PDA

View Full Version : A Brief Introduction and a potential group buy / WEVO exclusive

Axlnut
2 November 2016, 20:13
Good evening gents,

Some of you know me personally, some don't so I wanted to come out of my "registered lurker" status (been here since '09)

(although I'm not yet a site sponsor this is with admin approval)

My name is Kris Morris and I own KM3 Solutions, I would describe myself as an industry jack of all trades, I have licensed and collaborated on product designs (the Manticore Arms Transformer Rail, and other products in the pipeline from MA and Article II), and besides the freelance CAD and design work I do gunsmithing work ranging from stippling and cerakote to full 1911 and AK builds - those two being my specialties - and of course AR work.

KM3 has been a part time endeavor until very recently, and is now my full time gig. I will be offering a 15% (WEVO15) coupon code on my site for WEVO members - basically covering everything. There's not much on the online store yet, but as I add or if you need any services via phone or email, just let me know your a WEVO member.

Right now Cerakote is what I want to talk more about. A lot of you have reacted very positively to my various Cerakote jobs, in particular my woodland camo. What I would like to propose is a user-input designed WEVO exclusive camo pattern, available at more than the normal discount.

I'm not 100% decided on the mechanics of that yet, be it a group buy, a series of group buys, in collaboration with a manufacturer on a receiver/rail - or a little of each.

Let me know what you think, what would you like to see as a WEVO design, how would you like to buy it? Use your words, doodles, swatches, IDGAF, let's just come up with something cool all our own.

Thanks

alamo5000
2 November 2016, 20:19
That sounds kind of cool.

I have ideas in my head but I don't know the limitations of what can and can't be done with cerakote.

Can you put up some more examples here on this thread so that we can get an idea of what is possible?

When I think cerakote I think solid colors but like I said, I don't know much about that.

fledge
2 November 2016, 20:36
First, congrats on going full time. Good to meet you. And thanks for the generous discount!

Would love to be part of this. In fact I have almost all the parts on hand, ready to call you for some woodland.

An idea for a WEVO design. Do a camo and work the WEVO logo into the pattern and colors. At a glance nobody would notice. But on closer look, there it is.

I saw this recently (can't remember where at the moment) where the camo has a soldier silhouette in the digital pattern. Understated and unique.

Axlnut
2 November 2016, 20:51
Fledge - excellent idea, and thank you!

Alamo - sure thing, here's some camos:

Axlnut
2 November 2016, 20:56
Some distressed/"battleworn"

Obviously we don't have to limit to AR's - for the group buy idea probably best to start that way though. In the handgun realm Battlecock and I have tentatively been talking about combining for some work.. [wow]

Here's an example of what we can do with things like logos if not in the pattern as Fledge suggested:

Axlnut
2 November 2016, 20:58
As for the usual assembly - disassembly fees, I will be waving them for WEVO members for the meantime, and especially so with anything in the "group buy" realm. Also willing to discount work like de-pinning / perm attaching muzzle devices, etc. Just in case something like that is holding up getting the rifle you want the way you want. Perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.

Pyzik
3 November 2016, 03:28
Mmmmm. Following

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Joelski
3 November 2016, 04:18
This is what I want. I want something that no swinging dick for a huhdred miles around me has the same thing as I do. Just like most people I also like a little Esprit de corps. Those might seem like conflicting ideals, but a project like this would fill the bill nicely.

Pyzik
3 November 2016, 04:38
I have been thinking along the lines of Fledge as well. A multicam-ish or camo pattern with the WEVO logo somehow worked in there to blend in.

titanse05
3 November 2016, 05:28
You have my attention. Best part is that you are less than a 2 hour drive away from me.

Axlnut
3 November 2016, 08:32
Thanks for the support and feedback gentleman.

Seems like the growing consensus is to incorporate the WEVO logo in a subtle fashion. I completely agree but the logo is intricate enough that little small ones all over the place may get muddled.

Since each job is custom (I don't just cut one big stencil sheet and let the chips fall where they may, I try to fit things aesthetically around a gun's particulars) I'm wondering if 1-2 larger logos per plane wouldn't work best, but not starkly on top, actually buried in with the camo pattern weaving in and out - subtle but effective.

On that same point, Joelski I understand and mirror your thoughts - two solutions to be a series yet unique:

1; the way I just mentioned that I lay camo, every rifle will be the same general pattern and colors, yet unique

2; maybe we should break this into blocks or series. Say seasonal or environment. A woodland, a snow, an urban. Limit to a number per series. They would all generally match except for colors.

Doing it that way, if over time 50 people are interested, your particular rifle won't be one of 50, it would be one of 10 (if there were 5 series).

I feel like that would give time to save the money, get more exclusivety, pick something you really like - or be my best friend and collect them all ;)

Former11B
3 November 2016, 10:36
Fledge - excellent idea, and thank you!

Alamo - sure thing, here's some camos:

This is probably the most appealing cerakote job I've seen. I comment on it every time a new picture of it is posted.

What's the retail price on something like this?

Axlnut
3 November 2016, 10:51
This is probably the most appealing cerakote job I've seen. I comment on it every time a new picture of it is posted.

What's the retail price on something like this?

Thanks - and yeah that woodland style seems to be the favorite around here so far.

3-4 color masked upper/lower/rail/stock is $285, adding the matched buffer tube is + $40, so typically $325, WEVO price $276

I want to bring the cost lower still for the bespoke camo.

fledge
3 November 2016, 11:24
My thought was only one (maybe two, one each side) WEVO Logo in the pattern. Like a 2" size incorporated into the pattern around contours of magwell area or above trigger. Or do one large logo that overlaps upper and lower on the left side, mixed into the camo. Not a fan of the many logos scattered about, like the awful skull pattern camo I often see.

Calico Jack
3 November 2016, 11:52
M90 camo pattern that works in "WEVO" or the site symbol.

Axlnut
3 November 2016, 16:51
My thought was only one (maybe two, one each side) WEVO Logo in the pattern. Like a 2" size incorporated into the pattern around contours of magwell area or above trigger. Or do one large logo that overlaps upper and lower on the left side, mixed into the camo. Not a fan of the many logos scattered about, like the awful skull pattern camo I often see.

I'm down with this and sort of what I was getting at - starting to feel like it's the winner although want a bit more feedback.

I'm thinking the logo large enough to cover part of both receivers and even the rail, left side. Woodland type pattern, maybe some geometric, influence weaving in and out of the logo. IE for each pattern piece it may be in front of the arrow but behind the gear. Making the logo subtle but ED.

Logo color can compliment by offsetting the camo base colors. Can change between series. I'd like to do a hammered/battleworn look just within the logo to match the Damascus effect somewhat.

On the right side somewhere I would like to see a small WEVO in a cool font, overlapping the series number, ie; WEVO 1.2 (denoting rifle 1 of series 2). This can be relatively small - but I feel like it's important.

I'll try to draw up a rough sketch tonight yet.

Dstrbdmedic167
3 November 2016, 17:25
I need some camo of some type in my life. Following with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyzik
4 November 2016, 04:39
M90 camo pattern that works in "WEVO" or the site symbol.

That pattern is growing on me and I do think it would match well with the WEVO logo.

Axlnut
4 November 2016, 13:50
That pattern is growing on me and I do think it would match well with the WEVO logo.

I'm leaning towards an initial run of 5 woodland style, 5 M90/Swede style.

rxer311
4 November 2016, 14:24
I'll send you a receiver set and rail and you can use all the time you need to perfect it [:D]

Axlnut
4 November 2016, 15:08
I'll send you a receiver set and rail and you can use all the time you need to perfect it [:D]

The generosity here is truly astounding...

I think everyone will be happy with "very good to excellent" - perfection though, that takes years of study and observation in it's natural environment.. so just send along all the appropriate build-out parts and I'll study and observe while I shoot the hell out of it for a few years ;)

rxer311
4 November 2016, 15:31
The generosity here is truly astounding...

I think everyone will be happy with "very good to excellent" - perfection though, that takes years of study and observation in it's natural environment.. so just send along all the appropriate build-out parts and I'll study and observe while I shoot the hell out of it for a few years ;)

Since I just said receivers and rail I have no problem with u shooting the hell out of it for a few years...because that would mean I would get a completed rifle back in my hands! But in all seriousness I am semi local to you so when I send u my project you could use it as a guinea pig first.

Axlnut
4 November 2016, 15:41
Since I just said receivers and rail I have no problem with u shooting the hell out of it for a few years...because that would mean I would get a completed rifle back in my hands! But in all seriousness I am semi local to you so when I send u my project you could use it as a guinea pig first.

Very much appreciated, as I'm out of "raw" builds - was going to do the demo patterns on M&P 15-22 and other randomness.

rxer311
4 November 2016, 15:54
Very much appreciated, as I'm out of "raw" builds - was going to do the demo patterns on M&P 15-22 and other randomness.

Hit me up a message if you want to use my gear to get the ball rolling. I wasnt thinking about being able to do my project until after Christmas anyway but if u would like to mock it up let me know.

rxer311
5 November 2016, 10:31
Here is my idea for a custom WEVO cerakote. Take it or leave it.

Do a distressed Green tone/brown tone like OD, FDE, Patriot brown or some combination and give it the distressed look. On the side opposite of the forward assist have the WEVO cog in an off white distressed color.

Otherwise, the Camo jobs that Axlnut does are just nuts! If you go to his web page his distressed look firearms are equally as impressive.

tact
5 November 2016, 10:58
Distressed is played out.....

Axlnut
5 November 2016, 13:36

Eh - not if you do it right. Bad distressed was overdone for a while, but I don't think if done well it's "played out," instead has taken it's place as one option among many.

Axlnut
5 November 2016, 13:38
Here is my idea for a custom WEVO cerakote. Take it or leave it.

Do a distressed Green tone/brown tone like OD, FDE, Patriot brown or some combination and give it the distressed look. On the side opposite of the forward assist have the WEVO cog in an off white distressed color.

Otherwise, the Camo jobs that Axlnut does are just nuts! If you go to his web page his distressed look firearms are equally as impressive.

Thanks man! I need to work on the site gallery, I know it blows. Too many hats, too many kitchens at the moment with not enough chef to go around.

Also an update - thank's to rxer311 we have one set on the way, so that will fill one spot from the first two runs

rxer311
6 November 2016, 09:45
Thanks man! I need to work on the site gallery, I know it blows. Too many hats, too many kitchens at the moment with not enough chef to go around.

Also an update - thank's to rxer311 we have one set on the way, so that will fill one spot from the first two runs

Yes, he is going to use my set to mock up something for everybody. Any other ideas?

Stone
6 November 2016, 12:30
There is a color called Jedi Bronze that was created by a guy that is on this website, Hardeight. The place where he works isn't taking in any more outside work and I was wondering if you could replicate this color as I am wanting to have a rifle Cerakoted in it. Maybe some others will like it as well. Here are a few pics.
TOP LEFT: Shadow Bronze, Black, FDE, Jedi Bronze
Patriot brown on the right

Axlnut
6 November 2016, 12:55
There is a color called Jedi Bronze that was created by a guy that is on this website, Hardeight. The place where he works isn't taking in any more outside work and I was wondering if you could replicate this color as I am wanting to have a rifle Cerakoted in it. Maybe some others will like it as well. Here are a few pics.

Doesn't look to be much of an issue - although in the last pic it appears much lighter than the top pic.

I'm guessing it's Burnt Bronze with a dark metallic grey, or just Burnt Bronze and whatever amount of Graphite Black.

This was a similar color mix as what I take it was Shadow Bronze from the second picture. Burnt Bronze, FDE, Graphite Black

Stone
6 November 2016, 13:34
Yeah the first pic really does that color justice. It depends on the lighting when taking a pic of Cerakote. Its a real deep rich semi dark chocolate brown. I edited my post and the colors are above the pics now.

"or just Burnt Bronze and whatever amount of Graphite Black." This sounds vaguely familiar from the conversations that were had about that color.

Former11B
6 November 2016, 18:04

I think a distressed finish on a gun that is "distressed" from actual wear looks good. Not a fan of anything else. I do think it takes a great amount of skill/know-how to make it look right, but otherwise...it's not for me

rxer311
9 November 2016, 13:57
I am on the distressed look bandwagon.

Slippers
9 November 2016, 14:54
My wife gives me a distressed look every time another case of ammo shows up. Would be difficult to replicate that with cerakote.

Axlnut
9 November 2016, 15:11
My wife gives me a distressed look every time another case of ammo shows up. Would be difficult to replicate that with cerakote.

[:D] [:D] [:D]

I think we're off the distressed thing. Maybe one of the future runs, but to be honest I like to carry the distressed cerakote look as part of a broader theme vs on it's own, and maybe we'll do that.

I'm really leaning hard towards my woodland camo in a slightly modified version, it seems universally liked to tolerated, especially here - it's classic, clean, the colors compliment a lot of furniture options, gear, etc.

I'm really leaning towards the second option being a modified M90 type - but not the same colors as the woodland.

I have Rxer's set in hand to start experimenting, I think the biggest question I have is the logo color and style.

I'm basically locked into the idea of the logo on the left side, large enough to cover both receivers and a hint of rail, it will look especially sick on the SMOS stuff - but should it be bold, subtle, etc.

Help me out. Do it. Do it.

rxer311
9 November 2016, 15:47
I am more into subtle. Woodland Camo is always a safe bet. I am not sure that the logo bleeding onto all 3 pieces really works well but would have to see it to judge it. I think the logo would look good in "hidden white" against the woodland background with just the logo a bit distressed. It would be cool to see the M90 camo pattern as well. Lots of options. I really think the woodland camo looks great in Burnt Bronze/FDE/OD/Patriot Brown. Just more ideas.

tact
9 November 2016, 16:22
Something unique would be nice. I just think the "woodland camo" looks splotchy and cheesy.

rxer311
9 November 2016, 17:20
Or maybe even the logo in red if it can be made smaller. Sometimes an overly large logo can take away from the rest of the build.

rxer311
9 November 2016, 17:20
Something unique would be nice. I just think the "woodland camo" looks splotchy and cheesy.

Any ideas? Throw them out there.

Axlnut
9 November 2016, 17:34
Any ideas? Throw them out there.

Please.

That's for everyone - spit ball it all out there, maybe we'll stumble across something that ticks a box for everyone.

GOST
9 November 2016, 19:24
I think it would be better if you offered different paint schemes for our members at the group price. In my opinion it would be strange to see a bunch of our members have rifles with identical paint jobs, it would be like buying the identical truck your buddy just bought. Part of getting a custom paint job is that yours doesn't look like everyone else's.

Since some of the members like the distressed that could be an option. Your woodland could be an option also. Or offering different schemes and letting them pick their colors is another option. This is an old WEVO Multicam design:

Stone
9 November 2016, 19:54
Totally agree, for me the whole camo thing has been done to death. Its going to be impossible to get a bunch of guys to agree on a color scheme.
Reminds me of a drop down menu when looking at PC's.

Black
Multicam
FDE
Coyote.......[bash]

Axlnut
9 November 2016, 20:43
Point taken.

Since I do 15% for members as is, what I would do for a group buy scenario at an even steeper discount would look like this:

Pick your poison between distressed or various camo patterns, 3-4 color max.
A set parts profile for that price, ie; upper/lower/rail/stock on an AR
WEVO logo included in whatever works for that pattern - that is a must for me on the group buy price or it defeats the purpose

I like how the logo is set up in the multicam, although I likely would place it one location/color.

I now have one member set inbound for this project and one in hand, so look for two examples within a few days.

rxer311
10 November 2016, 03:18
Point taken.

Since I do 15% for members as is, what I would do for a group buy scenario at an even steeper discount would look like this:

WEVO logo included in whatever works for that pattern - that is a must for me on the group buy price or it defeats the purpose

I like how the logo is set up in the multicam, although I likely would place it one location/color.

I now have one member set inbound for this project and one in hand, so look for two examples within a few days.

I like this idea! That means I could pick my colors!

EO3
10 November 2016, 07:07
Point taken.

I like this idea quite a bit as well. I don't think we'll be able to get everyone on board with one single design, so I'm guessing this would probably be the best compromise. Also, thanks again for offering this! I'm excited to see how these first couple turn out!

rxer311
10 November 2016, 07:51
Well Kris...if we can choose our colors...

Could you do mine in a white tungsten black grey camo pattern with the WE logo in tungsten? I could then have my white with the WE!

schambers
10 November 2016, 13:24
Axlnut, you inbox is full. Just tried to send you a message.

Axlnut
10 November 2016, 16:00
Axlnut, you inbox is full. Just tried to send you a message.

Was in the woods with Battlecock blasting at tree stumps - just saw that, sorry about that. Made some room :-)

rxer311
17 November 2016, 11:05
Just checkin back in the thread to see if there were any design ideas updated. Can't wait to see whats going on.

Axlnut
17 November 2016, 17:39
Just checkin back in the thread to see if there were any design ideas updated. Can't wait to see whats going on.

Just started the first set (yours)

Hoping to have photo updates shortly [pop]

Pyzik
17 November 2016, 17:39
Just started the first set (yours)

Hoping to have photo updates shortly [pop]
Exciting! I wish I had things in place to send you mine sooner.

Axlnut
17 November 2016, 17:59
Exciting! I wish I had things in place to send you mine sooner.

rxer311
17 November 2016, 18:39
This thread makes me happy.

Thompson
18 November 2016, 07:39

Axlnut
18 November 2016, 18:21
Update very shortly - nixed the first go. Second is in the oven.

It. Is. Glorious.

fledge
18 November 2016, 18:23
Update very short- nixed the first go. Second is in the oven.

It. Is. Tiny.

That's what she said.

Axlnut
18 November 2016, 20:05
"Sorry to keep you waiting folks, complicated business"

Stickman
18 November 2016, 20:12
I like it. It's different, and a great quote to add!

UWone77
18 November 2016, 20:12
Dickmod and MFT Fail.

Otherwise... looks cool!

Axlnut
18 November 2016, 20:26
Dickmod and MFT Fail.

Otherwise... looks cool!

I don't pick the parts, take that up with Rxer311 - in fact last I saw he had that stock up in the classifieds; -)

Axlnut
18 November 2016, 20:27
I like it. It's different, and a great quote to add!

Thanks Stick - as things were taking longer than I thought using that quote popped into my head, I was all hyped up to have somewhere to use it!

rxer311
18 November 2016, 22:43
Wow! Looks better than I imagined in my head!

You sure thats my gear?

mustangfreek
19 November 2016, 02:09
You do some nice work, i can see some time in tha as I've dabbled a little in koting stuff myself and it takes time and more..but been wanting to do some kind of multicam and the more pics of it the closer I get..lol

Axlnut
24 November 2016, 13:43
Quick Update:

WEVO 002 should be wrapped up tomorrow.

This one with a more subdued logo color, and some really cool little extras.

Still on the individual and unique patterns for now.

rxer311
24 November 2016, 20:42
Can't wait to see #2

Axlnut
29 November 2016, 21:24
Hopefully this was worth the extra few days..

Fledge wanted a winter camo that would work well in the high elevation woodlines, wanted the Series Number tucked away somehow on the SMOS set, and like many others - wanted the logo ghosted in on this sit.

It was a bit of a challenge to get the browns and greens in, while being a completely fresh and new pattern. I feel like we nailed it though. Logo on the EO grip is just icing on the cake.

Let me know your thoughts - and more importantly.. Who's next?

Thompson
29 November 2016, 21:44
Really love how that subdued logo turned out.

fledge
29 November 2016, 22:31
We named this camo "winter swamp grass". A functional camo for a Grendel venison hunter in Colorado high mountain woodland. The light colors will blend with both aspen and snow, while the custom green and FDE will hide among grasses and evergreen.

Great job, Kris.

rxer311
30 November 2016, 07:17
I love how these are turning out! Would I be Biased if I said I liked 001 better? [:D]

BoilerUp
30 November 2016, 18:34
Nice work! I like the "winter swamp grass".