hands.

Any questions I can answer, I'm more than happy to give based on my experiences with them, and with Daniel Defense weapons and products in general.

Daniel Defense M4 Carbine Review Link (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7382#post7382)

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_8478-1028-WEVO.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_8459-1028-WEVO.jpg

jeeves915
16 March 2009, 19:45
So, on the advice of Stick, I just ordered one of these from Rainier. I swapped out the grip for a MIAD, and had one or two other tweaks done while they were at it.

This is my first AR, so, I'll be happy to post comments, but, I'll go ahead and admit they may not be the best quality. Hopefully it'll get here on Friday.
-Adam

Stickman
16 March 2009, 19:51
So, on the advice of Stick, I just ordered one of these from Rainier. I swapped out the grip for a MIAD, and had one or two other tweaks done while they were at it.

This is my first AR, so, I'll be happy to post comments, but, I'll go ahead and admit they may not be the best quality. Hopefully it'll get here on Friday.
-Adam

I would be throwing a MOE grip on it if I owned one. A MIAD would be the other option if I didn't already know the MOE fit my hand.

As far as DD quality, I carry one of their uppers on my duty carbine, and have for a couple years. If that doesn't say how I feel about their quality, I don't know what does. :)

Have you had a chance to handle one of them yet?

jeeves915
16 March 2009, 20:02
Stick:
Seeing as how I'm off on the opposite coast from Rainier, and the local gun shops here are not big on AR's...I've not gone hands on yet. So, pictures and the like will be forthcoming, as well as, "A noob gets his first AR". Probably an amusing read for all when it happens. Promise not to laugh...too much.

The changes I made were based on reading and recommendations (all Magpul Bits, etc). I'm still pondering optics, and TRYING to find PMags.

Pictures when I get it...and I'm rather excited, not gonna even lie.
-Adam

Stickman
16 March 2009, 20:34
We all started from the beginning, there is nothing wrong with asking for help. I can guarantee any questions you ask, will be wondered by plenty of others.

I sent you an IM, check it, it may be of some help, but its no guarantee.

adrenaline151
16 March 2009, 21:35
Would you keep that rear sight on there if you were going to mount an EOtech or Aimpoint, or would you switch to a folding rear? Would it be wise to wait until after my first carbine course to choose an optic? I'm hoping I'll be able to try out a few different options, and I'd also like to make sure I can hold my own with the irons...
And the two most important questions relating to the new DDM4....
1) WHAT can you put in the VFG? and
2) Is that a new style pmag, or an old one?

Stick, once again, amazing pics! Is there any chance of throwing a UBR, FailZero, and a MIAD on one of these puppies and trying it out as the extreme duty AR?

Stickman
16 March 2009, 22:22
Would you keep that rear sight on there if you were going to mount an EOtech or Aimpoint, or would you switch to a folding rear? Would it be wise to wait until after my first carbine course to choose an optic? I'm hoping I'll be able to try out a few different options, and I'd also like to make sure I can hold my own with the irons...
And the two most important questions relating to the new DDM4....
1) WHAT can you put in the VFG? and
2) Is that a new style pmag, or an old one?

Stick, once again, amazing pics! Is there any chance of throwing a UBR, FailZero, and a MIAD on one of these puppies and trying it out as the extreme duty AR?

I have nothing against fixed sights, so I would keep it. As far as the VFG, I'm not sure what it will hold, I think its good for 2 123 batteries, but I'm not positive. The PMAG is one that I grabbed which was sitting next to the camera, and its one of the new ones.

I'm not sure whats going on with the incoming carbine, so I can't say what we will or won't be doing with it. I can't see altering it from its basic configuration, especially when I haven't see any decent right ups on the weapon in actual use as of yet.

Glad you like the pictures, after I shot them I was a little disappointed, but I used them anyway as I was in a hurry.

rugburn
16 March 2009, 23:09
I picked one up last week and looked at the date on the Pmag. If I recall correctly, it was dated 10/08. It was the older style for sure though. This is my first AR and I love it so far. Had a short range session last Friday and am looking forward to a longer one later in the week.

rob_s
17 March 2009, 02:16
I too am waiting for a T&E carbine from DD, and even have an "assignment" from a print publication to write a review of it when I get it. Pretty anxiously waiting for it as I don't want to get "scooped".

I was very impressed with what I saw of them at SHOT. Agree that the pistol grip is probably the one thing I would change out, but I understand that they kept the A2 to match their new vert grip. Maybe I'll just stick an A1 and gapper on it so as not to mess up the aesthetic. [:D]

Army Chief
17 March 2009, 05:15
Obviously, this looks as great as expected. I'm curious, though, is DD a SOT, and if so, has there been any talk of a future factory SBR variant?

AC

Stickman
17 March 2009, 08:35
Obviously, this looks as great as expected. I'm curious, though, is DD a SOT, and if so, has there been any talk of a future factory SBR variant?

AC

They are building MK18 uppers for SOCOM, and I have one of their SBR uppers, but I think the money currently is with standard configurations, not extra paperwork models. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing this based on the political climate.

UDT
17 March 2009, 08:47
Thanks, for the update and the comments.

VR-15
17 March 2009, 09:50
When the DD came out all I saw were pics and when I got it in my hands I was very pleased. I bought mine from Rainier and this AR is a great buy. I've put 540 rds so far with out a hickup. It is as accurate as I can make it and a unique piece. I have nothing bad to say about this AR.

Heres mine.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/VLR4/DD%20M4/RainierLaRueDD014.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/VLR4/DD%20M4/3G019.jpg

On another note I'm glad to have joined this site as I've found it very useful in learning about new products and getting more knowledge of a very spendy hobby.

Gray
17 March 2009, 21:01
Per your recommendation (we talked a lot about trying to find an m4), I bought one of these from John on letterhead. I swapped out for a MOE grip, and I also put on a PRI Big Latch - Military.

The fixed sights are clean, effective and fast, a very nice design; that said I prefer folding rear BUIS and am holding out for a black MBUS.

I am currently running a T1 on an ADM mount, an X300 at 12 o'clock in front of the front sight, and a VTAC Mark 1 sling. I did have to perform 5 minutes worth of dremel and file to allow the MOE stock to fully close (short arms, armor and NTCH) while using the rear sling swivel socket (receiver end plate). I relieved the stock at that location and now it fits like it was made for it.

Good call on this piece, now if they just made a 6.8 version.

Ryo
17 March 2009, 22:16
I like the pictures too. Pictures you take are above and beyond other people's ability or standards.. but you probably push yourself to make each a little better. :)

And your right.. it's been long overdue for it's rightful review.

adrenaline151
18 March 2009, 16:24
Got mine today(two of them!) Awesome. It's raining so I'll try to shoot it on Friday. One for me, one for my brother. I asked John to switch out the A2 grips for MIADS, the birdcages for FSC556s and I added a Gasbuster CH on mine(had it from my Noveske). I've got to say, fit and finish wise, I can't see any discernable difference from my N4 Recce. Obviously the barrel is going to be different, but if I ever notice a difference I'll try to get a Noveske to put on there. I'd love to put a SS Noveske Afghan barrel(14.5) at some point, but I have a feeling it will take me more than a few afternoons to burn up the DD. Fire controls are a little stiff, but I'm sure they'll loosen up after a little use, and shooting time. Everything on this rifle is as it should be, I can't find anything negative, and once again, the guys at Rainier Arms were great. This may have been the longest week of my life, and I might have crashed UPS servers with constant tracking check ups, but it was worth it. I'll try to give a report of some kind once I get to shoot it, and I may even throw a 4-14 Nikon on there and see what can happen at 100 yards. I have a partial box of Rem. Match ammo somewhere here. I'm excited to see what the difference will be with the FSC556, this is my first time using a comp of any kind. Thanks to John at RA for answering all my questions about the DDM4s, and for helping me out getting consecutive serial numbers!

VR-15
18 March 2009, 17:59
Congrats. I also added the FSC556 and I love it. Well I hope the sun comes out for you so you can go have some fun.

Army Chief
18 March 2009, 23:50
It will be interesting to see if supply can keep up with demand on the DDM4, but I'm increasingly-impressed with the early returns on this carbine. Having options is usually a good thing, but having top-notch options is always a great thing: looks like the AR market just got another top-notch option.

AC

Ryo
19 March 2009, 02:13
If you really think about it.. would you expect anything less from DD. [:D]

Army Chief
19 March 2009, 02:50
Perhaps not, but I rarely have time to really think about much of anything these days. :)

AC

rugburn
30 March 2009, 02:31
What advantages does the FSC556 have over the stock flash sup.? Can it be easily changed out without using a gun smith?

Looking at the two QD sling points; the forward QD seems too close to the receiver for good balance. Has anyone mounted a sling using these points? I was considering a DD rail mounted QD so I could move it a few inches forward for better balance. Not sure if this is a real issue yet without ever trying the supplied points.

jeeves915
30 March 2009, 09:09
I use a 1pt sling with the rear receiver mount. Works fine for that application. I don't have a 2pt sling, so I have no clue on how it would work for that application.
-Adam

Stickman
30 March 2009, 10:13
What advantages does the FSC556 have over the stock flash sup.? Can it be easily changed out without using a gun smith?

Looking at the two QD sling points; the forward QD seems too close to the receiver for good balance. Has anyone mounted a sling using these points? I was considering a DD rail mounted QD so I could move it a few inches forward for better balance. Not sure if this is a real issue yet without ever trying the supplied points.

Pros and cons on the FSC556. Its expensive, but it does work nicely, and kills about as much flash as an A2 FS. It is nothing like the vortex or AAC Blackout, but if you are used to shooting with an A2FS, you should see a difference in muzzle rise while shooting.

Using a 2 point, or adjustable 2 point sling gives good handling with installed at those mounting points. Remember that these areas are set more for CQBC than for range/ bench shooting.

103m 95g
21 April 2009, 13:38
I bought a DDM4 today.

It is very lite weight, which surprised me
plan on topping it with an EOTech.
haven't decided on a sling

hopefully I can soon get the barrel as hot as my CC is right now.

103m 95g
24 April 2009, 13:15
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DD1.jpg

SKULL
24 April 2009, 18:45
might aswell play on this thread... [BD]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/dd001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/dd002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/dd005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/dd010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/dd009.jpg